PDA

View Full Version : SOONERS TO STAY IN B12 WITH DEMANDS

SoonerinSouthlake
9/20/2011, 03:50 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3605958

Source: Removal of Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe among OU's demands
A high-ranking source told The Oklahoman on Tuesday that OU wants hard and fast rules for Texas and the removal of Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe in order for the Sooners to stay in the conference

BY BERRY TRAMEL, Staff Writer, [email protected] 16
Published: September 20, 2011
The University of Oklahoma is considering remaining in the Big 12, but only in a “reformed” version of the conference that includes hard and fast rules for Texas' Longhorn Network and removal of Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, a high-ranking Big 12 source told The Oklahoman on Tuesday.
MULTIMEDIA
PHOTOview all photos

Source: Removal of Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe among OU's demands
NEWSOK RELATED ARTICLES
Boone Pickens: Big 12 isn't dead; Texas A&M...
09/20/2011 CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT – Oklahoma State benefactor Boone Pickens calls on Texas governor and presidential candidate Rick Perry to step in to save the Big...
OU president David Boren said Monday the Sooners would decide soon between applying for Pac-12 membership or staying in the Big 12, and the source outlined the parameters for remaining in the Big 12.
“It's going to take major, major reforms” for OU, and thus Oklahoma State, to consider remaining in the Big 12, the source said. “We'd have to have an interim commissioner.”
The source said the league presidents do not believe Beebe responded with adequate leadership to Nebraska's and Texas A&M's frustration. The Big 12 has lost three members in the last 15 months, and “the relationships were so bad (with) the commissioner,” the source said.
The other reform the Sooners demand is Texas and ESPN retreating on some its plans for the Longhorn Network. The UT/ESPN partnership angered Big 12 members on two counts: 1) the network reached an agreement with Fox Sports to move a conference game to the Longhorn Network; and 2) The Longhorn Network announced it would show high school highlights even after the conference voted to keep televised high school games off school-branded networks.
The source said it is not inevitable that OU and OSU will go to the Pac-12, even though the OU regents support the move.
Both Boren and athletic director Joe Castiglione have stated their desire to make the Big 12 work, as have OSU president Burns Hargis and athletic director Mike Holder.
“No one wants to give up on it,” an OSU source said of the Big 12. The problems have “nothing to do with finances. It has nothing to do with success. For the league to be falling apart, it's crazy.”
But the source said OU is willing to consider only a reformed Big 12.
The source said conference expansion is not a major issue, that while the Big 12 likely needs to return to 10 or 12 schools, the reforms are a much higher priority for stabilizing the conference.
Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference has been held up by Baylor's threat of litigation. But the reforms OU seeks would not entice the Aggies to remain in the Big 12.
“We are gone,” said an A&M official.
Earlier Tuesday, OSU booster Boone Pickens, who tried to use his influence in the state of Texas to get A&M to make the same demands of UT that OU now is making, said he detected a thaw in the Aggies' stance.
Pickens even contacted Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who is running for the Republican presidential nomination.
Pickens said he told Perry to show America that “you fix problems, don't contribute to ‘em.”
Perry is a former Texas A&M yell leader. “After the Aggies leave school, they're still looking for a yell leader,” Pickens said. He said he told Perry to be that leader.
But A&M vice president for communications Jason Cook, responding to Pickens, said, “Texas A&M has made our intentions perfectly clear. We do not intend to be a member of the Big 12 past this season.”
Another Big 12 source said OU's demands could prompt Texas to compromise. If the Sooners and Cowboys leave the Big 12, Texas is not likely to stay and almost surely would have to acquiesce on its network anyway, in some other league. Why not give in and keep the Big 12 together?
“You've got to have some of these items of trust,” the first source said. “Some clear understanding of what individual networks can do.”
The source said OU's goal is not to run the Big 12. He said OU's goal is to not have any school run the conference.
And the impression has been that Texas, via Beebe, has run roughshod over the Big 12.
“The perception is, he answers only to one school,” the source said. “That does not work.”
The source said Beebe made the decision that appeasing Texas was the Big 12's best hope for stability. “He made the wrong decision,” the source said. Instead, that led to instability, with the departure of Nebraska and now A&M.
The source said Big 12 presidents view Beebe as a commissioner serving only one school, Texas. They lay Nebraska's departure in June 2010 at the feet of Beebe.
“When a commissioner has a tin ear to what's happening in Nebraska and doesn't get himself up there…” the source said.
Ironically, the source said, Texas supported another candidate for commissioner four years ago, when Beebe was hired, while OU supported Beebe.
The source also said Beebe left items off the conference agenda that could have helped corral The Longhorn Network, such as a conference game being televised.
“The best commissioner's a consensus builder,” the source said. “We need a consensus-builder commissioner.
“You take the Big Ten, SEC, the Pac-12, their conference office runs circles around our conference in capability, not to mention bias. This commissioner totally cost us Texas A&M.”
The source said that OU could even push for revenue-sharing of individual networks. Texas is reaping more than $12 million a year from its ESPN contract with the Longhorn Network.
“What if we share a small percentage?” the source asked. “That's a real strong show of support. Where's anybody going to go in any other conference that doesn't want all your network? Wouldn't it be a nice show of good faith?
“It would be making sure the conference was even-handed and stable.
“It's true there's some things in favor of the Pac-12. Plain stability. We don't want to have to do this every year. I don't want our successors having to deal with the drama. What do we do? What do we do?
“Don't proclaim the end of the Big 12 too quickly. It's not off the table. We've got to get some reforms to make it stable. It's not working as it is.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/source-removal-of-big-12-commissioner-dan-beebe-among-ous-demands/article/3605958#ixzz1YWncvKSU

