PDA

View Full Version : PAC-12 Talks Heating Up

oumaddawg
9/18/2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/09/18/official_potent.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

Very interesting.

Land Run Sports
9/18/2011, 08:11 PM
Forget the PAC-12, I'd rather see OU compete in the BIG TEN. Am I the only one that feels this way?

85sooners
9/18/2011, 08:14 PM
yes

King Barry's Back
9/18/2011, 08:17 PM
From the Statesman "Nothing has been accepted or approved, yet, but the deal would allow the Longhorns to keep the Longhorn Network.
Texas, though, would have to add Pac-12 (soon to be 16) content to the LHN programming."

People are acting like TX and ESPN are being to forced to accept this as some kind of concession, but isn't adding conference programming going to be good for the network? Who can watch TX stuff 24/7?

At the very least, it's going to broaden the interest in LHN. I mean, if they put up some OU programming, even I myself would be tempted to tune in.

Land Run Sports
9/18/2011, 09:57 PM
yes
I see your point ...since the teams in the PAC -12 are so exciting. Give me a break, the PAC - 12 sucks.

BASSooner
9/18/2011, 10:12 PM
I see your point ...since the teams in the PAC -12 are so exciting. Give me a break, the PAC - 12 sucks.
Look past this point. Lateral move competitively, TONS of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thus an upgrade. More than what the SEC could offer. More exposure to Cali whereas the SEC, OUr exposure in Florida doesn't change. Louisiana...MAYBE a tad more but we'd have to fight the ags and the tigers for it.

From a LONG-TERM perspective. Pac12 is a much better deal by a long shot.

Land Run Sports
9/18/2011, 10:41 PM
Look past this point. Lateral move competitively, TONS of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thus an upgrade. More than what the SEC could offer. More exposure to Cali whereas the SEC, OUr exposure in Florida doesn't change. Louisiana...MAYBE a tad more but we'd have to fight the ags and the tigers for it.

From a LONG-TERM perspective. Pac12 is a much better deal by a long shot.
No, I still don't see it. Sure, I understand the money and recruiting side of your argument, but I'm a fan of Oklahoma football, as you are obviously a fan too. You cannot tell me that watching the Sooners face-off against teams from the PAC-12 get's your fired up. Wouldn't you rather see OU play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, etc? ...or are you wanting "easy" wins? The Big Ten screams tradition, Oklahoma screams tradition! PAC-12, not so much. Yeah, let's go play Cal, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Stanford...how exciting. Barf!

Neath a Western Sky
9/18/2011, 10:45 PM
No, I still don't see it. Sure, I understand the money and recruiting side of your argument, but I'm a fan of Oklahoma football, as you are obviously a fan too. You cannot tell me that watching the Sooners face-off against teams from the PAC-12 get's your fired up. Wouldn't you rather see OU play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, etc? ...or are you wanting "easy" wins? The Big Ten screams tradition, Oklahoma screams tradition! PAC-12, not so much. Yeah, let's go play Cal, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Stanford...how exciting. Barf!

Not being sarcastic, but games with the teams you mentioned do sound exciting to me, especially Southern Cal and Oregon.

silverwheels
9/18/2011, 10:52 PM
OU wasn't going to get into the Big Ten barring a major change in how that conference runs things, especially on the academic side.

Land Run Sports
9/18/2011, 10:54 PM
Exactly, you picked 2 schools that have had success lately, tradition, USC only. What has the rest of the conference done? What if OU had to play against the teams mentioned from the Big Ten? You could pick easily 4 teams from the Big Ten that would be a more exciting matchup - it's a better conference.

silverwheels
9/18/2011, 10:55 PM
"Exciting" is subjective. I don't think there's anything exciting about how the Big Ten plays football.

WA. Sooner
9/18/2011, 10:58 PM
If they allow the LHN cancer then we should look elsewhere.

silverwheels
9/18/2011, 11:02 PM
I don't know where else we would go, unless Boren softens his stance on the SEC.

Land Run Sports
9/18/2011, 11:05 PM
I agree with the lack of academics comment and the the "I don't think there's anything exciting about how the Big Ten plays football", but the Big Ten has found more success and more tradition than anyone from the Pac-12. This is only my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

SCOUT
9/18/2011, 11:33 PM
The Big Ten has tradition to be sure. I just think they are a conference on the decline. Army, Harvard and Yale have a lot of tradition too. I would rather jump on a rising ship rather than a sinking one. I could very well be wrong on their direction but it seems likely to me. Ohio St. will suffer from their transgressions. Michigan and Michigan State haven't been in the mix in a while. Will Penn State be the same after Joe Pa? I just don't think the Big 10 is a good long term proposition for OU.

