PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV Shows

lexsooner
9/19/2011, 07:50 AM
Pawn Stars is my favorite. The items brought in and their history and value are quite interesting. The characters are funny and likeable. The old man grosses me out, though.

Storage Wars: I can tolerate it in doses because sometimes they find and have interesting items appraised. However, the cast of characters is not very appealing. The older guy is colorful, but they are mostly a bunch of no class hustlers.

House Hunters. With the demise of house flipping shows after the housing bust, these shows are the replacement. The only thing I cannot figure out is how those attractive young couples can afford those expensive homes, especially the ones overseas. A lot of them are looking for a "vacation home" or places to spend the summer or winter. It must be inherited money - none of them seem to be very busy with careers.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 08:00 AM
Love House Hunters. Especially the international one. I wish they did more european locales, though. Seems like it's half in the caribbean, the other half a mish mash of other places around the world.

Watched a good one last night amidst all the football. Anyone seen All American Handyman on HGTV?

lexsooner
9/19/2011, 09:06 AM
Love House Hunters. Especially the international one. I wish they did more european locales, though. Seems like it's half in the caribbean, the other half a mish mash of other places around the world.

Watched a good one last night amidst all the football. Anyone seen All American Handyman on HGTV?

I've never seen AA Handyman. International House Hunters does seem to focus on Caribbean locations. I'd like to see follow-ups on some of their buyers to see if they are happy with their choices.

GDC
9/19/2011, 02:15 PM
We had Jersey Shore Day at work today, that was not a good idea.

OhU1
9/19/2011, 02:54 PM
House Hunters is always on; it must have its own channel or something. Good show. I've learned that you can sell a small dumpy P.O.S. property for a highly inflated price to a 25 year old couple so long as you can see a beach in the distance or a trendy bar or coffee shop is nearby.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 04:01 PM
Oh, look at the view! I didn't even notice the rats!

Soonerfan88
9/19/2011, 04:02 PM
Watched AA Handyman last night. I really like Mike Holmes.

Although I like Pawn Stars because of the merchandise brought in, I get my trashy tv fix watching Hardcore Pawn. It's on TruTV and set in Detroit.

http://www.trutv.com/shows/hardcore-pawn/index.html

Viking Kitten
9/19/2011, 05:15 PM
The family on Hardcore Pawn is so annoying it renders the show unwatchable for me. Especially the sister who manages the jewelry department. Her voice is enough to make me want to throw a chair at the TV.

I like "Income Property" on HGTV a lot. Anyone catch the new one, "Donna Decorates Dallas"? It's so bad and the decorating is just tacky and awful... proof that money does not buy good taste.

the_ouskull
9/19/2011, 07:03 PM
Even better is NOT reality television. Like, seriously, anything. I'd rather watch the 1995 OU/OSU game on an endless loop than even catch glimpses of Jersey Shore. It sickens me that my students watch that show and care more about what those f*cking idiots say than what they're supposed to be learning in school.

...and I'm not JUST blaming the kids, 'cause their parents are just as f*ckt*rded for allowing the whole ordeal, and for not making their kids act like, you know... kids...

the_ouskull

lexsooner
9/19/2011, 07:11 PM
The family on Hardcore Pawn is so annoying it renders the show unwatchable for me. Especially the sister who manages the jewelry department. Her voice is enough to make me want to throw a chair at the TV.

I have the same problem with the hustlers on Storage Wars. The only one I like is the older eccentric guy who brings his weird friends to bid. The rest have no class - that young couple, the big guy with tats, the middle aged guy who wears black. They bicker and bad mouth each other and have the foulest mouths, and when they bid, they yell, "Yeaaaap!" So annoying. I can only take the show in doses. Worst of all, when they have something appraised and find out it is valuable, they act all giddy because they will make a buck and they have no appreciation or interest in the history of the item. Except for the older guy, those characters are pretty much trash. What I like about Pawn Stars is the Harrisons are knowledgeable about items and are genuinely interested in them.

reflector
9/19/2011, 07:19 PM
I really like The Ultimate Fighter. I would say that is my favorite Reality TV show. I am excited for the new season to begin.

A Sooner in Texas
9/19/2011, 08:16 PM
Love House Hunters International, and also Selling New York. How in the holy hell people can afford the real estate there, I'll never understand. Must all be hedge fund managers.

lexsooner
9/19/2011, 08:36 PM
Love House Hunters International, and also Selling New York. How in the holy hell people can afford the real estate there, I'll never understand. Must all be hedge fund managers.

- or the million dollar villas in prime Carribean locations. And the buyers are so young. It has to be inherited money. These buyers talk about spending long stretches at their vacation home - not the sign of someone with a busy, high-earning career. One woman, this really tall, blonde, full-figured woman, bought this expensive home for herself in some Carribean island. They never said she had any job. My guess is she is some rich guy's play thing and he financed it for her.

Partial Qualifier
9/19/2011, 09:25 PM
regarding Storage Wars: I like the eccentric guy too - he's hilarious - but the young couple I can watch because I want to **** the everloving **** out of that dude's wife

I'm still liking Mantracker

How It's Made is my son's favorite show and I have to admit, I get sucked into that show no matter what.. unless it's a rerun

the-rover
9/20/2011, 01:26 AM
HHI is definitley best when it's in Europe.

Pawn stars is good when nothing else is on..... "I know someone who's an expert on these things, let me have him check it out for us". And then pretty much wants to steal it from the seller.

American Pickers is good too....those guys are practically thieves.

lexsooner
9/20/2011, 07:45 AM
regarding Storage Wars: I like the eccentric guy too - he's hilarious - but the young couple I can watch because I want to **** the everloving **** out of that dude's wife

Yeah, she's definitely cute, but unfortunately, like most of the rest of them, she has no class - petty, dirty mouth, no appreciation of anything about the items except money. I am with you on this one, as long as it was not an ongoing relationship.

SoonerfaninIA
9/20/2011, 08:24 AM
1. The Ultimate Fighter- Very excited to see the new season!
2. Top Gear- I like the US version
3. Bar Rescue- I just like Jon Taffer

reflector
9/20/2011, 08:55 AM
1. The Ultimate Fighter- Very excited to see the new season!
2. Top Gear- I like the US version
3. Bar Rescue- I just like Jon Taffer

I really like Bar Rescue and Auction Hunters as well.

ouleaf
9/20/2011, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Fighter, Deadliest Catch, and Top Chef are my favs, although I guess Top Chef falls more into the Reality Competition genre.

Also enjoy Storage Wars and all the characters on the show. I like that the old guy Barry is really more in it as a collector. Think the auctioneer guy and his wife are great at what they do. And yes, Brandi is very nice on the eyes too.