PDA

View Full Version : That tradition rich game in Collie Station this weekend

The Maestro
9/21/2011, 05:20 PM
First time since 1975 aTm hosting a game with both teams ranked in top 10.

Only the 9th top ten battle OSU has ever played in.

Burp.

I sure love our tradition...maybe we see why GameDay wasn't there.

badger
9/21/2011, 05:28 PM
Texags has been whining that they don't get Gameday. Boo hoo!

I know it's "rag on West Virginia" week, but ESPN's Gameday has never been to Morgantown before, so it's cool for them to go now while they still can (read: while WVU is still ranked)

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 05:32 PM
Thank God they went to WVU and the game is now at 2:30. Helps us more than if it was a night game

badger
9/21/2011, 05:39 PM
Poke, your game plan MUST be as follows to survive this Saturday:

1- Run the d@mn ball. Pretend you have Barry Sanders again (just like you pretend that you already have his son, lol) and run, run, RUN that clock down to zero.

2- Run plays fast. Aggies get gassed easily it seems. Must be all the money College Station force feeds em. Mike Goodson still have an ATM in the endzone? LOL :P

3- Blitz the ever living crap outta A&M. And if you don't make it to Tanny, make sure your linemen and linebackers get hands in the air to block his passes.

4- Always take the points. If you are ever faced with goalline stands on fourth down, take your field goal.

Good luck, Pokey.

sooneredaco
9/21/2011, 05:48 PM
I wonder if the pokies will play any defense on Saturday...

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 05:55 PM
I think that Bill Young is going to trot out some new stuff that we haven't seen before. AnM LB's and front 3 have seemed extremely weak against the run so I believe that we do run, especially with the O-line that we have. Here's my bold Prediction for the game:

200 yards rushing from OSU. 220 yards passing. Blackmon goes for 150 and 2 tds and we win 35-31. That's how I think it'll play out.

But more than likely we won't run as much as BW will go for 350 in the air, mostly on short crossing routes mixing up their LB's in space

cvsooner
9/21/2011, 06:01 PM
I just can't see OSewe winning in College Station. A & M looked pretty good to me in their opener. Guess we'll see.

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 06:02 PM
Also my favorite Texags quote, especially considering you guys are just down the road.

"OSU will play their best because they want to beat the best. A&M is the most tradition rich football program in the conference, and now that the ags are leaving it will give them extra motivation. But the ags are too good this year."

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 06:03 PM
I just can't see OSewe winning in College Station. A & M looked pretty good to me in their opener. Guess we'll see.

With SMU's receivers running wide open behind their secondary, except they dropped everything. I could understand looking good against Idaho, but not SMU.

C&CDean
9/21/2011, 06:04 PM
Ags vs. Ags. lose/lose I'm thinking.

sooner ngintunr
9/21/2011, 06:17 PM
aTm 200 yds rushing. Over/under. I'll take the over. Little brother is going to get mudholed.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 06:56 PM
Also my favorite Texags quote, especially considering you guys are just down the road.

"OSU will play their best because they want to beat the best. A&M is the most tradition rich football program in the conference, and now that the ags are leaving it will give them extra motivation. But the ags are too good this year."

If grabbing your nuts and yelling is a rich tradition, then I'll have to give 'em that one.

limey_sooner
9/21/2011, 07:02 PM
a game where I wish there was still no overtime in college football, then I could at least cheer for neither one of them to win.

8timechamps
9/21/2011, 07:34 PM
I am actually interested in this game. Either one (or both) of these two teams are overrated, and I suspect it's A&M. But, that nuthouse is a tough place to play.

In the end, the only good outcome would be for them both to somehow lose.

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 07:34 PM
aTm 200 yds rushing. Over/under. I'll take the over. Little brother is going to get mudholed.

Under on that? Sig bet maybe?

En_Fuego
9/21/2011, 07:36 PM
Ags vs. Ags. lose/lose I'm thinking.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/suekes/Animal%20figures/twosheep.png

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 07:42 PM
The real winners or losers depending on what side you look at, is the sheep that will be in College Station this weekend.

AlbqSooner
9/21/2011, 07:48 PM
a game where I wish there was still no overtime in college football, then I could at least cheer for neither one of them to win.
If there were still no overtime, I would wish for a tie. 2-2.

tfoolry
9/21/2011, 07:49 PM
Some are saying this '11 Aggie team has the best offense of all time.

thecynic
9/21/2011, 07:51 PM
both teams are about the same as they were last year. and if Jarrod Johnson doesn't puke down his leg the collies win going away last year. so I don't think the pokes will win this year. plus Weeden for all his accolades has never played in front of a true hostile crowd. This will be his first of few road tests. I figure a 10 point collie win.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2011, 07:53 PM

Tulsa basically ran the ball at will on the cowgirls. If it would've been a close game they could've ran for as many yards as they wanted. A&M could put up Georgia Techesque numbers this weekend.

soonergirlNeugene
9/21/2011, 07:56 PM
If they run plays fast, A&M's defense will just start flopping on the field.

