20.TCU
21.Clemson
22.Michigan
23.USC
24.Illinois
25.Georgia Tech

Jacie
9/18/2011, 12:16 PM
I thought Notre Dame would re-enter the Top 25 after finally winning a game . . .

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 12:20 PM
AP poll means nothing.

Coaches Poll, OU has 50 first place votes. Florida State falls to 14.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 12:21 PM
Rank Team (first-place votes) Record Points Last week's poll
1. Oklahoma (50) 2-0 1,463 1
2. Alabama (4) 3-0 1,402 2
3. LSU (5) 3-0 1,373 3
4. Boise State 2-0 1,212 4
5. Stanford 3-0 1,208 6
6. Oklahoma State 3-0 1,126 7
7. Wisconsin 3-0 1,121 8
8. Texas A&M 2-0 1,033 9
9. Nebraska 3-0 966 10
10. South Carolina 3-0 876 11
11. Virginia Tech 3-0 852 12
12. Arkansas 3-0 851 13
13. Oregon 2-1 804 14
14. Florida State 2-1 801 5
15. Florida 3-0 670 17
16. West Virginia 3-0 529 20
17. South Florida 3-0 485 22
18. Texas 3-0 464 21
19. Baylor 2-0 391 24
20. TCU 2-1 310 23
21. Michigan 3-0 243 NR
22. Clemson 3-0 181 NR
23. Michigan State 2-1 119 15
24. Georgia Tech 3-0 118 NR
25. North Carolina 3-0 99 NR

Widescreen
9/18/2011, 12:21 PM
Coaches like us more than the writers it seems.

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 12:23 PM
BCS= Coaches + Harris + Computers

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 12:25 PM
Coaches like us more than the writers it seems.

Much of the response from writers to last night's win in Tallahassee has been tepid. They wanted an upset, and since they didn't get it, they resumed their love for the SEC.

I have read three columns that indicated OU did nothing last night to improve their position, and one that admitted LSU was going to be their #1, no matter what OU did in their game.

swardboy
9/18/2011, 12:26 PM
Which poll do we hold the 100 week record in?

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 12:29 PM
Which poll do we hold the 100 week record in?

AP

DCsooner22
9/18/2011, 12:30 PM
Too bad I can't say four Big 12 teams in the Top Ten...

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 12:33 PM
AP poll means nothing.

Coaches Poll, OU has 50 first place votes. Florida State falls to 14.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

JLEW,

While the AP poll has no computation in the BCS formulas, the writers heavily influence what other voters, Harris and Coaches, think about who goes where. These voters cannot watch every game and often rely on news reports from local outlets to determine their rankings. It has become fashionable for AP voters to publish their rankings in the Sunday paper each week.

That is why ESPN's constant promotion of the SEC is so vile. They literally drum it into the heads of viewers, the majesty of the SEC, all the while commercially partnering with them with broadcast rights. Now that ESPN has the BCS games, it is obviously to their benefit to have their partner in as many BCS bowls as possible.

Remember not long ago when this "SEC is the greatest" BS started? It didn't used to be this way...it has slowly become simply accepted. Of course, 5 BCS championships has helped.

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 12:37 PM
JLEW,

While the AP poll has no computation in the BCS formulas, the writers heavily influence what other voters, Harris and Coaches, think about who goes where. These voters cannot watch every game and often rely on news reports from local outlets to determine their rankings. It has become fashionable for AP voters to publish their rankings in the Sunday paper each week.

That is why ESPN's constant promotion of the SEC is so vile. They literally drum it into the heads of viewers, the majesty of the SEC, all the while commercially partnering with them with broadcast rights. Now that ESPN has the BCS games, it is obviously to their benefit to have their partner in as many BCS bowls as possible.

Remember not long ago when this "SEC is the greatest" BS started? It didn't used to be this way...it has slowly become simply accepted. Of course, 5 BCS championships has helped.

