PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Stills Game Winning TD Catch

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 03:15 PM
hWTgoypNKa4

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 03:18 PM
From the stands I thought interception until he came down with it.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 03:18 PM
A: great catch?
B: great pass?
C: both?

I say a little more of A than B, but both

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 03:19 PM
I'll take 1 on 1 with g5 all day long...and twice on Sunday.

Soonerfan88
9/18/2011, 03:23 PM
Loved the tribute to Box as he looked at the camera.

Exceptional catch. Last year I would have laughed if someone told me Broyles wouldn't last long as our best receiver but now I think Stills will exceed him.

IronHorseSooner
9/18/2011, 05:26 PM
I remember Stiils' first interview last year in Spring Ball. He said something to the effect of "if you can't go up one-on-one and make the catch, then you have no business being a receiver!" How true young man, how true!

Jacie
9/18/2011, 05:30 PM
Another clip to add to the Reid highlight film . . .

Soonerus
9/18/2011, 05:31 PM
Great catch...

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 06:29 PM
Great catch - the pass was under-thrown and Stills used his body to keep the DB away. Then showed incredibly strong hands.

cleller
9/18/2011, 08:44 PM
Landry: Kenny, its a "go" to the endzone, where do you want it?
Stills: Just toss it up, Reid has been on me.

hawaii 5-0
9/18/2011, 09:41 PM
The pass was ballooned a little. Stills had to slow down to wait on it and Little #5 caught up with Kenny. I'm glad Still was taller and has great hands.

5-0

8timechamps
9/18/2011, 09:42 PM
The pass was ballooned a little. Stills had to slow down to wait on it and Little #5 caught up with Kenny. I'm glad Still was taller and has great hands.

5-0

See, if Bob wouldn't have been playing his brother, he would have told Landry to fire it on a rope, instead, he told him to lob it in...

:)

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 10:36 PM
See, if Bob wouldn't have been playing his brother, he would have told Landry to fire it on a rope, instead, he told him to lob it in...

:)

Heh...

The Maestro
9/19/2011, 08:22 AM
Someone freeze frame Kenny with the "12" showing and post...thanks!

NOVSooner
9/19/2011, 08:26 AM
this was the most clutch catch but man that catch he made when he had to come out a few plays was just amazing. covered, safety running at him and he slides and catches the ball. i can't think of a better 1-2 combination of receivers in the nation.

rainiersooner
9/19/2011, 08:27 AM
Great Sooner moment.

KantoSooner
9/19/2011, 09:10 AM
The funniest thing about it was how he just walked away after it was done. I'd say he learned all about 'excessive celebration' last year. He looked like a damn mummy with his arms stiff at his sides.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 09:15 AM
The funniest thing about it was how he just walked away after it was done. I'd say he learned all about 'excessive celebration' last year. He looked like a damn mummy with his arms stiff at his sides.

Yeah, I thought he was concentrating on controlling himself so that he didn't draw a flag even though he wanted to do something. It was only 1 score lead and a kickoff penalty could have really cost us (especially if we miss the XP, gasp!!). "Must. not. provoke. ref....". Then the tribute to Box was awesome. Stills seems to have really grown up since last year.

deweydw
9/19/2011, 09:59 AM
Loved the tribute to Box as he looked at the camera.

I missed that first time around. That was awesome. :sorrow: Nice post JLEW.

Sooner Among The Pack
9/19/2011, 10:02 AM
Did anyone ever determine who the guy in the suit is?

deweydw
9/19/2011, 10:07 AM
Matt Roberts

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?159356-During-Stills-TD-who-was-the-guy....

JLMSOONER
9/19/2011, 10:21 AM
The ball was under thrown. Stills had Reid beat by 5 yards but had to wait on it. It was a great catch. Stills didn't have to celebrate. The guy in the suit was doing it for him. Kenny should have tossed him the ball and he could have spiked it between his legs.

vtsooner21
9/19/2011, 11:08 AM
Was so great to see 1-2 held up after the catch...What a great statement!

Boomer

BigTip
9/19/2011, 11:28 AM

LOL, he looked right at the ref as if to say, "Look, no celebration".

