PDA

View Full Version : Did Finch get any carries against FSU?

Dan Thompson
9/19/2011, 08:15 AM
I saw him on the field between plays, but don't remember seeing him play.

JiminyChristmas
9/19/2011, 08:16 AM
No.

BigTip
9/19/2011, 08:17 AM
Doesn't Bob know that he is our secret weapon like all of us know?!

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 08:20 AM
If Finch got any carries, he wouldn't be a secret anymore, now would he?

ouleaf
9/19/2011, 08:20 AM
Saw him split out wide on a few plays....thought there was one where Landry missed him where he could have gotten into space, but yeah, he was pretty much a non-factor on Saturday and this whole season for that matter.

rainiersooner
9/19/2011, 08:21 AM
Does this mean he's going to announce that he's transferring today?

Dan Thompson
9/19/2011, 08:22 AM
He's going to the PAC 12.

cleller
9/19/2011, 08:25 AM
We're saving him for sometime we really need him.

BigTip
9/19/2011, 08:25 AM
If Finch got any carries, he wouldn't be a secret anymore, now would he?

(slaps forehead) Dang it! I'm so stoopid.

So he's like the taser you keep in your pocket, Yes?

:beguiled:

stoopified
9/19/2011, 08:30 AM
IDK what is going on with Finch and lack of playing time BUT I trust Bob has a good reason for limiting Finch. If I were to hazard a guess,I think it is a punitive measure of some sort.

Lawton4Life
9/19/2011, 08:32 AM
In that atmosphere, you go with the players you trust the most to hold onto the rock.

mikee likee
9/19/2011, 08:38 AM
In that atmosphere, you go with the players you trust the most to hold onto the rock.
We have a winner!!!!

cleller
9/19/2011, 08:48 AM
I predict we'll see finch in the endzone in the Ball State game.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 10:32 AM
I may score a TD against ball state

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2011, 10:42 AM
He was in the slot on the play where Broyles made the critical 3rd down catch before Still's TD. He ran a short route. IIRC.
No touches tho.

5-0

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 10:52 AM
This is really hurting his heisman chances this year

BigTip
9/19/2011, 10:57 AM
I may score a TD against ball state

LOL

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 11:33 AM
When a walkon is second string, that tells you all you need to know.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/19/2011, 11:35 AM
can't afford to fumble in that game.

And it isn't that our stable of running backs isn't good. It's that Whaley should have never been a walk on.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/19/2011, 11:40 AM
Ball security and meeting tardiness are the big issues. It's unfortunate as while he may not be Oklahoma's best running back, he is certainly Oklahoma's best runner by quite a bit from what I have seen from last year and this year. Of course, as far as ball security, the coaching staff didn't seem to have a problem playing Madu in the Missouri game last season in which he immediately produced a costly fumble while Oklahoma was in scoring position, despite having just enough history of not protecting the football as well as he should.

swardboy
9/19/2011, 12:24 PM
Waken the Finch!

thecrimsoncrusader
9/19/2011, 12:32 PM
Regardless, I trust our message board posters here a lot more than Coach Stoops. After all, we're the ones that told Coach Stoops to take Ryan Reynolds out on 3rd and long situations in 2009 and they finally listened and it paid off on the defensive side of the ball. And just think of the man hours of armchair message board coaching we have on Coach Stoops and staff. It spans over 15 years now. And have we ever lost a BCS bowl game? I don't think so!

sperry
9/19/2011, 12:55 PM
Regardless, I trust our message board posters here a lot more than Coach Stoops. After all, we're the ones that told Coach Stoops to take Ryan Reynolds out on 3rd and long situations in 2009 and they finally listened and it paid off on the defensive side of the ball. And just think of the man hours of armchair message board coaching we have on Coach Stoops and staff. It spans over 15 years now. And have we ever lost a BCS bowl game? I don't think so!

Obviously the coaches know more than the fans, but coaches still make mistakes. Who knows whether Finch's lack of playing time is a mistake or not, but it's not unreasonable to question it. Whaley and Clay were both on the team last year, and Finch got playing time over both of them. He certainly looked better last year than Clay has this year. Who knows though. Maybe he's not back 100% from his injuries, maybe he's in the doghouse, maybe Clay had a better off season than him.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 12:56 PM

And to think this move inspired him to become Green Lantern.

