PDA

View Full Version : Idiots: Time to start your Fire Huepel thread...

soonerboy_odanorth
9/19/2011, 12:23 PM
... seriously. You morons that were calling for Kevin Wilson's head should right now be SCREAMING at the top of your lungs to get rid of Huepel.

So twice we have the ball inside the 5 yard line, and minus a holding call, why didn't we punch the ball in? All we did was line up and try and pound the ball between the tackles. No play action. No TE calls. No attacking the edges. Predictable. Easily stopped by any above average defense. Gross overestimation of your personnel's ability to score with that strategy. Or unpreparedness of the offensive staff to have any other play ready to go for this game. Not to mention, every time in the game Landry did a "check with me" over to the sideline, whatever play we had been in, we checked into a, you guessed it, run between the tackles.

In short, our offense did just about everything under Huepel and Norvell that they would have done under Wilson.

All those things that you SCREAMED about as evidence of Wilson's incompetence and why he should go, are EXACTLY what happened in this game.

The only difference for you not calling for their heads this time? We won. Or won against a "worthy" opponent instead of squeaking by a "worthless" opponent (Utah State, Air Force, etc.)

Now maybe, just maybe, what you thick-headed goobers might finally start getting through your eyes and into your brains is this:

These guys, the coaches, are the professionals. They are the ones that know, intimately, every detail about theirs and the other team. That they do call plays, run formations, and game plan, and play the down and distance percentages according to the situation with the best of them. And frankly, the best evidence that they do, is that they are coaching at the FBS level, at one of the blue-bloods of FBS. These guys don't just fall off the turnip truck and get these jobs. And yes, that applies to Kevin Wilson equally as it does Josh Huepel.

So please for the rest of your miserable football watching lives, when it comes to the hiring and firing of coaches.... just STFU.

Thanks!

SoonerPride
9/19/2011, 12:25 PM
Seconded.

pphilfran
9/19/2011, 12:28 PM
I knew what play was going to be run before the ball was snapped...

cherokeebrewer
9/19/2011, 12:28 PM
what tha...

badger
9/19/2011, 12:30 PM
Speaking of Kevin Wilson, a hearty congratulations are in order. Indiana got its first win this past weekend and with a matchup against North Texas, I fully expect his Hoosiers to make it two in a row.

They are now 1-2, but both of the losses were close (please don't ask who the opponents were, that's not important!)

PrideMom
9/19/2011, 12:30 PM
Some games are to just win and get out of there! If you want razzle dazzle, save it for the at home games where we can truly appreciate it. Smart play is what you are going to see from Heupel.

ddub0224
9/19/2011, 12:35 PM
We never did get Wilson fired!

TMcGee86
9/19/2011, 12:36 PM
I'm still somewhat baffled we weren't up 21-3. Twice inside the five and we get two fgs. Not good.

Not blaming Huepel, just saying, our team needs to correct that fast.

AlboSooner
9/19/2011, 12:38 PM
you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 12:40 PM
FIRE HYPE-UL

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 12:44 PM
What is a turnip truck?

Lott's Bandana
Speaking of Kevin Wilson, a hearty congratulations are in order. Indiana got its first win this past weekend and with a matchup against North Texas, I fully expect his Hoosiers to make it two in a row.

They are now 1-2, but both of the losses were close (please don't ask who the opponents were, that's not important!)

Didn't Alabama play North Texas?

sooneredaco
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. But.... I agree!

OUinFLA
9/19/2011, 12:47 PM
I think we're lucky Jimmy hit both those field goals.

:biggrin:

sperry
9/19/2011, 12:58 PM
Didn't Alabama play North Texas?

You took the time to bold the quote, but evidently not to read what was written after it :fat:

Anyway, the offensive play calling was curious in the FSU game. Still, it's Heupel's second game calling the plays, and he'll definitely improve.

winout
9/19/2011, 01:02 PM
So you fire a guy on his second day on the job? Interesting concept.

cvsooner
9/19/2011, 01:08 PM
I think we're lucky Jimmy hit both those field goals.