Regardless, we will be fine wherever we end up.

SoonerStud615
9/18/2011, 11:36 PM
Man would I just L-U-V luv to play in the B1G and have final scores of 11-9 every week! /sarcasm

BASSooner
9/18/2011, 11:45 PM

I completely agree with your statement about the B1G. Better than the Pac indeed, however, it was never an option to begin with.

You lost credibility with your last statement. This is based on the CURRENT condition that they are in. Stanford will go back to mediocrity but not to the level of crap they used to be. USC will be back on top after their probation is over. Even with investigations pending with Oregon, they'll continue to succeed under Chip Kelly. Their whacky uniform and helmet designs recruit well believe it or not. After the Pac16 and assuming texas comes on board (which I think they will) look at the quality teams of the PAC:

OU
UT
USC
Oregon
OSU(OK not ore.)

That's competition galore!

BASSooner
9/18/2011, 11:53 PM
If they allow the LHN cancer then we should look elsewhere.

All the crap that you've been hearing in Austin is just a spin and making it look like that UT scored a deal or has the advantage. In reality though, the only way they can come is if it's folded into a Texas (the state) network. Meaning they would HAVE to share it with Tech, otherwise it's a no go. No worries though. UT is not getting any special deals. You can imagine the PAC schools are keeping a close eye on this also.

zandozan
9/19/2011, 12:59 AM
Forget the PAC-12, I'd rather see OU compete in the BIG TEN. Am I the only one that feels this way?

The B1G won't happen because it's all about recruiting. Unless we bring Texas with us, we become the southernmost team in the B1G and lose a lot of exposure in the state where we get most of our recruits, Texas. We do gain exposure up north, but honestly those recruits are usually going to Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State. Also, good luck convincing a lot of the Texas kids to go to OU when they have to play in places like Minnesota and Wisconsin instead of Tempe and southern Cal.

Lastly I'd be willing to bet there are a LOT more OU fans out west than north. We have a built in fan base out there.

LASooner
9/19/2011, 04:23 AM
It's not talked about much in this discussion, but OU's exposure for recruiting in the other sports will go up. UCLA has won an insane number of national championships in the "lesser" sports as well as many of the other PAC schools, this will trickle down to recruiting people who want to compete on the highest level in whatever sport they happen to participate in.

And how many away games now involve beaches? Which brings me to another point, so here we are in Mid-November and USC comes to town to play OU in freezing rain.... who do you think is going to be better prepared for that?

bluedogok
9/19/2011, 10:13 AM
When OU plays, I get fired up, it doesn't matter who the opponent is.

soonerboomer93
9/19/2011, 10:32 AM
"Exciting" is subjective. I don't think there's anything exciting about how the Big Ten plays football.

troof

Lawton4Life
9/19/2011, 10:33 AM
When did the Big 10 become something special? This is the same Big 10 that couldnt beat an SEC team to save it's life right? They finally got one over on a mid level arkansas team with inelligible players.

Big 10 has five crappy teams too: Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue

SoonerMom2
9/19/2011, 10:37 AM
Texas has a TX size problem now with their arrogance and the LHN:

@Yahoo_GrahamGraham Watson

Hearing the Pac-12 wouldn't have the nine member votes to let Texas in right now. Not sure who else besides Colorado is against it.

Veritas
9/19/2011, 10:41 AM
I'd love to see OU in the B1G but PAC-PickANumber is a better move for the Sooners.

SoonerMom2
9/19/2011, 10:48 AM
I have been following Twitter recently for news stories and also on for OU sports -- love Kenny Mossman on Twitter as he speaks without all the gibberish so you can figure out what he says. His latestst on Stoops is funny after he was on with Dan Patrick this morning:

@Kenny_MossmanKenny Mossman

Patrick on Stoops deflecting questions on alignment, "That's a veteran defensive back there. You can't teach that."

Bourbon St Sooner
9/19/2011, 10:56 AM
Maybe some of you guys haven't been awake for the past 20 years, but the big 10 sucks! At halftime of the OU game, I turn over to the tosu-cons game and tosu has 13 yards passing late in the 3rd Q. 13 yards!

KantoSooner
9/19/2011, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=LASooner;3346214]And how many away games now involve beaches? QUOTE]

Teach me about the 'beach' thing related to Cali.

