PDA

View Full Version : UT is very liberal and has the most liberal professors in the State of Texas!

SoonerMom2
9/21/2011, 03:54 PM
This is for the Rookie who started the thread on the main board inferring if you were a Republican you were on the side of UT.

That is Bravo Sierra as Travis County, home to Austin, and UT is the most liberal county in Texas and belong in SF not in TX.

I know parents who will not allow their kids to go to UT because it is so liberal -- some have come to OU and others have gone to Baylor -- good friend of my son whose grandparents refused to spend a dime on his education if he went to UT.

We lived there for almost 8 years in the most Republican County in TX -- Dems had to get Republicans to sign off on their petitions to run for office to lose. It is also the only county with a town that was part of the north in the Civil War and they have a yankee soldier statue in the middle of their town square. It is also the county that the Sheriff and his sons stood guard over the ballot boxes as LBJ thugs were rounding up boxes around the state when he ran for Senate. It made the TX history books. The man was still the Sheriff when we moved there and proud of the fact that our county had never voted for LBJ.

When Clinton was running in 1996, he only got 2500 people out to a rally in San Antonio on a Saturday and Hillary stopped her trip through the TX Hill Country after two stops when her people discovered it was extremely Republican and didn't like the Clintons. When Bill Clinton arrived at Kelly AFB, he was met by a Lt Colonel -- the two Generals and all the Colonels had plans elsewhere and couldn't be there on a Saturday.

That's my two cents about the liberal bastion of Austin!

JohnnyMack
9/21/2011, 03:59 PM
Austin is liberal?!?!?!?!?!

Holy ****!

Japs bomb Pearl Harbor!!!!!!!

What's for dinner?

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2011, 04:01 PM
hmmm, I'm Republican and can't stand the horns...

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2011, 04:08 PM
Professors = Liberal

I prefer my academia and media to be liberal, as long as they are fair. Otherwise, everything remains stagnant.

I prefer my Geopoliticians to be conservative. History is on my side on this.

Midtowner
9/21/2011, 04:10 PM
Most kids going to UT are going to show up with extremely conservative world views because that's the typical family experience in upper middle class USA homes. If you are conservative, you shouldn't be scared by having someone challenge your preconceived notions.

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2011, 04:14 PM
Most kids going to UT are going to show up with extremely conservative world views because that's the typical family experience in upper middle class USA homes. If you are conservative, you shouldn't be scared by having someone challenge your preconceived notions.

Exactly. Nothing is square, there are no straight lines in nature. Listen to everyone, regardless of whether you agree, and your character will become rounded and structurally stronger.

badger
9/21/2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I've found that college kids often come in conservative, leave a little bit more liberal, then return to being conservative by graduation, provided that they didn't major in liberal arts degree programs.

A lot of it, I think, stems from being surrounded by people just as broke as them, then returning to working class society like where they were likely raised.

Aside from psycho priests and protesters, didn't mind having my political and religious views challenged on campus.

KantoSooner
9/21/2011, 04:27 PM
You need not become a relativist. But if you don't ever face countervaling opinions, your own beliefs become brittle and you forget what is important about them.

This, in my opinion, is what has happened to the Republican party. The gaggle of people who call themselves 'conservative' these days wouldn't know what the word meant if called upon to discuss it with, say, Barry Goldwater. (I'm not letting the Democrats off here, I just pay less attention to their beliefs as I regard them as being prima facie absurd and indefensible).

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2011, 05:14 PM
This is for the Rookie who started the thread on the main board inferring if you were a Republican you were on the side of UT.

That is Bravo Sierra as Travis County, home to Austin, and UT is the most liberal county in Texas and belong in SF not in TX.

I know parents who will not allow their kids to go to UT because it is so liberal -- some have come to OU and others have gone to Baylor -- good friend of my son whose grandparents refused to spend a dime on his education if he went to UT.

We lived there for almost 8 years in the most Republican County in TX -- Dems had to get Republicans to sign off on their petitions to run for office to lose. It is also the only county with a town that was part of the north in the War of Northern Aggression. and they have a yankee soldier statue in the middle of their town square. It is also the county that the Sheriff and his sons stood guard over the ballot boxes as LBJ thugs were rounding up boxes around the state when he ran for Senate. It made the TX history books. The man was still the Sheriff when we moved there and proud of the fact that our county had never voted for LBJ.

When Clinton was running in 1996, he only got 2500 people out to a rally in San Antonio on a Saturday and Hillary stopped her trip through the TX Hill Country after two stops when her people discovered it was extremely Republican and didn't like the Clintons. When Bill Clinton arrived at Kelly AFB, he was met by a Lt Colonel -- the two Generals and all the Colonels had plans elsewhere and couldn't be there on a Saturday.

That's my two cents about the liberal bastion of Austin!
fify

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2011, 05:42 PM
I was pretty heavily involved in Texas and collegiate politics for 10 years. I know better than most how liberal the University of Texas is. There's a reason we used to call it "Berkeley-East."

There are a lot of examples that I could give, but I think one very telling example is just after 9/11...THE 9/11 not an anniversary. We organized a "Support America" rally on the steps of the Capitol building. We had a couple of country singers come and play, some speakers, some military guys, etc. Keep in mind, this was no more than a week after the attacks...this was before the Afghan war had even started. Halfway through this thing a large group of UT protesters from some far-left student group (probably Amnesty) shows up to protest. I **** you not. About 150 students protested a rally no more than a week after the attack. They show up and they cover themselves in blood and lay down on the concrete holding up signs that say, "I represent 1000 innocent victims of war." That kind of ****...The state police show up in large numbers and stand between us and them. There were a lot of people on our side who honestly wanted to beat the **** out of the hippies.

Years later we had a "Texas Independence Day" event on campus and had this giant cake made in the shape of Texas. We randomly handed out slices of cake to students to celebrate. This guy comes up and literally punches one of our guys. He was a Messican and "highly offended" by our celebration of Gringo imperialism.

There have been professors at UT who have outright called our organization and students Nazis. We've been called a lot of things by UT faculty and Nazis is actually one of the nicer ones.