:biggrin:Lucky? Stevens is only five field goals away from being the all-time FG leader at the University of Oklahoma. Let that sink in for a bit. He'll wind up being the all-time leading FG kicker. It will happen this season.

cvsooner
9/19/2011, 01:08 PM
So you fire a guy on his second day on the job? Interesting concept.Third day.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 01:09 PM
FIRE HYBL

OUinFLA
9/19/2011, 01:13 PM
Lucky? Stevens is only five field goals away from being the all-time FG leader at the University of Oklahoma. Let that sink in for a bit. He'll wind up being the all-time leading FG kicker. It will happen this season.

let me rephrase that....
Im luckly I haven't had a stroke watching some of JS's record setting field goals.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 01:16 PM
So please for the rest of your miserable football watching lives, when it comes to the hiring and firing of coaches.... just STFU.

No.

Thanks!

You're welcome. And sorry someone pissed in your Wheaties this morning.

NormanPride
9/19/2011, 01:17 PM
We ran some toss plays, and we tried to go PA to the fullback as well. I think the only thing that discourages me is that we didn't try Millard to just break some arm tackles and move the pile. Or at least to PA off of so that we could put a TE in as the receiver...

Other than that, I think the noise affected our play calling a lot in the middle of the game.

Okie35
9/19/2011, 01:22 PM
We ran some toss plays, and we tried to go PA to the fullback as well. I think the only thing that discourages me is that we didn't try Millard to just break some arm tackles and move the pile. Or at least to PA off of so that we could put a TE in as the receiver...

Other than that, I think the noise affected our play calling a lot in the middle of the game.

I knew we were going to run the ball inside the 5 but I thought Millard would get the carries.

The Maestro
9/19/2011, 01:27 PM
I'm not gonna bash anyone or any coach...I just feel like I hate formations, even inside the red zone, where we take our two best players off the field (Broyles and Stills). I mean, even if you spread them out, you at least make the box less crowded as those guys have to be accounted for.

Keller Sooner
9/19/2011, 01:28 PM
I have nuthin. :subdued:

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2011, 01:30 PM
You took the time to bold the quote, but evidently not to read what was written after it :fat:

Anyway, the offensive play calling was curious in the FSU game. Still, it's Heupel's second game calling the plays, and he'll definitely improve.

You are correct. I missed the words "and with".

English as a second language. Apologies to Baj, carry on.

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 01:39 PM
I was going to start a new thread.........But I will leave it in here.

The biggest...most outstanding improvement the Sooners have made was in the 4th quarter drive that was nothing but power runs that sealed the deal. I haven't seen that in years. I was very impressed with Josh. There was a time when Landry was a little skeered but he overcame that.

But that long slow methodical drive with power running impressed me the most of any part of the game.

C&CDean
9/19/2011, 01:52 PM

The biggest...most outstanding improvement the Sooners have made was in the 4th quarter drive that was nothing but power runs that sealed the deal. I haven't seen that in years. I was very impressed with Josh. There was a time when Landry was a little skeered but he overcame that.

But that long slow methodical drive with power running impressed me the most of any part of the game.

Except Josh wasn't running or blocking. Neither did Wilson when we sucked at power running. We have better players on the O-line, and Whaley/Clay with Millard leading the way are the real deal.

NormanPride
9/19/2011, 01:56 PM
To be fair, Dean, Josh did redesign the run game and simplify the blocking assignments. I think that is a big reason why our running game is clicking like it is.

cleller
9/19/2011, 02:36 PM
Lucky? Stevens is only five field goals away from being the all-time FG leader at the University of Oklahoma. Let that sink in for a bit. He'll wind up being the all-time leading FG kicker. It will happen this season.

I am way too lazy to research the matter, but has Jimmy "Joe Don" Stevens had a lot more attempts than some of the other big time kickers around here? (Lasher, Hartley, Duncan, Von Schamann) Switzer only had Von Schamann around for when he did not have enough time left to stuff the ball down some other team's throat.

We create a lot of offensive opportunities these days. The last couple of years we also have kicked some field goals because we could score touchdowns.

Shoot, its only right that Stevens should get the record. He is the toughest.

AlboSooner
9/19/2011, 02:39 PM
I am way too lazy to research the matter, but has Jimmy "Joe Don" Stevens had a lot more attempts than some of the other big time kickers around here? (Lasher, Hartley, Duncan, Von Schamann) Switzer only had Von Schamann around for when he did not have enough time left to stuff the ball down some other team's throat.

We create a lot of offensive opportunities these days. The last couple of years we also have kicked some field goals because we could score touchdowns.