SoonerPride
9/19/2011, 01:11 PM
The number of times Finch touches the ball can be summed up in three words:

Do.
Not.
Fumble.

cherokeebrewer
9/19/2011, 01:26 PM
The number of times Finch touches the ball can be summed up in three words:

Do.
Not.
Fumble.
Yep

thecrimsoncrusader
9/19/2011, 01:32 PM
Obviously the coaches know more than the fans, but coaches still make mistakes. Who knows whether Finch's lack of playing time is a mistake or not, but it's not unreasonable to question it. Whaley and Clay were both on the team last year, and Finch got playing time over both of them. He certainly looked better last year than Clay has this year. Who knows though. Maybe he's not back 100% from his injuries, maybe he's in the doghouse, maybe Clay had a better off season than him.

Yeah, I know, I was semi-kidding. I have been disappointed as well to see Finch not get carries as he gives you that Mike Gaddis, Demond Parker, A.D. and Demarco Murray (freshman year) "hold your breath every time he touches the ball" feeling.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 01:45 PM
Mike Gaddis

Proud Titan! Greatest running back to wear the Scarlet and Silver.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/19/2011, 01:48 PM
I know that DeJuan Miller should have played more last year before the injury. Take that coaches!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 01:51 PM
I still don't get the fascination with Finch....There, I said it.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 01:52 PM
again

SoonerPride
9/19/2011, 01:55 PM

Really, I mean he ain't no Donta Hickson. [inset alien head smiley if this site had it]

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 01:57 PM
There's only 1...Donta Hickson

BigTip
9/19/2011, 02:38 PM

Like was just said, he has that "hold your breath" thing going on. That water bug running style is fun to watch.
Whaley? Geez, up the middle, touchdown, up the middle, touchdown, up the middle, touchdown. BORING! :tongue:

SanJoaquinSooner
9/19/2011, 02:49 PM
it's all about matchups

cvsooner
9/19/2011, 03:37 PM
Thing that surprised me was that only five receivers (Stills, Broyles, Clay, Millard and Hanna) had all the catches, and Clay, Millard and Hanna had only four of the 18 total). Nothing to Finch, nothing to Ratteree, nothing to Miller--I was especially surprised that Miller didn't have something.

I think Finch is only going to get used in special situations where he can be an effective weapon, and FSU wasn't it.

starclassic tama
9/19/2011, 03:48 PM
When a walkon is second string, that tells you all you need to know.what does this mean?

dennis580
9/19/2011, 04:53 PM
IDK what is going on with Finch and lack of playing time BUT I trust Bob has a good reason for limiting Finch. If I were to hazard a guess,I think it is a punitive measure of some sort.

Yes Bob sure does have good reasons, and they are called Whaley, and Clay, and way too many good receivers.

Simply put barring injury to to other players Finch simply does NOT have a role on this team. OU fans need to start accepting that.

OU69BeaufortCounty
9/19/2011, 04:57 PM
I was watching Finch after one play where he was blocking and he got into it with an FSU DB after the play...they were both shoving each other in the chest....a ref came running across the field to break up the (he seemed to think) impending fight, but by the time he got there, Roy and the guy had turned into seeming buddies. I suspect he may have been trading smack with a former Florida HS opponent.

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2011, 05:00 PM
Honestly, both Clay and Whaley look better with the ball than Finch, but that's just my opinion. Every time I see Finch get hit, I worry that he's not gonna get up. The kid runs like he's Jerome Bettis or Adrian Peterson, bullrushing everybody, but he's not as big as he runs.

dennis580
9/19/2011, 05:06 PM
When a walkon is second string, that tells you all you need to know.

Whaley is actually getting starters carries. So while Whaley may not actually start the game he is in reality the starter.

Carries this season by running backs

Whaley 39
Clay 26
Miller 7
Finch 5

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/201/oklahoma-sooners

SyN
9/19/2011, 05:07 PM
Dennis: He does have a role on this team... All it takes is one play for Whaley or Clay to get their head knocked off or blown knee... then it's up to Finch or Brandon Williams to be that next guy... Clay can't go every down...Whaley reminds me of Allen Patrick... But he can't go every down either... They need all 4 of these guys...To be ready @ any given time... He might not have the starting RB job...But he does have a role...

cherokeebrewer
9/19/2011, 05:10 PM
Simply put barring injury to to other players Finch simply does NOT have a role on this team. OU fans need to start accepting that.
Yes he does

dennis580
9/19/2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I know, I was semi-kidding. I have been disappointed as well to see Finch not get carries as he gives you that Mike Gaddis, Demond Parker, A.D. and Demarco Murray (freshman year) "hold your breath every time he touches the ball" feeling.

