PDA

View Full Version : What About the Pokes D?

SoonerofAlabama
9/18/2011, 10:12 PM
Looks awful so far.

Gave up 34 against Sun Belt Louisiana-Lafayette, 14 to Awful Arizona, and 33 to Kinne-less Tulsa. They've given up tons of yardage in these games as well. Obviously their offense can score, but what do you think about their D?

Also, Weeden has thrown 6 INTs this year. Just saying.

kevpks
9/18/2011, 10:34 PM
Their fans are mad because the Tulsa World gave them an F for their defensive performance last night. They are calling it bias because apparently the Tulsa World favors TU. I'm sure that's it. It had nothing to do with the 384 yards rushing.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 11:52 PM
I saw the Tulsa game in person. Their defense is horrible still.

picasso
9/19/2011, 12:00 AM
They would have given up 40+ last night at FSU.

sooneredaco
9/19/2011, 12:13 AM
At least 40.... They gave up over 30 to Tulsa

Memtig14
9/19/2011, 12:15 AM
I haven't see them play, but you have to discount a lot of those yards and points that occur after they get a large lead.

CrimsonRez
9/19/2011, 12:51 AM
^ the game has 4 quarters lebron james....

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 01:11 AM
They stacked the box against Tulsa after the cheapshot on Kinne sidelined him and they knew Tulsa wouldn't be passing. Tulsa still RAN for about 400 yards on them. I think the box score shows 365 but they had some negative plays. I wasn't paying that much attention but I know I saw TD runs of 80 and 40+ yards.

SCSooner71
9/19/2011, 02:01 AM
Their D sucks.

SoonerKnight
9/19/2011, 03:01 AM
Yes, their D is back to the OSU of old! They will lose at least 4 games this year if not more! They will lose to A&M, Saxet, OU, Missouri and possible Tech!

thecrimsoncrusader
9/19/2011, 05:06 AM
Neah, they will still beat Texas in Austin. Texas sucks literally and figuratively.

SoonerDan1
9/19/2011, 07:23 AM
I haven't see them play, but you have to discount a lot of those yards and points that occur after they get a large lead.

Those yards were gained throughout the game and the aggots had their starters in late in the 4th on BOTH offense and defense

SoonerPride
9/19/2011, 07:42 AM
osu has never had a good defense. They have had lots of good offenses over the years but defense wins championships and how many conference/national titles does osu have?

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2011, 07:47 AM
we'll see this weekend what they're made of - a&m's offense is pretty good/loaded

GottaHavePride
9/19/2011, 08:01 AM
Less a factor than "the yards happened after they had a big lead" is "the yards happened after 2:00 am". Seriously, that time of day I'm impressed anyone could remember which direction to run, let alone their blitz packages. I'm not going to read too much into ANYTHING that happened at that game.

picasso
9/19/2011, 08:06 AM
Less a factor than "the yards happened after they had a big lead" is "the yards happened after 2:00 am". Seriously, that time of day I'm impressed anyone could remember which direction to run, let alone their blitz packages. I'm not going to read too much into ANYTHING that happened at that game.
Good point. But the late night apparently had little effect on the offenses. I'm gonna chalk this up to oSu would have given up tons more of yardage had Kinne not been injured.

badger
9/19/2011, 08:08 AM
As mentioned in another thread, the co-defensive coordinator's wife died late Saturday or early Sunday. In addition to the after-midnight start time and playing till 3:35 a.m., I think this is reason enough to cut the OSU D a little slack.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 08:12 AM
we'll see this weekend what they're made of - a&m's offense is pretty good/loaded

Exactly, this will be an interesting thread next week.

MsProudSooner
9/19/2011, 08:17 AM

That is an awful thing to deal with, but it is somewhat countered by the fact that OSU's D knocked TU's starting quarterback out with a late hit early in the game.

rainiersooner
9/19/2011, 08:24 AM
osu has never had a good defense. They have had lots of good offenses over the years but defense wins championships and how many conference/national titles does osu have?

