PDA

View Full Version : Beebe out?

SOONER44EVER
9/21/2011, 08:32 PM
BREAKING: Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe will likely out by Thursday, replaced by Chuck Neinas, according to CBS Sports.

AzianSooner
9/21/2011, 08:48 PM
he is not the problem, Texas is.

Soonerfan88
9/21/2011, 08:48 PM
Chuck Neinas is a very good choice. Hopefully this is true.

Plexis22
9/21/2011, 08:50 PM
Either way the Big 12 is still dead conference walking. OU needs to get out NOW.

BajaOklahoma
9/21/2011, 08:50 PM
It's a start.

Soonermagik
9/21/2011, 08:51 PM
Either way the Big 12 is still dead conference walking. OU needs to get out NOW.

Agreed!! It's a watered down conference!

OUHOMER
9/21/2011, 09:03 PM
I am for saving the BIG 12- 10 - 9. I hate the PAC 10-12, I dont care for the SEC.

thecynic
9/21/2011, 09:05 PM
too little too late

BASSooner
9/21/2011, 09:17 PM
too little too late

yeeeeeeeeep. Though I like this step that we're taking, it will just be for a moral cause. Nothing more. This conference is a walking corpse that keeps decomposing. Gross.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 09:21 PM
he is not the problem, Texas is.

You havent been paying much attention the last few years have you?

Beebe is has made it a point to do what is in the best interest to Texas.

He left out details of the LHN so the schools would be okay with it. Or at least that is the rumor.

Beebe is freaking worthless as an commissioner.

cowrazer
9/21/2011, 09:23 PM
Texas likely goes indy in another year. This leaves everyone in a tight spot. Tough times ahead for all of us.

Breadburner
9/21/2011, 09:24 PM
Texas likely goes indy in another year. This leaves everyone in a tight spot. Tough times ahead for all of us.

Nope...

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 09:24 PM
Not it isnt.

Sure losing A&M hurts, but it isnt the end of the world if the conference can somehow work through this.

The largest problem facing this conference is trust.

If texas agrees to share 100% of tier 1 and teir 2 programming...then things will be just fine.

As it is now, teams do not share 3rd tier programming money. No conference does!

Also, if Texas can agree to no conference games or high school games on their LHN, then this conference will gain some stability and then can work on rebuilding their trust for each other and looking toward the future.

BASSooner
9/21/2011, 09:26 PM
Not it isnt.

Sure losing A&M hurts, but it isnt the end of the world if the conference can somehow work through this.

If texas agrees to share 100% of tier 1 and teir 2 programming...then things will be just fine.

As it is now, teams do not share 3rd tier programming money. No conference does!

Also, if Texas can agree to no conference games or high school games on their LHN, then this conference will gain some stability and then can work on rebuilding their trust for each other and looking toward the future.
Will never happen unfortunately.

mojohornfan
9/21/2011, 09:28 PM

Powers has already agreed to do so.........

GottaHavePride
9/21/2011, 09:29 PM
ZOMBIE CONFERENCE!!

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 09:31 PM

Texas has already said they will very much consider it. And I think Powers already agreed to it 100%.

mojohornfan
9/21/2011, 09:33 PM
And I think Powers already agreed to it 100%.

yep

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 09:35 PM
Also, BASS, you do realize that the Big 12 is the only conference where tier 1 and tier 2 programming is only shared 50%, right? And that came about when the Big 12 was being discussed in the beginning...Texas forced it then and say if they wanted 100% they wouldnt join the conference. So the Big 8 schools signed off on it.

Now the problem has never been Tier 3, it has been Tiers 1 and 2 programming and the LHN wanting to show high school and conference games.

I think Texas has conceded and the conference will survive, which is the best that can happen for OU and the rest of the conference.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 09:38 PM
With all that Said, Boren is the winner here! He got Texas to concede the profit sharing, and now, it appears he is getting his wish of firing Beebe...whom was an OU appointed commissioner in the first place.

Funnyh how OU was for Beebe then and Texas was against him. Now OU is against him and Texas is for him. LOL

Just goes to show, Beebe did everything to make Texass happy!

