PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought...

8timechamps
9/18/2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe I'm pulling this out of my ***, or maybe I'm just overly optimistic...or maybe, just maybe, there's some truth in it.

Bob was in a tough position, and even said so himself. He loves OU and wants another title. He also loves his brother, and wants the best for him (this is all based on things I've read, and heard him talk about in his press conferences).

So, didn't he end up with just about the best possible outcome last night? I'm sure many people felt the same way I did about the conservative nature of the offensive play-calling last night. We didn't go down field as much as we're used to. A lot of emphasis on the run. On the flip side, our defense pretty much dictated the tempo of the game. Even when the score was tied, I just never felt like the outcome was in doubt (really, I just felt like when we needed to move the ball, we could...or needed a stop, we'd get one).

My theory is that Bob & staff did what they needed to do to get the win, on the road, in a hostile environment, without embarrassing his brother.

Don't get me wrong, I am not taking anything away from FSU, or the effort they showed. I'm not saying HCBS could have "named his score", I'm just saying I think the overall emphasis in the game was to win in the safest possible way, without showing up Mark.

Maybe I'm crazy. But, I'll choose to believe my theory.

lasooner123
9/18/2011, 09:29 PM
if that was true then bob deserves to be fired haha

oumartin
9/18/2011, 09:30 PM
Wrong, Bob woulda won that game 50-0 if possible. Sure he woulda felt bad afterward but still.

SoonerOX
9/18/2011, 09:31 PM
Not sure about this, but I suppose it is a valid point.

8timechamps
9/18/2011, 09:32 PM
Wrong, Bob woulda won that game 50-0 if possible. Sure he woulda felt bad afterward but still.

So you think we played (offensively) as aggressive as we could?

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 09:35 PM

Exactly! Landry Jones had to repeat the play five or six times as the lineman couldn't hear with the all the noise so they couldn't really run the hurry-up so they adjusted to what they could get. Stoops may love his brother but nothing is coming between him and a big WIN. Not going to happen. Once he gets on the field he wants to win against his brother -- he didn't slow down last year.

oumartin
OU played like they always play on the road. pretty conservative. has nothing to do with who was on the other sideline.

The fact they let landry open it up says alot about Bob and his staff realizing their ultra conservative approach on the road wasn't working. they started opening it up more at OSU and it's continued but you can see they still wanna be more conservative.

kevpks
So you think we played (offensively) as aggressive as we could?

I think we played as aggressively as we could given the circumstances. We leaned on a dominant defense and went vanilla to minimize our turnover risk.

Peach Fuzz
I think we had a high school play calling night. Not that that is a bad thing because it worked, but I do agree we had a conservative offense and I was surprised with the, I guess you could call it 'lack of imagination'.

Ground_Attack
I think its very difficult to play aggressively in that kind of road environment. You don't want to make the horrible mistakes, thus the more conservative game plan. It can be done, but I don't think that was the preference.

hawaii 5-0
9/18/2011, 09:37 PM
I was worried when they tied it in the 4th. I sure didn't want to get into a field goal kicking contest with them in overtime.

The game needed (and was) decided in regulation.

5-0

8timechamps
OU played like they always play on the road. pretty conservative. has nothing to do with who was on the other sideline.

The fact they let landry open it up says alot about Bob and his staff realizing their ultra conservative approach on the road wasn't working. they started opening it up more at OSU and it's continued but you can see they still wanna be more conservative.

Okay, I can see that point.

But, it's not as fun as my theory. See, in my theory, we're even better than we are in your theory. So, I win. :)

Peach Fuzz
That's basically what it came down to.

8timechamps
9/18/2011, 09:39 PM
That's basically what it came down to....EXACTLY like 8timechamps said it!

Thanks Peach Fuzz!

SunnySooner
9/18/2011, 09:53 PM
Most of the OU fans were seated above the tunnel the players and coaches entered/exited from, and after the game, we were almost all still there, the band was still playing, we were still hollering, etc. The players had already gone in, after stopping and waving at all of us, to which we yelled and hollered even louder. They really seemed to appreciate the fact that so many OU fans had made the trip to support them in such a big game.

Anyway, finally Bob came over to go in the tunnel, and it was almost like the Tech game where he went over and bowed to the student section--he was waving at all of us, fist pumping, arms in the air, you could tell he was just over the moon about this win. He looked like a little kid with a new toy down there, it was great. He wanted this win, big time. I don't think he tried to do anything but beat the living hell out of Free Shoes, if we could've hung half a hunnerd, we would have, and he knows his brother would have understood perfectly.

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 12:14 AM
I was worried when they tied it in the 4th. I sure didn't want to get into a field goal kicking contest with them in overtime.

I'll second that.