PDA

View Full Version : Our Kicking Game

basel90
9/19/2011, 08:01 AM
While Tress Way did a solid game , and coverage was good , i am sure Stoops and many are worried about our FG Kicking.
To win a National Championship, it certainly helps to have a good kicker. From what i have seen , i doubt stoops trust he has anything more than a decent but not a top 10 caliber kicker. I am not sure how this has remained an issue since Garret left . Correct me if am wrong but this has been a weak point for more than 3-4 years.
is Stevens the best OU can muster from all our recruiting prowess? I think not... Thoughts fellow sooners?

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 08:08 AM
While Tress Way did a solid game , and coverage was good , i am sure Stoops and many are worried about our FG Kicking.
To win a National Championship, it certainly helps to have a good kicker. From what i have seen , i doubt stoops trust he has anything more than a decent but not a top 10 caliber kicker. I am not sure how this has remained an issue since Garret left . Correct me if am wrong but this has been a weak point for more than 3-4 years.
is Stevens the best OU can muster from all our recruiting prowess? I think not... Thoughts fellow sooners?

You are wrong, criticism breath! Go back and watch that last FG from Saturday and tell me how many other kickers could pull that off. Jimmy Stevens is the most interesting kicker in the world.

cleller
9/19/2011, 08:11 AM
I keep trying to tell you that Stevens is going nowhere. Behind his back they all call him "Joe Don" or JD, because he is the wildest, most violent guy we've had since Joe Don Looney. The only guy brave enough to eat with him is Ronnell, and he always lets Stevens go first.
If Uwe Von Schamann had another year of eligibility Stoops would be afraid to bench JD Stevens.

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2011, 08:14 AM
"decent but not a top 10 caliber kicker"... LOL. I guess that's one way to say the worst kicker that I've ever seen at OU, and it isn't even close. I too am dumbfounded that he has been the starting kicker for 4 years now. Doesn't that girl kicker from Colorado a few years back have some eligibility left?

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 08:15 AM
They used to have Stevens doing the kickoffs, but it got too expensive losing all those balls to fans behind the goal post.

BigTip
9/19/2011, 08:16 AM
Jimmy Stevens is the most interesting kicker in the world.

LOL, and not in the good way like this guy.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/TheMostInterestingManInTheWorld_1426.jpg

Lawton4Life
9/19/2011, 08:36 AM
It's crazy to see FSUs kicker nail one from 49 that would have been good from 70. UCLA's PUNTER was doing their fgs and he made one from 51 and 53. We cant event think about a FG until we're on the 20 practically and even then its going to get dicey.

Again, no one is picking on Jimmy Stevens the person. It's just you'd think the University of Oklahoma could have a kicker on par with what these other schools have.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 08:49 AM
Stevens out kicked FSU's golden shoes boy 11pts to 7pts. And after the game, he beat him up and stole his girlfriend too.

cleller
9/19/2011, 08:52 AM
Florida State is due to have a decent kicker. Their wide-right, wide-left problems of years past greatly overshadow ours.

Stevens is a cage-fighter.

budbarrybob
9/19/2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry but our field goal kicking isn't even in the top 10 in the Big 12-2-1-4

and yes I know that equals far less than 10. So, there ya go!

SoonerNate
9/19/2011, 05:12 PM
Eshbach just mentioned this thread on the SA. LMAO

SyN
9/19/2011, 05:16 PM
Jimmy will be a hero as long has he keeps making the kicks... As soon as he loses a game for the Sooners... He will Be Thrashed!!! ROFL Poor Kid! I hope he never misses again this year... esp an extra Pt..

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 05:57 PM
I keep trying to tell you that Stevens is going nowhere. Behind his back they all call him "Joe Don" or JD, because he is the wildest, most violent guy we've had since Joe Don Looney. The only guy brave enough to eat with him is Ronnell, and he always lets Stevens go first.
If Uwe Von Schamann had another year of eligibility Stoops would be afraid to bench JD Stevens.

WTF are you talking about?!?!?!

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 05:58 PM
Sorry but our field goal kicking isn't even in the top 10 in the Big 12-2-1-4

and yes I know that equals far less than 10. So, there ya go!

