Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2011, 01:17 PM
I want to change my vote to "tube".

C&CDean
9/20/2011, 01:18 PM
One-eyed trouser. Oh, you said steak.

pphilfran
9/20/2011, 01:19 PM
The tenderloin portion is top notch...and I also get a bone to chew on...

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2011, 01:20 PM
Which you also do with the One-eyed Trouser and Tube varieties.

C&CDean
9/20/2011, 01:22 PM
When we butcher a calf the T-bone is the best steak on the beast. Even the non-tenderloin side is like a tenderloin.

The most overrated steak is the sirloin. By far.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2011, 01:24 PM
But is the sirloin really rated highly? Compared to the usual fare of quality steaks? Seems like it's always the cheap one.

12 oz. Sirloin at <insert restaurant here> for just fiddy cent!

Position Limit
9/20/2011, 01:32 PM
When we butcher a calf the T-bone is the best steak on the beast. Even the non-tenderloin side is like a tenderloin.

my wife and her family run cattle and usually slaughter one or two for the clan and the t-bone is just as you describe it. delish. but when i get one at high dollar steak house i usually walk away underwhelmed. onlyest place the does right is peter lugers (porterhouse).

soonermix
9/20/2011, 02:38 PM
you can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there...
no wait its got to be your bull

silverwheels
9/20/2011, 02:39 PM
Sirloin is best used for burgers.

TUSooner
9/20/2011, 02:58 PM
NY Strip. I don't even know precisely what it is, but it's not as good as a ribeye.

Theskipster
9/20/2011, 02:59 PM
T-Bone is the best steak. Love the flavor of the strip when cooked next to the bone.

Tenderloin is the most over rated steak. Yeah it is tender, but not enough connective tissue to turn into flavor.

KantoSooner
9/20/2011, 03:01 PM
filet

characterless.

TUSooner
9/20/2011, 03:07 PM
filet

characterless.

I may change my vote. This is true.

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2011, 03:18 PM
NY Strip. I don't even know precisely what it is, but it's not as good as a ribeye.

Nope. Best part of a Porterhouse/T-Bone. No way overrated. Might not be your fav, but it is awfully tasty.

bent rider
9/20/2011, 04:36 PM
Cattlemans

A really prefer Saltgrass or Kona Ranch. All about the seasoning.

C&CDean
9/20/2011, 04:45 PM
Cattlemans

A really prefer Saltgrass or Kona Ranch. All about the seasoning.

A good steak doesn't need "seasoning." A touch of olive oil, a little sea salt, a little cracked black pepper. That's it.

All those places that dose their steaks in garlic salt and other crap suck.

pphilfran
9/20/2011, 05:13 PM
This thread got me hungry...cooking a ribeye for dinner...

diverdog
9/20/2011, 05:19 PM
A good steak doesn't need "seasoning." A touch of olive oil, a little sea salt, a little cracked black pepper. That's it.

All those places that dose their steaks in garlic salt and other crap suck.

To be honest most people do not know jack chit about cooking steaks.

SicEmBaylor
9/20/2011, 05:21 PM
Sirloin is my least-favorite, but I don't know how overrated it is.
I agree that T-Bones are overrated. My parents ALWAYS grilled t-bones growing up...well done just like shoe leather.

I prefer a NY strip.

ouleaf
9/20/2011, 05:21 PM

^This^

pphilfran
9/20/2011, 05:32 PM
BURP!

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2011, 06:16 PM
I agree that T-Bones are overrated. My parents ALWAYS grilled t-bones growing up...well done just like shoe leather.

I prefer a NY strip.

In other words, you prefer one side of the T-Bone.

C&CDean
9/20/2011, 06:48 PM

I prefer a NY strip.

So you come by your completely death-wish eating habits naturally. Cool. If you prefer a well-done steak you are a complete, total, 100%, absolute, incontrovertible homo. No offense Chuck. If it's worth grilling, it's worth grilling properly. Medium rare at the most. Preferably rare. Otherwise, eat a ****ing hamburger with some A-1 or catchup.

SicEmBaylor
9/20/2011, 07:45 PM
So you come by your completely death-wish eating habits naturally. Cool. If you prefer a well-done steak you are a complete, total, 100%, absolute, incontrovertible homo. No offense Chuck. If it's worth grilling, it's worth grilling properly. Medium rare at the most. Preferably rare. Otherwise, eat a ****ing hamburger with some A-1 or catchup.

I did eat it well-done for a long long time, but I stopped that ****. I still have to have it between medium/medium-well but that's better than beef jerky.

I don't like any sauce with it at all. Steak shouldn't need any kind of sauce. Although, there was this steakhouse in MS that served some of the best steak I've ever had. It was lightly seasoned, but it was served with this au jus sauce that was to die for. This steak absolutely melted in your mouth like butter.

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2011, 08:09 PM
Skip to 4:20.

"LEAVE THE STEAK THE **** ALONE!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwCKmSmVGU

8timechamps
9/20/2011, 08:16 PM
To be honest most people do not know jack chit about cooking steaks.

Most people think a good steak is obtained from the Outback. That's the problem.

