PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would be willing...

zandozan
9/22/2011, 02:27 AM
To join A&M and go to the SEC...and completely cut ties with OSU and Texas and play A&M in the RRR instead?

Pros: Join a stable conference, play a great schedule and make tons of money. Keep our recruiting ties in Texas. Never have to deal with the 40 acres again. Plus we get to put Texas in it's place by leaving them all alone in the sea of **** they have created.

Cons: We would have to be willing to cut ties with all our traditional rivals and conference mates, face tougher competition for championships, and NOT get to rub the Longhorns face into Bevo's steamy offerings year after year. Would the RRR be the same with A&M instead of Texas? Would you get as excited for that game? Plus would we be able to get out of the current RRR contract in order to replace Texas..I don't know how that is structured.

I doubt if this scenario comes about, but I am interested in your opinions on how willing we are to just ditch the whole thing and start new.

starclassic tama
9/22/2011, 03:01 AM
man really? i could have sworn that it is football season, not the off-season

King Barry's Back
9/22/2011, 03:48 AM
I am willing to go. That said, I do not believe that the PAC-12 rug was "pulled from under us" as Berry Tramel writes. I believe that option is still alive. I sure hope it is. Otherwise, we look pretty useless in this whole mess.

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2011, 03:54 AM
To join A&M and go to the SEC...and completely cut ties with OSU and Texas and play A&M in the RRR instead?

Pros: Join a stable conference, play a great schedule and make tons of money. Keep our recruiting ties in Texas. Never have to deal with the 40 acres again. Plus we get to put Texas in it's place by leaving them all alone in the sea of **** they have created.

Cons: We would have to be willing to cut ties with all our traditional rivals and conference mates, face tougher competition for championships, and NOT get to rub the Longhorns face into Bevo's steamy offerings year after year. Would the RRR be the same with A&M instead of Texas? Would you get as excited for that game? Plus would we be able to get out of the current RRR contract in order to replace Texas..I don't know how that is structured.

I doubt if this scenario comes about, but I am interested in your opinions on how willing we are to just ditch the whole thing and start new.

This idea is beyond awful. Not necessarily the going to the SEC part, but abandoning the rivalry with Texas. That is a large part of what college football is all about...the deep and long standing rivalries. If college football were the NFL then it wouldn't matter two-****s what conference or division you were in. Thankfully, this isn't professional football.

Nobody gives a **** about an OU/Aggie rivalry. The RRS* is special. Ohio v. Michigan is special. Hell, even USC v. Notre Dame is special.

Can people please please please quit ****ing with college football?

*I'm just not progressive enough to call it the RRR.

prrriiide
9/22/2011, 05:10 AM
I think the Pac statement last night was a clear middle finger directed straight at Ken Starr and Baylor. In a few weeks or months, when OU is inking their deal with the Pac, they can honestly say that they didn't look to OU/OSU for expansion; that it was OU/OSU that came to them. But then, I've always liked the idea of giving Ken Starr the finger.

prrriiide
9/22/2011, 05:12 AM
but abandoning the rivalry with Texas. That is a large part of what college football is all about...the deep and long standing rivalries.

texass should have thought of that before they took a giant shat on the rest of the conference.

zandozan
9/22/2011, 05:24 AM
This idea is beyond awful. Not necessarily the going to the SEC part, but abandoning the rivalry with Texas. That is a large part of what college football is all about...the deep and long standing rivalries. If college football were the NFL then it wouldn't matter two-****s what conference or division you were in. Thankfully, this isn't professional football.

Nobody gives a **** about an OU/Aggie rivalry. The RRS* is special. Ohio v. Michigan is special. Hell, even USC v. Notre Dame is special.

Can people please please please quit ****ing with college football?

*I'm just not progressive enough to call it the RRR.

Well I wasn't asking for the opinion of Baylor fans, obviously you want the Big 12 to stay as is and anything that threatens that causes fear and defensive posturing. I understand your stance though and appreciate your opinion regardless. I hope you're 'champion' banner isn't reflecting some sense of accomplishment on the part of Baylor however, as you had nothing to do with the Pac-12 side of things.

My own opinion about what I proposed is I'd rather stay in the Big 12 and rally the rest of the conference to stand up to Texas. I believe a collective force of 9 schools can put enough pressure on Texas to play nice with others. My main reason for posing the question is to gauge the collective anger toward Austin and to see how far the fan base is willing to go to alleviate it.

AzianSooner
9/22/2011, 06:12 AM
We will play any sucker in any conference.

BigJerm7
9/22/2011, 06:34 AM
I'd rather "put Texas in their place" on the field.