In this case, I understand that math.

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 06:10 PM
Oh Yeah ?

Every time he goes for a swim. Dolphins appear.
His legend precedes him, the way lightning precedes thunder.
Chihuahuas have never barked at him, he is just that intimidating
He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 06:22 PM
I hate kicking. I wish it were gone from the game forever, but that's never going to happen. That being said, Jimmy stepped up and did his job Saturday (no matter how ugly it may have been). If nothing else, it makes EVERY xtra point and field goal "interesting".

Speaking of kicking, WTF is with the NFL's new kickoff rule?! At the Broncos game yesterday, a Bengal DB was called for a personal foul on a Broncos touchdown, and the penalty was added to the (already short) kickoff. The Broncos kicked from the 50!

delhalew
9/19/2011, 06:31 PM
I hate kicking. I wish it were gone from the game forever, but that's never going to happen. That being said, Jimmy stepped up and did his job Saturday (no matter how ugly it may have been). If nothing else, it makes EVERY xtra point and field goal "interesting".

Speaking of kicking, WTF is with the NFL's new kickoff rule?! At the Broncos game yesterday, a Bengal DB was called for a personal foul on a Broncos touchdown, and the penalty was added to the (already short) kickoff. The Broncos kicked from the 50!

If the only D lineman to not raise his paws had got a hand up, you'd be singing a different tune right now.

BigTip
9/19/2011, 06:32 PM

Wasn't watching that one.

Did he make the field goal? lol

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 06:46 PM
Wasn't watching that one.

Did he make the field goal? lol

Yep.

SoonerofAlabama
9/19/2011, 06:47 PM
We go for TDs not FGs.

Oh, and Jimmy is at least accurate. :) On the positive.

And who knows, we have five kickers, I say give them a try.

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 06:48 PM
If the only D lineman to not raise his paws had got a hand up, you'd be singing a different tune right now.

Isn't that like saying "If only..." about anything? It was ugly, sure, but he made it. That's the beauty, I don't have to change my tune because he did his job. But, like I said, I hate kicking in football. Just seems so infuriating that a hard played game can hinge on whether or not a nutjob kicker has his head in the right place.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 06:56 PM
People have had 3 seasons and 2 games to whine about our kicking - there is nothing to be gained by more whining. Sit back and enjoy the heart pumping adrenaline you receive from our XP and FG attempts as part of your total entertainment package. And there is no extra charge!!

Having said that, I still wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy has kicked his last kick after Bob's face-palm reaction Saturday. Regardless, I'm just goin' with flow. Jimmy is the most interesting kicker in the world.

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 07:19 PM
Neva seen a bunch of folks get so rilled up about a kicker that was PERFECT in HUGE game.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2011, 07:22 PM
Sorry Jimmy, if you read this, but you should get better or give up the scholly.

You're scary. You have no distance and you kick it flat. Even a PAT is no gimme anymore. OU needs Mr. Automatic putting it thru the goalposts.

One of these games you're gonna miss an easy one that costs us, and BoulderSooner79 will be here having to eat a big plate.

It's time you step aside and let Mr. Bigfoot have a chance.

5-0

hornswaggled
9/19/2011, 07:36 PM
http://youtu.be/71k5ArWpiZg

delhalew
9/19/2011, 07:50 PM
Isn't that like saying "If only..." about anything? It was ugly, sure, but he made it. That's the beauty, I don't have to change my tune because he did his job. But, like I said, I hate kicking in football. Just seems so infuriating that a hard played game can hinge on whether or not a nutjob kicker has his head in the right place. It wasn't ugly. It was unacceptable. He was lucky he didn't hit a defender in the head.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2011, 08:24 PM
It wasn't ugly. It was unacceptable. He was lucky he didn't hit a defender in the head.

Or the center's crack.

5-0

delhalew
9/19/2011, 08:26 PM
Or the center's crack.

5-0

We'll file that under it could have been worse.

Sooner91ATL
9/19/2011, 08:29 PM
without Jimmy's 11 points, we would not have won. He's no Uwe, but he is getting it done.

