PDA

View Full Version : OU/OSU/UT/TECH to PAC 12

colleyvillesooner
9/18/2011, 12:58 PM
Popping up all over twitter, multiple UT insiders reporting.

Apparently decided when OU and UT met.

would be a four team Pod system, with rotating schedule.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 12:59 PM
We will own the PAC if that really happens

SoonerofAlabama
9/18/2011, 01:01 PM
Meeting is tomorrow, though.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 01:04 PM
I'm seeing this too.

Matt Hayes of TSN is alluding to a B1G and SEC "howitzer" getting ready to be fired.

LiveLaughLove
9/18/2011, 01:04 PM
Of course, I'm sure the ut sources say that it was texas leading all along and that OU wasn't even being considered by the Pac without them.

Still, I'm glad we are going west. We can now recruit Cali and texas with equal enthusiasm.

Not sure about this pod system thing and how it works, but I guess they know so as long as we have a schedule to play, we will dominate on the field while ut will dominate in their minds.

colleyvillesooner
9/18/2011, 01:14 PM
Meeting tomorrow is to give Boren power to choose new conference. UT doing the same thin with Powers.

UT/OU joint meeting was last week. Supposedly UT said

UT: "Please stay in the Big 12! We'll give you some of our monies!"
OU: "OK sounds good...NOT! Go **** yourself. LOL"
UT: "please?"
OU: "suck it"
UT: "well..."
OU: Join us or die...in the ACC"
UT: "Fine, but we're keeping our network in some fashion."
OU: Y"ou mean the one only 4 million people can see? No problem. LOL"

AlboSooner
9/18/2011, 01:26 PM
Ou played this beautifully.

The fact is, OU never kept their plan a secret. They laid it out, and they did it. No secrecy, no Chip Brown to spew crap all over the internet. Ou said:
1. We want the Big 12 to survive. And Ou worked hard to keep it that way. Boren himself tried to talk AM from leaving.
2. OU wants a stable conference with great academics, and athletics.

Done.

End of story. Handled the situation like adults.

kevpks
9/18/2011, 01:38 PM
If we go with a pod system the mountain/desert pod is going to be awful: Arizona, Arizona St., Utah, and Colorado.

Serge Ibaka
9/18/2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe it will be Cal, Stanford, Utah, Colorado.

Not much better, but still.

Widescreen
9/18/2011, 01:51 PM
n/m

soonerboy_odanorth
9/18/2011, 01:53 PM
If we go with a pod system the mountain/desert pod is going to be awful: Arizona, Arizona St., Utah, and Colorado.

Disagree. I like it. Natural rivalries.

The only thing I don't like about this prospect of the "Pac-16" is Taco Tech being included. I'd rather we tell them to p*** off and grab BYU. Or Air Force. Or Kansas. Or TCU..... You get the picture.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 01:57 PM
Don't you think taking Tceh with them is a compromise? Taking the other Texas public university with them after aTm decided to bolt calms down neutral Regents and Legislators? (sorry Baylor, c'ya)

kevpks
9/18/2011, 02:45 PM

The only thing I don't like about this prospect of the "Pac-16" is Taco Tech being included. I'd rather we tell them to p*** off and grab BYU. Or Air Force. Or Kansas. Or TCU..... You get the picture.

I should rephrase. That pod would suck at playing football. Geographically it works very well.

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 03:08 PM
How is our pod going to be fair compared to the others, I don't like this pod set up one bit. Usc and oregon will have a much easier road to the conference championship.

soonervegas
9/18/2011, 03:13 PM
That's an SEC level POD....

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 03:16 PM

Hardest pod/division in the country....

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 03:17 PM
How is our pod going to be fair compared to the others, I don't like this pod set up one bit. Usc and oregon will have a much easier road to the conference championship.

Isn't it our pod now...only easier? No aTm...or RG3.

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 03:21 PM

But all the other conference teams have to play the same teams as us atm. If the best record gets into the championship game it will benefit those teams that are in the easy pods...

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 03:25 PM
But all the other conference teams have to play the same teams as us atm. If the best record gets into the championship game it will benefit those teams that are in the easy pods...

Prolly' be a +1 for the CC...DYT?

stoopified
9/18/2011, 03:26 PM
If I understand the pod system correctly(big if) yo play the three teams in your pod and 2/4 teams in each of the other three pods for a total of 9 conference games.tHE TWO GAMES FROM THE OTHER PODS ROTATE.

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 03:30 PM
If I understand the pod system correctly(big if) yo play the three teams in your pod and 2/4 teams in each of the other three pods for a total of 9 conference games.tHE TWO GAMES FROM THE OTHER PODS ROTATE.

