PDA

View Full Version : The new ads you have running SUCK MUCH ***.

brainpimp
9/18/2011, 11:55 PM
Jesus, I understand the need for ads for your sight but the loud screaming on the autoplay sucks and makes this sight much less desirable.

Blue
9/18/2011, 11:57 PM
Jesus, I understand the need for ads for your sight but the loud screaming on the autoplay sucks and makes this sight much less desirable.

Start posting N00b. 5,000 will get ya ad free. Just make them high quality will ya? We got standards.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 11:58 PM
Start posting N00b. 5,000 will get ya ad free. Just make them high quality will ya? We got standards.

Bawhahahah!

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2011, 12:11 AM
Firefox plus AdBlock is a nice thing

yermom
9/19/2011, 12:59 AM
yeah, it's web "sight" not web sound

SoonerFanatic
9/19/2011, 01:04 AM
I thought the same thing......at least give us a way to mute the ad!

JP

iknowyoudidnt
9/19/2011, 01:10 AM
Chrome supports flashblock and adblock as well.

I understand the need to monetize a site like this. The hard work by the owners at the very least shouldn't cost them money, and if they can even make a few bucks, that's great.

But, the usability with this implementation is so bad, it's really difficult to use the site without blocking the ads. I do allow them now and then and click through to help out, though.

yermom
9/19/2011, 01:38 AM
I thought the same thing......at least give us a way to mute the ad!

JP

i was making fun. apparently pimps have trouble spelling, historically

yankee
9/19/2011, 01:47 AM
Chrome supports flashblock and adblock as well.

I have Chrome, how do I do that? These ads and new layout are the reasons I don't post as much as I used to. It's just one massive headache.

iknowyoudidnt
9/19/2011, 02:00 AM
I have Chrome, how do I do that? These ads and new layout are the reasons I don't post as much as I used to. It's just one massive headache.
http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome -> Install AdBlock Plus

Once it's installed, go to window -> extensions. You're looking for your AdBlock preferences. Click on the tab that says "add your own filters" and enter the following:

api.affinesystems.com
common.digitalsportsventures.com
player.athletixnation.com

iknowyoudidnt
9/19/2011, 02:02 AM
Flashblock isn't necessary for this site. I like to use it since it makes most pages load faster, but you have to whitelist certain things (like YouTube) unless you want to manually allow them to load. I like it that way, others may not.

If you're going to block the ads, throw the guys that run the site a bone and unblock them once a day and click a few.

LASooner
9/19/2011, 04:14 AM

That's what I don't get, I have spek out the a$$, but I don't post that much. shouldn't quality count more than quantity?

I don't post much, but when I do it's Dos Equis!

I've only been a member of this site for 10+ years. :jaded:

WA. Sooner
9/19/2011, 04:20 AM
Make it time here instead of post count

Phil
9/19/2011, 06:42 AM
Guys, those aren't supposed to play with sound. Let me know which ads are doing that and I'll have them removed.

badger
9/19/2011, 07:26 AM
The UFC one

SoonerPride
9/19/2011, 07:38 AM
The sure fire way to mute the ads is to turn off your speakers.

GottaHavePride
9/19/2011, 07:51 AM
The sure fire way to mute the ads is to turn off your speakers.

This. Although they do eat up the bandwidth when they auto-load. A blocker extension might be better.

badger
9/19/2011, 08:09 AM
I have tried X'ing and un-X'ing the "kill the ads" feature for 5000k posters many times and the video player still shows up on mine. Believe me, if I could get rid of it I would. It has made me too angry to ever want to use it, even if it promises to play nothing but Sooner and Packer highlights. NEVER GONNA USE IT

cleller
9/19/2011, 08:22 AM
I couldn't believe I was actually seeing an ad for feminine hygiene products on here. Whatever pays the bills. After trying to look at FSU's Warchant, and realizing you have to pay to read, its not so bad.

MsProudSooner
9/19/2011, 08:29 AM
I use Firefox on my home laptop and have no problems w/ the Ads. My work laptop only uses IE XP. What are my options for blocking these ads?

MsProudSooner
9/19/2011, 08:57 AM
http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome -> Install AdBlock Plus

Once it's installed, go to window -> extensions. You're looking for your AdBlock preferences. Click on the tab that says "add your own filters" and enter the following:

api.affinesystems.com
common.digitalsportsventures.com
player.athletixnation.com

I added these sites as Restrticted sites on my IE XP Security settings. I'm still seeing the ads. :-(

Sooner Among The Pack
9/19/2011, 09:13 AM
Guys, those aren't supposed to play with sound. Let me know which ads are doing that and I'll have them removed.

Unfortunately for me, every page and new thread I click on auto plays with sound. Has been doing this for 1 week+. Using Chrome with AdBlock, but since every new thread I click on is a new page, it doesn't do much good.

Phil
9/19/2011, 09:21 AM
OK. I'm going to try something else. If you are unregistered or registered but have never posted, you will see the big video ad, just like it is now, plus the one on the bottom and the one on the right. If you have ever posted, you shouldn't see the big video box on the top anymore. You will just see a regular banner ad up top, one on the very bottom, and the one on the right. If you have more than 5000 posts, you should see only the one on the right. We'll see how that works.