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 10:11 PM
both teams are about the same as they were last year. and if Jarrod Johnson doesn't puke down his leg the collies win going away last year. so I don't think the pokes will win this year. plus Weeden for all his accolades has never played in front of a true hostile crowd. This will be his first of few road tests. I figure a 10 point collie win.

How can you be so sure about this. For as many turnovers as JJ had last year, he still made some ridiculous plays that I haven't seen RT make yet, and I don't think that he could. Plus it would've been his first ever time to be taking snaps in a game, especially with that much pressure on him. Plus Cyrus had something like -3 yards on the ground or something like that, so I'm not so sure that they could've just turn to the run to bail them out.

Tulsa basically ran the ball at will on the cowgirls. If it would've been a close game they could've ran for as many yards as they wanted. A&M could put up Georgia Techesque numbers this weekend.

Doubtful. I'm not worried about what Tulsa did at all. If the game would've been at a normal time with normal conditions, then yea, I would probably be worried. AnM will have under 200 yards on the ground. Take it to the bank

8timechamps
9/21/2011, 10:39 PM
...A&M could put up Georgia Techesque numbers this weekend.

That's my new saying this season:

Georgia Tech'd: To get the **** beat outta you. Example: Poor Ball State, I bet they didn't realize they were going to get Georgia Tech'd in Norman this year when they scheduled the Sooners.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2011, 10:41 PM

Doubtful. I'm not worried about what Tulsa did at all. If the game would've been at a normal time with normal conditions, then yea, I would probably be worried. AnM will have under 200 yards on the ground. Take it to the bank

You do know it was late at night for the Tulsa offense too, right? And they were running on the same wet field as your defense. Lame excuse.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2011, 10:51 PM
...A&M could put up [b]Georgia Techesque]/b] numbers this weekend.

That's my new saying this season:

Georgia Tech'd: To get the **** beat outta you. Example: Poor Ball State, I bet they didn't realize they were going to get Georgia Tech'd in Norman this year when they scheduled the Sooners.

I was referencing the obscene amount of rushing yards GT had against Kansas. Next Monday we may be saying something like, "Texas A&M went all Georgia Tech on the loSur D Saturday. They could've piled up 500 rushing yards if they hadn"t pulled their starters in the 3rd quarter."

picasso
9/21/2011, 11:34 PM
Part of me wants to see the Pokes lose but I'm of the opinion that anything aTm should die like the Gomer wannabe bastards that they are.

CowboyMRW
9/21/2011, 11:37 PM
You do know it was late at night for the Tulsa offense too, right? And they were running on the same wet field as your defense. Lame excuse.

I didn't state an excuse in my quote. I said that if it would've been normal circumstances and we gave up that many rushing yards, then yea I would be worried but I'm not. I'll bet that we hold AnM to under 150 on the ground.
If anyone wants to do a friendly wager on that just PM me or reply here. I'd love to see some OSU sigs on this board :tongue:

ouwasp
9/22/2011, 12:32 AM
Reasons I want the pokes to lose:
1. To silence their god-awful fans, for a while anyway. MRW is an exception.
2. So the dumbazz sportswriters won't have a stroke this December if two undefeated teams were mtg. Can you imagine the crap they would print, special sections and everything? Please, no.
3. So T Boone can see his $$ go down the tube. His $ have made an obscene, profound difference. But the $ won't buy a poke mnc in his lifetime. I hope. RIP in the far future Mr. Pickens.

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 01:14 AM
C'mon Wasp. Couldn't you see a Bedlam meeting in December that was for a Big 12 championship and quite possibly a MNC appearance be one of the most awesome things. :cower: I hate losing anytime, and I have quite a few OU family members and friends that I get my fair share of good-natured ribbing from every Thanksgiving. But I would be able to stomach that loss much more easily than I will a loss Saturday. I hate AnM more than any other school in the nation, and I don't think I could take a loss to Sherman.

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 01:15 AM
But fair point about the writings that they would print in the newspapers and magazines across the state. That would get annoying pretty quickly.