In wrestling and golf? Or football? Because in wrestling and golf...way more than can keep track of. Way more. Like, big time champions. Didn't you know?

SoonerNutt
9/20/2011, 10:02 AM

Excuses a plenty. I guess TU's guys didn't have to deal with the late start?

First off, they got the win, so congrats. That's all that really matters at the end of the day. But, don't make excuses for giving up almost 4 bills on the ground to a conference USA team without it's star QB. That is a sign of trouble, regardless of what the score was or what time the kickoff was. If they don't get that fixed, they are in trouble in conference play. Every team in the B12South (other than maybe Tech) has the capability to embarass that aggy defense if they continue to play that way.

Sooner_Tuf
9/20/2011, 10:20 AM
In wrestling and golf? Or football? Because in wrestling and golf...way more than can keep track of. Way more. Like, big time champions. Didn't you know?

Cross Country, don't forget Cross Country! You get really good at Cross Country when people keep taking you out in the country and leaving you.

pphilfran
9/20/2011, 10:23 AM
What D?

SoonerOX
9/20/2011, 11:34 AM
That defense is a joke as far as I can tell. Should have a field day with them.

Landthief 1972
9/20/2011, 11:50 AM
There's a serious case of denial in the comments of a Berry Trammel story calling on OSU to step up against A&M to make up for their poor D against Tulsa.

"OU gave up 400 yards to Tulsa!"
Yes, with their starting quarterback.

"OU nearly lost against FSU's backup QB!"
He had 135 passing yards, nearly half on one play, and was sacked 4 times. FSU stayed in the game thanks to 2 great goalline stands by their D.

"OU had all summer to prep for Tulsa and gave up all those yards!"
OSU had all summer to prep for LL and gave up over 300 yards and 33 points, plus 99 yards on Weeden INTs.

"400 yards to Tulsa!"
Only 14 points scored. How many points does Tulsa get for yardage that doesn't lead to a TD or FG? Are we playing fantasy football now?

"STOOPID GOONERS!!!"
That's what I thought.

oumartin
9/20/2011, 11:57 AM
this weekend we'll see if OSU is any good.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2011, 12:00 PM
Why is it any different than when we've played aggie in the past?

Their defense is a joke with maybe one or two quality players at best. It's scoring a brazillion that wins them ballgames.

Booner
9/20/2011, 03:23 PM
I noticed from the play-by-play on ESPN that Weeden was still throwing passes around the middle of the 4th quarter. Sounds like someone was trying to impress people who were already sleeping and wouldn't bother to read the boxscore.

badger
9/20/2011, 03:27 PM
I noticed from the play-by-play on ESPN that Weeden was still throwing passes around the middle of the 4th quarter. Sounds like someone was trying to impress people who were already sleeping and wouldn't bother to read the boxscore.

Old guys wake up early in the morning. He was the only QB that wasn't dozing at 3 a.m. :P

CowboyMRW
9/20/2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not worried. LaLa was the first game and our D gave up 20 which wasn't good but it didn't raise any flags to me.

Arizona looked good to me. Our D shut them out in the first half, only have up 14 the whole game and gave up less than 50 yards rushing. 400 yards passing but again only 14 points so I'm not upset.

Tulsa was a weird game for both teams and our D looked good in the 1st half. It really appeared that we lost interest once up 45-6 even though we had our starters in, I just really feel like they weren't giving everything for whatever reason it was.

So maybe I should be concerned but I'm not that worried. They've done their part the first 3 games. Much more will be required Saturday however and that is when I will truly be able to make my assessment of them

Bourbon St Sooner
9/20/2011, 06:14 PM
this weekend we'll see if OSU is any good.

This. People can scrutinize stats from games against East Popcorn State all they want. We'll see what they've got when they start playing big boy football.

BoomerJ
9/20/2011, 10:15 PM
This. People can scrutinize stats from games against East Popcorn State all they want. We'll see what they've got when they start playing big boy [/B[B]]football.
Pat Jones...is that you?