Ground_Attack
9/19/2011, 08:36 PM
without Jimmy's 11 points, we would not have won. He's no Uwe, but he is getting it done.

You're assuming if Jimmy wasn't our kicker we would just forfeit those plays?

Collier11
9/19/2011, 08:49 PM
Jimmy is 23 of his last 27, he may kick em ugly but he is a good kicker

Ground_Attack
9/19/2011, 09:06 PM
Jimmy is 23 of his last 27, he may kick em ugly but he is a good kicker

Agreed. However, none of his FG this year have been from a distance beyond 31 yards. Any high school kicker worth his salt should be able to post the same state line (without creating the grimace and face palm that we have seen on Stoops's face). His stats are "good" because Bob knows not to push him. In 3+ years, he has made a whopping total of THREE FG of 40 yards or longer (longest is 42). FSU's kicker made 2 longer in one game. Its easy to make a put when its a gimme.

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 09:58 PM

No we have 4-5 NFL caliber kickers on the team but Venables wants Jimmy. What are you going to do? :cower:

kevpks
9/19/2011, 10:07 PM
Jimmy looks great in the box score; I'll give him that.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 10:19 PM
Sorry Jimmy, if you read this, but you should get better or give up the scholly.

You're scary. You have no distance and you kick it flat. Even a PAT is no gimme anymore. OU needs Mr. Automatic putting it thru the goalposts.

One of these games you're gonna miss an easy one that costs us, and BoulderSooner79 will be here having to eat a big plate.

It's time you step aside and let Mr. Bigfoot have a chance.

5-0

Jimmy is a senior and asking him to give up a scholly now is absurd. Probably couldn't even award it to anyone now. And the coaches would not ask him to at this point because they are not doosh rockets. They could bench him. And I won't eat a plate of anything regardless of what happens. I was even betting he would miss that last kick, so ugly was good, IMO. I understand the future risk. All I am saying is that whining is getting extremely tedious and contains zero information - WE ALL KNOW STEVENS' ABILITY. It hasn't changed for 3+ years. He is not getting any better. But the threads about it are even worse and down right boorish. We'll have a different kicker next year and I'll cheer Jimmy on senior day. If he gets benched this year, that's the way it goes - OU is all about competition. If he misses an important kick, I won't go all ape-sh*t because I certainly know it's possible, but he's doing his best. In the meantime, I'll take it as it goes and be able to LOL at moments like Bob's face-palm and an XP that barely clears the bar.

cccasooner2
9/19/2011, 10:22 PM
Agreed. However, none of his FG this year have been from a distance beyond 31 yards. Any high school kicker worth his salt should be able to post the same state line (without creating the grimace and face palm that we have seen on Stoops's face). His stats are "good" because Bob knows not to push him. In 3+ years, he has made a whopping total of THREE FG of 40 yards or longer (longest is 42). FSU's kicker made 2 longer in one game. Its easy to make a put when its a gimme.

Payment in salt is forbidden under NCAA bylaws I think.

delhalew
9/19/2011, 10:28 PM
You can't count on him. What more needs to be said. Let him keep his scholly and his great view of the games. Find someone consistent.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 10:30 PM
You can't count on him. What more needs to be said. Let him keep his scholly and his great view of the games. Find someone consistent.

Wow. More new information.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2011, 10:57 PM
Jimmy is a senior and asking him to give up a scholly now is absurd. Probably couldn't even award it to anyone now. And the coaches would not ask him to at this point because they are not doosh rockets. They could bench him. And I won't eat a plate of anything regardless of what happens. I was even betting he would miss that last kick, so ugly was good, IMO. I understand the future risk. All I am saying is that whining is getting extremely tedious and contains zero information - WE ALL KNOW STEVENS' ABILITY. It hasn't changed for 3+ years. He is not getting any better. But the threads about it are even worse and down right boorish. We'll have a different kicker next year and I'll cheer Jimmy on senior day. If he gets benched this year, that's the way it goes - OU is all about competition. If he misses an important kick, I won't go all ape-sh*t because I certainly know it's possible, but he's doing his best. In the meantime, I'll take it as it goes and be able to LOL at moments like Bob's face-palm and an XP that barely clears the bar.