Meaning we play ut tech and osu every year, while oregon has to play oregon state, washington, and wsu. Doesn't seem as fair but I guess neither was big 12 north and south...

SoCal
9/18/2011, 03:42 PM
Texas would be able to keep all of the revenue from its new cable network if that amount is greater than 1/16 of what the entire Pac-12 receives for its third-tier rights.

Otherwise, the members would divide the revenue evenly, the newspaper's source said. Texas would add conference content to the cable network.

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 03:44 PM
Meaning we play ut tech and osu every year, while oregon has to play oregon state, washington, and wsu. Doesn't seem as fair but I guess neither was big 12 north and south...

YABUT...now they have to play two of OU*TTOSU every year. We play that plus one. Not to bad IMO. They are in for a serious wakeup call.

TMcGee86
9/18/2011, 03:46 PM

I hate Tech as much as the next guy, but don't underestimate having another game in the state of Texas for recruiting purposes.

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 03:52 PM
...and w/ out Leach, they are now Baylor to us...hopefully a perennial tortilla tossing patsy...hopefully.:distress:

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't rely on the birdcage paper of TX for my info as they are nothing but a mouthpiece for UT who are trying to convince their fans this is a terrific. Scott said their network will be the same as the others. IMHO UT is blowing smoke because the last thing the PAC 12 would want is an unequal deal with TX who has a record of wanting to be favored.

SoonerMarkVA
9/18/2011, 04:08 PM
This is pretty darn exciting, to me. I guess overall I'd prefer an Eastern/Western region approach, as that would keep minimize travel costs/inconveniences. On the up side, it does mean more games against the west-coast teams. Either, though, is a huge improvement over the Dead Conference Walking.

What makes the most sense power-wise is to split up OU, ut, USC, and UO into each of the 4 pods. I understand why we don't want to do that, and I guess that's just the price we pay (having the toughest pod) to keep OU/ut.

Soonermagik
9/18/2011, 04:10 PM
Texas understands the buzz of the RRR. They understand OU and Texas are good for each other. Texas understands why FSU loaded up their stadium. Playing OU helps their brand and OU understands that, too. I guess good needs evil. We know who is who ;).

Sabanball
9/18/2011, 04:13 PM
Story seems to have legs, as it is now being reported in other places. If this happens, and I think it ultimately will, then I predict the SEC will pick up Mizzou in the West and poach West Virginia from the Big East while it's in it's death throws. After that we only need one more team to make it to an even 16. Personally, I wish we'd then pick up NC State and be done with it.

EatLeadCommie
9/18/2011, 04:16 PM
I'd rather see a divisional approach, frankly, with a couple of cross divisional games that may or may not count towards conference records.

badger
9/18/2011, 04:27 PM
I think the pod idea is interesting, because it sounds like every other football season each team gets at least one game in:
- California
- Granola country
- the mountains/desert
-Texas or only a few hours' drive from Texas.

You're looking a recruiting goldmine with one game in Texas/near Texas and California every other year.

BASSooner
9/18/2011, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't rely on the birdcage paper of TX for my info as they are nothing but a mouthpiece for UT who are trying to convince their fans this is a terrific. Scott said their network will be the same as the others. IMHO UT is blowing smoke because the last thing the PAC 12 would want is an unequal deal with TX who has a record of wanting to be favored.

My thoughts exactly. The reports about UT coming with us to the Pac16 were believable UNTIL I heard the part that they get to keep their network AND all the revenue from it. Of course, that's Chip Brown reporting so don't give him credibility on this one just yet.

UT can come in but best case for them is that their network is COMPLETELY modified for the sake of revenue distribution. If this story is actually true, than expect the schools to say hell no or USC respond with an, "oh really? Can we have a Trojan Network then?"

TMcGee86
9/18/2011, 04:43 PM
I think the pod idea is interesting, because it sounds like every other football season each team gets at least one game in:
- California
- Granola country
- the mountains/desert
-Texas or only a few hours' drive from Texas.

You're looking a recruiting goldmine with one game in Texas/near Texas and California every other year.

Yup yup. This can't come at a better time either, with our Cali trio sitting there as recruiting bait and the CA teams sucking hind tit right now.

Sabanball
9/18/2011, 04:56 PM
My thoughts exactly. The reports about UT coming with us to the Pac16 were believable UNTIL I heard the part that they get to keep their network AND all the revenue from it. Of course, that's Chip Brown reporting so don't give him credibility on this one just yet.