It's gonna be kinda hard to "replace" the rivalry with Texas.

Sooner1972
9/22/2011, 06:37 AM
SicEm you are obviously not objective, but your view that OU always has to do what Texass tells us is a perception that I'd like to see changed.

Sure, for BU, being Texass' lapdog is probably as good as you can hope for. OU, however, can hopefully show that we carry plenty of weight on our own and are not anybody's stepchild. Any situation would be better than the one that we are currently in.

Sooner_Tuf
9/22/2011, 07:41 AM
I'd be down for the SEC with A&M or preferably without A&M.

Let Texas start the we got too big for our britches conference with Utep, UTSA, TCU, Rice, Baylor, etc

zandozan
9/22/2011, 03:10 PM
I'd rather "put Texas in their place" on the field.

It's gonna be kinda hard to "replace" the rivalry with Texas.

I'm inclined to agree. It's difficult to replace a century of hate with a decade of puzzled dissatisfaction.

I just hope whoever we bring in will rally behind the rest of the conference and put real restrictions on the LHN. I'm not expecting to demand a sharing of their revenue, no one shares tier3 that I'm aware of, but we damn sure can put limits on what they are allowed to show. This national perception that we're all impotent against the will of Texas is wearing pretty thin with me.

OULenexaman
9/22/2011, 03:14 PM
IM ALL IN...

badger
9/22/2011, 03:21 PM
We should say this out loud for one reason: Leverage. We needs it and we no gots it anymore after the Pac-12's "sticking with 12" announcement.

A threat to open the SEC idea again is all it would take to get whorn back in line again. We have options for conferences if they don't budge. They don't, if they don't budge. Might as well budge!

SoonerPride
9/22/2011, 03:28 PM
I'm ok with...

1. joining the SEC
2. cutting ties with osu and never playing them again. 82-16-7 pretty much sums up the "rivalry." We've proven our point that osu is inferior.
3. leaving the same conference as texas. I see them as a cancer. the farther we are from them in conference the better.

However, I am not ok with
1. playing A&M in Dallas. either keep the game as it is or nothing. trying to replace * with ** doesn't make much sense and smacks of desperation. that would be like dating your ex-girlfriend's roommate out of spite. especially when she's not that hot to begin with.
2. giving up the RRR with * in the first place. We played the game for 95 years as non-conference foes. I see no reason why if OU went to the SEC we couldn't still play them, unless of course it hurt their feelings and they quit wanting to play OU. But OU should look to keep that game regardless of conference affiliations.

So I'm 50% in.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 03:34 PM
I'm cool with the SEC. Keep scheduling Texas. Toughest schedule on the planet. So what.

cleller
9/22/2011, 03:37 PM
I say lets go, if possible. The texas game is a great tradition, but not worth getting stuck in a place that will kill recruiting, etc.

Sooner1972
9/22/2011, 03:41 PM
I'd be down for the SEC with A&M or preferably without A&M.

Let Texas start the we got too big for our britches conference with Utep, UTSA, TCU, Rice, Baylor, etc

This is spot on! Who says the SEC has to be permanent??? Let Texass rot with all of the undesirables, and see how long that their fan base remains committed to their school's policy on dictating terms to everyone.

Tear Down This Wall
9/22/2011, 03:43 PM
Yes go to the SEC yesterday. It always made the most sense anyway.

Long-standing rivalries? Really. What about Baylor and TCU? What was that...102 years in a row Baylor forgot about in 1995? What about Baylor and SMU? 76 years in a row? Rice...74 years in a row?

Those are rivalries where Baylor actually won the game sometimes. So, basically, using SicEm's logic, the only rivalries that seem to count are the two where Baylor gets their as*ses kicked most frequently.

texas bandman
9/22/2011, 03:56 PM
I say go where Texas ain't!!!!

zandozan
9/22/2011, 04:30 PM
Another response to what Sicem said earlier, this isn't about trying to change college football and change rivalries. It's about dealing with conference mates on an equal footing and trust. The simple thing is, no one trusts Texas anymore...no one in the entire country. We are their partner in this conference but we have to constantly keep an eye on them or they'll steal the money out of the collection plate. It's being reported out west that Larry Scott was appalled at the arrogance of Dodds when trying to negotiate their inclusion to the Pac. His disgust forced him to pull the plug on the whole thing.

I absolutely hate seeing rivalries change or die. It is a crime that the OU/Neb rivalry is over. It will be a crime if the Aggies don't play Texas anymore. But I understand why they did it now more than I did before. I understand why Neb left. They weren't willing to deal with a group of people who refuse to treat others with equal respect. It's not about doing whats best for college football...it's simply about doing whats right.