Maybe my timing is bad, but every time I've gone to purported beaches there, the water temp has been somewhere around -255 Kelvin. I like actually getting into the water when I go to a 'beach' and not having to wear a wetsuit.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=LASooner;3346214]And how many away games now involve beaches? QUOTE]

Teach me about the 'beach' thing related to Cali.

Maybe my timing is bad, but every time I've gone to purported beaches there, the water temp has been somewhere around -255 Kelvin. I like actually getting into the water when I go to a 'beach' and not having to wear a wetsuit.

And you haven't even gotten to the issue of "shrinkage" - the horror.

Land Run Sports
9/19/2011, 11:33 AM
When did the Big 10 become something special? This is the same Big 10 that couldnt beat an SEC team to save it's life right? They finally got one over on a mid level arkansas team with inelligible players.

Big 10 has five crappy teams too: Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue
I don't remember saying the Big Ten was "special". Please tell me what conference has found success against the SEC? Certainly not the SEC or the Big 12. Regarding the "crappy" bottom five teams from the Big 10, that conference is still better than the PAC-12 top to bottom.
Seriously, none of this matters - I am only voicing my opinion that I'd rather see OU play in the Big Ten. I know it won't happen, its just wishful thinking. With that said, the PAC-12 still blows!

Land Run Sports
9/19/2011, 11:35 AM
I don't remember saying the Big Ten was "special". Please tell me what conference has found success against the SEC? Certainly not the SEC or the Big 12. Regarding the "crappy" bottom five teams from the Big 10, that conference is still better than the PAC-12 top to bottom.
Seriously, none of this matters - I am only voicing my opinion that I'd rather see OU play in the Big Ten. I know it won't happen, its just wishful thinking. With that said, the PAC-12 still blows!
Ooops...Certainly not the PAC-12 or the Big 12...

SoonerMom2
9/19/2011, 11:48 AM
If TX remains commited to the LHN and blows the PAC off and they take KS/KSU which is the latest rumor out of the west coast as MO will go to the Big East waiting for the Big 10 to call according to STL reports, that would mean 5 out 8 of the old Big 8 schools would be back together.

This might be why OU and A&M have been talking about playing at the Cotton Bowl as TX has already told A&M if they leave it is over with playing UT. Arrogance is going to be UT's downfall.

ouengineer97
9/19/2011, 11:53 AM
I am having trouble reading this correctly, or maybe I just can't beleive the result:

"The Longhorns would be able to keep all of their revenue from the network if that amount is greater than one-sixteenth of what the entire Pac-12 receives for its third-tier rights. However, if one-sixteenth of the money the Pac-12 receives from third-tier rights ends up being a larger amount, the schools would divide the revenue evenly and everybody would receive the same amount, the source said."

I read this to mean, * will keep $15M / year (current contract) so long as $15M > 1/16 of Pac 12 3rd tier rights. However, if 1/16 of PAC-12 3rd tier rights are larger than $15M, then the schools would divide evenly. This logic seems backwards to me. I would have thought that * would have to split up any revenue above a certain threshold, but this seems to exactly the opposite, where * gets to keep more if they increase the contract above the 3rd tier rights.

Question: How much is the current PAC 12 3rd tier rights? And, are these the other regional networks?

This may not be worth analysing, but feel free to chime in, if interested.

Also, I noticed the comment that the network would focus on both * and TT. Wouldn't this be a disadvantage for us down the road, and do we now have to have an Oklahoma network to stay competitive? It seems like this would not be acceptable to the bigger schools in the PAC12 like USC.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/19/2011, 11:57 AM
the West coast does not have "beaches" in the traditional sense. They have coastline. I've been to San Diego (which is pretty close to the Mexico border) in the summer and the water is pretty cold. People don't go to the beach to tan. Why do you think all those houses in Orange County have pools? Because the beach is used for beach sports, unlike the beaches along the Atlantic.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 11:58 AM
http://www.freshgizmos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/NBA-Jam.jpg

HE'S HEATING UP!

Fraggle145
9/19/2011, 11:59 AM
It's not talked about much in this discussion, but OU's exposure for recruiting in the other sports will go up. UCLA has won an insane number of national championships in the "lesser" sports as well as many of the other PAC schools, this will trickle down to recruiting people who want to compete on the highest level in whatever sport they happen to participate in.

And how many away games now involve beaches? Which brings me to another point, so here we are in Mid-November and USC comes to town to play OU in freezing rain.... who do you think is going to be better prepared for that?

