PDA

View Full Version : Anybody buy a car lately?

royalfan5
9/18/2011, 09:18 AM
I'm going to start working on it this week. I'm just curious if the dealers out there are willing to deal now or not?

booomer
9/18/2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure, but I can tell you I recently bought a new Camaro and I was surprised to find that the one we were looking at was the same price no matter where we looked and the same deal was offered at every dealership. I had never experienced that before. I guess there is an agreement and some sort of control over the new Camaros among the dealerships??? I wasn't trading anything in though, only putting down some cash.

Good luck. Buying a car is about as brutal as buying a house anymore. In fact, I think we signed less papers when we bought the house than we did when we bought the Camaro. :chargrined:

GDC
9/18/2011, 10:10 AM
I don't think I will ever buy a new vehicle again, such a rip off.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 11:20 AM
Deja Vu all over again:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?158057-Anyone-have-any-recs-on-car-dealerships&highlight=dealer

royalfan5
9/18/2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not looking for a specific dealership, just an attitude check, because my preliminary stuff seems to indicate they are sitting on a bigger floorplan than they would like.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 12:51 PM
Well, I thought some of the comments might help.

I still support the CarMax philosophy, great used cars with no-haggle price. I bought my car there at $450 over KBB and they gave me $300 less than KBB for my trade. Didn't take a depreciation hit. My car had 16K and is still in my driveway @ 125K, paid off in March.

I don't mind giving the dealer some profit, if it is reasonable and an easy, quality purchase.

Veritas
9/18/2011, 01:06 PM
Wait until the last Monday of January, used or new, doesn't matter. Especially here in Nebraska. Weather is ****, nobody's buying, and end of the month quotas are approaching and guys just want to move units.

royalfan5
9/18/2011, 03:44 PM
That's pretty much what I did last time, but to get the current ride through winter, I would have to put some coin into the current ride, and figure the end the month September or October savings would equal it out in the end iffin they aren't being unreasonable.

reflector
9/18/2011, 04:11 PM
I can honestly say that I have not bought a car lately.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2011, 04:26 PM
I buy and sell cars like turkish pimps buy and sell hoes.

*makeitrain*

badger
9/18/2011, 04:37 PM
Consumer Reports was offering some dealio a year or so ago where they'd give you the specifics on any make and model, including what the dealer is paying for the vehicle for a fee (something like $50 or so). This way, you know how far you can haggle.

I don't think I would ever buy a new vehicle without Consumer Reports, considering that I've looked up some vehicles friends and family buy, only to see the disaster ratings they're receiving (and a few years down the road, look on in pity at what has happened).

Not trying to sell you on a subscription. Your local library likely subscribes, Check out back issues there!

pphilfran
9/18/2011, 04:42 PM
Don't fall in love with any car...do your research...buy a year or two old...

A Sooner in Texas
9/18/2011, 04:50 PM
Don't fall in love with any car...do your research...buy a year or two old...

This.

I had to buy a car not quite a year ago - 15 year old 4Runner with about 207K miles pretty much blew up on me early one Saturday morning; cops had to come running over with fire extinguishers. I'd been wanting to buy something newer and that of course forced my hand. I did a lot of research via Autotrader.com; found the model I wanted, with the best deals. Autotrader also gives you the Blue Book value on each car you look up, and you can get a CarFax report.

I ended up with a very nice 2010 Mazda 3 with all the features I wanted - and one I didn't know I wanted, Bluetooth audio and phone. It's a fun, sporty car and I got a very good deal on it.

Good luck...car shopping is no fun, but Autotrader took a lot of the pain away.

Midtowner
9/18/2011, 08:25 PM
How does one dispose of a vehicle that explodes?

Veritas
9/18/2011, 08:41 PM
Lend it to your mother-in-law.

Memtig14
9/18/2011, 09:10 PM
Lend it to your mother-in-law.

Yes.......before it explodes.

Condescending Sooner
9/19/2011, 09:07 AM
Now is a good time to buy. They are offering stupid money for trade-ins. They gave me $3,000 less than I paid for my car which was almost 3 years old and had 50,000 miles on it.

Used to be it made sense to buy used, but this is a weird market. Used cars are selling for almost as much as new ones. Apparently, there is a large shortage of quality used cars right now.

bent rider
9/19/2011, 07:21 PM
3 years is lately enough? The procedure I used for a new car then was to go to edmunds.com and research vehicles. When I decided what we wanted (wife's car) I used their "ask dealers for a quote" feature. That way they know you are comparison shopping and presumably they'll give you a good quote. Aslo, Edmunds has guidance on pricing, and, of course, you're not locked in the dealership waiting to go through the wringer with the sales manager, etc. After getting two quotes we ended up going with Bob Howard (for a Toyota). The deal went very smooth, no surprises -- they still run you through the finance guy to get extras like extra warranties and stuff, but you can just keep saying no. Within a year after that I bought a used car (my car) using AutoTrader.com. I knew basically what I wanted and I kept looking and looking until someone had the particular car I wanted for a decent price. There are listings there from both private sellers and dealers (including Car Max, for the Car Max fans). Both cars worked out great for us in the long run, not counting the hailstorm my wife drove her car into.

olevetonahill
9/19/2011, 07:29 PM
Lend it to your mother-in-law.:fat::fat:

olevetonahill
9/19/2011, 07:32 PM
Now is a good time to buy. They are offering stupid money for trade-ins. They gave me $3,000 less than I paid for my car which was almost 3 years old and had 50,000 miles on it.

Used to be it made sense to buy used, but this is a weird market. Used cars are selling for almost as much as new ones. Apparently, there is a large shortage of quality used cars right now.

This is it . With New car sales down there are Less trade ins available.
Im not in a hurry. Ill prolly look for sompun around Jan or Feb.

A Sooner in Texas
9/19/2011, 08:09 PM

When one has no mother-in-law (and the one I used to have was wonderful; it was my ex-FIL who sucked) to give an exploding vehicle, one has it towed to the closest salvage yard and sold for parts.

soonercruiser
9/19/2011, 09:40 PM
When one has no mother-in-law (and the one I used to have was wonderful; it was my ex-FIL who sucked) to give an exploding vehicle, one has it towed to the closest salvage yard and sold for parts.

Are they still making Pintos as dowry gifts?
:chargrined: