PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Fighter 14

reflector
9/21/2011, 02:15 PM
The greatest reality show on television returns tonight for another season. This season is Bantamweights and Featherweights. I am glad that the UFC is doing a season of TUF with these weight classes. Since the WEC was folded into the UFC, I don’t feel these weight classes have received enough attention.

Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Michael Bisping are the two coaches this season. I think the dynamic between these two may make for some interesting television. It should be a good season no matter what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NSORsSfTs&feature=feedf

Boomer.....
9/21/2011, 02:25 PM
Pumped! I've been wanting the lightweights since they came over from the WEC.

reflector
9/21/2011, 02:29 PM
Pumped! I've been wanting the lightweights since they came over from the WEC.

These are actually Bantamweights (135 pounds) and Featherweights (145 pounds). Lightweight is 155 pounds. Featherweights and Bantamweights are the two most recent weight classes added to the UFC.

Boomer.....
9/21/2011, 02:35 PM
Oh I know, that's what I meant. I was just calling the lighterweights because they are the lightest bunch now. Viewers need to get more accustomed to some of the lighter fighters and this will help a lot.

reflector
9/21/2011, 02:38 PM
Oh I know, that's what I meant. I was just calling the lighterweights because they are the lightest bunch now. Viewers need to get more accustomed to some of the lighter fighters and this will help a lot.

I agree.

ouleaf
9/21/2011, 03:20 PM
Anything has to be better than last season. They are bringing back the fights to get into the house this year right? Mayhem and Bisping should be interesting to watch. Pumped

reflector
9/21/2011, 04:28 PM
Anything has to be better than last season. They are bringing back the fights to get into the house this year right? Mayhem and Bisping should be interesting to watch. Pumped

Yes. They are supposedly bringing back fights to get into the house. Tonight's episode is 2 hours. We are supposed to get to see every fight to get into the house.

reflector
9/21/2011, 06:05 PM
I just saw this for the first time. It looks like it is going to be a wild season. The video is probably NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMm6GrvCJw

reflector
9/21/2011, 10:06 PM
I thought the first three fights were pretty vicious on the first episode. The last fight was pretty good as well.

ouleaf
9/22/2011, 08:26 AM
Great, great start to the new season...I don't know if that first fight was actually the first fight of the day or if they edited it around to make it seem like the first fight because of that explosive TKO in the first 15 seconds of the fight between Ferguson and Dyer. Has to suck to go out like that if your Dyer. Nice simple 3 jab and big right cross to the jaw and he was done. Impressive stuff.

Think my favorite fight had to be the 4t fight between Bermudez and Rivera. Sucks that one of those guys had to go home, because Rivera looks like a badass. I don't wish injury on anyone, but if it does happen, i hope he's the first guy they bring back.

Liked what I saw from Johnny Bedford in his win over Carson Beebe. Guy looks like he has lots of skills both in standup and on the ground.

Was upset that the Japanese guy didn't win. Definitely one of the more effective kick-boxing/muay thai guys I've ever seen on the show. Would have like see him get in the house and compete.

Could not believe the chin on the kid from Hawaii. You don't see too many guys that can take blows like that and still stand upright.

Think Mayhem and Bisping will make for good tv. Judging by the promos after it, it looks like they both enjoy pulling pranks.

Boomer.....
9/22/2011, 09:16 PM
Very exciting first episode. These kids are hungry. It's nice not seeing most of the fights go to decision like the last few seasons. There is so much talent at 135 and 145 that has yet to be discovered. The other weight classes seem to be picked through and you get raw duds on the show. Almost all of these kids seemed skilled and pretty well rounded.

achiro
9/23/2011, 02:09 PM
Awesome fights on that first episode. Looking forward to this season!

reflector
9/28/2011, 02:39 PM
I believe the teams will get picked on tonight's episode.

reflector
9/28/2011, 11:04 PM
I thought Caraway looked pretty good in the fight on tonight's episode. I think he will be one of the better fighters this season.

ouleaf
9/29/2011, 11:58 AM
Good fight.....Mayhem picked a smart matchup. Caraway controlled it from the start and would have won even if he didn't get the submission. Brimmage didn't really know what to do when the match was taken to the ground. Kudos to him for warding off the choke as long as he did, but it was really only a matter of time. If he works on his wrestling and jujitzu he might have something, b/c he definitely can put some power behind his punches.

Definitely loving Mayhem as a coach so far.

reflector
9/29/2011, 03:46 PM
I like reading these blogs.

David Bermudez Blog for Episodes 1 & 2

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25454/dennis-bermudez-blog-for-the-ultimate-fighter-14-epiodes-no-1-2.mma

reflector
9/29/2011, 07:59 PM
The most recent episode averaged 1.6 million viewers. This is good ratings for the show.

Boomer.....
9/29/2011, 08:32 PM
I thought both of those fighters are too one dimentional go far. I thought there were much more impressive and well rounded fighters.

reflector
10/5/2011, 10:29 PM
I wonder how much further Johnny will be able to go with the hurt right hand.

ouleaf
10/7/2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah i was gonna be pissed if the Doc's DQ'd him from the fight due to the injury. Bedford looks like a bad *** and has a lot of fights under his belt. Could use some work on his standup, but in this weight class he's gonna have a height and reach advantage on most guys. Ferguson really can let those fists fly, but it doesn't matter if you can't reach the guy.

While Bedford didn't have an "wow" moments, he controlled both rounds pretty well an neutralized Ferguson's striking ability. Mayhem definitely made another smart matchup pick I thought.

reflector
10/12/2011, 10:34 PM
It was cool to see two fights on tonight's episode. Bermudez and Pague looked really good in their fights. I think Miller just may have the much better team.

ouleaf
10/13/2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah both of Bispings guys took pretty substantial beatings in both matches. Was really surprised Bermudez's fight wasn't called earlier than it was. Both Bermudez and Pague hardly even looked like they had been in the fight, with the exception of Pague who had Guadinot's blood all over him. Those knee strikes from clench were devastating.