UT can come in but best case for them is that their network is COMPLETELY modified for the sake of revenue distribution. If this story is actually true, than expect the schools to say hell no or USC respond with an, "oh really? Can we have a Trojan Network then?"

We all knew all along that OU was the alpha male in this relationship and that UT would ultimately go wherever you guys went, right?....:smug:

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 05:05 PM
Yet, have you noticed the all-out media blitz whorn has done this weekend, posturing like they are the ones in control. First, they call a Regent's meeting Monday to coincide with OU's regularly scheduled meeting, then they spend the entire weekend "leaking" reports about their new interest in the PAC-12...countering all their previous "leaks" regarding Independence and the ACC.

OU remains quiet, awaiting their meeting.

Whorn screaming like a tired toddler on a long flight, making it, of course, all about them.

STFU whorn, I personally relish the return to separate conferences with a yearly game. It was so much more comfortable in First Class, not hearing the toddler behind us any longer.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 05:14 PM
I think this will do nothing but boost OUr image even more. We are no longer the sleeping giant as Stoops once said, we are the awaken giant who's about to become that much bigger. Watch out PAC, we are about to rock your world!

BudSooner
9/18/2011, 05:30 PM
ESPN just came on about this, said officials are meeting with members of OU/OSU/Texas/TT and that the deal would allow Texas to keep its network.

booomer
9/18/2011, 05:47 PM
Here's an article from the National Football Post: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Pac12-working-out-details-to-bring-in-Texas-and-OU.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

SoonerMarkVA
9/18/2011, 06:28 PM
Ugh. I hate that the Pac is allegedly making concessions on that abominable LHN. It doesn't set the right tone.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 06:36 PM
I just don't see the rest of the PAC going along with this -- the source is ESPN? Owners of the LHN?

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 06:39 PM
ESPN is using Urban's column which is a take-off of the bird cage paper article. UT uses Chip Brown, Orangebloods and the birdcage to spin and then websites and sports channels likes ESPN pick up the same spin that is put out.

I will believe it when I see it that UT gets a special deal over long time PAC schools.

ouwasp
9/18/2011, 06:46 PM
whatever happens, I just hope the Sooners don't have to play in Stillwater three yrs in a row!

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 06:53 PM
Kbohls is now saying that info is incorrect. Longhorns will be sharing its network with Tech -- the truth comes out!

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXeXm0uMDo

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 06:57 PM
Chimp claims the new revised network will be named, "The Pac16 Texas Network".

He really said that. Twice.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 06:59 PM
@BlairKerkhoffBlair Kerkhoff (Kansas City)

Pac-12 presidents on teleconf this afternoon to discuss Texas. Looking like Longhorns are in. Would go with OU, OSU, TT.

BASSooner
9/18/2011, 06:59 PM
Chimp claims the new revised network will be named, "The Pac16 Texas Network".

He really said that. Twice.
Does not compute

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 07:01 PM
UT had to give up their network to be admitted is what it is looking like. They will have a regional network like the AZ schools. That should be interesting trying to get UT and TT working together on their network.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 07:02 PM
Someone on Twitter which is moving so fast I cannot keep up said ours would be the PAC 12 Oklahoma Network; there is the PAC 12 Arizona network -- named for the states not the schools! :)

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 07:03 PM
Someone on Twitter which is moving so fast I cannot keep up said ours would be the PAC 12 Oklahoma Network; there is the PAC 12 Arizona network -- named for the states not the schools! :)

That makes sense. Makes for a small network in Utah though.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2011, 07:05 PM
I weep for the Big XII.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 07:07 PM
Looks like UT and CO are going to share a network -- the PAC 12 Mountain Network :)

Do not see how anyone can use Twitter -- it moves fast when things are breaking.

SapulpaSooner
9/18/2011, 07:09 PM
RIP BIG XII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsKZFFikWw&NR=1&feature=fvwp

BudSooner
9/18/2011, 07:14 PM
So the schools share revenue from the networks, I bet the Cali schools are PISSED! 2362

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 07:16 PM
Really believe that the Big 12 as strong as it is should have been the one out looking for schools but we probably have the worst Commissioner ever for a major conference who forgot he was the Commissioner of all the universities not just UT.

BB37
9/18/2011, 07:18 PM
AAS is reporting the same:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/09/18/official_potent.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

limey_sooner
9/18/2011, 07:18 PM
Whether you like OU, OSU, UT, or TTU going to the pac-12 (16) or not at least OU will be in a conference which is headed by Michael Corleone (Scott) instead of Fredo (Bebee)

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 07:19 PM
So the schools share revenue from the networks, I bet the Cali schools are PISSED! 2362

Dayum Bud, that is one bigazz smiley. Kinda evile.