Stanford has too. Put it all together:

Total NC's through 2007
1.UCLA: 100
2. Stanford: 94
3. Southern California: 84
4. Oklahoma State: 48
7. Texas: 39

(I got all of this info from the NCAA website (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Sports%20and%20Championship/General%20Information/champs_listing1.html)) And we have like 20+ depending on how they counted football titles.

USC Trojan
9/19/2011, 12:03 PM
the West coast does not have "beaches" in the traditional sense. They have coastline. I've been to San Diego (which is pretty close to the Mexico border) in the summer and the water is pretty cold. People don't go to the beach to tan. Why do you think all those houses in Orange County have pools? Because the beach is used for beach sports, unlike the beaches along the Atlantic.

The West Coast does have beaches. You are correct about the water temp. This current comes straight from Alaskan waters.

USC Trojan
9/19/2011, 12:07 PM
As a USC fan I'm pretty excited about this. Making it to the NC will be hard as hell, but a tradition rich/big match up regular season should keep me pretty happy. The additions of Texas, TT, Oklahoma and OSU is as good as it gets.

FtwTxSooner
9/19/2011, 12:09 PM
I am having trouble reading this correctly, or maybe I just can't beleive the result:

"The Longhorns would be able to keep all of their revenue from the network if that amount is greater than one-sixteenth of what the entire Pac-12 receives for its third-tier rights. However, if one-sixteenth of the money the Pac-12 receives from third-tier rights ends up being a larger amount, the schools would divide the revenue evenly and everybody would receive the same amount, the source said."

I read this to mean, * will keep $15M / year (current contract) so long as $15M > 1/16 of Pac 12 3rd tier rights. However, if 1/16 of PAC-12 3rd tier rights are larger than $15M, then the schools would divide evenly. This logic seems backwards to me. I would have thought that * would have to split up any revenue above a certain threshold, but this seems to exactly the opposite, where * gets to keep more if they increase the contract above the 3rd tier rights.

Question: How much is the current PAC 12 3rd tier rights? And, are these the other regional networks?

This may not be worth analysing, but feel free to chime in, if interested.

Also, I noticed the comment that the network would focus on both * and TT. Wouldn't this be a disadvantage for us down the road, and do we now have to have an Oklahoma network to stay competitive? It seems like this would not be acceptable to the bigger schools in the PAC12 like USC.

That came from Kirk Bohls and the Austin American Statesman. Its not worth analyzing at this moment, as its not going to be what the PAC schools agree upon. View it more along the lines of * first offer. The PAC schools seem to be set on sharing all revenues equally.

jtrumbly
9/19/2011, 12:09 PM
Completely the only one...

cherokeebrewer
9/19/2011, 12:12 PM
When I was stationed in Southern California, I went to the beaches for the surfer girls...not to swim.

Land Run Sports
9/19/2011, 12:19 PM
Completely the only one...
Obviously not. Maybe you should read a little closer.

olevetonahill
9/19/2011, 12:22 PM
As a Fan, I agree with Bob. I dont care where we go. Ima Follow and Yell my fool head off every game .

SoonerMom2
9/19/2011, 01:04 PM
@DufresneLATimes
Chris Dufresne
Texas has no leverage here, it's running OUT of options and NEEDS the Pac-12. OU can walk in easily but Tex can only negotiate, not dictate

We are the ****ing joneses hahaha shoes on the other foot :)

All kinds of Twitter posts out of the PAC 12 region is saying the same thing but this reporter from the LA Times said it best IMHO! TX is becoming the laughingstock of the Country with their LHN along with ESPN. Guess the Big 12 wasn't the only group of schools to see that ESPN gave TX an unfair advantage and now TX can end up with the left over schools of the Big East -- basketball schools are rumored to be breaking off. This week is going to be interesting with OSU now scheduling a BoR Meeting on Wednesday to discuss realignment -- word is to expect an announcement by OU/OSU/PAC on Wed or Thurs. Then the rest of the football world blows up. If TX doesn't get its act together, then Tech is left behind and they are talking KS/KSU which would mean 5 Big 8 schools together in one conference.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/19/2011, 02:21 PM
I would love to go to games in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania in November and December. To borrow a phrase from Wayne's World...NOT!