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 11:29 AM
Stills had yards on Reid, if pass was great, Stills never hits ground. Landry's deep ball is mediocre. But Stills made the play.

ouleaf
9/19/2011, 12:36 PM
Stills made a great catch and to me was the offensive MVP of the game. The guy is a stud and has a knack for making big plays. Not really sure what WR's in the past you can even compare him to. Seems to be one of a kind.

yermom
9/19/2011, 12:43 PM
Another clip to add to the Reid highlight film . . .

d'oh

he was watching the ball the whole way, just couldn't do anything about it

SunnySooner
9/19/2011, 01:38 PM
Kenny put a great little stutter move on Greggie when he was running the route, too, totally made him lose a step, too funny. We make Mr. Bad Boy Gred Reid look like the second string of my kid's JV team for some reason. I've seen him play well, he just doesn't do it against us, lol!!!

And our seats were straight up from that corner of the endzone, we went nuts, OMG, it was such a relief to know we weren't driving back to Jax at 2 in the morning with a loss. We were jumping, screaming, hugging, high-fiving complete strangers, all of us, the whole section just lost it. When they had scored that TD to tie, that place had gotten so loud, and the momentum had swung so far in FSU's favor, I swear you could feel it in your body, you just KNEW it wasn't going to end well for us. I've never been at an away game like that one, those people are STARVING for a return to elite, they smelled it, they were all yelling at full lung power when our O came back on the field. I was hoping for OT at best, because I thought our D could hold 'em to a tie, but then Broyles caught that long one on 3rd and 12 for 1st down, the crowd got quieter, the mojo started swinging back a little, hope sprang eternal, and then the next thing we knew BAM!! TOUCHDOWN, STILLS!!! Ahhh, it's up there now in one of my alltime fave Sooner memories, so glad I got to share it with my boy, it really did feel like old time Keith Jackson style Sooner Magic.

Love this team, they are a special group, I hope they bring the crystal ball back on home to Norman, yes for the fans, but mostly for their sake--they've been thru a lot and I just want it for them really bad.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/19/2011, 01:42 PM
its my av

picasso
9/19/2011, 01:43 PM
Stills had yards on Reid, if pass was great, Stills never hits ground. Landry's deep ball is mediocre. But Stills made the play.
The other deep ball he threw that Stills caught and slid was money.

Your observations are mediocre.

NormanPride
9/19/2011, 01:51 PM
It was a great play, Landry delivered a great ball and Stills wouldn't have had any space without the pump fake Landry gave. SO THERE.

sluggo sooner
9/19/2011, 01:59 PM

Yep. He threaded that one. Considering how close the TD was to both the sideline and the back of the endzone (and that the ball was in the air 50 yards), it's hard to be too critical.

picasso
9/19/2011, 02:01 PM
Would anyone dare say that Landry threw some nice deep balls against Nebbish and UConn last season?
Our fan base will always be chock full of little bitches who will cry about anything.

NormanPride
9/19/2011, 02:14 PM
He's better than Paul was by a country mile, and I would even say as good as Jason. Bradford and Hybl were special at the deep ball, though.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 02:21 PM
It wasn't a great pass and I'm sure LJ would be the first to say that. But it was good enough and over-throwing or throwing out of bounds would have been the worst things to do. Slightly under-throwing a receiver who has the height advantage in man coverage gives you a chance and it paid off.

Texas Golfer
9/19/2011, 02:36 PM
We won. Enough said.

fwsooner22
9/19/2011, 02:42 PM
Criticism after a game like that should get you banned for life.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 02:43 PM
THROH MOAR FUTBALZ

C&CDean
9/19/2011, 02:57 PM

David, kindly stfu. Landry put the ball exactly where it needed to be to be caught. If he led him, he would have caught it OB. He put it in a spot where either Stills catches it, or it's incomplete. You're almost making me tempted to put together a highlight reel of Landry's "mediocre" deep balls. Sheez.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 03:01 PM
It ain't HOW the ball was thrown necessarily, it's when.

Half second quicker and he's got Stills in stride. Kinda hard to bitch about a half second to a kid that throws a TD, though.

