PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Haywood penalty

cccasooner2
9/19/2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not clear on the flag for Austin Haywood's slobber knocker on a kickoff. Was the flag for hitting too high or taunting after the hit? The hit looked clean to me but I could see a flag for taunting. The 1st preseason scrimmage lecture by the refs officiating the scrimmage gave a warning on this exact action. Does anyone know what the actual call was?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 10:24 AM
taunting

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2011, 10:29 AM
Yep. Haywood was having some words with the 'Nole after he knocked the crap outta him.

5-0

jumperstop
9/19/2011, 10:29 AM
Didn't look like much to me though. But whatever, we won...

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 10:31 AM
Neither was one of the taunting calls on fsu...lot of the officiating puzzled me a bit..PI was let go all night but taunting was not

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 10:35 AM
I always get annoyed because the refs flag for taunting on offensive players so easily, but let the defensive guys get away flagrant taunting. But in this game, they flags tacklers for what looked to be minor - I can only guess it was what he said, because it wasn't much of a gesture.

stoopified
9/19/2011, 10:47 AM
I always get annoyed because the refs flag for taunting on offensive players so easily, but let the defensive guys get away flagrant taunting. But in this game, they flags tacklers for what looked to be minor - I can only guess it was what he said, because it wasn't much of a gesture.I too have thought defenders have gotten away with celebrating BIG plays for years.....however as a former LB I never had a roblem with it. :D

BoomerJ
9/19/2011, 10:48 AM
I only saw him shaking his head as he got up. Couldn't tell if he was mouthing anything to him. I thought it was weak.

soonerboomer93
9/19/2011, 11:00 AM
Hard to tell though since it's not like we can hear what's actually being said.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 11:03 AM
I heard it.

He called him poop face.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 11:20 AM
I heard it.

He called him poop face.

Then the ref had no choice.

NCSooner18
9/19/2011, 11:35 AM
Surely he was just asking him if he was ok........right?

yermom
9/19/2011, 11:38 AM
i can just see it now

<tauntingly nodding head> YOU OKAY BUDDY!? </tauntingly nodding head>

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 11:41 AM
I HEARD YOUR MOTHER MAKES A DELECTABLE POT ROAST!

WANT TO GO SWIMMING WITH ME AT THE HOTEL AFTER THE GAME!?

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 11:46 AM
I only saw him shaking his head as he got up. Couldn't tell if he was mouthing anything to him. I thought it was weak.

This. And then how many plays later before Walker did his bum shake that got him yanked?

JLMSOONER
9/19/2011, 12:11 PM
Lol. That was quite a dance. Looked like more than his bum was shaking!

cccasooner2
9/19/2011, 05:01 PM
This. And then how many plays later before Walker did his bum shake that got him yanked?

The TV cutie said he was yanked for a high ankle sprain. Gosh, it's so hard to get the truth. :)

OrlandoSooner
9/19/2011, 05:13 PM
I heard it.

He called him poop face.

In Haywood's defense, he thought that was his name.

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 05:47 PM
The TV cutie said he was yanked for a high ankle sprain. Gosh, it's so hard to get the truth. :)

She's an idiot. That was King wasn't it?

cccasooner2
9/19/2011, 06:23 PM
I thought she mentioned both. Because of the tackle and dance, I was surprised of her comment and wondered when it had happened. The announcing of this game was not one of ABC's finest efforts. Maybe they can't handle noise very well.

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 06:33 PM
I thought she mentioned both. Because of the tackle and dance, I was surprised of her comment and wondered when it had happened. The announcing of this game was not one of ABC's finest efforts. Maybe they can't handle noise very well.

That's what made the flag on Haywood so confusing. Right after it happened, Brent Mushmouth said "They'll get you every time if you come in too high!"...I'm not sure they ever said it was for taunting. Right after he said that, I'm thinking "WTF, coming in too high?!". Musberger gets way too wrapped up in hearing himself talk sometimes.

Jacie
9/19/2011, 07:44 PM
That's what made the flag on Haywood so confusing. Right after it happened, Brent Mushmouth said "They'll get you every time if you come in too high!"...I'm not sure they ever said it was for taunting.

I accepted the "too high" comment at face value but wondered if he was risking being called for taunting.

picasso
9/19/2011, 11:07 PM
Surely he was just asking him if he was ok........right?
Don't call him Shirley!

rainiersooner
9/19/2011, 11:15 PM

Yeah I was very confused by that too.

ouwasp
9/20/2011, 12:04 AM
Did anybody notice this... on the playback show, Bob and Dean both gushed qbout Haywood's hit......didn't mention the penalty... I like that.... Glad to know someone besides The Hammer can put the Fear of God into return men as the view game tape...

soonerinstlw
9/20/2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah I was very confused by that too.

She was doing an injury report after halftime. This was on the first play (after the kickoff). I think I recall him getting hurt in the first half, but I could be wrong about that. Clearly she didn't get the latest information.

Sooner in Tampa
9/20/2011, 05:37 AM
It was a horse**** penalty!!! Hell...you didn't even know it was a penalty until the O was getting ready to snap the ball. After watching the game on t.v. for the first time last night...I realized how big of a win this was...I mean I know it was a huge win, but there were several instances in the second where we could have just folded in that environment.

Great job by our team!!!

LVSOONER15
9/20/2011, 07:59 AM
That was a hell of a hit. Also the hit Javon put on that receiver over the middle was good.