PDA

View Full Version : If our defense keeps playing like this...

The Maestro
9/19/2011, 05:04 PM
...and we move along and get to the national championship and get a win with a big portion of the credit going to the defense...I would say it is probably time for Brent Venables to get the call to be a head coach.

What I started thinking was this--say that happens. Say we join the Pac 12. Say that the U of A keeps having a disappointing season and the folks in Tucson decide it is time for a change.

Would Mike come back as the DC in Norman? I would hope so...and then Bob wouldn't have to coach against him.

MyT Oklahoma
9/19/2011, 05:05 PM
Only time will tell. Interesting thought though.

pphilfran
9/19/2011, 05:07 PM
He wouldn't come back as a DC...more than likely a trade would be in the works...Bob for Mike...AZ would have to toss in a few assistants to boot....

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2011, 05:36 PM
Our D line and LBs are monsters...but I think our secondary needs some work. They'll get better with experience, though. We knew that if there was a weak link to the defense coming into this year, that the secondary would be it.

hornswaggled
9/19/2011, 05:39 PM
...and we move along and get to the national championship and get a win with a big portion of the credit going to the defense...I would say it is probably time for Brent Venables to get the call to be a head coach.

What I started thinking was this--say that happens. Say we join the Pac 12. Say that the U of A keeps having a disappointing season and the folks in Tucson decide it is time for a change.

Would Mike come back as the DC in Norman? I would hope so...and then Bob wouldn't have to coach against him.

This sounds like a much more polite way to say "Fire Venables."

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2011, 05:48 PM

The Noles gameplan looked like they were trying to pick on Harris who bounced back with a monster game. Wort and Nelson managed to hide Lewis for the most part, I counted 4 plays where the Noles managed to isolate Lewis 1 on 1 in space, 1/2 of those went for monster gains (the big Manuel run in the first half and a screen in the second where Lewis not only missed the tackle, but blocked Nelson as well). That being said, he did play with better technique than he did last year and the whiffs looked more related to his injury than him playing ol`e.

So given all of that, IF Harris/Wort/Nelson play well consistently we should be able to hide Lewis for the most part.

The Maestro
9/19/2011, 06:18 PM
This sounds like a much more polite way to say "Fire Venables."

Not in the least. If Brent doesn't want to be a head coach somewhere, I'm glad to have him. I just wonder how long he stays...he's been on board since day one with Bob and deserves a crack as much as the likes of Mangino, Wilson and Long.

hornswaggled
9/19/2011, 06:32 PM
I was joking. You don't hear nearly as many people calling for BV's head anymore.

aj44mc
9/19/2011, 07:09 PM
As much as I hate to see BV leave OU. I would be very excited to see him at ASU since, I am sure they will be looking for a new coach soon. At least they should be, there is no excuse for the lack of discipline the Devils have.

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 07:16 PM
He's not going anywhere......Fauget oboutit

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 07:17 PM
So given all of that, IF Harris/Wort/Nelson play well consistently we should be able to hide Lewis for the most part.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not (I can never tell with anyone anymore). Or, did you mean "hide" Lewis until he's back to 100%? I'm confused.

Jacie
9/19/2011, 07:18 PM
If you are talking only about Pac-12 schools that are likely to be looking for a new head coach next season, add UCLA to the list . . .

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 07:21 PM
:pop:

landrun
9/19/2011, 07:21 PM
To me, it looks like we'll struggle defending the pass much more than the run. I wouldn't be stunned if MIzzou gives us more of a fit than FSU did.

aj44mc
9/19/2011, 07:23 PM
Maybe they will stick with Erickson untill his contract is over. Mark Stoops could be an awesome pick up. Most ASU fans would hate that though.

BlownGP
9/19/2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not (I can never tell with anyone anymore). Or, did you mean "hide" Lewis until he's back to 100%? I'm confused.

yeah, Im sorta confused too

Doged
9/19/2011, 08:38 PM
yeah, Im sorta confused too

Add me to the confused crowd on that one.

soonersyd
9/19/2011, 10:37 PM
I have heard Mike Leach being metioned for the UCLA position. Don't know if there is anything
more to it than talk radio though

rainiersooner
9/19/2011, 10:49 PM
Leach would be great at UCLA.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2011, 11:08 PM

I disregard hype and just watch the plays as they happen. If you go back to last year and watch 10 plays and watch Lewis, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. He's good when unblocked, but if anyone attempts to block him he just chickenfights with them until he's out of the play. This is on top of all the plays last year where I diagrammed him loafing while the rest of the defense is busting their hump.

That being said, it is a new year so I'm disregarding history. As I said, he did look better on his technique, but if they manage to isolate him 1 on 1 with the ball carrier he isn't going to bring them down as consistently as OU fans have been accustomed to over the last 50 years.

The Maestro
9/19/2011, 11:54 PM
Travis may not be Torrance Marshall, but his leadership is obvious and important. Guys like Wort, Nelson and Jefferson feed off what he says and the way he acts...and I think he has gotten better...so it is a win-win--keep winning aspect of his importance!

The Maestro
9/19/2011, 11:55 PM
And the Leach battle between UCLA and ASU is gonna be epic...but he will be at one of those two places and will turn their programs around and get the fan base excited again.

cleller
9/20/2011, 08:02 AM
Travis is an interesting guy to speculate about. He gets much attention, but has his detractors. His leadership is undeniable, though. My daughter worked in the OU athletic tutoring center for a couple years. (graduated in 2009) Even back then she said Travis was hands-down the most impressive football player she ever met. Sharp, charismatic, polite, involved with his studies, etc.

MojoRisen
9/20/2011, 09:52 AM
Apparently, Travis making the calls and getting everyone lined up - allowed Wort to get off and play without thinking as much.

SoonerOX
9/20/2011, 11:38 AM
It was certainly a mistake to pick on Javon. He bounced back in a big way. Damn proud of him.