King Barry's Back
9/22/2011, 05:01 AM
"A&M is the most tradition rich football program in the conference, "

They are, and they aren't, depends on what you mean by "tradition." If you mean "silly college pranks that nobody else can stand," then yes, A&M may be the most tradition rich school in all of college football.

But if you mean "championship tradition," then OU takes this by a wide margin. No need even to discuss it.

SoonerTerry
9/22/2011, 06:20 AM
Also my favorite Texags quote, A&M is the most tradition rich football program in the conference,

...pppst..... someone needs a "random" drug test

Sooner_Tuf
9/22/2011, 06:50 AM
I am torn a little on who I want to win this one, not a lot but a little. On one hand if A&M wins hopefully the pokes will retreat back to their board and that is a good thing. On the other hand whoever loses drops out of the top ten for sure. Which could reduce the excitement of bedlam (you know where anything can happen but only one thing ever does).

This talk of Bedlam being for the national championship is bunk. If OU is undefeated it could be for OU going/not going to the national championship game. OSU is not going, no way. There are too many teams ahead of them. They will never get any love for their crappy out of conference schedule. They will never jump the OU, the SEC teams, Boise, or an undefeated Wiscy (should they be so). So OSU will be at best relegated to potential spoiler duty.

OSU has never won the Big XII and I think it would be nice if they never do. I don't like a single osu fan that I have met and I do like a few Ags. Even the Aggies I don't like are not intolerable like the Aggy's from Stillwater.

I guess I will have to root for A&M to run for about 600 yards on the vaunted candy bar consumers. Then I will get to hear if you take away those four 80 yard TD runs A&M had they ran for less than 300 yards. We will also get to hear how Weeden played with a broken shoulder or neck possibly. How Blackmon really should have had his leg amputated but was holding out until after the game. Because that is how good a team mate he is.

Hopefully Texas beats them 3-0 and if by some chance they drop another game before bedlam they can still have a better season than they normally have and we probably don't have to see them or that god awful color they wear very often. Until next year at least.

I just have one question. At an Aggy Funeral do you think they really wear black and orange?

King Barry's Back
9/22/2011, 07:03 AM
Tuf, I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Thanks for posting.

soonersam
9/22/2011, 08:27 AM
Who is the Texas A&M you speak of?? They are dead to me

FirstandGoal
9/22/2011, 08:49 AM
C'mon Wasp. Couldn't you see a Bedlam meeting in December that was for a Big 12 championship and quite possibly a MNC appearance be one of the most awesome things. :cower: I hate losing anytime, and I have quite a few OU family members and friends that I get my fair share of good-natured ribbing from every Thanksgiving. But I would be able to stomach that loss much more easily than I will a loss Saturday. I hate AnM more than any other school in the nation, and I don't think I could take a loss to Sherman.

Oh, anytime we take the field this year it will have national championship ramifications, but to assume that Bedlam will be different than any other OU appearance is just short of ludicrous.

Pokes possibly aren't even the 3rd best team in conference this year. Did you guys forget you don't have eleventy-billion home games this year?

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 11:42 AM
Oh, anytime we take the field this year it will have national championship ramifications, but to assume that Bedlam will be different than any other OU appearance is just short of ludicrous.

Pokes possibly aren't even the 3rd best team in conference this year. Did you guys forget you don't have eleventy-billion home games this year?

Please do tell what 3 teams are better than us. I'm assuming you'll say OU and AnM, so please do tell the other. Mizzou? Seen them play and their defense was as porous as ours, but the offense not as good. Advantage OSU.
Texas? Great defense but again how will they score enough to beat OSU? Advantage OSU.
Tech? That one worries me a tad bit being at the Jones, but we shall see if they're any good in the next 4 weeks

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 11:47 AM
This talk of Bedlam being for the national championship is bunk. If OU is undefeated it could be for OU going/not going to the national championship game. OSU is not going, no way. There are too many teams ahead of them. They will never get any love for their crappy out of conference schedule. They will never jump the OU, the SEC teams, Boise, or an undefeated Wiscy (should they be so). So OSU will be at best relegated to potential spoiler duty.

If OSU does go undefeated they will jump OU because of h2h. They will jump Boise because of strength of schedule. Wisconsin I think loses one game this year somewhere. Obviously the SEC teams are going to be in the New Orleans in January, but only one. They won't take 2 teams.
So if OSU is undefeated, pretty much the only team standing in front of them for a potential spot in the MNC is Wisconsin.

Breadburner
9/22/2011, 11:47 AM
The pokes are fortunate Texas is down and Mangino and Leach were fired.....You are still the same 8-4/7-5 team you have always been.....