I think a lot of credit has to go to Mayhem for the fights he's picked. They've been very smart, strategic picks so far. He also seems to be a good coach both before and during the fight. Bisping on the other hand doesn't seem like a partically good coach, especially during the fight. Also, I realize it was an accident, but you can't give your own fighter a black eye before a fight. That just gives the opponent a bigger target.

reflector
10/13/2011, 01:38 PM
David Bermudez Blog for Episodes 3 & 4

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25663/dennis-bermudez-blog-for-the-ultimate-fighter-14-episodes-no-3-4.mma

reflector
10/19/2011, 10:58 PM
It really looked to me like Akira tapped in the first round on tonight's episode. He still somehow won the fight though. Keith Kizer was not very happy with Akira's antics after the fight.

ouleaf
10/20/2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I'm convinced Akira tapped too, but it's one of those things where if you blink you could miss it. Maybe that's what happened, but it's on the ref to spot it and like Dana said it's not a tap unless the ref calls it. Also took the low road with the celebration after the fight too. No class at all. Hope he gets knocked out in his next fight.

Credit to Akira though, he landed some solid punches in both rounds and eventually caught Neace on the button and dropped him. While I thought the first round could have been scored a draw (when you take out the tap), the second round went to Akira and that ultimately won him the fight.

Boomer.....
10/22/2011, 01:42 PM
It definitely looked like he tapped. I thought it should have went to a third also.

reflector
10/26/2011, 11:17 PM
Both Dodson and Diego seemed really quick in the fights on tonight's episode. The trash talk by Bisping is getting old in the season, for me.

reflector
11/2/2011, 11:00 PM
I think Dillashaw is going to be tough to beat. He looked really impressive on tonight's episode. I think the picks for the semifinals should be good fights.

145 Pounds

Akira Corassani vs. Dennis Bermudez

Diego Brandao vs. Bryan Caraway

135 Pounds

TJ Dillashaw vs. Dustin Pague

John Dodson vs. Johnny Bedford

ouleaf
11/4/2011, 09:07 AM
Finally caught up on episodes....yeah Dillashaw looked solid against Roland, but I just don't think Roland was all that good to begin with....plus he had that nasty foot that limited his ability to prepare.

Semifinal matches look to be stellar. Akira and Bermudez should be a great way to start things off. Diego Caraway should be great too. Can't wait for Dodson and Bedford.

Boomer.....
11/4/2011, 04:00 PM
Akira is a mean dude and should win his match, but I think Diego wins the 145.

I don't think I'm that impressed with TJ as some. Maybe it's because I sort of don't like his cockyness, but I think his opponent was just weak.

I hope Bedford rolls.

reflector
11/9/2011, 11:10 PM
I thought Akira would lose. He put up a good fight against Bermudez though. He hit Bermudez a lot more than I thought he would. Bermudez advances to the finale.

ouleaf
11/10/2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah, i was surprised Akira caught Bermudez on the chin as much as he did. Bermudez was kind of all over the place those first few minutes of the round, but he made a nice move turning that knockdown shot delivered by Akira into a takedown of his own and by then it was too late. Bermudez pins him to the cage and slips in the nice guillotine choke and it was just a matter of when he would tap at that point.

Bermudez is a good fighter and i think even if he doesn't win it, you'll see him fighting in the UFC for sure.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 02:54 PM
I thought Akira would lose. He put up a good fight against Bermudez though. He hit Bermudez a lot more than I thought he would. Bermudez advances to the finale.

I hate Akira, guy is a puke.

reflector
11/17/2011, 02:31 AM
I thought Dillashaw would beat Pague, but I still wanted Dustin to beat TJ. TJ was too good though.

ouleaf
11/18/2011, 09:29 AM
TJ showed pretty impressive ground and pound against Pague. TJ was in control from start to finish, and kept Pague on his back.

TJ's gonna be real tough for whoever has to face him.

Can't wait for next week's fights

reflector
11/30/2011, 11:07 PM
Now the final fights are set for Saturday. John Dodson vs. TJ Dillashaw and Diego Brandao vs. Dennis Bermudez. I think both should be really good fights. I am also excited to see Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Michael Bisping on Saturday also.

ouleaf
12/1/2011, 10:01 AM
You could tell Dana was really excited about how good of fighters all 4 of these guys are. I would not be surprised to see several guys from this season get UFC deals when it is all said and done.

Congrats to Dodson, who made Bedford's height and reach advantage no advantage whatsoever. Bedford was never able to establish control in the fight and most attempts at takedowns and clenches were easily escaped by Bedford who does have great quickness. I guess I thought Bedford would just give him a better fight, but Dodson showed he is pretty clearly a cut above. Will be a tough fight between him and Dillashaw I think.

Diego is a flatout badass. It's admirable that Caraway stayed in the fight as long as he did when it was obvious his bell was rung. Diego is just so relentless and a superior athlete as well. Really excited for the fight between him and Bermudez.

Excited to finally get to see the coaches square off for the first time in a long time. As much as I like and respect Mayhem's skills, I just don't know if he's going to be able to handle Bisping's size/strength advantage. I would like to see Mayhem win, but I just don't think it's very likely.

Boomer.....
12/2/2011, 03:07 PM
Diego should roll! That guy looks like a mean ******* but seems like a good guy when he talks. He is a great fighter for being so raw.

I am super pumped to see the coaches fight during a finale instead of a ppv. Great move by UFC. I hope Bisping gets his clock cleaned.