saucysoonergal
9/20/2011, 03:57 PM
This sounds familar. Oh, yeah, I read it in the realignment thread! ;)

thecynic
9/20/2011, 03:59 PM
doubt it happens

sooneredaco
9/20/2011, 04:00 PM
It's great to this in writing. Bebee is an idiot

sooneredaco
9/20/2011, 04:01 PM
This sounds familar. Oh, yeah, I read it in the realignment thread! ;)

The realignment thread is 9 gazzilion pages long

OUHOMER
9/20/2011, 04:02 PM
They may get rid of Bebee, but i dont see texas giving up anything.

saucysoonergal
9/20/2011, 04:03 PM
The realignment thread is 9 gazzilion pages long

You just click on the last page. You don't have to read it start to finish. Geez

Blue
9/20/2011, 04:04 PM
I like this. Add TCU and be done with it.

soonerboomer93
9/20/2011, 04:18 PM
No to TCU

they bring nothing to the table. I don't get why people find TCU acceptable. Why does there need to be another Texas school in the conference.

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 04:22 PM
Bet this is a CYA and was planned in the Executive Session as a way to leave and thumb your nose at the same time with no threats from anyone because we tried.

The legislators from TX who signed the letter that is on the Realignment thread want the SWC back.

Dan Thompson
9/20/2011, 04:29 PM
I guess most people don't stop to think that these schools are not private, but state owned/run/supported schools.

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 04:33 PM
OSU is Pickens run as we are seeing!

dennis580
9/20/2011, 04:38 PM
They may get rid of Bebee, but i dont see texas giving up anything.

Its not just Texas its also ESPN to. I don't see us being successful in getting both Texas, and ESPN to give into our demends so I see us applying for Pac 12 memembership by Monday at the lastest.

HuskerfaninOkieland
9/20/2011, 04:40 PM
Just one question....where the hell were all these demands 18 months ago?

prrriiide
9/20/2011, 04:41 PM
That "source" is either David Boren, someone who was in the room with Boren, or is someone paying rent inside his head. Those are the statements of a decision-maker.

The BIG XII is dead. texass arrogance will not allow them to accede to these demands. They will lose face (as they should) if they do. And texass doesn't take to losing face. They will not allow it to appear as if OU has pushed them around, even though in reality, we are only pushing back. But try telling that to the ref.

Neath a Western Sky
9/20/2011, 04:43 PM
Add BYU, TCU, and Boise and I'd be excited to stay in the Big 12, if we can lock in Mizzou and everyone else, and OU gets their 2 demands met. I like replacing A & M (not net-adding a Texas school) with TCU to help keep our profile as high as possible in Texas for recruiting purposes. Anyone who has lived down there for any period of time knows that if you are in a conference with multiple Texas schools, your media coverage escalates everywhere in the Lone Star State, which means the recruits grow more familiar with you.

Regarding the 3 schools I advocate above, as one of you said on one of these threads, TV sets tuned in for big games on the national stage is more important than TV sets residing in particular markets. BYU, TCU, and Boise have all played in big games of national interest and hopefully will again, especially as members of the Big 12.

delhalew
9/20/2011, 04:45 PM
Bad title. This is just another Ace in our hand.

Yes, I already read this in the appropriate thread.

Veritas
9/20/2011, 04:52 PM
So may I summarize this?

