PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoff Hunt

ouleaf
9/20/2011, 10:34 AM
I know we've kicked off football season, but the MLB playoffs are only a couple of weeks away and the race for playoffs has really heated up. What seemed like the makings of a very boring September, a few teams have made things pretty interesting with only about 10 games left to play.

The Red Sox have gone in a nose dive this month. They were actually the AL East division leaders on September 1st and have only won 5 games since then. The Rays have made a strong push and are now only 2 games behind Boston for the AL wild card spot. We'll really find out what the Rays are made of as they have 2 series with the Yankees remaining and a home stand against Toronto to make up those two games. The Red Sox have a much easier schedule playing Baltimore twice and the Yankees once. I think if there were 20 games left the Rays could catch them, but with only 10 or so left, it doesn't look as likely.

Not to be outdone over on the NL side, the Braves also struggled down the stretch, and what was an 8.5 game lead on September first is now only a 2.5 game lead over the Cardinals who have made a really come on strong of late, and the reigning World Series Champs, the Giants, are 3.5 back. The Braves last series is against the Phillies who have long since clinched the division crown and more than likely will have secured homefield advantage throughout the playoffs by then. So I think fortunately for the Braves they will probably run into a bunch of spare Phillies players while they rest their stars for the playoffs.

Barring any giant collapses by the Brewers, Yankees, Rangers, Diamond Backs, they should all pretty much have their respective divisions locked up by the end of the week. They'll still want to keep competing for seeding and homefield advantage for at least the opening round though.

All in all, the next week should be very exciting baseball.

badger
9/20/2011, 02:29 PM
I am very excited for a winning Brew Crew to actually have a chance of making the playoffs and perhaps even winning a few games in it. Milwaukee hasn't won the division in 29 years! How incredibly awesome is that! I mean, sure the rest of you had to eventually put up with Selig as commish, but we Brewer fans had to put up with him as an owner first!

Anyway, expect vBookie events on the MLB playoffs. Holy cow... 90 wins for the Brewers and only 4 more till they clinch! Woot woot!

ouleaf
9/28/2011, 08:20 AM
If you all haven't watched these last few weeks, now is the time to tune in. The Braves and Red Sox have had epic meltdowns in the month of September. With only 1 game left in the regular season, the Cardinals and Rays have stormed back to be tied in the race for the NL and AL wild card spots. All the games are being played tonight on ESPN.

badger
9/28/2011, 08:38 AM
Just for you leaf:

vBet on tonight's playoff games that determine either a play-in or wildcard slot here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?160036-9-28-MLB-games-to-determine-playoff-spots)

ouleaf
9/29/2011, 11:35 AM
Well it happened....Two epic meltdowns complete.

The Red Sox, who were praying that game last night was called due to rain delay when they were up 3-2 in the 5th, lost in excruiating fashion. Not only did they have to watch the Rays go nuts and put on a late inning rally to beat the Yankees, but to then wind up losing their last game. Will be interesting if Francona gets canned or not....2 WS championships in 7 years should secure you for a long time just about anywhere except Boston or NY. They were in first place in their division and 9 games ahead of the rays on September 1st and have been knocked out from the playoffs. Major League choke job.

The Braves were up by 8.5 games on Sept 1 as well and lost ground to the Cardinals in the same spectacular fashion like the Red Sox in the AL. The Cardinals played great down the stretch and hopefully they can carry that hot streak into the playoffs, but it'll be tough squaring off against the Phillies in a 5 game series.

badger
9/29/2011, 12:21 PM
That was crazy. Like I said on another thread, vBookie got about 1100 vCash off of BoSox bettors alone, because NOBODY picked the Orioles. Nobody! :D

I've put events up for the divisional series' games and will probably do a few single games next week when there isn't football.