I'm not ready to settle for mediocrity. Jimmy is a mediocre kicker at best. Some of the Sooners are really trying for another Championship and Jimmy is a definite weak link. I'll really feel sorry if it all comes down to a 40 yard field goal and Jimmy can't pull it off. Some people are OK with that I guess.

5-0

agoo758
9/19/2011, 11:28 PM
That's because we don't bother kicking it from the 28 and beyond anymore.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2011, 11:58 PM
That's because we don't bother kicking it from the 28 and beyond anymore.

So we're 4rd and goal from the 28 after a penalty and a coupla sacks. We're behind by 2 points. 10 seconds left. You call the play.

5-0

hornswaggled
9/20/2011, 12:20 AM
You're assuming if Jimmy wasn't our kicker we would just forfeit those plays?

If Jimmy is not our best kicker, then the coach must be saving the best for a later time when we really need to score.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2011, 12:31 AM
I'm not ready to settle for mediocrity. Jimmy is a mediocre kicker at best. Some of the Sooners are really trying for another Championship and Jimmy is a definite weak link. I'll really feel sorry if it all comes down to a 40 yard field goal and Jimmy can't pull it off. Some people are OK with that I guess.

5-0

So what are you going to do since you can't accept it- quite watching? Are you saying Jimmy isn't trying to win a championship? If he voluntarily quits the team we will be better with the kickers that he has consistently beat out? Lane Johnson was a weak link Saturday because he couldn't block that German dude. Javon Harris makes costly mistakes. We have weak links everywhere in certain situations, but we put the best folks out there we have available and try to win. Jimmy is in that category just like everyone else. Our team is very strong given the sum of it's parts. Sure, it would be a shame to lose on a missed kick. But it wouldn't be a shame if an O-lineman whiffs on a block and LJ gets sacked with an open receiver in the endzone to end the game? We got the kickers we got this season and I just can't understand why people regurgitate the same drivel endlessly. Give it a break until next season when we have new players.

hawaii 5-0
9/20/2011, 10:44 AM
I'm simply saying that Jimmy is a mediocre kicker and we need to do better if we're gonna win that 8th. Let losers settle for mediocrity.

5-0

Lawton4Life
9/20/2011, 10:49 AM
How can you say we have a good kicker if we cant even begin to think about a FG attempt until we're on the 20. We have an accurate, if ugly, short ranger kicker. When you say you have a good kicker, you should mean a guy who can nail them from 40+ and every now and again make a 50 yarder for you. Jimmy tops out at 35..

Sooner_Tuf
9/20/2011, 11:14 AM
I'm simply saying that Jimmy is a mediocre kicker and we need to do better if we're gonna win that 8th. Let losers settle for mediocrity.

5-0

You keep saying you aren't willing to "settle for mediocrity". What exactly is it you are doing about it?

I'm not saying Jimmy is the best kicker that ever lived but he is far from mediocre or even average.

Sooner_Tuf
9/20/2011, 11:16 AM
How can you say we have a good kicker if we cant even begin to think about a FG attempt until we're on the 20. We have an accurate, if ugly, short ranger kicker. When you say you have a good kicker, you should mean a guy who can nail them from 40+ and every now and again make a 50 yarder for you. Jimmy tops out at 35..

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stevens_jimmy00.html

bmjlr
9/20/2011, 11:58 AM
I can no longer watch the TV when he is kicking a field goal, or extra point. I just try to wait for the crowd noise to see if he made it.

Lawton4Life
9/20/2011, 01:21 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stevens_jimmy00.html

Exactly. He's never made a kick longer than 42 yards. His long for 2009 was 39. You're telling me as bad as our O was in 2009 we didnt need to try a FG from longer than 39 yards? It got to the point where we would just go for it instead of trying to kick it.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2011, 02:30 PM

5-0

Well then number 8 will have to happen another season, we got what we got this year. Although incessant whining may somehow fix it.

papawlambert
9/20/2011, 05:32 PM
It is tough to bench a 4 yr starter, but I would be for giving Hunnicut some chances.
Papaw

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2011, 07:56 PM
It is tough to bench a 4 yr starter, but I would be for giving Hunnicut some chances.
Papaw

Bob did it last year in at least 1 game and I'm guessing we'll see Hunnicutt against Mizzou, going by the presser today. OU is all about competition.