OU are willing to stay in the Big 12 if DeLoss Dodds and Mack Brown will each gargle Stoops' balls.

FtwTxSooner
9/20/2011, 04:55 PM
Frankly, I don't see those demands as that significant. Instead of "small percentage" of third tier revenues shared, it should be at least 50%. If that is all that has to be done to keep the big 12 together, might as well bend over for *.

Fraggle145
9/20/2011, 04:57 PM
Frankly, I don't see those demands as that significant. Instead of "small percentage" of third tier revenues shared, it should be at least 50%. If that is all that has to be done to keep the big 12 together, might as well bend over for *.

Me either. This is letting ut off too easy. **** them. Let's go to the PAC.

Soonermagik
9/20/2011, 04:58 PM
I don't see that happening. OU wants to fire Bebe for trying to go behind OU's back with that conference call. Plus, the guy let the whorns run this conference into the ground.

I think OU doesn't want to leave the regional area and they have owned the other Big 12 members on the field. I still think the PAC 12 is a done deal. I'm done speculating about this and I will wait and see what they really do.

sperry
9/20/2011, 04:59 PM
Please die Big XII. Why do we want to stay in a conerence full of second rate athletic programs? Why would Texas agree to any of this? They may as well say, let us do whatever we want or we'll leave the conference and kill it. It's time to head west.

btb916
9/20/2011, 05:00 PM
"What do we do? What do we do?" the source said.

GO TO THE PAC 12! Get out of this mess of a conference. I don't understand the hesitation at leaving.

FtwTxSooner
9/20/2011, 05:05 PM
* would agree to this if meeting these demands cost them less than having to move to another conference. In the PAC - whatever, there will be a different commish, so firing beebe is a push. The PAC requires third tier revenue sharing. If our demands on the LHN is less than what would happen on a move to the PAC, why wouldn't * agree? I really hope there is more to this. In fact, it should cost * more to stay in the Big XII than moving to the PAC for just the convience of staying put and making some legislatures happy.

soonerboomer93
9/20/2011, 05:06 PM
You just click on the last page. You don't have to read it start to finish. Geez

maybe they were too apathetic to click on it?

soonerboomer93
9/20/2011, 05:12 PM
Add BYU, TCU, and Boise and I'd be excited to stay in the Big 12, if we can lock in Mizzou and everyone else, and OU gets their 2 demands met. I like replacing A & M (not net-adding a Texas school) with TCU to help keep our profile as high as possible in Texas for recruiting purposes. Anyone who has lived down there for any period of time knows that if you are in a conference with multiple Texas schools, your media coverage escalates everywhere in the Lone Star State, which means the recruits grow more familiar with you.

Regarding the 3 schools I advocate above, as one of you said on one of these threads, TV sets tuned in for big games on the national stage is more important than TV sets residing in particular markets. BYU, TCU, and Boise have all played in big games of national interest and hopefully will again, especially as members of the Big 12.

Would those same tv sets tune in if they could no longer advertise those games as the little guy taking on the Big Bad BCS team. That's how they put these game, even when it's an 11 win Boise state against Georgia coming off a losing record.

BajaOklahoma
9/20/2011, 05:52 PM

FW businesses support TCU because they keep some jobs in FW. TCU is a very small school and has a small following. They are enlrging a stadium that they rarely fill. They will not in any way, shape or form make up for the loss of aTm in the TV market. Their once in a blue moon big game will draw in fans from the other schools, but still not enough to pay their way.

MountainOkie
9/20/2011, 06:06 PM
The snake is already loose in the Big 12 garden and once he's in there's no getting him back out.

These "demands" will and should fade away into an announcement that we are joining the Pac-12.

Sooner Cal
9/20/2011, 06:13 PM
Scott is 10 or 100 times the commissioner that Beebe is.
Beebe made several mistakes.
Referee bias in the league has gone on with his support.
The LHN moved forward with his support.
The phone call without reps from OU, OSU, A&M and Texas was a panic move.
Boren is more talented than Beebe and Dodds combined.
UT will have to join the PAC if OU, OSU and TT move.
Mizzou to the SEC or Big XII will seal the deal.
All the talk and speculation ignores the real facts. With OU, UT and USC, the PAC rivals the Big 10 and SEC in traditional powers. With ASU, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford, they rival the SEC in second tier teams and blow away the Big 10. With OSU, Washington and Utah, they top the SEC third tier schools. A PAC 16 would be the dominant conference with the best commissioner.