Jimmy has had the misfortune of missing some cheap shots (for a college kicker) in key moments. He has a good made-FG percentage, but the ones he had missed, cost OU games.

Partial Qualifier
9/19/2011, 02:46 PM
FYBL HIRABLES!

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2011, 02:49 PM

Also, those named, as well as Tony D, weren't allowed to play as Freshmen.

Doged
9/19/2011, 02:50 PM
Jimmy has had the misfortune of missing some cheap shots (for a college kicker) in key moments. He has a good made-FG percentage, but the ones he had missed, cost OU games.

Plus his kicks are generally low and just plain ugly. I'm starting to feel a little more confident in him because it's true they usually weave and wobble their way through the goal posts.

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 03:01 PM
Jimmy scored eleven points in a ten point win Saturday Night. Think about that when you are dissing him. Florida State's big leg guy scored seven points.

Soonerjesse27
9/19/2011, 03:01 PM
FYBL HIRABLES!

now that's funny!

sperry
9/19/2011, 03:08 PM

Running the ball worked on exactly 2 drives out of many. This is, and should be, a pass first offense.

JohnnyMack
9/19/2011, 03:22 PM
Is it basketball season yet?

C&CDean
9/19/2011, 03:24 PM
Is it basketball season yet?

No, but analingus season opens tonight.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 03:25 PM
GOT MY ANALINGUS SEASON TICKETS

C&CDean
9/19/2011, 03:29 PM
Gonna be a hell of a tailgate party...

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 03:30 PM
Heh heh heh.

You said "tail"gate.

JohnnyMack
9/19/2011, 03:48 PM
No, but analingus season opens tonight.

Balloon knot!!!

mightysooner
9/19/2011, 03:52 PM
Unlike K-dub, we were successful punching the ball in three times inside the 5 in our previous week's game against Tulsa. I'll cut Heup some slack for failing against a great defense in his first big road test game even though it was predictable what he called. Under k-dub, we couldn't punch the ball in from inside the 5 against, well, anybody. Not even on our own home field.

cvsooner
9/19/2011, 03:58 PM
I agree he kicks an ugly ball but they don't award style points. They count for three points when they go over the crossbar and between the uprights.

OUNASH
9/19/2011, 04:05 PM
I was at the game and it was very very loud at the end of the field where we kicked the 2 FG. Jones had stated that he could not audible due to the noise, this created problems for the offense. After watching the game at home, I think Heuple did a good job of not getting us beat on the road. Best game I have been to in a very long time. Hats Off to the coaching staff and players.

MI Sooner
9/19/2011, 04:14 PM
... seriously. You morons that were calling for Kevin Wilson's head should right now be SCREAMING at the top of your lungs to get rid of Huepel.

So twice we have the ball inside the 5 yard line, and minus a holding call, why didn't we punch the ball in? All we did was line up and try and pound the ball between the tackles. No play action. No TE calls. No attacking the edges. Predictable. Easily stopped by any above average defense. Gross overestimation of your personnel's ability to score with that strategy. Or unpreparedness of the offensive staff to have any other play ready to go for this game. Not to mention, every time in the game Landry did a "check with me" over to the sideline, whatever play we had been in, we checked into a, you guessed it, run between the tackles.

In short, our offense did just about everything under Huepel and Norvell that they would have done under Wilson.

All those things that you SCREAMED about as evidence of Wilson's incompetence and why he should go, are EXACTLY what happened in this game.

The only difference for you not calling for their heads this time? We won. Or won against a "worthy" opponent instead of squeaking by a "worthless" opponent (Utah State, Air Force, etc.)

Now maybe, just maybe, what you thick-headed goobers might finally start getting through your eyes and into your brains is this:

These guys, the coaches, are the professionals. They are the ones that know, intimately, every detail about theirs and the other team. That they do call plays, run formations, and game plan, and play the down and distance percentages according to the situation with the best of them. And frankly, the best evidence that they do, is that they are coaching at the FBS level, at one of the blue-bloods of FBS. These guys don't just fall off the turnip truck and get these jobs. And yes, that applies to Kevin Wilson equally as it does Josh Huepel.

Thanks!

Well you should come watch a game with me and you'll be happy to find I'm consistent in calling for the immediate dismissal of the OC whenever we have a first and goal at the two and don't score a TD, and I applied this policy consistently on Saturday (and a room full of people who laughingly listened to my intemperate telephone rants during timeouts can vouch for this).

