PDA

View Full Version : Landry's picks...

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 12:40 PM
were absolutely atrocious, bone headed poor decisions.

Pick 1 - He must have been trying to throw it away, but man...not smart.

Pick 2 - Bracketed double coverage the whole way...boneheaded.

That being said, he made some great throws last night and I'm glade he's our QB! I expect him to grow from this experience and make smarter decisions, after about a dozen face palms :cower: during his tape review. He seems to have an "it factor" for winning big games. Standford 09', * 10', osu 10', Neb 10', Uconn 10' and now FSU 11'. I like his resolve...

Widescreen
9/18/2011, 12:41 PM
He'll play any sucker in the country.

AzianSooner
9/18/2011, 12:43 PM
OC didn't call a stellar game either.

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 12:45 PM
I thought he got rattled a time or two, tried to do things too fast, and made some mistakes. He came through in the end and should be more composed the next time he's in a similar situation.

cleller
9/18/2011, 12:49 PM
He'll play any sucker in the country.

This was not what he had planned!

madillsoonerfan5353
9/18/2011, 01:18 PM
He did have some bone head throws eat the first one and don't throw the second one. But the kid is a gamer and in the clutch won another big game, kinda like Coach Hype back in the day. Not always the best game stats but at the end of the day he finds a way to win in a great way. I'm glad he is our qb!!!

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 01:21 PM
He looks so goofy with his deer look and mouth open, but he really is another of an amazing line of QBs for us and has won me over like Young after Montana.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 01:27 PM
That was about as hostile an environment that he's going to be in. He got a W. I'm stoked about the rest of the year.

Dan Thompson
9/18/2011, 01:37 PM
I thought Broyles made a mistake on fielding this punt, but the 3 penilties didn't help.

13:09

4th

FlaSt

4th & 15 at FlaSt25

Powell punts. Broyles returns 4 yards to the Okla9. Oklahoma penalized -7 yards.

12:56

4th

Okla

1st & 10 at Okla2

Whaley rush left for 1 yard to the Okla3.

12:38

4th

Okla

2nd & 9 at Okla3

Whaley rush middle for 3 yards to the Okla6.

12:01

4th

Okla

3rd & 6 at Okla6

Jones incomplete pass to the middle.

11:36

4th

Okla

4th & 6 at Okla6

Oklahoma penalized -3 yards.

4th

Okla

4th & 9 at Okla3

Oklahoma penalized -2 yards.

4th

Okla

4th & 11 at Okla1

Way punts. No return. Ball on FlaSt38.

11:29

4th

FlaSt

1st & 10 at Okla38

Trickett sacked by Washington for -2 yards to the Okla40.

10:49

4th

FlaSt

2nd & 12 at Okla40

Florida State penalized -10 yards.

10:30

4th

FlaSt

2nd & 22 at 50

Trickett rush for -6 yards to the FlaSt44.

9:50

4th

FlaSt

3rd & 28 at FlaSt44

Trickett pass completion to the left to Greene for 56 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

picasso
9/18/2011, 01:39 PM
I thought he got rattled a time or two, tried to do things too fast, and made some mistakes. He came through in the end and should be more composed the next time he's in a similar situation.
That could be because that DE was in the backfield for nearly 2 quarters.

FaninAma
9/18/2011, 01:39 PM
I thought Huepel called a decent game. I would have liked to have seen more slants and passes in the middle of the field although that may have been due to the defensive scheme FSU was using.

Seamus
9/18/2011, 01:53 PM
OC didn't call a stellar game either.

You do realize that is the most athletic defense we will face all year, save LSU or Alabama? Not to mention, they have the benefit of being coached by a friggin' Stoops.

Heupel called a fine game. That was a hell of a defense we played last night.

As for Landry, I'll grant you that on the 2nd pick he got greedy and shouldn't have thrown that one. But on the first, he clearly got hit on the throw, affecting the pass. You can't call that "bonehead."