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 11:52 AM
Mangino had 1 good year, and we traded wins with Leach every other year. Leach never won in Stillwater while he was coach, even when we lost to Baylor, and we never won in Lubbock while he was coach.

I know it's hard to give credit to the team just up north, but we have a pretty good squad. We're not the same 8-4/7-5 team as you will. Plus other teams have stepped up to take the teams place that is down. AnM, Mizzou, OSU have all stepped up and become pretty good teams.

Landthief 1972
9/22/2011, 12:11 PM
Grampa Weedon threw what, 3 INTs, against Lousiana-Layfeyette? At home? What is he going to do when he gets to the tacklebox and all the crotchgrabbin', towel-wavin' knuckleheads are making the upper-upper-upper decks sway 30 yards in either direction?

What's the over/under on Weedon peeing down his leg in the first offensive series?

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 12:25 PM
Games aren't linear. Yea he threw 3 against LaLa (although one was just a fluke play) but only 1 against Arizona who has a much better defense. I'm just saying that you can't predict upcoming games based off of 1 game, which was the first of the season. Anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

BeaSooner
9/22/2011, 12:25 PM
If OSU does go undefeated they will jump OU because of h2h. They will jump Boise because of strength of schedule. Wisconsin I think loses one game this year somewhere. Obviously the SEC teams are going to be in the New Orleans in January, but only one. They won't take 2 teams.
So if OSU is undefeated, pretty much the only team standing in front of them for a potential spot in the MNC is Wisconsin.

AND if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

FtwTxSooner
9/22/2011, 12:32 PM
I hope for a good, clean, physical, hard hitting game that leaves both teams banged up for the rest of the season.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/22/2011, 12:33 PM
I pray for the game to be delayed until after midnight so I can go to bed and not have to hear about it either way ;)

picasso
9/22/2011, 01:48 PM
Mangino had 1 good year, and we traded wins with Leach every other year. Leach never won in Stillwater while he was coach, even when we lost to Baylor, and we never won in Lubbock while he was coach.

I know it's hard to give credit to the team just up north, but we have a pretty good squad. We're not the same 8-4/7-5 team as you will. Plus other teams have stepped up to take the teams place that is down. AnM, Mizzou, OSU have all stepped up and become pretty good teams.
Mangino played in a BCS bowl. oSu has no idea what bowl game is played in Miami.

badger
9/22/2011, 01:55 PM
Mangino played in a BCS bowl. oSu has no idea what bowl game is played in Miami.

(checking their wikipedia page)

HEY, you're RIGHT! Well, unless the Gator Bowl is there, or the Tangerine Bowl, but I think those are in Tallahassee and Orlando. No idea.

Plus, KU won three-straight bowl games during those top Mangino years. Has Poke ever done that recently? Or ever?

(checking their wiki again)

...NO! Not in consecutive years, at least. Technically, they won '58 Bluegrass, '74 Fiesta and '76 Tangerine... does that count? :stunned:

SoonerInFortSmith
9/22/2011, 03:30 PM
Games aren't linear. Yea he threw 3 against LaLa (although one was just a fluke play) but only 1 against Arizona who has a much better defense. I'm just saying that you can't predict upcoming games based off of 1 game, which was the first of the season. Anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

Didn't he also throw 2 against Tulsa? And we know the game was late at night and the turf was wet and all that jazz.

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 04:06 PM
Didn't he also throw 2 against Tulsa? And we know the game was late at night and the turf was wet and all that jazz.

Yea he had 2. The first one was a crossing route across the middle and the receiver missed it and tipped it straight in the air. The second one was with 2 seconds left on the clock in the first half.

CowboyMRW
9/22/2011, 04:09 PM
The point I was getting at with Mangino was that while he was there I only remember him beating us his Orange Bowl year.

Breadburner
9/22/2011, 04:12 PM

They also made osu play outside......

Salt City Sooner
9/22/2011, 04:17 PM
A&M is the most tradition rich football program in the conference
R.
O.
F.
L.

Throw this one on their board & see how well it goes over:

A&M won their one & only NC in 1939. Since that year, 1956 is the ONLY year they have finished in the top 5 of either poll.

They may have a ton of tradition, but it hasn't been on the field.

I Am Right
9/22/2011, 04:19 PM
I hope A & M puts half a hundred on them by half time.

badger
9/22/2011, 04:44 PM
The point I was getting at with Mangino was that while he was there I only remember him beating us his Orange Bowl year.

OK, but the point I was making was that their best year was better than any of your best years.