Are you kidding me, the B1G gets throttled more than we do in BCS games and no one is worth a crap really. I would much rather go out west and play teams in locals much more receptive to travelling. The prettiest parts of the country are where these universities are. Also, Pac-12 football is exciting with the west coast mentality. Pac 12 >>>>>>>>>>> B1G

NormanPride
9/19/2011, 02:25 PM
It's not just about the football (lol who am I kidding of course it is). It's also about academics and acceptance to the AAU. Boren is trying to create a great University, not just a great football team. Going up north would reunite us with Nebraska, and a whole lot of fans and culture that fit us more than Cali beaches and Oregon granola.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/19/2011, 04:40 PM
Saw this on ESPN, kind of funny to me

Oklahoma: "You have to tell them."
Texas: "It was your idea."
Oklahoma: "Maybe we can just slip out."
Texas: "It'd be way too obvious."
Oklahoma: "Oh @#*%! They see us."

Baylor: "Hey guys!"
Texas: "Uh, hi."
Oklahoma: "Oh, hello."
Baylor: "Can you believe what those A&M jerks did?!"
Texas: "Well..."
Oklahoma: "Um, sometimes things just don't work out..."
Baylor: "Don't worry, guys! We've got a plan!"
Oklahoma: "A plan for what?"
Baylor: "To keep A&M."
Texas: "Um..."
Oklahoma: "What is it?"
Baylor: "We're gonna sue them."
Texas: "Oh."
Oklahoma: "That seems a bit harsh."
Baylor: "It'll show them that we are not to be trifled with. We brought the paperwork for you to sign."

(Baylor hands paperwork to Texas and Oklahoma.)

Texas: "Oh, we see."
Oklahoma: "Right now?"
Baylor: "Yes."

(Tech and OK State run up with suitcases.)

Tech: "Hey guys! We're good to go!"
OK State: "We both packed like you said we should!"
Tech: "Yeppers! We're ready to go when you are!"
OK State: "We always wanted to see the ocean!"
Baylor: "Uh, what are you guys talking about?"

(Texas and Oklahoma wave desperately to get Tech and OK State to shut up.)

Tech: "Texas and Oklahoma said that since A&M is going to the Southeast, we should pack to go to the Pacific."
OK State: "They got us the tickets and everything."
Baylor: "WHAT?!"

soonercoop1
9/19/2011, 04:49 PM
It's not just about the football (lol who am I kidding of course it is). It's also about academics and acceptance to the AAU. Boren is trying to create a great University, not just a great football team. Going up north would reunite us with Nebraska, and a whole lot of fans and culture that fit us more than Cali beaches and Oregon granola.

Its all about the political ideology of the decision maker (s) than it is football...why would OU follow Texass anywhere when they have already destroyed 2 (SW & Big12) other conferences....

oudivesherpa
9/19/2011, 04:53 PM
Tech: "Texas and Oklahoma said that since A&M is going to the Southeast, we should pack to go to the Pacific."

This play is sung to the tune of California here I come.

Okie States refrain is the theme from Green Acres

Monster Zero
9/19/2011, 05:50 PM

This play is sung to the tune of California here I come.

Okie States refrain is the theme from Green Acres

Queue up Mama Cass and California Dreamin'...

Herr Scholz
9/19/2011, 07:19 PM
Let's go. Colorado is sad now.

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 07:21 PM
Let's go. Colorado is sad now.

Yeah, but nobody really listens to them anyway. Your bags packed?

Herr Scholz
9/19/2011, 07:25 PM
Hell yes. Can't wait for the West Coast trips. I'm most excited about Phoenix. Golf. Hot, dumb blondes. Winning.

8timechamps
9/19/2011, 07:28 PM
Hell yes. Can't wait for the West Coast trips. I'm most excited about Phoenix. Golf. Hot, dumb blondes. Winning.

I'm with on you, as long as you mean "Hot dumb blondes", and not "Hot. Dumb Blondes". I'll pass on the 125 degree days. Although, that does tend to force less attire...

soonermagicgirl
9/19/2011, 07:38 PM
As long as we have at least 6 home games, I'm good where ever we go :)

Soonerfan88
9/19/2011, 07:42 PM
Herr, before you call the taxi you might want to double check. I'm not sure your ticket is paid for yet.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/19/pac-12-expansion-the-latest-on-texas-revenue-sharing-and-16-team-division-alignment/

Herr Scholz
9/19/2011, 07:49 PM
Not worried.

AlboSooner
9/19/2011, 07:59 PM
For Texas it must be an ego thing. They don't need the money they get from LHN.

bluedogok
9/19/2011, 09:28 PM
For Texas it must be an ego thing. They don't need the money they get from LHN.
Isn't EVERYTHING Texas does pretty much an ego thing?