PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keeping an eye on Corey Nelson?

cleller
9/21/2011, 08:29 AM
With all the attention on Travis and Wort, has anyone really noticed how Corey Nelson is playing? Stoops had called him the best player on the team in the spring, but I haven't heard much about him in the last two games.

Hard for me to keep up with the linebacker play. If they're sacking someone in the backfield, or whiffing a tackle, sure, I notice that. Grinding it out in the trenches, its easier to overlook them.

Boomer.....
9/21/2011, 08:47 AM
1 solo and 2 assisted tackles against Tulsa and 1 solo and 2 assisted tackles (sack) against FSU. Give him time.

LVSOONER15
9/21/2011, 09:29 AM
Saw him on the field alot vs fsu. He must be doing good to on the field that much.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 09:30 AM
I think its his coverage skills that are his biggest selling point. Have you noticed that we're not getting abused in the middle on passing plays like we used to?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2011, 09:35 AM
The only thing FSU took take advantage of was Lewis in the middle of the field at times due to a lack of lateral movement right now..Nelson has jumped the wrong gaps a few times and some other mistakes, but I think he has improved a lot of gm 1 to gm 2.

East Coast Bias
9/21/2011, 09:42 AM
We have definitely shut down passes over the middle the past 2 games and that is a great development for our defense. That will continue to force turnovers and make the opposition throw deep on us. FSU did a good job of taking away the middle on us and when Landry stood in there and threw downfield it turned the game.Controlling the middle of the field and limiting the QB's time to throw deep with pressure is a winning combination.....

jk the sooner fan
9/21/2011, 09:44 AM
i am watching him like a HAWK

if he goes anywhere he isnt s'posed too - ya'll will be the first to know

okiegirl
9/21/2011, 09:46 AM

/like

soonerboy_odanorth
9/21/2011, 10:12 AM
I think he has work to do, certainly, no question... he's still young. Looked to me like he was out of position a couple plays on Saturday v. FSU, and was receiving the requisite talk from other defenders (T.Jefferson in particular) and/or Venables on the sideline. But I'd say otherwise its' coming together. Next two games ought to give him the chance to clean some things up and then he'll have the big exam against Texas.

zeke
9/21/2011, 10:44 AM
I noticed that at times he seemed to be confused. Looking to the sideline while the ball was being snapped. But he was around the ball alot too. I think he is going to be pretty darn good.

hawaii 5-0
9/21/2011, 10:46 AM
I think its his coverage skills that are his biggest selling point. Have you noticed that we're not getting abused in the middle on passing plays like we used to?

Excellent observation.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 11:07 AM

I'm glad you're on it. Now who's the slacker that was supposed to watch Trey Franks?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2011, 11:15 AM
my bad.

Keller Sooner
9/21/2011, 11:18 AM
Corey is doing okay. He will get better and better the more he is on the field. He has all the tools you need to be an outstanding linebacker. Fsu was holding him on a lot of plays because their lineman couldn't keep him in front of them. Also, as has been pointed out his coverage skills are very good. He reminds me so much of Wort last year, once he is more comfortable with the mental part of our defense he will be a great one. jmo.

cvsooner
9/21/2011, 11:36 AM
Excellent observation.

5-0 Say what? I think the middle of the field area has improved a little, but still looks mighty vulnerable. Tulsa and FSU both took advantage of it. It's not the obvious weakness that it was, but it's still mighty soft. I'm beginning to think it's an inherent weakness of Venables' (and thus Stoops') defensive schemes. Combine that with poor tackling (and ours has been pretty good this year, mostly) and it's a death sentence.

landrun
9/21/2011, 11:48 AM
... I'm beginning to think it's an inherent weakness of Venables' (and thus Stoops') defensive schemes......

I've wondered the same thing myself. If you want to beat OU, throw on the linebackers over the middle of the field.
I might go back and watch the FSU game again to see who was playing when they were making plays over the middle. I've been looking for an excuse to watch it a third time anyway. :)

tanjou
9/21/2011, 12:24 PM
I think its his coverage skills that are his biggest selling point. Have you noticed that we're not getting abused in the middle on passing plays like we used to?truth

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 12:57 PM
Say what? I think the middle of the field area has improved a little, but still looks mighty vulnerable. Tulsa and FSU both took advantage of it. It's not the obvious weakness that it was, but it's still mighty soft. I'm beginning to think it's an inherent weakness of Venables' (and thus Stoops') defensive schemes. Combine that with poor tackling (and ours has been pretty good this year, mostly) and it's a death sentence.

To be fair, Tulsa "took advantage" of three major busts by a first time starter, and FSU didn't "take advantage" of jack crap.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/21/2011, 01:25 PM
I didn't see Tulsa take advantage of the middle of the field or being able to exploit anything when they were running wheel routes up to the point where Oklahoma just made it a 30-0 lead with Tulsa only having 34 passing yards and 32 rushing yards at that time that spanned across most of the 1st half.

Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due, Oklahoma, more specifically, Javon Harris, got a little lax once the game was clearly decided. Tulsa didn't exploit anything. I welcome the opposition to try though as Harris will gladly welcome more interceptions en route to an all-conference performing year. :fat:

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 01:38 PM
The good thing about Harris's gaffs are they are mistakes from aggression. He bit on the wheel routes to break up the short stuff and took the wrong angle against Tulsa. Against FSU he was going for a pick on an apparent over-throw. He's not letting the errors cause him to played scared as evidenced by the tackles and intercepts, and more experience should reduce the errors. (oops, sorry about the tread jack).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/21/2011, 03:15 PM
Say what? I think the middle of the field area has improved a little, but still looks mighty vulnerable. Tulsa and FSU both took advantage of it. It's not the obvious weakness that it was, but it's still mighty soft. I'm beginning to think it's an inherent weakness of Venables' (and thus Stoops') defensive schemes. Combine that with poor tackling (and ours has been pretty good this year, mostly) and it's a death sentence.

How many INTs have we had from passes over the middle?

cvsooner
9/21/2011, 03:24 PM
Well, I really really hope we've fixed the middle for those short slants and crosses but at the moment I'm just a little skeptical. Yes, the big plays against Tulsa and FSU came on busts on the edges, but there were a number of first downs that were exactly what I'm talking about. I think for Venables' defense to work well it requires exceptional personnel at LB, both physically and mentally. Nothing against anybody but those people are very rare. Guess we'll see.

I don't see the upcoming Mizzou QB as being able to exploit it all that well, though he does have a great tight end and the running back they've discovered is very good. I hope this game isn't close but I suspect we're in for a tussle.

cleller
9/21/2011, 03:27 PM
It does seems that the Stoops/Venables defense leaves the middle open some, and concentrates on covering the edges, and deep. Trying not to allow the big play, on the odds that we can catch up to the middle, then close that gap in the red zone.

Still, it does seem to be less vulnerable than in the past.

JLEW1818
9/21/2011, 03:37 PM

right on