Coaches gave us 50 first place votes.

yah, i now the AP gets looked at by the Coaches. But having better success in the Coaches poll, regardless of it's a bcs factor or not, is better.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 12:38 PM
We control our destiny.

Can't get any better than that.

JLEW1818
9/18/2011, 12:41 PM
That is true. And I do wish that the AP would re-join the BCS. It's so much better than the Harris.

picasso
9/18/2011, 12:46 PM
We control our destiny.

Can't get any better than that.
Yep, and LSU will lose to Bama.

BigTip
9/18/2011, 12:50 PM
Pretty far fall for 'Noles for hanging with the #1 team in the land.

No Sooner respect. What a surprise. (rolls eyes)

If we win out, do we have to worry? I would think our SOS is going to look pretty good by the end.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 12:53 PM
and of course * is moving up the ranks like mad

SoonerofAlabama
9/18/2011, 12:53 PM

If we win out, do we have to worry? I would think our SOS is going to look pretty good by the end.

Don't think it's no respect for the Sooners. Oregon was beaten by around the same margin, 13 points or so, and they dropped ten spots. #3 to #13. FSU went from #5 to #11.

cleller
9/18/2011, 12:57 PM
I thought Notre Dame would re-enter the Top 25 after finally winning a game . . .

Right on, man. What is the psychosis with these has-beens? They haven't been a contender in over 15 years, but still it continues. Now that they have 1 win, they're suddenly BCS contenders.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 01:08 PM
OU's #1 votes totals went up this week, from last week, in both polls.

I'll take that respect any day.

Now we throttle a ranked Misery and continue to simply "do the work".

Saw it in Coach Stoops' eyes last night, this season means a lot to him.

BigTip
9/18/2011, 01:10 PM
I forgot to say:

101 !

Widescreen
9/18/2011, 01:56 PM
Now we throttle a ranked Misery and continue to simply "do the work".

Mizzou's not ranked.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 01:58 PM
Ooops.

Thought they were.

:jaded:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/18/2011, 02:03 PM
I Saw it in Coach Stoops' eyes last night, this season means a lot to him.No shiite!!! I think he's heard just about enough "Big Game Bob" crap.

Sabanball
9/18/2011, 02:35 PM
JLEW,

Eh,... ya think? Hmmm....let me see...yup, I'd say that has had just a little bit to do with it!

I think the rankings are about right. I don't think there's any question right now that you guys and LSU should be 1-2.

Congrats again on the big win last night.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2011, 02:37 PM

No respect? You're still #1, right? Surely you're getting some respect.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 02:46 PM
[/B]

Eh,... ya think?

Sure, but that doesn't excuse my previous paragraphs in my post.

I also find it illogical to conclude that just because a conference champion is successful, that means their conference is the best. Doesn't compute. Using that argument, each champion makes their conference the best by default.

There is no way to actually determine which team or conference is better, unless they all play each other. It remains, and always will remain, subjective.

soonerhubs
9/18/2011, 02:48 PM
I'd like to know the names of the two media hacks that seem to always make first place votes for Blind Squirrel U. Didn't Boise State's 4 game season go on Haitus until like Mid November anyways?

soonerhubs
9/18/2011, 02:50 PM

I also find it illogical to conclude that just because a conference champion is successful, that means their conference is the best. Doesn't compute. Using that argument, each champion makes their conference the best by default.

There is no way to actually determine which team or conference is better, unless they all play each other. It remains, and always will remain, subjective.

You are so wrong! ;) Don't you know it's the conference with the loudest and proudest chant?

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 02:52 PM
You are so wrong! ;) Don't you know it's the conference with the loudest and proudest chant?

Well, I've been known to suck.

wait.

nm

SoonerObsession
9/18/2011, 02:56 PM
FSU slipping to #14 seems harsh, but how can you put any of the those teams behind them when they have no losses? OU is getting tons of respect this year. More than usual in my opinion.

