PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on OU...

Dan Thompson
9/18/2011, 10:36 AM
not trying to score, when they had the ball on the 10 yard line with about 1:18 left in the game.

ratherthanlater
9/18/2011, 10:38 AM
They had the game won. Why risk the noles returning a fumble or int for a td and then letting golden shoe tie it up after an onside kick? Better safe than sorry when it comes to the W.

Dan Thompson
9/18/2011, 10:40 AM
How about a field goal.

SapulpaSooner
9/18/2011, 10:41 AM
We do not need to score there we had the 5 team beat on the road. we prove our point

85sooners
9/18/2011, 10:41 AM
no need to score why pad the score?

delhalew
9/18/2011, 10:43 AM
Unnecessary. I am not a guy that says don't run up the score, but when your done your done.

DCsooner22
9/18/2011, 10:44 AM
B/c the Victory Formation is the best offense a team can run...

Dan Thompson
9/18/2011, 10:45 AM
I think we all seen games where teams do score no apparent reason, just to rub-it-in.

I thought it showed some class on our part. I think FSU would be more apt to score on us if things where turned around.

C&CDean
9/18/2011, 10:45 AM
What a stupid thread.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/18/2011, 10:47 AM
What we did, was the only smart thing to do.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 10:49 AM
If you saw how genuinely upset Bob was when he and his brother met at the center of the field, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.

hawaii 5-0
9/18/2011, 10:50 AM
Good sports don't run it up. It served no purpose except to some gamblers concerned about the point spread.

5-0

GottaHavePride
9/18/2011, 10:50 AM
1. Class. We have it.
2. No need to risk getting a guy seriously injured when the game is in the bag. They had no timeouts and we were up by 10.

btb916
9/18/2011, 10:58 AM
Huh? I think you are the only person on the planet to think trying to score would have been a good idea. That game was over, and that's an objective fact.

limey_sooner
9/18/2011, 11:07 AM
Why risk a turnover that would at least give FSU a chance to score and then recover an onsides kicks? Extremely unlikely I know but why even give them a chance?

The Ghost of Mex
9/18/2011, 11:10 AM
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/roryworldwide/GIFS/Confused.gif

cherokeebrewer
9/18/2011, 11:10 AM
What a stupid thread.
ditto

btb916
9/18/2011, 11:14 AM
When I read this I feel like Bob watching Jimmy's field goal. But this is worse, because it's as if Jimmy missed, and there's no relief for me at the end.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/files/2011/09/Stoopsface1.jpg

Boomer.....
9/18/2011, 11:15 AM
Classy.

AzianSooner
9/18/2011, 11:19 AM
My feeling is that if we play for the National Championship game right now to any team in this country, we will do the dog fight to the end.

My feeling tells me that Defense is ready and Offense will only getting better and better by November 30th.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 11:23 AM
It's not even a question of class - it's just smart football.

And the question of a FG - you must be kidding!? After Bob's face-palm on the last one?

Keller Sooner
9/18/2011, 11:55 AM
Both teams had left it all on the field. It reminded me of one of those classic Sooner - Husker battles of the past. To me, it would have been classless and unnecessary. Sometimes you take a knee in honor of the game and the warriors that played.

budbarrybob
9/18/2011, 11:58 AM
not trying to score, when they had the ball on the 10 yard line with about 1:18 left in the game.

What are your thoughts? Your post leads us to believe that we should have attempted to score. I'm glad we didn't. It would have looked classless. Kinda a aggie thing to do. Leach would have done it IMHO, though.

cherokeebrewer
9/18/2011, 12:16 PM
Both teams had left it all on the field. It reminded me of one of those classic Sooner - Husker battles of the past. To me, it would have been classless and unnecessary. Sometimes you take a knee in honor of the game and the warriors that played.

Absolutely! Good words...

cvsooner
9/18/2011, 01:41 PM
Scoring a meaningless try, either FG or TD, late, when you've got the game won and you're up by ten, is the sports equivalent of greed. And as we've all been taught, greed is one of the original sins. Don't be greedy. We have the win and that's enough.

delhalew
9/18/2011, 01:44 PM
This is one of several conversations I have a hard time believing we are having.

picasso
9/18/2011, 01:44 PM
Dude, seriously?

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 01:47 PM
If you saw how genuinely upset Bob was when he and his brother met at the center of the field, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.
^^
this exactly

Widescreen
9/18/2011, 01:48 PM
Three reasons:

1) What everyone else said
2) Stoops doesn't do that to Stoops
3) Can you imagine the outcry if we'd kicked it and someone suffered a season-ending injury?