Widescreen
9/18/2011, 01:54 PM
I thought Huepel called a decent game. I would have liked to have seen more slants and passes in the middle of the field although that may have been due to the defensive scheme FSU was using.
I would've liked that too. My hunch, however, is that Heupel knows more about football than I do.

OUTrumpet
9/18/2011, 01:57 PM

Go rewatch that play. It was a playaction pass, with the majority of eligible receivers in to block to really try to sell it. We had only 2 receivers that ran routes. One of which was blanketed coverage on the near sideline, and blanketed coverage downfield. It was 3rd down, I'm assuming part of the play call was just take a shot with Stills, see if he gets it. If they get a pick, it's still field position like a punt.

jiminy
9/18/2011, 02:14 PM
Actually, it was first down, and we had just ripped off a couple of nice running plays

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 02:15 PM
As for Landry, I'll grant you that on the 2nd pick he got greedy and shouldn't have thrown that one. But on the first, he clearly got hit on the throw, affecting the pass. You can't call that "bonehead."

Yes, his arm was hit by the rusher, but it looks like he's trying to lob to D Miller who's well covered. Does not seem wise to me.

EatLeadCommie
9/18/2011, 02:22 PM
were absolutely atrocious, bone headed poor decisions.

Pick 1 - He must have been trying to throw it away, but man...not smart.

That being said, he made some great throws last night and I'm glade he's our QB! I expect him to grow from this experience and make smarter decisions, after about a dozen face palms :cower: during his tape review. He seems to have an "it factor" for winning big games. Standford 09', * 10', osu 10', Neb 10', Uconn 10' and now FSU 11'. I like his resolve...
If he hasn't learned to make smarter decisions with the ball by now, he never will. I think we just have to accept that when the pressure is on, and even if it isn't, he is inevitably going to make a stupid decision with the ball.

However, he does have an incredible resilience and tendency to overcome those bad decisions. But between those bad decisions and Jimmy Stevens kicking field goals and extra point an inch over the crossbar, there are bound to be some heart attacks while watching Sooner games this year.

OUTrumpet
9/18/2011, 02:34 PM
Actually, it was first down, and we had just ripped off a couple of nice running plays

Really? Hmm...but still, we had 2 receivers running routes, both of which were double-covered :distress:

Seamus
9/18/2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, his arm was hit by the rusher, but it looks like he's trying to lob to D Miller who's well covered. Does not seem wise to me.

I highlighted the key phrase. We actually don't know if this is the case.

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 02:45 PM
I highlighted the key phrase. We actually don't know if this is the case.

No doubt. But, I'd venture to guess Landry face palmed that one on play back. IMO...

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5bc3jANq1qerq7wo1_r1_250.gif

sperry
9/18/2011, 02:51 PM
Landry is immensely talented, but I don't get the feeling that he's particularly smart. This has resulted in some unthinkably bad desicions in just about every game we've played away from Owen field against decent competition. That being said, his positives have typically outweighed the negatives, and I was shocked at how little we threw the ball last night, and it almost cost us. 23 points is not going to win us the game against aTm or Mizzou, or anyone we play in the BCS championship.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone who masters our offensive scheme, I consider smart.

agoo758
9/18/2011, 04:31 PM
Probably already said in this thread, but I was surprised how he ran a bunch of pass plays without a lot of receivers. I was watching Broyles or Still in double coverage without any other Crimson jerseys in the area

OUmillenium
9/18/2011, 05:39 PM
LJ is a very good qb, but not great. The game plan has been schemed to take away a lot of check downs despite what coach speak you may here. And wisely so.

LJ only has success when option 1 for the play is open or in 50/50 coverage.

Still like our chances in every game.

And we get Mizzou/TAM at home so they will get lit up like a Christmas tree. I will be surprised if either game is within 25 points if our D keeps playing like this. TAM a little overrated this year, just wait and see.