JLMSOONER
9/20/2011, 08:10 PM
Ok. That's a wrap. So, who are we going to make fun of next week.

hawaii 5-0
9/20/2011, 08:10 PM
You keep saying you aren't willing to "settle for mediocrity". What exactly is it you are doing about it?

I'm not saying Jimmy is the best kicker that ever lived but he is far from mediocre or even average.

Since I'm not the head coach or even the special teams coach I guess I'm not doing anything about other than bringing it to this Board's attention.

Ya know, the last few seasons we had a propensity to allow opposing teams to run back kickoffs for touchdowns. Remember? We had a few good players out there and a bunch of 'special teamers'. I brought it to Bob's attention and now he's putting 1st teamers out there on every kickoff. The results so far this season has been much, much better.

Now I just need Bob to use a better kicker on FGs and PATs. I'd even settle for a long kick that was off the mark rather than a low ball that's blocked and returned for a TD. Jimmy's consistent low kicks are mediocre at best and potentially very dangerous. Collegiate kickers don't kick it low and short, simply said.
Jr. High Schoolers do that.

5-0

BeaSooner
9/20/2011, 08:16 PM
Since I'm not the head coach or even the special teams coach I guess I'm not doing anything about other than bringing it to this Board's attention.

Ya know, the last few seasons we had a propensity to allow opposing teams to run back kickoffs for touchdowns. Remember? We had a few good players out there and a bunch of 'special teamers'. I brought it to Bob's attention and now he's putting 1st teamers out there on every kickoff. The results so far this season has been much, much better.

Now I just need Bob to use a better kicker on FGs and PATs. I'd even settle for a long kick that was off the mark rather than a low ball that's blocked and returned for a TD. Jimmy's consistent low kicks are mediocre at best and potentially very dangerous. Collegiate kickers don't kick it low and short, simply said.
Jr. High Schoolers do that.

5-0

Those two words sum it up.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2011, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=hawaii 5-0;3348448]Since I'm not the head coach or even the special teams coach I guess I'm not doing anything about other than bringing it to this Board's attention.
[/QUOTE

Yes, you're rerun count is getting very high. Everything you've said, we all know and have known for 3+ seasons. So rehash away if you think it will fix things. What irks me is that you and some other posters get so dam personal about it. I'm sure Stevens is working and practicing hard and he has won the starting job. To hear remarks like "Jr high" or "give up his scholly" or the worst one "other players trying for a championship". That's so much bullsh*t - I trust Stevens wants a championship as much as any player. I guarantee there are starting players at other positions that are as far away from NFL talent as Stevens and they don't get the same bashing (nor should they). But they are working as a unit with 10 other guys on most plays, so they don't get singled out. They too are doing their best and contribute to the team or they wouldn't be starting. We can discuss strengths and weaknesses and still show a little respect.

hawaii 5-0
9/20/2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, let's all agree to fire Venables or fire Wilson constantly, but Heaven forbid we attempt to criticize a player's perceived weakness, or a potential problem hindering the Sooner's from attaining their goal of an 8th National Championship. I see a problem. You don't. Bob Stoops does. It was all over his face last Sat. We'll see.......

BTW, I never said Jimmy doesn't want to win a Championship. Don't go trying to put words on my mouth.

5-0

agoo758
9/21/2011, 01:18 AM
And when was the last time we had been in that situation with Stevens at the helm? I would attempt the field goal, but I wouldn't be feeling very good about it. Kicking game probably cost us 2 or 3 games in 09, and possibly the national championship in 08. You are deluding yourself if you think our kicking game is as good as anyone else's.

hawaii 5-0
9/21/2011, 01:25 AM
Jimmy, if you read this I want you to know I've enjoyed watching you kick for OU. You're a positive guy and have a big heart.