AzianSooner
9/21/2011, 10:00 PM
You havent been paying much attention the last few years have you?

He left out details of the LHN so the schools would be okay with it. Or at least that is the rumor.

Beebe is freaking worthless as an commissioner.

Yes and No. Like I said, Texas is the problem not him.

I read an article saying Beebee is a really good business man. He made ton of money for the Big 12. On the other hand, to keep his job, he has to make sure Texsas happy.

The previous Commissioner forced out by Texas cause he stood against Texas.

You wanna to keep your well paid job, don't you?

Beebee is not the problem, Texas is.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 10:04 PM
Yes and No. Like I said, Texas is the problem not him.

I read an article saying Beebee is a really good business man. He made ton of money for the Big 12. On the other hand, to keep his job, he has to make sure Texsas happy.

The previous Commissioner forced out by Texas cause he stood against Texas.

You wanna to keep your well paid job, don't you?

Kevin Wieberg wasnt forced out. He left for greener pastures.

mojohornfan
9/21/2011, 10:06 PM

OU seems to think differently....I wonder why? Maybe you should send 'em that article you read, because everything you read is correct....oh wait......

BASSooner
9/21/2011, 10:09 PM
OU seems to think differently....I wonder why? Maybe you should send 'em that article you read, because everything you read is correct....oh wait......
I'm afraid mojo is right on this one.

Beebe let Nebraska go, let texas have their own university network which also lead the departure of the aggies (another huge no-no).

Strike 3, YEEEEEER OUT!

OUTromBoNado
9/21/2011, 10:13 PM
BREAKING: Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe will likely out by Thursday, replaced by Chuck Neinas, according to CBS Sports.

When I first read this, I thought it said that Chuck Norris was going to be the replacement.

cccasooner2
9/21/2011, 10:14 PM
Texas has already said they will very much consider it. And I think Powers already agreed to it 100%.

Cheers

http://www.austinpowers.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/gallery/austin-powers-wallpaper/austin-powers-wallpaper-6.jpg

sooneredaco
9/21/2011, 10:16 PM
When I first read this, I thought it said that Chuck Norris was going to be the replacement.

Oh if we could be so lucky!

SoonerMom2
9/21/2011, 11:09 PM
Beebe didn't make it until Thursday -- KS Star saying he is out according to ESPN.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 11:43 PM
All of our demands will be met. Listen to 75. He knows what he's talking about.

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/22/2011, 12:04 AM
Not it isnt.

Can someone explain to me please what these tiered programming means? 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier programs?

i r not smart.

kevpks
9/22/2011, 12:09 AM
Can someone explain to me please what these tiered programming means? 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier programs?

i r not smart.

Examples:
tier 1: ABC, CBS, NBC
tier 2: ESPN/FOX Sports/FX, etc
tier 3: Longhorn network, online university networks (I'm not sure if PPV falls here but it seems like it would)

whiggles
9/22/2011, 12:56 AM
Chuck Norris couldn't save this conference.

mightysooner
9/22/2011, 02:25 AM
Beebe has been in Texas' pocket for years. We were right to call for his ouster.

King Barry's Back
9/22/2011, 03:58 AM

Does anybody have a source on this? If Beebee really covered up for TX, that would absolutely explain A&M's departure and the OU call for Beebee's head.

But it makes me wonder - If Beebee really did that, why didn't the league just fire him for cause?

prrriiide
9/22/2011, 04:57 AM

Let them go. It leaves us and OSU in as good or better of a spot than we're already in.

IMO, OU and OSU could walk away RIGHT NOW and take the majority of the conference with them, leaving texass to abuse their privates by themselves. EVERYONE is sick of them and their arrogance. Then re-constitute a more equitable and trustworthy conference consisting of OU, OSU, BU, TTU (although they will hold UT's jock for them), KU, KSU, MU, ISU, and add BSU, WVU, BYU, and TCU. Bring in one of L'ville/Cincy/AFA/CSU if TTU decides to play jock-sniffer. Basically leave whorn in an empty conference without an AQ bid. Let 'em keep their revenue and their little TV toy. Fat lot of good it'll do 'em. Hell, we can even let 'em keep Beebe at that point.

prrriiide
9/22/2011, 05:07 AM
Does anybody have a source on this? If Beebee really covered up for TX, that would absolutely explain A&M's departure and the OU call for Beebee's head.