OU and UT will make one of the biggest strategic blunders in sports history if they pass on this. It would be like Boston trading the Babe or Portland picking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. Boren must be smart enough to see this.

Boone Pickens can't get the price of oil right, how is he going to know anything about A&M's motivation. Boone is soon to discover that he needs to be less visible. He's a booster, not a spokesman.

marfacowboy
9/20/2011, 06:17 PM
I think a lot of Texas people have no intent on sharing anything or giving an inch, especially their AD. They'd destroy the whole league just to protect their own interests. Their myopia is mind blowing.

LASooner
9/20/2011, 06:20 PM
KILL THE BIG 12!!

It's over. Be done with it.

wait... strike that... act like you'll stay... fire Beebe.... THEN apply to the PAC-12.

soonervegas
9/20/2011, 06:37 PM
What a joke.....didn't we play this game last year? We are backtracking plain and simple. I can't wait to hear how TCU more than makes up for the loss of NU, CU, and A&M.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/20/2011, 07:13 PM
"What do we do? What do we do?" the source said.

GO TO THE PAC 12! Get out of this mess of a conference. I don't understand the hesitation at leaving.

I think the hesitation is that everyone thinks that B12 is a great concept without Whorn holding all the cards.

Of course now that we have lost 3 schools, two of which I thought added a lot, IMO its too late.

Whatever happens I still want to be with a strong regional presence. I think it will suck if our only local rivals are the freakin OSU Cowboys

bigfatjerk
9/20/2011, 07:18 PM
The Big 12 is dead. OU's going to the PAC it's a done deal

LASooner
9/20/2011, 07:20 PM
If Missouri really has an offer from the SEC, they are gone.

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 07:26 PM
The Big 12 is dead. OU's going to the PAC it's a done deal

PAC is voting on realignment on Thursday and the west coast writers are all twittering including George Schroeder that OU/OSU will join the PAC 12 and TX right now is not going until it meets the PAC 12 requirements. UT has a shot period of time to get on board or lose the spot. PAC is not putting up with Longhorns wanting to run everything by all the accounts.

Fraggle145
9/20/2011, 07:29 PM
PAC 12 (14 err... 16)! *clap* *clap* *clap*

BASSooner
9/20/2011, 07:33 PM
PAC is voting on realignment on Thursday and the west coast writers are all twittering including George Schroeder that OU/OSU will join the PAC 12 and TX right now is not going until it meets the PAC 12 requirements. UT has a shot period of time to get on board or lose the spot. PAC is not putting up with Longhorns wanting to run everything by all the accounts.
any clue as to how long this time period could be?

bigfatjerk
9/20/2011, 07:34 PM
Missouri to the SEC on ESPN's bottom line.

R.I.P Big 12

SanJoaquinSooner
9/20/2011, 07:45 PM
Hey, those of you longing for a salvage of the Big 12...

Ferris has a message for you:

1-Sgvq98mjc

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 07:47 PM
@GeorgeSchroeder
George Schroeder
Interesting developments in Big 12 today. Reiterate: When comes time, Pac-12 will have votes to add Oklahoma/Ok St. LHN remains issue for UT

@BryanDFischer
Bryan Fischer
I'm with @GeorgeSchroeder, OU/OSU appear to have the votes, Scott is already working on the next step: Texas.

UT trying to blame ESPN: http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Blame-it-on-ESPN-40808

There is also a rumor flying now that ND and UT to the ACC again. Seems the ND AD and UT's AD have been working together - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/216199/20110919/acc-expansion-rutgers-uconn-conference-realignment-pittsburgh-syracuse-notre-dame.htm

The only thing consistent is that OU/OSU are going to the PAC and President Boren aired his grievances on the way out the door. Boone Pickens should learn to sit down and shut up because he makes like he is the spokesman for OSU which makes their President look even weaker. :)

SanJoaquinSooner
9/20/2011, 07:49 PM
Female art gallery patron = Big 12 reality

Woody Allen = Big 12 advocate

yL_8ouivm5s

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 07:50 PM
any clue as to how long this time period could be? All you see is it will be a short time -- either UT goes to PAC 12, ACC with ND, or they reconsistitute the old SWC which is what those legislators want them to do and keep the Longhorn Network in tact. I don't think there is a long time period with other conferences starting to snatch up schools.