Oh, and Sirloin is the worst. Shouldn't even really qualify as "steak". Just beef.

OutlandTrophy
9/20/2011, 08:33 PM
I'd say that sirloin is the most underrated steak. There's a lot of value in that cut of meat.

I love a ribeye, the NY Strip is pretty good. I do love some skirt steak.

I wouldn't order a sirloin at Ruth's Chris or Del Frisco's but when we go to Salt Grass, Outback etc. I generally get a sirloin.

8timechamps
9/20/2011, 09:59 PM
I'd say that sirloin is the most underrated steak. There's a lot of value in that cut of meat.

I love a ribeye, the NY Strip is pretty good. I do love some skirt steak.

I wouldn't order a sirloin at Ruth's Chris or Del Frisco's but when we go to Salt Grass, Outback etc. I generally get a sirloin.

You probably like grilled pig buttholes though.

Soonerus
9/20/2011, 10:14 PM
Medium rare plus...

Curly Bill
9/20/2011, 10:16 PM
If there's not a pool of blood in the plate when they bring it out it's been cooked too damn long!

OU_Sooners75
9/20/2011, 10:50 PM

Ill try to explain this for all to understand.

A true T-Bone steak has two different loin cuts in it. One is the filet (or tenderloin) and the other is the strip.

The difference between a Porterhouse and T-Bone at a steak house is the Porterhouse will have at least a 3 inch wide tenderloin on it. Where a T-Bone has less than a 3 inch tenderloin.

So lets go on to the NY Strip. It is also known as the KC Strip, usually the eastern US calls it a New York, western a Kansas City. Same cut of meat though.

Now, the NY Strip is the T-Bone without the bone and tenderloin.

So if you are saying the NY Strip is overrated, then you are also saying the T-Bone is overrated. :beguiled:

OutlandTrophy
9/20/2011, 10:58 PM
You probably like grilled pig buttholes though.

rare, please. blue rare at that.

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2011, 12:18 AM

A true T-Bone steak has two different loin cuts in it. One is the filet (or tenderloin) and the other is the strip.

The difference between a Porterhouse and T-Bone at a steak house is the Porterhouse will have at least a 3 inch wide tenderloin on it. Where a T-Bone has less than a 3 inch tenderloin.

So lets go on to the NY Strip. It is also known as the KC Strip, usually the eastern US calls it a New York, western a Kansas City. Same cut of meat though.

So if you are saying the NY Strip is overrated, then you are also saying the T-Bone is overrated. :beguiled:

Not necessarily. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if you like a T-Bone then you'd also like the NY Strip; however, if you like the NY Strip then you don't necessarily like a T-Bone?

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 12:26 AM
Umm...my day job, is actually knowing the different cuts of meat from beef to pig to deer.

I only work as a butcher.

TUSooner
9/21/2011, 07:28 AM

This is good to know, thanks. But just to be hypertechnical and argumentative... one could say that the strip alone is overrated, while the "complete" t-bone is not overrated, by virtue of it's having the tenderloin. I still prefer a well-marbled ribeye to either a t-bone or the strip.

Precisely where does the rib-eye come from?

pphilfran
9/21/2011, 09:11 AM
Rib – comes from the cow’s back, so it’s less muscular and more fatty. Typically found as “rib roast” or “rib steak” (“ribeye” is a bone-in form of rib steak). If you’re in Texas, you may need to suck the marrow out of the ribeye to prove your manhood if you haven’t already killed your own cow. “Prime rib” – generally the fattiest part of the cow – also comes from the back of this section.

Loin – it’s from further on the cow’s back, and because it isn’t “load bearing,” it accumulates more fat and includes some of the tastiest cuts. “Porterhouse” is a tender cut from the front of the loin (the name came from the days when the steak was served at restaurants that also served porter beer). “T-bone” comes from the middle of the short loin and includes the bone. The most tender piece of the loin comes from the back is called variously “filet mignon” (it literally means “small and boneless”), or Tenderloin Steak, Chateaubriand, Tournedos, Medallions or Fillet de Boeuf.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 10:11 AM
Cook anything long enough at the right temperature and it turns out like tenderloin. Then you just sear it and you've got yourself a great steak.

Cook a slab of the cheapest crap you can find for 17-24 hours at a constant 130-140 degrees and it'll come out perfect.

SoonerAtKU
9/21/2011, 10:14 AM
I like strip steaks, and I like a filet, but I don't normally cook them together, joined by a bone. If they have thick-cut T-bones on sale, I'll buy a bunch and break them down into strips and filets and cook them separately.

I just don't know why you'd want to cook a strip and a filet with the same method, for the same amount of time. One of them will either be over or under done, and you're wasting a good piece of beef.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 12:45 PM
This is good to know, thanks. But just to be hypertechnical and argumentative... one could say that the strip alone is overrated, while the "complete" t-bone is not overrated, by virtue of it's having the tenderloin. I still prefer a well-marbled ribeye to either a t-bone or the strip.

Precisely where does the rib-eye come from?