But it makes me wonder - If Beebee really did that, why didn't the league just fire him for cause?

What did he know and when did he know it? Good luck proving that.

But whether Beebe knew ahead of time or not is immaterial. Between ESPiN and whorn, the entire league got sandbagged but good. It's just like an NCAA violation: if he knew - busted. If he should have known - busted. If he was duped and didn't take strong action in response - busted. Either way, there's the door Mr. Beebe.

I think Aggie's departure is one of utter disgust and revulsion at texass. Just because texass keeps waving their privates at us doesn't mean we have to look. AFA OU's demand on Beebe, there's too much money at stake to suffer a biased buffoon as a conference commissioner.

NormanPride
9/22/2011, 06:42 AM
ZOMBIE CONFERENCE!!

This is the new conference name, isn't it? The Zombie Conference.

I LOVE IT.

FriscoTXsooner
9/22/2011, 07:33 AM
Beebe leaving is a good thing, the powers to be need to handle Texas and the LHN and turn it into a Big XII network, similar to the Big Ten, then all schools are covered and compensated. Texas needs to take a powder and realize that the world doesn't revolve around them. Beebe has been in the sole corner of the horns. The next step is to bring 3 teams into the conference, what makes sense is to add TCU, BYU, and WV. Put TCU in the South, and move a current south team into the North. This will bring back the Conference Championship, but it also evens the playing field with the other conferences, and removes the free ride mentality that the other conferences would have because we lack a CC.

Sooner_Tuf
9/22/2011, 07:38 AM
Later Beeb, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split ya!

SoCal
9/22/2011, 07:47 AM
CURRICULUM VITA

C H A R L E S M. N E I N A S

NEINAS SPORTS SERVICES
6630 GUNPARK DRIVE, SUITE 200
BOULDER, COLORADO 80301
(303) 530-5566

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

1997 to PRESENT * PRESIDENT, NEINAS SPORTS SERVICES, INC.

Company designed to provide consulting services in sports, especially intercollegiate athletics, in areas of management, organization, television analysis and negotiation, and personnel placement.

* Retained as an advisor to the American Football Coaches Association.

* Retained as a consultant to Host Communications, Inc. in the development of the promotional program entitled "NCAA Football."

* Organized and developed Conference USA.

* Conducted an evaluation of athletic and/or football programs of several institutions.

* Retained by a number of institutions to assist in the hiring of athletic administrators and/or football and basketball coaches.

1999 to 2000 * CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD AND ACTING CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER,
ASCENT ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

* Negotiated sale of the company to Liberty Media Group.

* Supervised operations of Colorado Avalanche (NHL), Denver Nuggets (NBA) and privately owned Pepsi Center arena.

* Ascent was a majority shareholder of On Command Corporation, a leading provider of entertainment and information services to the lodging industry.

* Ascent also owned Ascent Network Services, primary provider of satellite distribution services for the National Broadcasting Company television network.

* Neinas had served as a member of the Ascent Board since 1995, before assuming chairmanship and CEO duties at the request of the Board of Directors.

1980 to 1997 * EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, COLLEGE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

* First executive director of the organization and responsible for the development of the CFA.

* Promoted the CFA as a forum whereby chief executive officers, faculty, athletics directors and football coaches could work together to achieve consensus on important issues related to college football.

CHARLES M. NEINAS - 2

* Assumed responsibility for promoting CFA sponsored NCAA legislation that included the improvement of academic standards (Proposition 48), the development of the continuing eligibility rule requiring progress toward a degree, establishment of more reasonable and enforceable NCAA rules including the development of the recruiting calendar and elimination of the alumni and boosters from the recruiting process.