However, in the 3 years I've watched you, you haven't improved. Most college athletes use the coaching offered them and get better. As a kicker you should be kickin' them longer and with more accuracy. Instead, you still kick that flat short ball that's just asking to get blocked. LSU or Bama would take full advantage of your tendency to kick it low.
Please Jimmy, ask one of your kicking coaches how you can improve your kicks before a football gets stuffed right back atcha. There's still time and there's still hope. Play Like A Champion.
We're still rootin' for ya !
5-0

cleller
9/21/2011, 07:50 AM
Plus Stoops also has to consider the downside of trying a switch. What if the next guy doesn't pan out? You may have destroyed your starter, and then you're back to square one.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 10:32 AM
Jimmy, if you read this I want you to know I've enjoyed watching you kick for OU. You're a positive guy and have a big heart.

However, in the 3 years I've watched you, you haven't improved. Most college athletes use the coaching offered them and get better. As a kicker you should be kickin' them longer and with more accuracy. Instead, you still kick that flat short ball that's just asking to get blocked. LSU or Bama would take full advantage of your tendency to kick it low.
Please Jimmy, ask one of your kicking coaches how you can improve your kicks before a football gets stuffed right back atcha. There's still time and there's still hope. Play Like A Champion.
We're still rootin' for ya !
5-0

I know you are just being a smartass, but that actually sounds reasonable. We know what we have with Jimmy and 2 games into that last year of a 4 year starter we know it will not change. He has been coached and worked to level of ability. I'd suggest hypnosis or meditation or some other non-traditional thing that athletes sometimes try to get over mental blocks which I believe is his problem. I suspect he may have done things like that, but I've never read about it. But he keeps winning the starting job and that is key. It means the guys behind him are less capable, *at least in practice*, or they would be out there. Bob has tried other kickers - I think it was O'hara last year, and produced mixed results. I don't know if he has tried Hunnicutt, but from his presser yesterday, it sounds like we might see that. Coaches don't usually talk about giving back-up kickers playing time like they do other positions. If true, hopefully Hunnicutt will be better than Stevens in game situations even if he is not in practice.

If you want to level legit criticism at the right target, it's the coaches. How is it that in 4 years you haven't been able to shore up this position? If Stevens does kick well in practice (which I have Stoops comment in before), why can't you teach him to control his emotions so he can perform in games? Is he uncoachable or you lack the approach that would be effective with him? But more importantly, why hasn't the competition at that position produced a better starter? When I say we have what we have, I'm not saying it's Stevens, I'm saying it's all the kickers currently on the team.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/21/2011, 10:42 AM
Every kicker in the nation is just as accurate as Stevens from 1 yard or less on field goal attempts.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 10:49 AM
Every kicker in the nation is just as accurate as Stevens from 1 yard or less on field goal attempts.

Now there's a newsflash for you.

stoopified
9/21/2011, 11:00 AM
You are wrong, criticism breath! Go back and watch that last FG from Saturday and tell me how many other kickers could pull that off. Jimmy Stevens is the most interesting kicker in the world.And he doesn't always drink beer. When he does it is Dos Eqous(or however the hell it is spelled.

On the other hand if Jimmy hits 7 more FGs he will be our all-time fg kicker.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 11:03 AM
And he doesn't always drink beer. When he does it is Dos Eqous(or however the hell it is spelled.

Judging by that belly Jimmy is working on, I'm not so sure he doesn't always drink beer. :)

cccasooner2
9/21/2011, 01:54 PM
He kicks best when he's chewing gum. He was 100% on XPs and 4/4 on FGs during OSU game last year while chewing gum (watching the game now). :D

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2011, 01:56 PM
He kicks best when he's chewing gum. He was 100% on XPs and 4/4 on FGs during OSU game last year while chewing gum (watching the game now). :D

Get the equipment guys on that, STAT !

Lawton4Life
9/21/2011, 02:10 PM
And he doesn't always drink beer. When he does it is Dos Eqous(or however the hell it is spelled.

Kerry Collins now has more NFL Career Passing yards than Joe Montana. Who would you pick for your QB?

