PDA

View Full Version : Missouri has an offer from the SEC

Sooner in Tampa
9/20/2011, 01:29 PM
Allegedly

Mizzou has SEC offer, but SEC willing to wait

By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star
COLUMBIA | The Southeastern Conference has an offer on the table for Missouri to join its league, and SEC officials are willing to wait for an answer from Missouri until the future of the Big 12 is decided.

That information has come to The Star through a Mizzou booster who spoke directly to a MU official. Another source told The Star on Tuesday that an Oklahoma official had said the SEC is interested in Missouri.

MU chancellor Brady Deaton has gone on record numerous times that, as chairman of the Big 12’s Board of Directors, he is working on keeping the Big 12 together.

But with Texas and Oklahoma regents each authorizing school officials to look elsewhere on Monday, the prospects of a viable Big 12 without either or both of those schools would be in question.

sooneredaco
9/20/2011, 01:34 PM
Bye Bye Big 12-2-1-2-1

OULenexaman
9/20/2011, 01:39 PM
It's hard to believe anything that comes from a Missouri booster....just look at everything we have heard before.

NormanPride
9/20/2011, 01:55 PM
I'm sure the Big 10 is crying that they missed their chance at love.

OULenexaman
9/20/2011, 01:58 PM
I really don't believe the story....so much crap has come out of Mizzery over the last....jeeze.....just looking for attention.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2011, 01:59 PM
Why wouldn't Mizzou go to the SEC? Seems like a foregone conclusion that they'd end up in SEC or Big 10.

Jacie
9/20/2011, 02:02 PM
Why wouldn't Mizzou go to the SEC? Seems like a foregone conclusion that they'd end up in SEC or Big 10.

It is not that they wouldn't go but rather, why would the SEC ask?

King Fuzzy
9/20/2011, 02:07 PM
The stadium bathroom stall sex is better in the Big 10. Or so I'm told.

A non sequitur or a opportunity to reflect?

JohnnyMack
9/20/2011, 02:11 PM
It is not that they wouldn't go but rather, why would the SEC ask?

Because they need a 14th school. It adds the STL and KC markets to the TV contract.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/20/2011, 02:17 PM
I'll tell you what is puzzling to me... with KU and MU both being AAU, why the Big10 is so quiet and hasn't already fired a salvo their direction. Effectively you would lock up the KC and St.Louis TV markets (having already taken NU). And while Mizzou FB has only been good of late, and KU pretty much never, both schools would seriously upgrade the Big10's BB profile, which took a step back w/ NU.

That would start puting pressure on Notre Dame.... who just pulled a Texas a couple days ago and professed a desire to go ACC if they must join a conference. And which I don't believe for a second personally. If the Big 10 were to, tomorrow, invite KU, MU, Notre Dame, and Rutgers, I believe they could pull it off and call it a day. Then everyone else will start scrambling for spots.

Jacie
9/20/2011, 02:29 PM
Because they need a 14th school. It adds the STL and KC markets to the TV contract.

You are delusional. The SEC doesn't have to ask. They got teams begging to get in and I gotta question them "wanting" Missouri.

saucysoonergal
9/20/2011, 02:31 PM
The SEC doesn't have enough tigers, duh! ;)

SoonerMom2
9/20/2011, 02:33 PM
Kansas has a little brother problem as their Board of Regents said the two schools have to stay together. We are tied with KS at 101 while OSU is 132 and KSU is 143 in the rankings.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2011, 02:54 PM
You are delusional. The SEC doesn't have to ask. They got teams begging to get in and I gotta question them "wanting" Missouri.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2011, 02:57 PM
If the Big 10 were to, tomorrow, invite KU, MU, Notre Dame, and Rutgers, I believe they could pull it off and call it a day. Then everyone else will start scrambling for spots.

This certainly makes sense. They tried to get the NY market....errrr....Rutgers last year but pulled back a bit. It's not necessarily about football and/or basketball matchups and traditions, it's about getting eyes in front of the TV sets. Rutgers and ND do both of these things.

The Maestro
9/20/2011, 03:28 PM
I just think it sucks that size of T.V. market, advertising eyeballs and money is the driving force of these decisions. Missouri is SO much more a Big 10 fit than an SEC fit it ain't even funny. I mean, the end result I like...but what is driving it feels dirty.

Soonerfan88
9/20/2011, 04:02 PM
I think B1G is quietly working on a big, final push at ND. With the almost certainty of 14-16 team superconferences, independents are no longer going to have much leverage. If ND says no this time, I think B1G will then go after Rutgers and Mizz.

Mile High Sooner
9/20/2011, 05:31 PM
I'll tell you what is puzzling to me... with KU and MU both being AAU, why the Big10 is so quiet and hasn't already fired a salvo their direction. Effectively you would lock up the KC and St.Louis TV markets (having already taken NU). And while Mizzou FB has only been good of late, and KU pretty much never, both schools would seriously upgrade the Big10's BB profile, which took a step back w/ NU.

Totally agree! Mizzou, Iowa State, K-State and Kansas are the perfect fit for B1C. They certainly measure up to the likes of Indiana, Northwestern & Purdue. And, outside of Penn State, they's be a conference that stays regionally in the Midwest.

101sooner
9/20/2011, 05:42 PM
Allegedly

Mizzou has SEC offer, but SEC willing to wait

That information has come to The Star through a Mizzou booster who spoke directly to a MU official. Another source told The Star on Tuesday that an Oklahoma official had said the SEC is interested in Missouri.