C&CDean
9/19/2011, 03:06 PM
Here's a few of his last year's highlights. There's a couple balls that were thrown "medicorelly" but there's also some ropes.

Oh yeah, turn down the music, it sucks.

5q_w0LJNm3E

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 08:57 PM

I know, trying to get better though. And agree, first one was an amazing grab.

Would anyone dare say that Landry threw some nice deep balls against Nebbish and UConn last season?
Our fan base will always be chock full of little bitches who will cry about anything.

Amazing how you went 0-60 in just 2 posts. Please dont be petty.

David, kindly stfu. Landry put the ball exactly where it needed to be to be caught. If he led him, he would have caught it OB. He put it in a spot where either Stills catches it, or it's incomplete. You're almost making me tempted to put together a highlight reel of Landry's "mediocre" deep balls. Sheez.

hWTgoypNKa4

Kenny had three steps on him at the 5, and then had to slow down to get it. Kenny made a spectacular play. Also, was replying to question asked previously,

Back off guys.

BeaSooner
9/19/2011, 09:27 PM

I concur

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 10:19 PM
Back off guys.

No. You're the one wanting to be a coach when you grow up.

So tell me this, coach. What'd you see? After further review, we see trips left, tiered outs with the fade from the X. By design, we didn't have enough room to run this play appropriately. If you'd read the 1st pre-snap check, it's corner. Followed by safety. He's got 10 yard pad on the fade and for all rights and purposes, 10 yard pad shouldn't clear a receiver over the top. Hence the pump, BY DESIGN. Not to freeze the safety, but to get one on one over the top because the safety, NOT responsible for the deep third, MUST check the under because he's responsible for the slot. So again, the pump was necessary to force the Safety to jump the under. Where it broke was in the CB break on the pump. The CB should, with the help of that 10 yard pad, be eyes to coverage and take on the deep third because with the safety committed under, he's on an island.

In other words, blown coverage, done so by Mr. Reid having his eyes in the backfield looking to make a play instead of being disciplined to his assignment. HOWEVER, because of the pump to the under (which again was by design, there's no receivers flashed at the pump), that extends the read on the primary because Landry has to check the coverage. If he's safety over, he checks to the secondary, the 10 yard out (which if he had safety over, would be wide open), because he knows he has press on the 5 yard out, his 3rd check from the pre-snap and 3rd route in the pattern.

So with ALL that, he's thrown the pump, checked the primary, read the safety's jump, and now is in a position to deliver the football. If he's a half second earlier, he can read like Joe Montana. Instead, he's the well coached human Landry Jones, makes his checks, sees the receiver, and makes the throw. 10 yards further out, this again goes for money. Given the circumstances, given the time to develop and the reads required, it simply leaves us with one hell of a play by Stills and Landry making something happen with the circumstances given.

picasso
9/19/2011, 10:39 PM
Amazing how you went 0-60 in just 2 posts. Please dont be petty.

Back off guys.
That wasn't necessarily directed at you but if you took offense then perhaps you should torque down on some of the blah blah blah.

Landry is no Jason White on the deep ball but he's better than average. And that's a ****load better than mediocre.

oudavid1
9/20/2011, 12:21 AM
No. You're the one wanting to be a coach when you grow up.

So tell me this, coach. What'd you see? After further review, we see trips left, tiered outs with the fade from the X. By design, we didn't have enough room to run this play appropriately. If you'd read the 1st pre-snap check, it's corner. Followed by safety. He's got 10 yard pad on the fade and for all rights and purposes, 10 yard pad shouldn't clear a receiver over the top. Hence the pump, BY DESIGN. Not to freeze the safety, but to get one on one over the top because the safety, NOT responsible for the deep third, MUST check the under because he's responsible for the slot. So again, the pump was necessary to force the Safety to jump the under. Where it broke was in the CB break on the pump. The CB should, with the help of that 10 yard pad, be eyes to coverage and take on the deep third because with the safety committed under, he's on an island.