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2011, 02:28 PM
Kerry Collins now has more NFL Career Passing yards than Joe Montana. Who would you pick for your QB?

point! next?

papawlambert
9/21/2011, 03:37 PM
OU has no kicking coach. They maybe have somebody to come in and help from time to time. Special team coaches are not kicking coaches. Example-SMU has a new so called special teams coach. During their kicking camp he continually set the kicking tee for kickoffs backward. It upset him when he was advised of this. Would you want him working with your kickers? Ewe Von Schamann was at the OU kicking camp as well as Stoops. At least they had one person that knew what was going on.
Stoops was like Gary Patterson, Patterson said he couldn't coach a kicker, but knew talent when he saw it.
Papaw

pphilfran
10/2/2011, 06:19 AM
Well, is everybody happy with the new kicker?

Sooner70
10/2/2011, 06:56 AM
This may be off base, but I've heard from pretty reliable folks that OU simply doesn't recruit agressively on the HS front for exceptional kickers. That may or may not be reality, but it's sure odd that teams like OSU, Texas, Florida State always seem to have reliable, long range kickers in the stable. However, Stevens' HS resume does look good.

My neighbors' kid was starting QB for a ranked Texas 5A team & he tells the story that their kicker (who was darned good) really wanted a chance to attend OU. Various schools tried him out, and he did go to Norman, but no offer. He's doing well at another school these days. Don't know particulars, but just seems OU doesn't put a lot of emphasis on that aspect of the game.

soonersponge
10/2/2011, 08:40 AM
This may be off base, but I've heard from pretty reliable folks that OU simply doesn't recruit agressively on the HS front for exceptional kickers. That may or may not be reality, but it's sure odd that teams like OSU, Texas, Florida State always seem to have reliable, long range kickers in the stable. However, Stevens' HS resume does look good.

My neighbors' kid was starting QB for a ranked Texas 5A team & he tells the story that their kicker (who was darned good) really wanted a chance to attend OU. Various schools tried him out, and he did go to Norman, but no offer. He's doing well at another school these days. Don't know particulars, but just seems OU doesn't put a lot of emphasis on that aspect of the game.

That is not true. They go after the best they can get. Normally, if you have a good kicker on campus, you won't recruit another one to come until the current players senior year so he can get there and redshirt and be ready to take over the following year. It could have been that it was not a year to recruit one, or, they did not think he was as good as other schools did.

sooner518
10/2/2011, 08:55 AM
Well, is everybody happy with the new kicker?
happier than if Jimmy was still kicking. I know Hunnicutt missed thta 30 yarder last night, but his kicks actually look like they have no chance of getting blocked.

SoonerMom2
10/2/2011, 08:56 AM
It is a great sight to see the ball go high over the goal post in extra points. I am a lot happier with the new kicker then I ever was with Stevens.

soonersponge
10/2/2011, 09:07 AM
There is not a space in the box score that mentions how pretty a kick is. Good, or no good is all that matters.

papawlambert
10/2/2011, 10:03 AM
Well,
I have known and seen Hunnicutt for 3 years. I thought he needed a chance and am glad to see him get it.
Papaw

sooner518
10/2/2011, 10:07 AM
There is not a space in the box score that mentions how pretty a kick is. Good, or no good is all that matters.

theres also no space in the box score that mentions how many times we've gone for it on 4th down just outside the redzone because our kicker has absolutely no shot at making a 40 yard FG

soonersponge
10/2/2011, 10:09 AM
theres also no space in the box score that mentions how many times we've gone for it on 4th down just outside the redzone because our kicker has absolutely no shot at making a 40 yard FG

I don't recall more than a handful of these. Even a good kicker misses from over 45 regularly.

hawaii 5-0
10/2/2011, 11:02 AM
Those low kicks we'd been seeing were just a block/return waiting to happen. Anyone in the pros kick a low ball? Didn't think so.

Low and short didn't cut it.

5-0

soonersponge
10/2/2011, 11:03 AM
Those low kicks we'd been seeing were just a block/return waiting to happen. Anyone in the pros kick a low ball? Didn't think so.

Low and short didn't cut it.

5-0

It did against FSU. Plus, he will be back when his quad is healthy and starting.

hawaii 5-0
10/2/2011, 11:08 AM
Me thinks it just might have been a little more than an injured quad.

5-0