T-Bone = Short Loin
Ribeye is rib meat.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 12:47 PM
Rib – comes from the cow’s back, so it’s less muscular and more fatty. Typically found as “rib roast” or “rib steak” (“ribeye” is a bone-in form of rib steak). If you’re in Texas, you may need to suck the marrow out of the ribeye to prove your manhood if you haven’t already killed your own cow. “Prime rib” – generally the fattiest part of the cow – also comes from the back of this section.

Loin – it’s from further on the cow’s back, and because it isn’t “load bearing,” it accumulates more fat and includes some of the tastiest cuts. “Porterhouse” is a tender cut from the front of the loin (the name came from the days when the steak was served at restaurants that also served porter beer). “T-bone” comes from the middle of the short loin and includes the bone. The most tender piece of the loin comes from the back is called variously “filet mignon” (it literally means “small and boneless”), or Tenderloin Steak, Chateaubriand, Tournedos, Medallions or Fillet de Boeuf.
Umm...ribeye doesnt have the bone in.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 12:51 PM
There are bone-in ribeyes, you know.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 01:05 PM
Well, yeah, there can be a bone in just about any steak...just like bone-in strips...aka t-bone.

:tongue:

But unless specified, a ribeye wont have the bone in it.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 01:36 PM
I thought they all used to, but it was a recent thing that the boneless ribeye was popular... But I may be wrong. I know there's a place around here that serves them, though.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 01:57 PM
I thought they all used to, but it was a recent thing that the boneless ribeye was popular... But I may be wrong. I know there's a place around here that serves them, though.

Not sure...but I know the ribeye loins we use for our steaks in the meat market of the butcher shop are all boneless.

In fact, I cannot even remember ever getting a ribeye steak with a bone in it, even before becoming a butcher myself.

Turd_Ferguson
9/21/2011, 01:57 PM
I buy fillet's (10 to 12 oz) from the local bootcher, put a little olive oil on'm, kosher salt and ground black pepper. Fire the grill up to around 600. Throw the steak on and shut the lid for 4 minutes. Flip the steak and go another 4 minutes. Pull it out and let it rest on the cutting board for 10 minutes. Perfect med rare every time.

SoonerAtKU
9/21/2011, 01:59 PM
The bone-in ribeye is becoming more popular. You'll see them as big "tomahawk" chops, basically like a pork chop or lamb chop.

It's the newer version of a steakhouse having a huge porterhouse as their signature steak.

Personally, give me the ribeye steak and save the ribs for separate BBQ.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2011, 02:06 PM
any steak purchased at a restaurant is overrated

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2011, 02:11 PM
What's the "plate" used for? I've never heard of a plate steak.

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2011, 02:15 PM
The bone-in ribeye is becoming more popular. You'll see them as big "tomahawk" chops, basically like a pork chop or lamb chop.

It's the newer version of a steakhouse having a huge porterhouse as their signature steak.

Personally, give me the ribeye steak and save the ribs for separate BBQ.

Isn't that what is shown in the Bourdain video I posted, a rib-in ribeye? It looks very much like a lamb chop to me.

C&CDean
9/21/2011, 02:22 PM
I ain't so sure about this "bone-in ribeye." I've had "bone-in prime rib" but not rib eye.

OutlandTrophy
9/21/2011, 02:23 PM
ribeyes and prime rib aka standing rib roast, are the same piece of meat

C&CDean
9/21/2011, 02:27 PM
I'll believe it when the butcher says it.

C&CDean
9/21/2011, 02:28 PM
We do a standing rib roast every Christmas Eve with a couple in Norman. Best effing prime rib you ever had. Same guy that makes the tater salad for the tailgates makes the prime rib.

8timechamps
9/21/2011, 02:39 PM
rare, please. blue rare at that.

Blue rare, just the way I like it!

btk108
9/21/2011, 04:23 PM
I am not a fan of the bone-in

C&CDean
9/21/2011, 04:25 PM
That ain't what step said.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 09:57 PM
I'll believe it when the butcher says it.

Well, he is correct. They are the same cuts of meat.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 10:00 PM
What's the "plate" used for? I've never heard of a plate steak.

Skirt steak or Hanger steak.

real fatty and tough meat.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2011, 10:01 PM
Btk likes bone in-n-out

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2011, 10:03 PM
LMFAO!

C&CDean
9/22/2011, 07:29 AM
Well, he is correct. They are the same cuts of meat.

Now I believe it.

NormanPride
9/22/2011, 08:17 AM
Skirt steak or Hanger steak.

real fatty and tough meat.

Those are "chef cuts" that take lots of skill to cook correctly.

Or, like I said, just toss it in a 135 degree sous vide bath and walk away for a couple days. When you come back it will taste like a filet mignon.

TUSooner
9/22/2011, 09:17 AM
Not sure...but I know the ribeye loins we use for our steaks in the meat market of the butcher shop are all boneless.

In fact, I cannot even remember ever getting a ribeye steak with a bone in it, even before becoming a butcher myself.

Sometimes (at Ruth's Chris anyway) they call a rib-eye-with-bone a "cowboy" ribeye. It's good to get if you have a dog at home.

btk108
9/22/2011, 12:14 PM
Btk likes bone in-n-out

I'm not going to dignify this with a post......wait....dammit!