PDA

View Full Version : Know Their Quarterback: James Franklin

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2011, 01:40 PM
James Franklin
6'2 225 lb Sophmore

James Franklin is a different kind of quarterback. He isn't Blaine Gabbert for sure, who left for some top 10 money in the NFL. I had said Gabbert graduated high school with more NFL ability than Chase Daniel and would go very high before he started his first game..But he's gone now.

Enter Franklin. Not exactly Brad Smith, Not exactly Chase Daniel, but maybe a little of both. Franklin's ability to run with the ball is a little different in that most of the time, he isn't looking to shake a defender, he wants to run over them. I'm sure Pinkel is doing what he can to get him to use the sidelines more, but it's hard to fight against the natural style of running. He is a good enough athlete that OU recruited him as an athlete and not quarterback. He will be a handful as Mizzou has added some quarterback power run plays and it was really evident in the ASU game..27 carries in that game alone.

Franklin's arm strength is average at best. Once again, not Gabbert league, but probably close to Daniel league. He has improved his delivery a lot since last year and played pretty well against Arizona State with the ball in the air.

The problem for Franklin is that he doesn't appear to be able to make the Mizzou offense throws. The in-the-middle-of-the-field throws that usually drop down behing the linebackers and in front of the safeties. Those throws require more accuracy and arm strength than what he has right now. Watching the ASU game, I noticed he did make some nice throws, but a better defensive backfield would have ate up some of the soft balls he threw. He hasn't turned the ball over much yet, but I think he will struggle much Saturday against a faster, more aggressive group of DBs.

I think a good comparison for Franklin in a quarterback this team has seen in EJ Manuel from FSU..Very similar in every way except running style...About the same accuracy issues, with Manuel possessing the stronger arm.

So, what's going to happen? whoever is going to be in the middle of the field will have certain pick off opportunity. Wort or Lewis should pick off 1 as well as Harris. The LB's will have to be solid in the gaps and getting off of blocks to tackle him. I think good DT play is more important this game than the FSU one. The Tigers are also excellent at the TE position and the LBs/DBs will definitely have to protect the middle againt Egnew.

This game could be tight at the end of 1-1/2 quarters as the D gets acquainted with Franklin. The mizzou DB's are awful, so there should be no problem scoring for OU..

Any way you slice it, it should be another 17+point win for the good guys.

SunnySooner
9/21/2011, 02:03 PM
Hey Step, kinda off topic, but what do you think about Gabbert here in Jax? Now that they've kicked Garrard to the curb, is he good enough to build a team around? It'd be nice to be more than mediocre at some point.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2011, 02:16 PM
I will say I was high on Gabbert way back..He has a rocket arm and really improved his accuracy over his time at MU...That being said, he isn't the smartest as far quarterbacking decisions..He really isn't the student of the game some others have been.

Here is the problem you have in Jacksonville. A head coach knows he has no job if he doesn't make the playoffs. If they knew Garrard wasn't going to be their guy, they should have went out and landed at least a reasonable fill in until Gabbert was ready.

But honestly, I could have told you before last week's game that McCown would throw a handful of picks..He has a jelly arm with absolutely no zip behind it.

Anyway to your question, I think Gabbert is good enough as long as he has some consistency from the Jaguars. For him to have to change coach and OC along with qb coach next year would really set him back. If he can get another season and get some some type of good WR play, he could be very successful..He could also be Jason Campbell, who played for 7 OC's in a span of 8 years and still looks young. Consistency is the key to being a success in the NFL.

SunnySooner
9/21/2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Step, I know he's gotten up the hopes of a lot of peeps here in Jax, we know McCown's just a placeholder, and the Jags sure didn't do themselves any favors by firing Garrard just days before the season (rumor is he threw 3 picks in practice the day before, and it was just the last straw--crappy way to do it, Garrard seems like a VERY nice man, but wildly inconsistent as a QB), not to mention the lockout, but you can't coach 6'5", right? Meaning, he has the physical makeup, and, hopefully, CAN be coached up to being at least a better QB than we've had. I wish he had Sam's fire, competitiveness, work ethic, brains, etc., but maybe some of that will come with maturity.

Time will tell, I think it's a step in the right direction, Garrard was never going to take us beyond round one of the Playoffs in his BEST year, maybe Gabbert can come in late this year or next year, stir a little excitement, get something going. Maybe mgt. will make some better draft choices as well, some of 'em have been real head-scratchers. Oh well, at least they haven't tried to buy out Tebow!!!! Lord save me from that, lol!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2011, 08:12 AM
I think the next step for them is getting a big time WR...If they could score Alshon Jeffrey, that would be a major boost and a big help to Gabbert

cleller
9/23/2011, 08:19 AM
James Franklin is about the most boring QB name since Kliff Kingsberry.

REDREX
9/23/2011, 08:31 AM
His Dad played at OU----Willie Franklin

sooneredaco
9/23/2011, 08:43 AM
STEP... I always enjoy your analysis. Thanks a lot. Keep it up!!

SunnySooner
9/23/2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, Step, we definitely need someone to catch the dang thing. BTW, funny we were talking about this, Blaine was named the starter on Wednesday, it's his team now, his players seem to like him, they're saying good things about his leadership, so we'll see how it goes. I'm happy for now, Garrard was a nice guy, but had maxed his potential.

stoopified
9/23/2011, 02:52 PM
His Dad played at OU----Willie FranklinI was wondering If I was the only one who knew that.

Okie35
9/23/2011, 02:58 PM
Which league is better Booger or Gabbert? I honestly think Daniel was the better college player.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2011, 03:42 PM
I can agree with that..But I think Daniel had better skill players around him

MiccoMacey
9/23/2011, 09:52 PM
I thought James Franklin was going to be a better QB than he's showed so far. AAnd maybe last week's 69-0 onslaught was his coming out party.

But he throws a lob ball like Denard Robinson from Michigan...it'll get there, but a really good secondary should get some picks.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 08:25 PM
Well, it went about like I expected, especially with the game playing out like it did early. Franklin's arm strength was never exposed because he didn't have to fit the ball into any kind of window..Just throw the ball up and let a WR run under it..The LB/DBs took turns not playing assignments early, played solid for a while, and then went back to not knowing what to do..DT's didn't do a lot and it showed. Franklin was money gaining 4-5 yards on their power run plays, finishing over 100 yards on 25 carries.

hawaii 5-0
9/25/2011, 09:38 PM
RGIII won't have as many incompletions as Franklin.

5-0