Bourbon St Sooner
9/19/2011, 04:14 PM
I just pissed we didn't have a 'We're Doomed!' thread last week:mad:

OH, and fire Hipul!

OUHOMER
9/19/2011, 04:36 PM
Well, hell, somebody needs to be FIRED!

soonerboy_odanorth
9/19/2011, 05:41 PM
Unlike K-dub, we were successful punching the ball in three times inside the 5 in our previous week's game against Tulsa. I'll cut Heup some slack for failing against a great defense in his first big road test game even though it was predictable what he called. Under k-dub, we couldn't punch the ball in from inside the 5 against, well, anybody. Not even on our own home field.

I didn't want to bite. If this is a hook... ok, I'll play the part of the tarpon.

Are you stupid? It's ok... some people are. Not trying to be mean. Just asking.

You're telling me that the all time NCAA record setting offense of 2008, Kevin Wilson's offense, couldn't smash the ball between the tackles for a score in the red zone?

I beg you go back and watch the entire 2008 season again from start to finish.

And then I would gently ask you to consider the makeup of our offensive lines in 2008, 2009, 2010, and this year. You cannot possibly think that the juniors and seniors of 2008 and 2011 are in any way comparable to the 2009 and 2010 editions. Think maybe that has something to do with it. Just... maybe?

You know, there is a troll that goes by the name of "judge" who posts a comment after every single OU article in the Oklahoman. His comments following Travis Haney's "film study" game breakdown... for your enjoyment:

"Mr. Haney is spoiling us. We didn’t know what we’ve missing all these years. Great to have a real sports journalist on staff. Wonder if it has soaked in by now to Heupel that you can’t run High School running play’s against a strong college defense inside the 5 with 9 in the box and your offensive line telegraphing the play. Josh, throw Wilson’s play book in the trash. It won’t work."

Really... you can't make it up. It is still Kevin Wilson's fault, apparently.

TMcGee86
9/19/2011, 06:06 PM
Well, hell, somebody needs to be FIRED!

FIRE KELVIN HYBLS!

btb916
9/19/2011, 08:05 PM
I didn't want to bite. If this is a hook... ok, I'll play the part of the tarpon.

Are you stupid? It's ok... some people are. Not trying to be mean. Just asking.

You're telling me that the all time NCAA record setting offense of 2008, Kevin Wilson's offense, couldn't smash the ball between the tackles for a score in the red zone?

I beg you go back and watch the entire 2008 season again from start to finish.

And then I would gently ask you to consider the makeup of our offensive lines in 2008, 2009, 2010, and this year. You cannot possibly think that the juniors and seniors of 2008 and 2011 are in any way comparable to the 2009 and 2010 editions. Think maybe that has something to do with it. Just... maybe?

You know, there is a troll that goes by the name of "judge" who posts a comment after every single OU article in the Oklahoman. His comments following Travis Haney's "film study" game breakdown... for your enjoyment:

"Mr. Haney is spoiling us. We didn’t know what we’ve missing all these years. Great to have a real sports journalist on staff. Wonder if it has soaked in by now to Heupel that you can’t run High School running play’s against a strong college defense inside the 5 with 9 in the box and your offensive line telegraphing the play. Josh, throw Wilson’s play book in the trash. It won’t work."

Really... you can't make it up. It is still Kevin Wilson's fault, apparently.

I didn't want to fire KW then, and I don't want to fire JH now...

But when I watch the 2008 season from beginning to end, no matter how good we were in conference play, this video and other moments like it linger with me the most: Florida's goal line stand. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHrYK7lO7s)

So yes, KW's record-setting offense could not get the job done in the game that mattered the most.

SunnySooner
9/19/2011, 08:54 PM
The other thing about Little Jimmy is...we never ask him to kick the long ones. He doesn't have to go out there and try to boot it in from the 40 or so time after time. In fact, he never has to do that. He rarely has to try much beyond the, oh, IDK, mmmm, what, 30ish or so, on the outside? So, he's basically hit a bunch of PATs that have counted for 3. That's been a function of our redzone issues, but also our complete lack of confidence in his abilities beyond that range. He may end up with the record, but it's a wee bit deceiving, me thinks.

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 10:14 PM
Me thinks some people need to look at his record before jumping on the wagon of stupidity.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stevens_jimmy00.html