PDA

View Full Version : OU threw all of the Big XII's stuff out on the front lawn...

n8v_ndn
9/21/2011, 11:57 AM
...and is now having makeup sex:

"NewsOK OU Alert: Oklahoma says it's committed to the Big 12"

TheBobbyTrain
9/21/2011, 12:14 PM
or OU realized that it would lose a ton of money (already in use by the university) by switching to the Pac 12's TV deal and that it is smarter to ride out the Big 12 for when the BCS is up for renewal/disbanding/whatever it does and TV contracts are rewritten in 5 years. Right now it's best to stay as non-committal as possible so that when new deals are struck in 5 years - OU can get the best deal that it can rather than be tied up in a new long term contract now.

okie52
9/21/2011, 12:17 PM
OU hasn't done anything smart on this latest realignment. Total fiasco.

Boren should be accountable.

TheBobbyTrain
9/21/2011, 12:25 PM
So coming out several million dollars short for a switch that might not have been the best long term deal is smart...

And signing a long term contract with a new conference right now when the short term future of the BCS isn't completely certain is smart...

wow.

cccasooner2
9/21/2011, 12:40 PM
OU hasn't done anything smart on this latest realignment. Total fiasco.

Boren should be accountable.

I thought you guys said he was the smart one.

FtwTxSooner
9/21/2011, 12:41 PM
If you think staying in the Big 12 will net more revenue than moving to the PAC then I have some oceanfront property on the Arizona State campus I want to tell you...

Soonermagik
9/21/2011, 12:42 PM
It will still be a watered down conference, which they said they didn't want. I haven't seen where Texas has agreed to be equal partners. I just don't think anything is a done deal yet.

I thought Boren was going to do a solid job on this, but I think he's kind of screwed this up now. Also, if they do stay who is going to take A&M's place or possibly Mizzou's if they go to the SEC? Problems are still plentiful and we are no closer to a resolution.... what a joke.

FtwTxSooner
9/21/2011, 12:45 PM
Making demands on texas, saying if they are not met, we are off to the PAC, and later that same day, having the PAC say they aren't interested in expansion is a huge screwup IMHO.

Boren may have been given bad info that our acceptance to the PAC was guaranteed even without texas (or possibly subtituting 2 ex-Big 8 schools). Though, that blew up in his face.

cccasooner2
9/21/2011, 12:49 PM
It will still be a watered down conference, which they said they didn't want. I haven't seen where Texas has agreed to be equal partners. I just don't think anything is a done deal yet.
s
I thought Boren was going to do a solid job on this, but I think he's kind of screwed this up now. Also, if they do stay who is going to take A&M's place or possibly Mizzou's if they go to the SEC? Problems are still plentiful and we are no closer to a resolution.... what a joke.

Screw ups and no resolution, I think Boren is qualified to run for the senate again.

En_Fuego
9/21/2011, 12:50 PM
967bzREE3q0

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 12:54 PM
You guys are all assuming that Boren wanted us to leave in the first place. On the contrary, I think he has done a fantastic job of keeping the Big12 together. There is the potential that the NCAA is putting the clamps on realignment for now, and the SEC may rescind its offer to A&M.

FtwTxSooner
9/21/2011, 12:59 PM
The Big 12 was kept together last year after nearly imploding. That solved absolutely nothing and just kicked the can down the road.

cccasooner2
9/21/2011, 01:02 PM
The Big 12 was kept together last year after nearly imploding. That solved absolutely nothing and just kicked the can down the road.

Please move this to ObamaFest2012.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 01:06 PM
To OU, the Big 12 is still lucrative, gives us the opportunity to start out own network a la the LHN, and keeps traditional rivalries intact.

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2011, 01:07 PM
You guys are all assuming that Boren wanted us to leave in the first place. On the contrary, I think he has done a fantastic job of keeping the Big12 together. There is the potential that the NCAA is putting the clamps on realignment for now, and the SEC may rescind its offer to A&M.

You're a great guy NP, but you can't possibly be that delusional. That's drifting into Aggyesque levels of delusion.

okie52
9/21/2011, 01:09 PM

How is the kool aid? Boren's got so much **** on his face that he is going to need a few rolls of toilet paper to see again.

He should have kept his mouth shut until after the deal was done....see the ACC.

Not the first time Boren has shot off his mouth when he could have kept is shut.

sperry
9/21/2011, 01:13 PM

Boren made public a list of demands yesterday that if they were not met, OU would bolt. Turns out OU has nowhere to go, and will have to come back with its tail between its legs to the Big XII, and Texas will not accede to any of the demands. In fact, Texas can now do whatever they damn well please, because none of the member schools have anywhere they can go to, while Texas could go wherever they want. This a complete and total fiasco.