SapulpaSooner
9/18/2011, 07:21 PM
So it looks like BOB will have to play MIKE now. Sorry Mike

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 07:23 PM
So it looks like BOB have to play MIKE now. Sorry Mike

I'm beginning to wonder. I watched that Stanford game last night. Shudder.

BudSooner
9/18/2011, 07:26 PM
Dayum Bud, that is one bigazz smiley. Kinda evile.I got tired of that sorry azz KennyG smiley.

And thankfully this 2363of a conference is finally put down.

soonervegas
9/18/2011, 07:28 PM
I am very happy this worked out so that we get to a stable conference, with that being said the fact that OU, Texas, A&M, and Nebraska couldn't keep the 2nd strongest conference together is a colossal failure.

Unfortunately, we didn't have someone at the top looking out for the conference as a whole.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 07:40 PM
I am very happy this worked out so that we get to a stable conference, with that being said the fact that OU, Texas, A&M, and Nebraska couldn't keep the 2nd strongest conference together is a colossal failure.

Unfortunately, we didn't have someone at the top looking out for the conference as a whole.

And if he tried, the Archbishop of Cownterbury plotted against every move.

SoonerMarkVA
9/18/2011, 08:11 PM

So now we have to see if the West-coast powers can keep ut at bay, or if we'll be looking for a new home in about 15 years :-/ Personally, I think they can (and will) so I'm really happy about this.

Soonerfan88
9/18/2011, 08:11 PM
AAS is reporting the same:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/09/18/official_potent.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

From what I can tell, everyone else is basing their reports off this single article. Yes, I believe those 4 teams are headed to the PAC but I have serious doubts Scott & Co. are giving UT such generous $$ terms. That is probably spin put out through whorn media stooges.

Dio
9/18/2011, 08:19 PM
So if the top 2 teams make the CCG regardless of what pod they're in, and the top seed hosts it, at some point UT will have to come play in Norman.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 08:21 PM
From what I can tell, everyone else is basing their reports off this single article. Yes, I believe those 4 teams are headed to the PAC but I have serious doubts Scott & Co. are giving UT such generous $$ terms. That is probably spin put out through whorn media stooges.

You have that right -- it was all based on the article from the birdcage Austin paper and Chip Brown. kbohls reported on Twitter that the LHN was going to morph into the PAC 12 Texas regional network with UT and Tech. PAC 12 Commissioners will meet as soon as the four schools apply although they are reporting in LA they had a conference call today.

King Barry's Back
9/18/2011, 08:22 PM

Yeah, I'm disappointed that Tech is joining us. Oh, well. Didn't ask my opinion. But if they had, btw, I would have suggested that we leave little sister behind, as well.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 08:22 PM
Word is leaking out the championship game with a 16-team league will rotate between the Rose Bowl and Jerry's World!

King Barry's Back
9/18/2011, 08:26 PM

Haha! That's the first time I've ever seen losing Baylor considered an example of scheduling down.

I think Baylor is going to improve/stabilize for a few years under Briles (unless conference realignment pulls the rug out), but then Briles will move on/get old and they'll fall back into their natural place.

I keep looking for that to happen to OSU by the way.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 08:38 PM
Word is leaking out the championship game with a 16-team league will rotate between the Rose Bowl and Jerry's World!

The end of the Fiesta Bowl and return of the Cotton to prominence as well.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/18/2011, 08:46 PM

But is it enough to beat a SEC team in a national championship game? Can't argue that they have been the best the last 5 or 6 years.

King Barry's Back
9/18/2011, 08:51 PM
The end of the Fiesta Bowl and return of the Cotton to prominence as well.

Shouldn't be the end of the Fiesta. If the Big XII brings it's Fiesta tie-in to the new PAC 16, that would be a great fit. This new PAC16 footprint is very favorable to Fiesta, SOCAL, TX/OK and the two local schools.

PAC 16 champ to the Rose, Fiesta gets second pick. If they don't accept second pick, it doesn't work, but that should still be a pretty attractive team for the Fiesta.

I expect that you are right in that the Cotton will try to use the new conference affiliation to build up it's standing to join the BCS, but it's hard to see how that would really make a difference, at least to me.

While taking the PAC16 second pick would be a step down for Fiesta, the Cotton would fight like hell to get that, but i can't see how that would help them land a BCS status.

Just to be clear, I think the Cotton SHOULD be a BCS bowl, and I think they probably will be in a few years when all this shakes out - I just don't really see how the new conference realignment really helps them.