I don't think Mizzou has an an SEC offer.

kevpks
9/20/2011, 05:57 PM
At least A&M will have a team they can regularly beat in their division.

Sabanball
9/20/2011, 07:42 PM
The Birmingham News, the hometown paper for the SEC office, is now reporting this as well.....

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/tentative_plan_for_mizzou_to_j.html

As an SEC/Bama fan, I'm disappointed. Mizzou is NOT a modern southern state, they are primarily midwestern, both culturally and geographically. Their stadium/facilities are bush league compared to the large bowl-style venues we already have. KC/St Louis tv markets may add eyeballs/tv sets but they are primarily pro sports towns. West Virginia, in my opinion, would be a much better fit for our conference. This just reinforces what i've always thought--tv network deals are driving the realignment/expansion train, and Charleston and Morgantown cannot compete with KC/StLouis in that category.

Oh well, look at the positive--we're getting a dang good journalism school...:beguiled:

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2011, 07:51 PM
At least A&M will have a team they can regularly beat in their division.

Mizzou beat the crap outta aTm last year.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2011, 08:43 PM
This just reinforces what i've always thought--tv network deals are driving the realignment/expansion train,

/end of thread.

Sooner in Tampa
9/21/2011, 08:03 AM
aTm and Mizzou just water down the SEC IMO. They may add tv sets and viewers, but neither team will ever compete for an SEC Championship...they are both IDIOTS!!

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 08:06 AM
SEC can have a2m and mizzou. Who cares. If that happens mizzou is going to be one of the worst there.

ouflak
9/21/2011, 08:26 AM
aTm and Mizzou just water down the SEC IMO. They may add tv sets and viewers, but neither team will ever compete for an SEC Championship...they are both IDIOTS!!

Careful. We may be in a conference with these guys in the very near future. And then things are going to be weird between you and our current/future conference peers.

badger
9/21/2011, 08:29 AM
Soooo... everyone wanna chant S-E-C! at them as we're shutting em out Saturday? :D

Tear Down This Wall
9/21/2011, 10:14 AM
Embarrassing. Missouri, which considers itself a traditional basketball school, will end up in the best football conference. And we, a traditional power football school, will end up in a basketball conference. F'ing ridiculous.

ouflak
9/21/2011, 10:29 AM
Embarrassing. Missouri, which considers itself a traditional basketball school, will end up in the best football conference. And we, a traditional power football school, will end up in a basketball conference. F'ing ridiculous.

Well atleast we've got better academics now and... oh... nevermind.

*shrug* Boren cares less about football conference than he does about academics. He also seems to think the two are related. Great University president, except for this point. This is not only costing us big money, it's embarrassing. Oh well.

Tear Down This Wall
9/21/2011, 10:40 AM
Well atleast we've got better academics now and... oh... nevermind.

*shrug* Boren cares less about football conference than he does about academics. He also seems to think the two are related. Great University president, except for this point. This is not only costing us big money, it's embarrassing. Oh well.

So, let Boren go be the president of an Ivy League school. No one gives a crap. Again, no one buys season tickets to watch chemistry students mix sh*t up in a laboratory. I've never been to a tailgate, home or away, where people were talking Periodic Table of Elements or Pythagorean Theorem smack to us.

The Pac-12 fans won't care less if we beat them. The SEC fans will have their entire year ruined if we beat them. This is a football school. The Pac-12 is not a football conference. The SEC is. Academics talk is baloney.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/21/2011, 10:44 AM
The Birmingham News, the hometown paper for the SEC office, is now reporting this as well.....

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/tentative_plan_for_mizzou_to_j.html

As an SEC/Bama fan, I'm disappointed. Mizzou is NOT a modern southern state, they are primarily midwestern, both culturally and geographically. Their stadium/facilities are bush league compared to the large bowl-style venues we already have. KC/St Louis tv markets may add eyeballs/tv sets but they are primarily pro sports towns. West Virginia, in my opinion, would be a much better fit for our conference. This just reinforces what i've always thought--tv network deals are driving the realignment/expansion train, and Charleston and Morgantown cannot compete with KC/StLouis in that category.

Oh well, look at the positive--we're getting a dang good journalism school...:beguiled:

I don't agree on several counts. Their facilities compare very favorably with the Mississippi's, Vandy, and Kentucky. In fact, I'd say they are superior. They have thrown a lot of money into the program, starting back when Castiglione was AD.

And I would say KC is less of a pro town than you perceive. No one cares about the Royals anymore. And while the Chiefs fans are rabid, they are down. St. Louis... yes, strongly a pro sports town. But... If the goal is to capture as many of the eyeballs that do care about CFB in two sizeable TV markets... well then Mizzou is a great call.

And I don't know what you're definition of "modern Southern" is, but as I'm sure you are quite aware, Missouri was mostly a Confederate state. And Branson, MO, is pretty much "Southern Redneck Heaven." I'd say Missouri as a state compares very favorably on the hillbilly scale with West Virginia. Heck, almost a third of Missouri is further south than West Virginia, and is basically equilateral with Kentucky. And when you consider Missouri was very much the domain of one Samuel Clemens....

I think they have more Southern flavor than Midwest. Seems to me a clear contrast between Missouri culture and say Illinois or Kansas culture (which I personally would much more heavily identify as Midwest in culture.)