OULenexaman
9/21/2011, 01:14 PM
I thought you guys said he was the smart one. That's what badger was claiming.....he was the almighty greatest pol and OU president ever.....I'm holding Badger accountable!!:chargrined:

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2011, 01:17 PM
my gut reaction...like most of my non-OU friends in KC..is wow..OU looks like an idiot...after the jesting and then nothing to back it up...I still think there are things out there that we don't see..but who knows..def LOOKS bad right now.

saucysoonergal
9/21/2011, 01:20 PM
OU has no hand. Sad really. I am flushing my cheer.

Dan Thompson
9/21/2011, 01:20 PM
IMO. USC's lawyers killed the deal. They did not want any teams as powerful as OU.

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2011, 01:21 PM
funny...DT...I have a good friend here in KC named Dan Thompson and an OU fan...just sayin..

OULenexaman
9/21/2011, 01:23 PM
OU has no hand. Sad really. I am flushing my cheer. like clapping with broken fingers...

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 01:24 PM
You're a great guy NP, but you can't possibly be that delusional. That's drifting into Aggyesque levels of delusion.

All I can say is that every move Boren made looked stupid until more news came out. Then he looked like a genius that was two steps ahead of everyone else. I still believe he has something hidden away, or something happened that threw a wrench into his plans. baj mentioned that the NCAA might be meddling now, which is something that I don't think anyone anticipated. That could easily account for a great plan going sour at the last minute.

Still, I don't think this is done. Did anyone hear anything about the ACC getting the 'Cuse and Pitt before it happened? I think the real news isn't being reported because only a few people know.

OULenexaman
9/21/2011, 01:29 PM
good theory...very possible.

GreenSooner
9/21/2011, 01:47 PM
I would love it if OU and OSU left for the B1G....but I don't honestly see that happening.

picasso
9/21/2011, 01:59 PM
Guys, have we not learned to let the dust settle on all of this stuff?

landrun
9/21/2011, 03:45 PM
How long is OU contractually bound to the Big XII??

SoonerPride
9/21/2011, 03:49 PM
How long is OU contractually bound to the Big XII??

until texas says we can go.

we obviously have no viable options anywhere else.

we've tied ourselves to osu which precludes going to the SEC (which Boren didn't want anyway) or Big10.

the PAC 12 was the only out and they said "no thanks" so we are stuck. for now.

maybe it changes next year or 5 years from now.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 04:06 PM

Ed Zachary.

n8v_ndn
9/21/2011, 04:24 PM
The HORN (104.9 in Austin) is having an absolute field day over this. The self-satisfaction and 'look how powerful we are' commentary is causing me to shake my head and stomp my fist in anger right now.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 04:24 PM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about our position in this.

soonerbub
9/21/2011, 04:48 PM
"PAC will NOT expand so we look like idiots congrats Pres Boren"

That was the text I sent to friends & fam right after I saw the announcement on the news last night. I stand by it today.

For those saying "yay the big x-ii is saved" it blew up LAST YEAR when NU & CU left. Bringing in new teams is a stopgap desperate measure. As others have said :texan: has NO incentive to negotiate unless we threaten to go indy.

I don't give a **** anymore where we play or who--let's just beat the **** outta whoever lines up against us & take home #8.

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2011, 04:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

Bourbon St Sooner
9/21/2011, 04:57 PM

Bingo! A lot of people think they know what's going on because dooshbags with twitter accounts thought they knew what was going on and none of them did. Now, a lot of you that were calling Boren a genius a week ago are calling him a moron now, because you bought twitter doush's bs.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:00 PM
"PAC will NOT expand so we look like idiots congrats Pres Boren"

That was the text I sent to friends & fam right after I saw the announcement on the news last night. I stand by it today.

For those saying "yay the big x-ii is saved" it blew up LAST YEAR when NU & CU left. Bringing in new teams is a stopgap desperate measure. As others have said :texan: has NO incentive to negotiate unless we threaten to go indy.

I don't give a **** anymore where we play or who--let's just beat the **** outta whoever lines up against us & take home #8.

Just saying, what's the rush? Cash the checks. Win the league. Plan your move. Texas is toxic, not us. Texas is a supermodel, with a raging case of herpes. When the time is right, Oklahoma will be fine.

Hopefully, we don't join the hackie sack conference.