* Negotiated television contracts and administered a television plan on behalf of the CFA members from 1984 through 1995 that included ABC, CBS and ESPN.

* Developed the "Good Works Team" and "Scholar-Athlete Team" to illustrate the positive accomplishments of those associated with college football.

* Developed, sold and implemented the "Promise of Tomorrow" program to Hitachi that provided $5,000 scholarships on an annual basis to individuals associated with the sport of football at all CFA member institutions.

* In conjunction with the Touchdown Club of Memphis, initiated the Academic Achievement Award that was given annually to the CFA member that records the highest graduation rate among members of its football squad. Since adoption of Proposition 48 (originated with the CFA) and with increased emphasis on football players completing course work to attain a degree, the graduation rate of football squads has increased from 41 percent to close to 60 percent.

* Initiated a variety of research projects designed to assist universities including an evaluation of the financial aspects of intercollegiate athletics. Other research projects relate to a retention rate survey for the benefit of football coaches to ascertain the impact of NCAA imposed grant-in-aid limits, student-athlete surveys designed to gain a better understanding of those involved in intercollegiate athletics, plus other studies conducted for a specific purpose, including the feasibility of a football playoff.

* In conjunction with the American Football Coaches Association, engaged in a series of negotiations with the National Football League in an effort to provide professional football with a greater understanding of the problems and concerns associated with college football.

* Some of the individuals that were employed by the CFA include John Kasser, currently president of Pac-10 Properties and former director of athletics at the University of California; Sam Baker, currently director of athletics at Georgia Southern University; Dave Ogrean, director of USA Hockey; Mike Bohn, currently director of athletics at the University of Colorado-Boulder; and Chris Kiser, Associate Athletic Director at the University of Northern Colorado.

1971-1980 * COMMISSIONER, BIG EIGHT CONFERENCE

* As chief administrator of the conference, streamlined operation and organization that resulted in improved communications between presidents, faculty, directors and coaches.

* Developed promotional and marketing programs for the Big Eight Conference that were subsequently copied by other conferences.

* Promoted "Big Eight Family" concept that resulted in Big Eight cities meetings involving municipal and university officials, representatives of the chambers of commerce and others. Because of the emphasis on cooperation, member institutions eventually conducted meetings in a variety of areas and initiated exchange programs between institutions that were financially advantageous.

* Initiated both the Big Eight Conference post-season basketball tournament and post-season baseball tournament.

CHARLES M. NEINAS - 3

* One of the first conferences to sponsor a championship program for women's athletics.

* Responsible for the development of the Collegiate Commissioners Association Basketball Tournament. Although the tournament had only a two year life span, it served the purpose of encouraging the NCAA to change its format and invite more than one team per automatic qualifying conference to participate in the tournament.

* Among those employed by the Big Eight Conference while Neinas was commissioner were DeLoss Dodds, currently director of athletics, University of Texas; Steve Hatchell, formerly commissioner of the Big XII Conference and currently president of the National Football Foundation; Bill Hancock, currently director of the NCAA Basketball Tournament; the late Prentice Gautt, long-time assistant commissioner of the Big XII Conference; Dick Martin, formerly director of athletics at West Virginia University and commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference; and Tom Starr, director of the Fort Worth Bowl.

1961-71 * ASSISTANT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
NATIONAL COLLEGIATE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION

* Served as secretary to the NCAA Council (policy making board of the organization) and Executive Committee (responsible for financial and business affairs).

* Supervisor of NCAA Championships including direct responsibility for the National Collegiate Basketball Championship and College World Series.

* Responsible for the development of the NCAA College Division Sports Program, including establishment of post-season football games that eventually became Division I-AA, Division II and Division III football championships.

* Served as NCAA Congressional liaison. Assigned responsibility to secure passage of the Federal Anti-Gambling and Bribery Statute and coordinated the efforts of the NCAA, NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA and American Football Coaches Association to secure passage of legislation.