In other words, blown coverage, done so by Mr. Reid having his eyes in the backfield looking to make a play instead of being disciplined to his assignment. HOWEVER, because of the pump to the under (which again was by design, there's no receivers flashed at the pump), that extends the read on the primary because Landry has to check the coverage. If he's safety over, he checks to the secondary, the 10 yard out (which if he had safety over, would be wide open), because he knows he has press on the 5 yard out, his 3rd check from the pre-snap and 3rd route in the pattern.

So with ALL that, he's thrown the pump, checked the primary, read the safety's jump, and now is in a position to deliver the football. If he's a half second earlier, he can read like Joe Montana. Instead, he's the well coached human Landry Jones, makes his checks, sees the receiver, and makes the throw. 10 yards further out, this again goes for money. Given the circumstances, given the time to develop and the reads required, it simply leaves us with one hell of a play by Stills and Landry making something happen with the circumstances given.

What I see if r trips yo away, 5 out, 10 out, and mor route. Landry had max protection and starred down his receiver, pump faked once. There is no thirds because no defense would play cover 3 vs trips. Its man. You'll watch the jack backer go with inside out, safety watching broyles, and Greg Reid jumping twice (i have no idea why) on the route. Landry took a shot on 1on1 after a big play to a kid that makes big plays. He also had a receiver with great hands, jumping ability, and 4 inches on the corner. i however was judging the ball, just the ball. It was a touchdown, witch is awesome. But Stills made the bigger play in my opinion. Part of me thinks LJ was trying to throw a jump ball because he didnt think Stills had as much separation. Im a perfectionist in my own mind. For OU, that play was just fine. BTW the only reason a safety jumps on a x or z with trips is if it is cover 2...which most schools do not run.

That wasn't necessarily directed at you but if you took offense then perhaps you should torque down on some of the blah blah blah.

Landry is no Jason White on the deep ball but he's better than average. And that's a ****load better than mediocre.

You might have a point.

En_Fuego
9/20/2011, 12:44 AM
To me it looks like a busted coverage. Greg Reid hesitated because there wasnt anyone covering Franks.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2011, 12:53 AM
No one has commented on that burst we saw from Stills. Yes Reid paused for a beat, but then took off and Still not only got by him but was continuing to pull away until he had to wait for the ball. I'm sure Reid is not slow, but Stills made him look that way. That was awesome; Stills is going to have a monster year.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2011, 08:00 AM
i however was judging the ball, just the ball. It was a touchdown, witch is awesome. But Stills made the bigger play in my opinion. Part of me thinks LJ was trying to throw a jump ball because he didnt think Stills had as much separation. Im a perfectionist in my own mind. For OU, that play was just fine.

Then judge the play because the development of the play and the appropriate checks dictate the amount of time Landry must have in the pocket, therefore dictate what kind of ball he should be able to deliver in these specific circumstances. And the simple fact remains, by design, Stills ran out of room. Landry pumped, checked, and popped and by the time he popped, he has to short arm that ball. The ONLY other option was to make the read faster and the guys that make that read faster play on Sunday, not Saturday.

BTW the only reason a safety jumps on a x or z with trips is if it is cover 2...which most schools do not run.

You need to go back to school. I saw so much Cover 2 this weekend it was stupid. And the very premise of this statement is wrong. It's based entirely on level responsibility and coverage type. So yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus, schools still run buttloads of Cover 2, and you still got a lot to learn about football.

However, you talk a great game. Joe Sixpack would never pick up on how full of crap you are.

btb916
9/20/2011, 11:34 AM
I love it when Jones underthrows Stills on deep routes. Generally ends up in touchdowns.

I have a ton of confidence in Landry. He really shines in the fourth quarter now, and that's a great time to play your best. He's stood tall through a TON of criticism. I doubt it was very fun in 2009 to have so many people rooting against you. But he kept at it and now he's a stud.

oudavid1
9/20/2011, 01:55 PM
Then judge the play because the development of the play and the appropriate checks dictate the amount of time Landry must have in the pocket, therefore dictate what kind of ball he should be able to deliver in these specific circumstances. And the simple fact remains, by design, Stills ran out of room. Landry pumped, checked, and popped and by the time he popped, he has to short arm that ball. The ONLY other option was to make the read faster and the guys that make that read faster play on Sunday, not Saturday.