Sooner1972
9/21/2011, 05:12 PM
This was supposed to be a proud week. Instead, we have to be the most bummed out #1 team in the history of football. How long are we going to be bound to this hellhole of a conference for now?

soonerbub
9/21/2011, 05:13 PM
I know we'll be fine & I know this is not over. We should have just stayed quiet as we did last year tho. Instead we stuck OUr neck out & got whacked in the PR fiasco.

Yes texass is the supermodel w herp but knowing that we took her home for the night anyway.

Like Bart Scott I CAN'T WAIT for October 8 & I might be more dooshy than usual (depending on the # of fair burrs I consume)

Oh & Sic Em--you guys are and always have been the Reginald Denny of this league. Love it. Embrace it. (tho I sincerely hope da bears go 12-1 this year)

SoonerOX
9/21/2011, 05:30 PM
The Pac-12 shut the door on a move to their conference with their statement saying they were not going to accept any new members at this time. How did Boren screw up a move that wasn't going to happen anyway? The PAC did not want to expand; Boren's hand was forced.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:32 PM
I know we'll be fine & I know this is not over. We should have just stayed quiet as we did last year tho. Instead we stuck OUr neck out & got whacked in the PR fiasco.

Yes texass is the supermodel w herp but knowing that we took her home for the night anyway.

Like Bart Scott I CAN'T WAIT for October 8 & I might be more dooshy than usual (depending on the # of fair burrs I consume)

Oh & Sic Em--you guys are and always have been the Reginald Denny of this league. Love it. Embrace it. (tho I sincerely hope da bears go 12-1 this year)
Lol. We didn't take Texas home. She's been crashing on our couch for a decade. She is an irritating bitch, but she keeps the fridge stocked. It's not like she had the herp when we let her in.

Anyway, we'll bounce her when we're damn good and ready. When we do we have to change neighborhoods. We couldn't afford this place without the bitch. We better be sure we pick the right roomates.

sperry
9/21/2011, 05:32 PM
The Pac-12 shut the door on a move to their conference with their statement saying they were not going to accept any new members at this time. How did Boren screw up a move that wasn't going to happen anyway? The PAC did not want to expand; Boren's hand was forced.

Going public with strong statements forced the issue of the Pac 12 publically rejecting OU, which took away the leverage OU had with regards to bolting.

S008NER
9/21/2011, 05:33 PM
while Texas could go wherever they want.

Not with what they are asking for.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:34 PM
Nothing is finished. All we know is Texas is generally loathed by all.

SoonerOX
9/21/2011, 05:35 PM
Any ideas as to what blew this thing up? The LHN? The PAC not only rejected us, they rejected everyone who thought they were going to the PAC

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:38 PM
Any ideas as to what blew this thing up? The LHN? The PAC not only rejected us, they rejected everyone who thought they were going to the PAC

Texas wanted special treatment. Also, we may have just been playing high stakes poker.

SoonerOX
9/21/2011, 05:40 PM
I fcuking hate being tied to Tejas at the waist. I get that it's all about $$$...just hate it.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:43 PM
I fcuking hate being tied to Tejas at the waist. I get that it's all about $$$...just hate it.

Don't let media perception get you down. We make a killing in this conference, and we own it on the field.

SoonerOX
9/21/2011, 05:47 PM
Don't let media perception get you down. We make a killing in this conference, and we own it on the field.

I know that we kill this conference. Hell, I'm happy in the Big 12. I just loath the perception that we can't do what we want because Texas has to tag along or we're not worth it. At least that's what it seems like.

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:50 PM
I know that we kill this conference. Hell, I'm happy in the Big 12. I just loath the perception that we can't do what we want because Texas has to tag along or we're not worth it. At least that's what it seems like.

Don't believe for a minute that the PAC is done expanding. The SEC would take us anytime if Boren would get over himself. If these conferences are at sixteen and we need a home, they will expand further to have us. Trust me.

SoonerOX
9/21/2011, 05:53 PM
Don't believe for a minute that the PAC is done expanding. The SEC would take us anytime if Boren would get over himself. If these conferences are at sixteen and we need a home, they will expand further to have us. Trust me.

Sounds good to me. I enjoy the RRS, but if it's in our best interest, it would be comforting to know for sure that we are a "stand-alone" program. I guess it's just the talking heads and print media pimping the horns..

delhalew
9/21/2011, 05:58 PM
Sounds good to me. I enjoy the RRS, but if it's in our best interest, it would be comforting to know for sure that we are a "stand-alone" program. I guess it's just the talking heads and print media pimping the horns..

We will be stand-alone when we need to be.