Not worth it. At all.

virginiasooner
9/18/2011, 03:06 PM
I thought that was a good move. Game was won, point was made. However, if this was Texas, A&M, Nebraska, or the Pokes, I'd say cram it down their throats.

XFollower
9/18/2011, 04:01 PM
It's Bob's brother and OU is a team of class. Not like LSU, FSU, and many others.

SouthFortySooner
9/18/2011, 04:20 PM
I think we all seen games where teams do score no apparent reason, just to rub-it-in.

I thought it showed some class on our part. I think FSU would be more apt to score on us if things where turned around.

The grammer police don't not like this thread neither.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 04:20 PM
I remember a game against CU in Norman when I was a student back in the jurassic era. OU jumped to an early lead, but played like crap in the 2nd half and CU had a furious comeback. CU scored a TD with little time left to make it 21-20 OU. This was before OT, and the CU coach decided to go for the tie amidst a storm of "Booos". They missed the extra point and OU took a knee or 2 to run out the clock after getting the ball. Some fan was yelling at Larry Lacewell, the OC, as he left field on why he didn't try to move the ball instead of taking a knee. He replied "we didn't want to run up the score on them".

Position Limit
9/18/2011, 04:36 PM
are people really this stupid around here? did everybody take retard pills this morning? good grief. it has nothing to do with class (god i get tired of that crap when it comes to fans and football) and it has nothing to do with stoops "running the score up" on his brother. he hung darn near 50 on him last year. so no thats not it. and what exactly would running it up really mean? like 7 more points means some kind of blowout in a tight game? so no that's not it either. so lets try to another theory shall we cavemen? maybe it was basic smart football? i mean, take a knee and head to the showers with a victory and give the other team no chance to get the ball back. i know it's not sexy but the point to the game is to win. or they could get a bunch of cro-mags to sit around and debate the virtues of "running it up" or "little brother might cry" or debate "class". like dean wrote earlier, this thread is STUPID. i'll add embarrassing too. original poster should be suspended.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 05:10 PM
are people really this stupid around here? did everybody take retard pills this morning? good grief. it has nothing to do with class (god i get tired of that crap when it comes to fans and football) and it has nothing to do with stoops "running the score up" on his brother. he hung darn near 50 on him last year. so no thats not it. and what exactly would running it up really mean? like 7 more points means some kind of blowout in a tight game? so no that's not it either. so lets try to another theory shall we cavemen? maybe it was basic smart football? i mean, take a knee and head to the showers with a victory and give the other team no chance to get the ball back. i know it's not sexy but the point to the game is to win. or they could get a bunch of cro-mags to sit around and debate the virtues of "running it up" or "little brother might cry" or debate "class". like dean wrote earlier, this thread is STUPID. i'll add embarrassing too. original poster should be suspended.

Forget to take your tolerance pill this morning?

yankee
9/18/2011, 05:35 PM
We just wanted to show zero state how the victory formation is done properly.

Dan Thompson
9/18/2011, 05:45 PM
After FSU showed OU some cheap shots I thought taking a knee after we had the game in the bag was somthing they would probably not understand.

OU is a much more 'poised' team than FSU and I think it showed at the end of the game.

cccasooner2
9/18/2011, 06:06 PM
I'm embarrassed to be reading this thread.

sooner KB
9/18/2011, 06:14 PM
After FSU showed OU some cheap shots

What cheap shots?

PLaw
9/18/2011, 08:04 PM

It's called winning with class. Game was over and no need for "style" points. It was a
great victory and should be considered an instant classic.

Boomer

Peach Fuzz
9/18/2011, 08:09 PM
I've been playing ncaa all day. I would have scored, then onside kick, then hail mary... I go hard.

BigDeezy
9/18/2011, 08:14 PM
Its simply the most practical, safe thing to do. You can run the clock out and win the game with no risk of loosing the ball to your opponent. Its a no-brainer.

And what difference will another score make at this point in the game?

MyT Oklahoma
9/18/2011, 08:47 PM
"Bob knows best." Next question please.

BB37
9/18/2011, 08:52 PM
And what difference will another score make at this point in the game?

This. AND, I'm sure Bob wouldn't want to run up the score on the FSU D-Coord, who just happens to be his brother.

SoonerOX
9/18/2011, 09:45 PM
We were showing class and brains. The game was won, no need to score.

swardboy
9/18/2011, 09:55 PM
Especially dumb would have been to attempt a field goal. Stevens worm-burner would get blocked and returned for a td. Not a game-winner but a real debby downer.