LASooner
9/20/2011, 08:11 PM
I'm beginning to think Dan Beebe is an ESPN double agent who has been trying to kill the Big 12 all along, hoping it will create the 16 team super conferences and bringing about what ESPN has wanted all along, a playoff that they can show on their network that will get ratings that make the college basketball tournament look like a YMCA youth tournament shot on a betamax with a bad tape head.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/20/2011, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerMom2;3348428]All you see is it will be a short time -- , or they reconsistitute the old SWC which is what those legislators want them to do and keep the Longhorn Network in tact./QUOTE]

not agreeing or disagreeing with this....but Im wondering where people are getting this? What statements have been made by legislators, officials, or anyone who is connected with the State Government of Texas that would make people say this.

I will even accept rumors from someone who is married to the brother of a state official as verification that there is merit to this statement. I know there are human beings in Oklahoma and Texas Government who like us attended one of these schools, therefore are passionate like us about college football. But Im really not sure that they really have the time to give a flying frank about conference realignment.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt Texas legislators care about getting the SWC back together.

If there is documented evidence to the contrary...I will humbly recant all of the above

AlboSooner
9/20/2011, 08:14 PM
PR stuff to avoid making us look like the bad guy. The Pac presidents are set to vote this week. They're not going to vote on a team who is not coming. ACC made sure the status quo is dead.

soonerboomer93
9/20/2011, 08:16 PM
@GeorgeSchroeder
George Schroeder
Interesting developments in Big 12 today. Reiterate: When comes time, Pac-12 will have votes to add Oklahoma/Ok St. LHN remains issue for UT

@BryanDFischer
Bryan Fischer
I'm with @GeorgeSchroeder, OU/OSU appear to have the votes, Scott is already working on the next step: Texas.

UT trying to blame ESPN: http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Blame-it-on-ESPN-40808

There is also a rumor flying now that ND and UT to the ACC again. Seems the ND AD and UT's AD have been working together - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/216199/20110919/acc-expansion-rutgers-uconn-conference-realignment-pittsburgh-syracuse-notre-dame.htm

The only thing consistent is that OU/OSU are going to the PAC and President Boren aired his grievances on the way out the door. Boone Pickens should learn to sit down and shut up because he makes like he is the spokesman for OSU which makes their President look even weaker. :)

the 247 one is pretty accurate as to LHN and HS sports

spanielboy
9/20/2011, 08:28 PM
What are your thoughts about the idea of creating the first super conference by merging the Big12 and the leftovers in the Big East , as well as Boise State and BYU?

Create a pod system that has been spoken about the PAC-12 if it were to go to 16 teams, and apply it to the new Flyover Conference.

Pod #1
BYU
Boise State
Kansas
Kansas State

Pod #2
Texas
Baylor
Mizzou
Louisville

Pod #3
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Pod #4
Louisville
Cincinnati
West Virginia
South Florida

Have one "rivalry" game that crosses pods that have to be played -- to keep something like the RRS going. As well as having Kansas play Mizzou as the "rivalry" game.

SoonerMarkVA
9/20/2011, 09:02 PM

This makes me dance in the streets if true.

GreenSooner
9/20/2011, 09:03 PM
What are your thoughts about the idea of creating the first super conference by merging the Big12 and the leftovers in the Big East , as well as Boise State and BYU?

Create a pod system that has been spoken about the PAC-12 if it were to go to 16 teams, and apply it to the new Flyover Conference.

Pod #1
BYU
Boise State
Kansas
Kansas State

Pod #2
Texas
Baylor
Mizzou
Louisville

Pod #3
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Pod #4
Louisville
Cincinnati
West Virginia
South Florida

Have one "rivalry" game that crosses pods that have to be played -- to keep something like the RRS going. As well as having Kansas play Mizzou as the "rivalry" game.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable letting Louisville field two separate teams ;)

btb916
9/20/2011, 09:07 PM

Pod #1
BYU
Boise State
Kansas
Kansas State

Pod #2
Texas
Baylor
Mizzou
Louisville

Pod #3
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Pod #4
Louisville
Cincinnati
West Virginia
South Florida

My thoughts are that's a terrible conference I would not want to see OU be a part of.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/20/2011, 09:13 PM

Pod #1
BYU
Boise State
Kansas
Kansas State

Pod #2
Texas
Baylor
Mizzou
Louisville

Pod #3
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Pod #4
Louisville
Cincinnati
West Virginia
South Florida

well...my thoughts are that nothing like this has been even mentioned. So its kinda like wondering what if we can get a flat tax where everyone pay their fair shre :greedy_dollars:

bluedogok
9/20/2011, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerMom2;3348428]All you see is it will be a short time -- , or they reconsistitute the old SWC which is what those legislators want them to do and keep the Longhorn Network in tact./QUOTE]

not agreeing or disagreeing with this....but Im wondering where people are getting this? What statements have been made by legislators, officials, or anyone who is connected with the State Government of Texas that would make people say this.