Sooner Among The Pack
9/19/2011, 09:23 AM
OK. I'm going to try something else. If you are unregistered or registered but have never posted, you will see the big video ad, just like it is now, plus the one on the bottom and the one on the right. If you have ever posted, you shouldn't see the big video box on the top anymore. You will just see a regular banner ad up top, one on the very bottom, and the one on the right. If you have more than 5000 posts, you should see only the one on the right. We'll see how that works.

Sounds awesome, thanks Phil!

SoonerMom2
9/19/2011, 09:26 AM
AWESOME! I just turned my sound down so I wouldn't hear it but this is better! Good Job!

Phil
9/19/2011, 09:34 AM
Actually, I think I'll adjust it to people having to have at least 100 posts to miss the big ad. I want to limit it to people who actually are participating on the board, not just making one post to avoid the ads.

BB37
9/19/2011, 09:37 AM
Most of the ads I don't have a problem with, but THE UFC AD COMES ON WITH FULL VOLUME AUDIO, and I have to click the Mute link X 2 to shut it up. Fix that, and I'm good.

Wishboned
9/19/2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks Phil!

Fiatil
9/19/2011, 09:51 AM
Small problem now: When I'm logged out I see the big video board TWICE at the top of the page, but logged in it's gone, so hooray.

Phil
9/19/2011, 09:59 AM
I was messing with the settings - shouldn't see that now.

Small problem now: When I'm logged out I see the big video board TWICE at the top of the page, but logged in it's gone, so hooray.

OUinFLA
9/19/2011, 10:03 AM
Phil, I don't mind clicking the ads if it makes you some $.
My question is, does it help if I just click an ad and them close it?
Or do I have to browse around the ad for you to get revenue?

Phil
9/19/2011, 10:10 AM
The click is what gets counted. You don't have to linger, as far as I know, although we'd like you to patronize our advertisers if there's something there that interests you. Don't click just to click - click if you're interested in what's being advertised.

Phil, I don't mind clicking the ads if it makes you some $.
My question is, does it help if I just click an ad and them close it?
Or do I have to browse around the ad for you to get revenue?

achiro
9/19/2011, 10:23 AM
OK. I'm going to try something else. If you are unregistered or registered but have never posted, you will see the big video ad, just like it is now, plus the one on the bottom and the one on the right.
Thank you! This should really help keep the noobs away. We don't need any new folks around here screwing up our way of doing things.

badger
9/19/2011, 10:32 AM

http://i56.tinypic.com/xfz1bq.png

Seriously, thank you. I was very close to calling it quits on a few extremely frustrating nights of hell. :(

Phil
9/19/2011, 10:57 AM
I really don't get why everyone has been so wired up about that video box. I've been viewing the board with it the whole time, and it really didn't bother me. That said, we've made adjustments.

achiro
9/19/2011, 10:59 AM
I really don't get why everyone has been so wired up about that video box. I've been viewing the board with it the whole time, and it really didn't bother me. That said, we've made adjustments.
Your computer and internet connection must not be from 1973.;)

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 05:54 PM
The UPS ad just about made me crap my drawers. No sound, then some lady talking about a restaurant and somehow tied into UPS.

BudSooner
9/19/2011, 06:05 PM
I really don't get why everyone has been so wired up about that video box. I've been viewing the board with it the whole time, and it really didn't bother me. That said, we've made adjustments.You da man boss, you da man!

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you much !

GDC
9/19/2011, 07:03 PM
:mad:CLICK SOME DAMN ADS:mad:

olevetonahill
9/19/2011, 07:11 PM
I've never had a Prob with the ads

btb916
9/19/2011, 07:24 PM
I WANT MY BELT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soonerfan88
9/19/2011, 07:25 PM
I never had a problem with the videos on top. Can't address the ads because of Firefox and Adblock Plus.

iknowyoudidnt
9/19/2011, 07:36 PM

brainpimp
9/19/2011, 11:49 PM
It wasn't the ad itself. It was the screaming loud noise the disturbed my whole family while I was trying to catch up on OU goings on after being away for a whole week.

yankee
9/20/2011, 12:02 AM

No offense, but the video box was potentially the worst idea in the history of history. Thank you for listening to the posters, much appreciated. The pages load up faster for me and it's just less bulky.

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2011, 12:10 AM
The UFC ones during the FSU game were ridiculously jarring. Seriously anyone who creates flash ads w/ audio needs to die in a fire. I do wish you'd lower the post count from 5k though, I'm not sure I'll hit that number in the next 5 years even though I tend to visit this site several times a day during football season.

MamaMia
9/20/2011, 12:55 AM
I really don't get why everyone has been so wired up about that video box. I've been viewing the board with it the whole time, and it really didn't bother me. That said, we've made adjustments.Not having the big ad at the top and the ads that were inside the posts is a huge help.

LASooner
9/20/2011, 02:20 AM
Thanks a bunch Phil, I'll even make a point to click on the ads every day or two, the video thing was just really in the way, I can deal with banner ads.

Phil
9/20/2011, 07:24 AM
You shouldn't be seeing the video anymore. Anyone with more than 100 posts gets the banner ad up top instead of the video.

The UFC ones during the FSU game were ridiculously jarring. Seriously anyone who creates flash ads w/ audio needs to die in a fire. I do wish you'd lower the post count from 5k though, I'm not sure I'll hit that number in the next 5 years even though I tend to visit this site several times a day during football season.