Finch certainly does NOT give me that kinda of feelling. I think you guys are way overrating him. Anyway if it was my choice Whaley would be the feature back, and get 25 carries a game.

dennis580
9/19/2011, 05:17 PM
Dennis: He does have a role on this team... All it takes is one play for Whaley or Clay to get their head knocked off or blown knee... then it's up to Finch or Brandon Williams to be that next guy... Clay can't go every down...Whaley reminds me of Allen Patrick... But he can't go every down either... They need all 4 of these guys...To be ready @ any given time... He might not have the starting RB job...But he does have a role...

Thats why I said BARRING INJURY. If both Whaley, and Clay stay healthy, and our receivers stay healthy there is simple no place for Finch to contribute on this team.

SyN
9/19/2011, 05:22 PM
Whaley probably needs to be the featured Back!!! He has earned that Job!!! But he can't go the whole game... My ? is Clay... I bet Brandon Williams will see a RS this yr... I might be wrong... but he is a Stud!!! I just think Finch needs to touch the ball at least 5 to 10 times a game... Clay maybe the same...

cccasooner2
9/19/2011, 05:40 PM
One look at the video OU23 FSU13 picture on SoonerSports with Whaley hanging on to the ball while being tackled tell you why he is the man. I didn't know how to capture it. Help anyone?

Edit: the one on SoonerFans and selecting football. The same vid in All-Access has a different screen shot.

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 05:55 PM
Like was just said, he has that "hold your breath" thing going on. That water bug running style is fun to watch.
Whaley? Geez, up the middle, touchdown, up the middle, touchdown, up the middle, touchdown. BORING! :tongue:

No kidding. What's up with walk-ons? No creativity at all....

cccasooner2
9/19/2011, 07:40 PM
One look at the video OU23 FSU13 picture on SoonerSports with Whaley hanging on to the ball while being tackled tell you why he is the man. I didn't know how to capture it. Help anyone?

Edit: the one on SoonerFans and selecting football. The same vid in All-Access has a different screen shot.

Found the picture on Facebook.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320849_10150302631267005_99307042004_8134855_14828 91552_n.jpg

East Coast Bias
9/19/2011, 08:07 PM
My choice would be to see Whaley as the feature back as well but i think Clay did an outstanding job in the game and is a very solid back. He is not as flashy as Whaley but made some really tough runs and dished out some pain. He looked much better than he did in the Tulsa game. To me that is why Finch is on the bench and Williams is heading toward a red-shirt.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/19/2011, 08:26 PM
I read on a blog today that Finch had dropped 20 lbs or so since last season. From the 180+ to about 165?!

If that's true, what's up with that? And if that's true, that's a huge reason to not have him carrying the rock.

birddog
9/19/2011, 08:30 PM
he'll play. he's waaay too talented to not bring in during certain situations with broyles, stills, hanna, and whaley.

good luck with stopping all that.

tulsaoilerfan
9/19/2011, 08:34 PM
Who cares? We're 2-0 right now and that's all that matters

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 08:44 PM
Whaley is actually getting starters carries. So while Whaley may not actually start the game he is in reality the starter.

Carries this season by running backs

Whaley 39
Clay 26
Miller 7
Finch 5

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/201/oklahoma-sooners

Well yes, but i meant Clay always Starts the game. Not hating on Whaley, just saying he is a late bloomer obviously.

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 10:43 PM
what does this mean?

It means he doesn't know either but wanted to say something, anything.

SoonerMom2
9/19/2011, 11:18 PM
They said on one of our sports stations that Clay and Whaley worked really hard this summer and Finch slacked off which may be another reason. Stoops rewards hard work.

oudavid1
9/20/2011, 12:11 AM
It means he doesn't know either but wanted to say something, anything.

Really? look who's talking

NOVSooner
9/20/2011, 01:29 PM
Stoops said today

"Finch not playing b/c we feel other guys are doing it better. we're gonna play guys to win. If i don't win, i get fired"

"Finch was not ready to get off the bench. we couldn't find him...burned up about 8 seconds"

"it's just kinda how it's worked out. these other guys have done well but we'll get roy more and more as we go"