One other thought in this thrown together and badly organized post, if there are going to be fewer, but bigger, conferences, then more bowls are going to have to accept that they won't get an AQ champion. Do the math. The Big XII looks extinct, and the Big East is either dead or extremely downgraded. Even if the East barely keeps its AQ status (I am guessing that they will), that's two less major conference champions out there to be chased by bowl games.

This new

King Barry's Back
9/18/2011, 08:53 PM
So if the top 2 teams make the CCG regardless of what pod they're in, and the top seed hosts it, at some point UT will have to come play in Norman.

WOW. Intriguing idea. And we'd eventually have to play in Austin. I guess now it looks like Rose Bowl/Jerry World as alternative sites -- are the Pacific NW schools going to agree to that? I know that they like to play in LA for recruiting, but still, I'd push for a rotation to Seattle if I was them.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 08:54 PM
George Schroeder who used to write for The Oklahoman but now writes for a west coast paper has an article saying that OU/OSU are pretty much a done deal but the PAC 12 is having trouble with UT and the LHN. http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index.php/opinions-on-sports/comments/pac-16-maybe-but-its-not-done-yet/

Scott has informally polled the President's and OU is in but looks like TX has to fold the network into the PAC 12 model or they will not be admitted. Saying the reports out of Austin are wrong. Just what we have been saying that it was spin out of Austin for their fan base. Bottom line UT/TT is not a done deal. OSU needs to realize who is getting them in the PAC 12 and it is not UT -- it is David Boren -- if I was Hargis I would tell that loud mouth Pickens to sit down and shut up.

okiedokie
9/18/2011, 09:16 PM
I still wish the BIG 10 would make some last grab at us and let little brother in as well, but oh well....on to the Pac

Jdog
9/18/2011, 09:22 PM
Pods are the only way we can play all teams once at home every four years

instigator
9/18/2011, 09:44 PM
Really believe that the Big 12 as strong as it is should have been the one out looking for schools but we probably have the worst Commissioner ever for a major conference who forgot he was the Commissioner of all the universities not just UT.

It still makes no sense. We are the second strongest football conference (even without #9 Nebraska). It is crazy that Beebe let UT do this to the conference. We have large media markets, (Houston, DFW, KC and St Louis). The Big 12 should have made a fortune and been able to keep everyone happy. I can't help but blame UT since everyone else would be happy with even money (I think OU would be ok with it). I realize that we get more money than most schools. I understand it, but that is what kills a conference. The Pac 16 better force UT to come in as an equal or there will be problems there too.

instigator
9/18/2011, 09:50 PM
Dup post.

soonervegas
9/18/2011, 09:51 PM
Let's hope a Oklahoma v. Nebraska Rose Bowl happens soon......

OUinFLA
9/18/2011, 09:57 PM
check this post for a nice display of helmets for the "new" Pac-16.

http://usc.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=521&mid=163055237&sid=995&tid=163049431&style=1

reading around the USC boards, they seem mostly positive about the four teams coming aboard.

PLaw
9/18/2011, 09:59 PM
Do you really think any conference alignment with * will be stable? History clearly shows that is not likely. I really hate that we are going to be saddled with * moving forward. Hopefully, the PAC will not allow * with their TLN/LHN (?).

I'm still hoping we can make TAMU see the foolishness of their SEC man-crush and work out a deal of OU-OSU-TTU-TAMU to the PAC. * can keep their TLN/LHN (?) and everybody wins! Of course, I've got a better chance of winning the The Masters next year than this move ever happening.

Guess we just have to used to be tied to *. And, Boren, will never acheive the stability he seeks.

BOOMER

PLaw
9/18/2011, 10:07 PM
So now we have to see if the West-coast powers can keep ut at bay, or if we'll be looking for a new home in about 15 years :-/ Personally, I think they can (and will) so I'm really happy about this.

They will be looking if they cannot consistently win the conference. Their lack of success after Houston joined the SWC and the rise of the money express on the hilltop made them pull the plug on the SWC. Oklahoma's dominance of the Big 12 made them look for advantages with cash cows which caused Nebbish and TAMU to bolt. * will destroy any conference where they cannot be the center of the universe and dominant on the field of play.

BOOMER

ouflak
9/19/2011, 02:14 AM
There is still hope this PAC thing falls through. If they will just stand their ground on two key points:

1. No OU without Texas.

2. No Texas with LHN

We might still have a good shot at getting into the SEC.

silverwheels
9/19/2011, 02:36 AM
Hope for who?

ouflak
9/19/2011, 02:56 AM
Me I guess. I'd love to see us in the SEC. Those would be some magnificent games. Also, geographically it's better for my ability to actually see the games.