* Responsible for NCAA involvement in Olympic and international affairs. Served as chairman of the organizing committee of the United States Gymnastics Federation, served on the governing council of the United States Track and Field Federation, assisted with the formation of the United States Wrestling Federation and served on the executive board of what eventually became USA Basketball. Represented United States basketball interests in meetings conducted in Montevideo, Uruguay; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Mexico City, Mexico, to obtain the international franchise (FIBA) for USA Basketball.

1957-61 * VARIOUS

* Employed by the University of Wisconsin Athletic Department. Responsible for the production of radio networks for Wisconsin football and basketball. Also served as play-by-play announcer and produced a football coaches show that was syndicated statewide.

* Sports Director, WKOW Radio and Television, Madison, Wisconsin.

* News and Sports Director, WEAQ Radio, Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

CHARLES M. NEINAS - 4

PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS

Member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, 1990-1993.

Member of United States Olympic Committee Board of Directors for eight years, 1963-1972 (two Olympiads).

Member of the initial USOC Development Committee designed to improve the United States efforts in Olympic competition.

Served as Chief of Mission for the United States Basketball Team that toured mainland China in 1973. This was the first organized group to visit China as a result of negotiations between Chinese officials and then Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. Included in the group were George Karl, North Carolina; Lon Kruger, Kansas State; Quinn Buckner, Indiana; and Kevin Grevey and Jim Andrews of Kentucky.

Chairman of the USA Basketball Games Committee for Men (Olympic Basketball Committee), 1976-1980.

Chairman, NCAA Olympic and International Relations Committee, 1972-1979, and recommended that the NCAA withdraw from the United States Olympic Committee that eventually resulted in reorganization of the USOC and adoption of the Amateur Sports Act of 1978.

Participated in Congressional hearings (Senate and House) in matters related to the Olympic movement, NCAA enforcement and Title IX.

Member, NCAA Legislative Committee, 1972-1974.

Member, NCAA Television Committee, 1972-1976.

Originated a program with the U.S. Department of Defense to provide good will tours of college athletes to Vietnam and the Pacific hospital area. Led the initial group visit to Vietnam in 1971.

*Recipient of the Amos Alonzo Stagg Award, highest award presented by the American Football Coaches Association, 1996.

*Recipient of the James J. Corbett Memorial Award, the highest award presented by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, 1999.

*Note: Chuck Neinas and the late Admiral Tom Hamilton are the only individuals
to have received the highest honor from both the AFCA and NACDA.

Recipient of the Outstanding Contribution to Amateur Football Award, presented by The National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame, 1999.

Recipient of the Contributions to College Football Award, presented by the National College Football Awards Association, 2006.

EDUCATION

University of Wisconsin, Bachelor of Science Degree, 1957
United States Naval Reserve, active duty for two years in the Submarine Pacific Fleet.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 10:35 AM
Cannot beat getting someone who knows the AD well at TX but is an old Big 8 guy. Also Prentice Gault worked for him. UT is about to meet its match and will go a long way in getting us the right Commissioner. After all he helped get us Joe C and Bob Stoops which are two of the biggest gets for any university. You can bet with him taking the interim job, he will get the conference on firm footing and whoever takes over will keep it up. If UT doesn't like it, there is the door and the other schools can reform the conference without UT. Believe with this pick, OU is playing hardball with UT and they get in line or get out.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/22/2011, 12:08 PM
B12 offices should move out of the state of tx also. OKC would be a good central location for it. Symbolic move more than anything.

Sorry, I meanm zombie conference offices.

badger
9/22/2011, 12:14 PM
I thought OU and OSU voted to move the conference offices to Dallas?

I wouldn't mind having the existing Big 12 members vote on it again though, along with voting on where the Big 12 football championship will be if we get 12 teams again.

If Jerry Jones cries foul, remind him that him much he charges for pizza, beer and parking at his monster.

bent rider
9/22/2011, 09:49 PM
Fake Beebe Unleashes Twitter Rant...

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/9/22/2443289/fake-dan-beebe-twitter-rant-transcript

kevpks
9/22/2011, 09:54 PM
I thought OU and OSU voted to move the conference offices to Dallas?

Put the Big XII office in Lincoln, Nebraska. I want to see Dodds have to go there for meetings.