You need to go back to school. I saw so much Cover 2 this weekend it was stupid. And the very premise of this statement is wrong. It's based entirely on level responsibility and coverage type. So yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus, schools still run buttloads of Cover 2, and you still got a lot to learn about football.

However, you talk a great game. Joe Sixpack would never pick up on how full of crap you are.

I never claim to know everything. And what I meant was, a true cover 2 zone. Yes, team run 2-man-under, but not against trips. And my reference point of a "good ball" is measured against perfection. He under threw him whether you see it or not. And there were no checks, Landry looked at one receiver. He had max protect, they were going deep the whole way or throwing it away. That ball should have been thrown a second sooner. Which someone originally asked in this thread.

I know I have a lot to learn, but that dosnt mean I cant be right or that it gives you the right to get offended by it. But you probably will anyway.

oudavid1
12/9/2011, 11:47 PM

BUMP

Yeah, still waiting on that tape. How many great deep balls did we see after Florida State game? As I said, Landry is mediocre at the deep ball.

picasso
12/9/2011, 11:53 PM
Give us some examples yourself there smart guy. That INT that Jaz lost in Stillwater was up for grabs.

Here's to you internet bump guy.

oudavid1
12/9/2011, 11:58 PM
Give us some examples yourself there smart guy. That INT that Jaz lost in Stillwater was up for grabs.

Here's to you internet bump guy.

Overthrow to Kenny Stills during that game. 4th down vs Baylor where he threw it out of bounds. Just dont think the guy is very good down field. Dosnt put it in great spots. Not saying he is "bad". But not saying he is great. Needs improvement and I expect to happen if he stays or goes. He can do it, just hasnt. Thats all.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 12:04 AM

Landy's ball was right where it needed to be. It was a great throw. It was safe and high enough for Kenny to just tip it away if he didn't have a play on it.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 12:06 AM
BUMP

Yeah, still waiting on that tape. How many great deep balls did we see after Florida State game? As I said, Landry is mediocre at the deep ball.

You are insane. Where the hell did Stills go? After Ryan went out he just disappeared. Jaz looked like he might be the go to guy for Landry more than Kenny. Kenny seems happy as long as he's the guy they forget about. Great in a One on One situation. Ryan really opened up the field for Kenny.

SoonerMarkVA
12/10/2011, 09:49 AM
You are insane. Where the hell did Stills go? After Ryan went out he just disappeared. Jaz looked like he might be the go to guy for Landry more than Kenny. Kenny seems happy as long as he's the guy they forget about. Great in a One on One situation. Ryan really opened up the field for Kenny.

This seems to have been fully demonstrated. Stills essentially vanished after Broyles was out. Reynolds definitely took the place as "most reliable" without Broyles.

Be interesting to see how Stills develops over the off season. Hopefully it was a wake-up call for him.

85sooners
12/10/2011, 09:23 PM
Bump

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 09:39 PM
This seems to have been fully demonstrated. Stills essentially vanished after Broyles was out. Reynolds definitely took the place as "most reliable" without Broyles.

Be interesting to see how Stills develops over the off season. Hopefully it was a wake-up call for him.

I surely hope so. I'm not bashing Kenny....it's just how I saw it go down. He still makes some incredible plays but if he really wants to make some dough at the next level....he needs to really be a go to guy instead of just one of the guys of a really good receiving corp.

sooneron
12/11/2011, 12:36 AM
Ryan really opened up the field for Kenny.

This^ . When I was watching gameday the day of the Baylor game. They were showing what the OU offense could do that would over match the bears. They showed the td play of Stills from the texas game. In the breakdown they show Broyles drawing attention underneath and causing the safety to cheat up to help while Stills was 1 on 1 on the left boundary. I remember thinking to myself at the time, "Well, we could use that, but baylor won't be cheating up for Broyles' back up and thus, Kenny won't be so wide open anymore."

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 01:53 PM
Landy's ball was right where it needed to be. It was a great throw. It was safe and high enough for Kenny to just tip it away if he didn't have a play on it.
Seriously? You think that is where a ball is supposed to be?

Kenny beat his man, the ball was slightly under-thrown, Landry is a good quarterback, but his deep ball is not good.