I remember those KU invaders at our Lloyd Noble (on principle, NP and I felt compelled to attend one men's basketball game this past season, and it just happened to be KU to we could also catch baseball and womens basketball) still wearing shirts for that season, because not only did they go to the Orange Bowl AND WIN, that was also the year they won the national title in basketball.

It was truly a magical year for Jayhawk sports... and OSU has had nothing close ever in the two dominant sports.

(and before you chime "OU hasn't either!", Big 12 football title, Rose Bowl and Elite Eight in 2003)

But eff it. Go beat Aggie. Put them outta their Big 12 misery.

Sooner_Tuf
9/23/2011, 07:20 AM

Whoa Nellie! Don't be so sure of that. But what is this IF osu goes undefeated? How many years did it take OSU to win ten games in one season? 100+?

Heck I wouldn't shock me if Iowa State knocks off osu this year. They are undefeated and have played a better schedule so far. It's not like they have never beaten OSU before.

You're in the wrong place to toot the poke horn here. We all know who and what you are. You need to be on a delusional dolt board or at least go to one that has never heard of OSU, that can't be too hard to find.

badger
9/23/2011, 08:42 AM
Cowboy's good people and he's the only resident Poke fan left here. Go easy on him :D

He is 100 percent correct that if OSU goes undefeated they would be Big 12 champs and possibly vying for a nat'l title spot.

But we all know OSU is not going undefeated :D

1- They haven't beaten us in a billion years. (about 9 years now, I guess?)

2- They've never won the Big 12 (NEVER!)

3- They've never gone undefeated (they even failed at going complete defeated, 0-10... and ONE! lol)

So while OSU would be Big 12 champs if they would go undefeated, do any lurkers from OP realize how many undefeated Big 12 programs are left right now?

(Answer: Every single one, except Mizzou and Kansas)

In addition, it is possible that only one team will get added to that distinguished list this weekend. If we beat Mizzou, the only other Big 12 team guaranteed a defeat... is you or A&M. At A&M. Heh.

Don't get too high on yourself for beating U-La-La, Arizona and Tulsa. With the exception of the Cajuns, your victories come over LOSING teams.

HAMTTX
9/23/2011, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry but I want OSU to win. I just do not like A&M, never have. I have had to deal with to many of them over the years. There is something down right strange about that group. That grabbing thing they do does not go well on TV. When I watch their games on TV with my friends in Georgia they look at me and ask "what's that all about" I just tell them that we try to not pay attention to them, and maybe they will go away.

saucysoonergal
9/23/2011, 10:07 AM
Swine Research Facility v. Collie Worshippers. Dang, that is a hard choice.

badger
9/23/2011, 10:26 AM
It's win-win no matter who loses, really, because you know that both Aggy and Aggie think they are going to win the Big 12 and be in line for a national title bid this year and one loss derails that... and one of them has to lose.

Considering the epic meltdowns I've witnessed on texags in the past, I have to give the edge to OSU here. Cheer for OSU, tune into texags for the next several days for viewing fun.

And really, OP will have a lot of fun melting down as well. When every year is "the year," you are just setting yourself up for a very public internet disappointment :stunned:

Anyway, go OSU. A&M needs to be brought down a notch to be reminded why the SEC is such a bad idea. Then, Arky can remind them again in a week or whenever they play. And then we'll remind them eventually too.

King Crimson
9/23/2011, 10:53 AM

he also won that game.

i give the Pokes a lot of credit the last couple years with Gundy. However, i'm pulling for ATM (never happens) since we get the Ags at Owen Field. not exactly thrilled to play in Stillwater for the 2nd year in a row. and we've gone rabbit/hat the last two times up there.

Soonerjeepman
9/23/2011, 12:24 PM
I didn't state an excuse in my quote. I said that if it would've been normal circumstances and we gave up that many rushing yards, then yea I would be worried but I'm not. I'll bet that we hold AnM to under 150 on the ground.
If anyone wants to do a friendly wager on that just PM me or reply here. I'd love to see some OSU sigs on this board :tongue:

really...?..basically that is what you are doing...in my opinion...you give out a scenario and say if it wasn't those conditions and they still did what they did you'd be worried...so the conditions override your worry...that is an excuse in my book...just sayin.

badger
9/23/2011, 12:32 PM
If anyone wants to do a friendly wager on that just PM me or reply here. I'd love to see some OSU sigs on this board

Oh yeah, I'd love to have possession of a Poke avatar and sig again. I would totally put up both of mine for yours after we inevitably crush the Pokes at home again.

Don't worry, I'm nice about it. Since you seem to be on OP a few times, I'm sure NYCPoke will tell you what a lovely avatar I gave him. :D