Sabanball
9/18/2011, 03:06 PM

Ok, I'll bite.....this is getting soooo old.

I would grant you that argument if only one-two teams from the SEC had won BCS championships, but that hasn't been the case. The SEC has won 7 titles since the BCS was started, the next best is your Big 12 with 2. UF, UA, AU, Tenn, and LSU have all won at least once. Taken collectively, I'd say that most reasonable people, including those that negotiate tv/conference/ network deals, would conclude that, up to this point, the SEC is the strongest conference when it comes to football--for whatever that's worth, which must be a lot, because it seems many of you keep bringing it up!

Believe me, though, even though I don't agree with it, I understand all the SEC- bashing and hate-- because the SEC teams up until now have kicked the crap out of all these other conferences every time they've played them on the big stage. Whether it's UF blasting OSU, LSU/UF beating you guys, Bama drilling Texas, or the barn beating Oregon, the SEC has just flat-out dominated the other guys.......and they hate us for it.

soonerhubs
9/18/2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, I'll bite.....this is getting soooo old.

I would grant you that argument if only one-two teams from the SEC had won BCS championships, but that hasn't been the case. The SEC has won 7 titles since the BCS was started, the next best is your Big 12 with 2. UF, UA, AU, Tenn, and LSU have all won at least once. Taken collectively, I'd say that most reasonable people, including those that negotiate tv/conference/ network deals, would conclude that, up to this point, the SEC is the strongest conference when it comes to football--for whatever that's worth, which must be a lot, because it seems many of you keep bringing it up!

Believe me, though, even though I don't agree with it, I understand all the SEC- bashing and hate-- because the SEC teams up until now have kicked the crap out of all these other conferences every time they've played them on the big stage. Whether it's UF blasting OSU, LSU/UF beating you guys, Bama drilling Texas, or the barn beating Oregon, the SEC has just flat-out dominated the other guys.......and they hate us for it.

I think Alabama is a fine program with amazing tradition.

However, I have no respect for any conference that has had such pathetic standards regarding oversigning and greyshirting, and up to recently a few schools in that "power" conference have abused the hell out of students in the name of "quality" on the field. LSU and Ole Miss come to mind.

Also, that watered down title that a 2-loss team won a few years ago is sort of a joke.

However, if it helps some fan's egos? S E C! S E C! Honestly I saw an Alabama fan bragging about Auburn's victory last year, and that's just something I canNOT relate to. I couldn't give 3 ****s if that bevo infested organization to the south won anything for the rest of its existence.

Finally, to illustrate Lott's point: Would anyone try to argue that the Big East was the best conference in 2001? I highly doubt it.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 03:33 PM
Saban,

What is getting old is the exaggerated blow-fest that comes from you (a welcome member of this board) and every other SEC pontificator that chooses to get on a weird conference bandwagon and make statements like "kicked the crap out of all these conferences".

UF, UA, AU, Tenn and LSU did not beat a conference. They beat another team. When OU and Whorn won their games, there was no sick conference Rebelflaglike teabagfest proclaiming the BigXII as the bestest conference. All this regional chest-thumping parallels the "South's gonna rise again" mentality that is pervasive in what is actually my motherland.

You use the term "conclude". Subjective.

No reasonable person HATES a conference...IMO, but they can hate the hyperbole that is forced down our throats continuously, especially when it is done for strategic commercial gain, like CBS/ESPN does.

It is especially vile in a system that relies on POLLS to determine who gets to play for millions of $$$$ and thereby influences those that are bombarded with the rhetoric continuously.

ESPN has become the SEC's FOXNews, or if you prefer, the SEC's CNN. (I used FN first, considering the demographic)

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2011, 03:38 PM
And considering OU vs. LSU and OU vs. Florida in their respective championship games, neither instance equates to having "the crap kicked" out of them.

Oh, wait. My bad. SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!

OUmillenium
9/18/2011, 05:56 PM
Long overdo for some SEC fail.