PDA

View Full Version : The flashing Scoreboard at FSU

LASooner
9/19/2011, 04:08 AM
I know I wasn't the only one who noticed that FSU had a digital sign in the endzone tunnels that would strobe right into the eyes of the opposing team when we had the ball. How is that legal? I can understand the scoreboard above the stadium, but it's pretty bush league to strobe light into the eyes of the opposing team. How is that any different than cowbells or piping crowd noise over the PA system?

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 05:11 AM
Wow that is pretty bad. We should have unplugged it or have Landry toss a few practice balls at it.

jumperstop
9/19/2011, 06:51 AM
I was calling it the seizure machine...a waste of a good video board. I had to keep turning around to look at the other one.

SunnySooner
9/19/2011, 07:19 AM
Yep, I noticed it too, HIGHLY annoying, and I also couldn't believe they were flashing it during the snap. Both of their boards were high value suckitude, they need to invest some coin and update those suckers, the "big" one was way too small, it didn't give the down, the ball position, neither board showed remaining time outs, etc. etc. etc.

I mean, this ain't UCF, it's mighty FSU, they should be able to do a bit better, and the flashing crap just smacks of aggy. Then again, it is Florida "State". :D ;)

p.s. I also thought it interesting the same board was flashing messages begging dollars for an indoor practice facility to attract "elite" athletes. True, in FL, you don't need it for the cold, but it surprised me they didn't have one.

GottaHavePride
9/19/2011, 08:11 AM
Yep, I noticed it too, HIGHLY annoying, and I also couldn't believe they were flashing it during the snap. Both of their boards were high value suckitude, they need to invest some coin and update those suckers, the "big" one was way too small, it didn't give the down, the ball position, neither board showed remaining time outs, etc. etc. etc.

I mean, this ain't UCF, it's mighty FSU, they should be able to do a bit better, and the flashing crap just smacks of aggy. Then again, it is Florida "State". :D ;)

p.s. I also thought it interesting the same board was flashing messages begging dollars for an indoor practice facility to attract "elite" athletes. True, in FL, you don't need it for the cold, but it surprised me they didn't have one.

They should just get an inflatable one like Texas has. I think HAsbro sells them. Check the catalog for "My First Indoor Practice Facility".

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2011, 08:39 AM
the "big" one was way too small, it didn't give the down, the ball position, neither board showed remaining time outs, etc. etc. etc.

?

It didn't when it was in seizure-bot mode, but at all other times it did.

The time-outs were represented by dots under the helmets. Down, distance, and field position were right above them.

SunnySooner
9/19/2011, 11:05 AM
?

It didn't when it was in seizure-bot mode, but at all other times it did.

The time-outs were represented by dots under the helmets. Down, distance, and field position were right above them.

I guess it was too small for me to make out from the other end of the stadium, I had to turn around and look at the one behind me for all that info. We were as far from it as you could get and still be in the stadium.

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2011, 11:27 AM
I guess it was too small for me to make out from the other end of the stadium, I had to turn around and look at the one behind me for all that info. We were as far from it as you could get and still be in the stadium.

I was right there with you, sitting next to Phil. But yeah, I was doing the same thing until I finally figured out where they put that stuff on the big board.

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 11:31 AM
You say on video board would do it at a time, is it always the one in the endzone the opposing team was going? Im talking video board, not the ones right behind the goalposts.

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2011, 11:39 AM
The video board that was flashing was the main scoreboard. I didn't notice any others flashing, but I guess other people saw stuff flashing down near the field.

SunnySooner
9/19/2011, 11:41 AM
It would be the big board in the North end zone, and then they had small rectangular screens on the sides of the field that would flash as well.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 11:43 AM
So did you guys end up having a lost sense of time? Mysteriously found yourselves with bags full of FSU merchandise?

No longer felt the need to smoke cigarettes?

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2011, 01:22 PM
Wasn't that the end we scored both our TDs?

or not?

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2011, 01:47 PM
Nope. Other side.

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks, hard to determine from TV broadcast.

colleyvillesooner
9/19/2011, 02:44 PM
Here's the video from my seat:

http://twitvid.com/5PROO

I count 4 just in that shot, including the one that would be in direct line of sight for Landry. Bush league.

I just noticed this too...If you look real close, it continues until the ball is caught, then it switches back to normal mode.

Sooner24
9/19/2011, 04:53 PM
That video doesn't do justice to how bad the flashing really was. And they need to turn the volume up on the music during the pregame warmup. There was one time we could actually hear each other talk.

Soonerfan88
9/19/2011, 05:36 PM
Surely OU had to file a complaint about that? If FSU wants to regain a place at the big table, maybe they should quit acting so childish.