SoonerMarkVA
9/18/2011, 06:37 PM
LJ's smart enough, but he seems to lack mental toughness. The good thing, though, is that he seems to shake off his mistakes, so a boneheaded mistake doesn't cause yet another boneheaded mistake. But last night, there is no doubt that he was rattled.

That said, his O line wasn't doing him, or the running backs, any favors. 2nd and 3rd Qs were pretty embarrassing for the consistent penetration that FSU D was getting. I really believe that front 7 for FSU is damn good, but our line should have held up better.

JLMSOONER
9/18/2011, 06:51 PM
Landry hasn't been sacked much and I don't think he likes it much either. It seems like when the heat is in his face he may panick a little. The deer in the headlights look is priceless, but I don't think it is because he isn't smart. Landry is a good QB but he will make a mistake or 2 on occasion, but who doesn't. Seems like we may have gotten a few turnovers as well and should have had one on the play that KO'd Shaw, so he isn't the only one that makes mistakes. I like our chances with him! If I'm not mistaken, he owns a few OU passing records. You don't get those by being a slouch. By the way, Ou vs. FSU on ESPNU right now. Just punted ofater Worts INT.

ictsooner7
9/18/2011, 07:09 PM

Really? you mean the two tight ends inside the 5 twice and did get a TD either time? Lousy play calling.

OutlandTrophy
9/18/2011, 07:16 PM
since when can we on this board be openly critical of individual performances ?

It's in poor taste to say, "were absolutely atrocious, bone headed poor decisions." about what a student athlete has done.

Grow up, get some perspective.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 07:21 PM
Really? you mean the two tight ends inside the 5 twice and did get a TD either time? Lousy execution.

fify
smh

MR2-Sooner86
9/18/2011, 07:25 PM
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick some of you need to shut the **** up.

He passed Sam Bradford's all time passing yards. He made some interceptions in a VERY hostile environment against a VERY good and athletic defense.

Even if he didn't make smart decisions, he made it up on that last drive to march down the field, and throw that TD pass to Stills right on the money.

You'd think by some of you we lost the game.

btb916
9/18/2011, 07:25 PM
I thought those interceptions were bad decisions, and I was surprised he made those decisions.

I was also surprised at how little we threw the ball. The few times we threw down the field we had great success for the most part (outside of that second interception). But you can't do that all night long...

Ultimately it's not surprising we struggled on offense. When two very good teams match up, that tends to happen.

85sooners
9/18/2011, 08:35 PM
**** off lj haters!!!!

SoonerOX
9/18/2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, he made some mistakes, but hot damn he came through big for us. I'm just fine with his performance given the circumstances. How many times have opposing QBs rebounded at our house?

dennis580
9/19/2011, 06:29 AM
I only had a problem with the first pick. That was just one of those inexcusable head scratchers.

Pick 2 was the right decision by Landry. We had been very conservative for a long time, and simply needed to take a home run shot at that point. It ended up being a real good punt. That was a ball Landry needed to throw despite the bracket double coverage as the offense had become totally stagnant at that point, and we really, really needed to try to do something to spark the offense

SoonerInFortSmith
9/19/2011, 07:29 AM
Fact of the matter is if he hadn't overthrown the ball by a step or two Stills has at least a decent chance of coming down with that ball. And we were in max protect. Broyles was the only other receiver in a route. He ran a short out and was bracketed also. If landry tries to squeeze it in to him its a pick 6. Overall I think throwing a jump ball to stills is a pretty decent option. Just have to throw it on the back shoulder so he has a chance.

Spray
9/19/2011, 11:31 AM
23 points will certainly win us a BCS Championship if our defense plays like it did Saturday. Also, 23 points has been enough to beat us in our last 3 title game appearances.