I will even accept rumors from someone who is married to the brother of a state official as verification that there is merit to this statement. I know there are human beings in Oklahoma and Texas Government who like us attended one of these schools, therefore are passionate like us about college football. But Im really not sure that they really have the time to give a flying frank about conference realignment.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt Texas legislators care about getting the SWC back together.

If there is documented evidence to the contrary...I will humbly recant all of the above
You are kidding yourself if you don't think some legislators aren't the same as the "Way Too Proud of Texas Guy" from the Bud Light ads and wouldn't want to form a Texas only SWC v2.0 conference. Too many of them are the obnoxious Texans the rest of the country despises. The vast majority probably don't care but they also aren't the ones usually squawking, the vocal minority always makes themselves heard whether they deserve to be heard or not.

apMyjOAacyA

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 09:33 PM
This is a letter from some Reps and a Senator to the University of Texas I posted on the Realignment thread. I will post the link here in a minute. It showed up on Shaggy Bevo and has been all around since then. I saw it on at least five sites today and that is all I have been visiting.

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 09:36 PM
Sooner in Southlake: The letter is on thread 112, post 2224

It is quite a letter and someone posted later that it was mostly Baylor grads.

silverwheels
9/20/2011, 09:37 PM
I'm beginning to think Dan Beebe is an ESPN double agent who has been trying to kill the Big 12 all along, hoping it will create the 16 team super conferences and bringing about what ESPN has wanted all along, a playoff that they can show on their network that will get ratings that make the college basketball tournament look like a YMCA youth tournament shot on a betamax with a bad tape head.

Now THAT is left field. And it would be the most hilarious thing ever if true.

Neath a Western Sky
9/20/2011, 10:47 PM
FW businesses support TCU because they keep some jobs in FW. TCU is a very small school and has a small following. They are enlrging a stadium that they rarely fill. They will not in any way, shape or form make up for the loss of aTm in the TV market. Their once in a blue moon big game will draw in fans from the other schools, but still not enough to pay their way.

I'll admit I don't know exactly what constitutes TCU's paying its way. But they finished #2 in the nation last year and took 35,000 fans for their nationally televised Rose Bowl victory over the Big 10 Conference champion. If nothing like that ever happens again for them, you may be right, maybe they're not worth it. But if it does, or even close--and with Gary Patterson as head coach there's at least a reasonable chance it will--then I'd want them in my conference, especially with A & M and possibly Mizzou gone. Oh, and I guess now, us not going to the PAC 12...

SoonerinSouthlake
9/21/2011, 11:49 AM
Sooner in Southlake: The letter is on thread 112, post 2224

It is quite a letter and someone posted later that it was mostly Baylor grads.

must admit that I have no Idea how to search for threads by number...but without looking, I suspect you are referring to the letter that Baylor put up on their website for a few days...it was a "dont mess with Texas" theme (which incited a cease and desist order from the State of Texas )

IF thats what you are referring to that was hardly written by Legislators who are truly aimed at using their status to put the SWC back together. It was influential Baylor alumnus who realize they are getting ready to be sent to the Mountain West Conference

StaTusDiaLing
9/21/2011, 02:00 PM
I was hoping there would be a way to prohibit the Whorn network from showing any footage, photo or likeness of OU or any other Big XII team - it would be just be a bunch of orange and white bozos loving themselves. I hate the idea that they are going to make money off the network while exploiting the existance of other teams without any compensation.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/21/2011, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerinSouthlake;3348451]
You are kidding yourself if you don't think some legislators aren't the same as the "Way Too Proud of Texas Guy" from the Bud Light ads and wouldn't want to form a Texas only SWC v2.0 conference. Too many of them are the obnoxious Texans the rest of the country despises. The vast majority probably don't care but they also aren't the ones usually squawking, the vocal minority always makes themselves heard whether they deserve to be heard or not.

apMyjOAacyA

actually, you are kidding YOURself if you believe the state Legislature is run buy characters from the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, or the Dukes of Hazard.

Like I said above Stage Legislators from any state are college graduates and are passionate about their schools. So they will do a few things to pander to their constituencies and give sound bite about whatever school they love

But in this case I have heard of no legitimate stories of Legislators from the State of Texas making any serious comments about using their position to get the SWC back together.

by the way...love that commercial and miss the Real Men of Genius campaign