Defense wins championships- maybe it's time we try that old cliche on for size.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/19/2011, 11:56 AM
Being healthy also wins championships. Outside of the USC debacle where Oklahoma was actually a healthy team (and the 2000 squad as well), Oklahoma has had some seriously back luck in regards to key starter injuries. Starters can be replaced, key starters cannot be.

swardboy
9/19/2011, 12:22 PM
I'm a hopin' LJ is in the mood for retaliation against Mizzou...they need to be put in their place after last year's debacle.

cvsooner
9/19/2011, 01:15 PM
I only had a problem with the first pick. That was just one of those inexcusable head scratchers.

Pick 2 was the right decision by Landry. We had been very conservative for a long time, and simply needed to take a home run shot at that point. It ended up being a real good punt. That was a ball Landry needed to throw despite the bracket double coverage as the offense had become totally stagnant at that point, and we really, really needed to try to do something to spark the offense

This.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 01:21 PM

Interesting, because I had the exact opposite feeling! The first pick he was trying to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, but he waited too late and got hit. But I at least consider that one a forced error from good defense. On the second one, I too like the call to stretch the field, but LJ was not under pressure and should have recognized the coverage and thrown it away. Unforced error. And yes it was as good as a punt, but it was 1st down. Even ultra conservative Switzer didn't quick kick on first down :)

NormanPride
9/19/2011, 01:32 PM
We sucked passing the ball because that DE of theirs was killing us on every play and we had to keep a couple extra guys in to give Landry time. I don't think there are many of him out there, so we should be better the rest of the season. I want to shut some fools out, though. I think this D has it in them.

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2011, 03:57 PM
Fact of the matter is if he hadn't overthrown the ball by a step or two Stills has at least a decent chance of coming down with that ball. And we were in max protect. Broyles was the only other receiver in a route. He ran a short out and was bracketed also. If landry tries to squeeze it in to him its a pick 6. Overall I think throwing a jump ball to stills is a pretty decent option. Just have to throw it on the back shoulder so he has a chance.
The main problem with that second pick is he didn't look at any other options. He snapped it, looked at Stills, and threw to Stills, who was in double coverage. Not the first time he has done that at OU, and I doubt it will be the last.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2011, 04:28 PM
We sucked passing the ball because that DE of theirs was killing us on every play and we had to keep a couple extra guys in to give Landry time. I don't think there are many of him out there, so we should be better the rest of the season. I want to shut some fools out, though. I think this D has it in them.

Part of the reason may have been Lane Johnson since he is effectively 3rd string and new to the position. Williams was hurt, and of course the real starter would be Jones. They were very high on Williams because he stepped up and took charge of the position after Jones got hurt in the spring game. I take that to mean he was the clear winner of the competition with a dropoff to the other guys. But to be fair, I saw Stevenson get beat by that german guy too.

SyN
9/19/2011, 04:30 PM
If Landry has @ least 3 seconds to find the open receiver...He can pick any team in the country apart... Hence the reason he needs to be in the shot gun 3/4 of the time... He Can Not Scramble!!!! OUs offensive line still has tons of work to do... As well the receivers are horrible @ down field blocking... Stills left Ryan B... out to dry 2 times, that Ryan could have had a large gain...Both Times!

Once Landry gets knocked on his A$$ a few times... And is pressured hard the rest of the time... You can count on a few INTs are coming...The Kid just can't scramble... He would rather fall on the ground...

One Game @ a Time!!! Everyone Stays Healthy!!! Offense and Defense keeps Improving!! OU will be in the Title Game again... Landry Might even bring home the Heisman?

BUT!! If you don't get to him... He will kick your A$$!!! He is a great drop back passer, that just can't run... Our OL just needs to give him that extra second or two too find that open receiver...

God forbid We get to the BCS title game and have to play LSU... That is one Awesome Defensive Team... But Offense is Horrid... They will bring the heat every down at Landry...As well as Alabama... Be very low scoring games, as long as OU defense keeps getting better...

One Game at a Time!! And Everyone Stays Healthy!! Each Week Offense and Defense keeps Improving!!! OU will be in the Title Game...