PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Mark Stoops now?

cleller
9/18/2011, 08:01 AM
I find it hard to be objective about games. If you don't score on every series I think something is wrong. FSU was definitely better on D this time, but is Mark approaching Bob's level when he was a DC? Would you take him over Venables?

I say no, and no. The hostile environment upset our mojo big time, again. This time we fought our way out of it. Our D was bending more than I like, and had that Bermuda Triangle open in the middle again, but they kept the points off the board, and got us the ball when we really needed it.

If we see Alabama or LSU later, then we'll know what big league D looks like.

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 08:02 AM
I find it hard to be objective about games. If you don't score on every series I think something is wrong. FSU was definitely better on D this time, but is Mark approaching Bob's level when he was a DC? Would you take him over Venables?

I say no, and no. The hostile environment upset our mojo big time, again. This time we fought our way out of it. Our D was bending more than I like, and had that Bermuda Triangle open in the middle again, but they kept the points off the board, and got us the ball when we really needed it.

If we see Alabama or LSU later, then we'll know what big league D looks like.

Yes!

CBUS_SOONER
9/18/2011, 08:28 AM
If we play for all the marbles... I hope is is against wisky or boise not lsu or bama

meoveryouxinfinity
9/18/2011, 08:36 AM
Our D-line has been great this season. But it seems that if the quarterback isn't pressured at all, the secondary breaks down on every play. We seem to be a hard hitting team but with that you'll get some missed tackles (wrapping up doesn't bruise a wide receiver like throwing your body at them). I guess you take the good with the bad on that.

btb916
9/18/2011, 08:50 AM
Yes!

In a head-to-head matchup, Venables' D allows less points and racks up 5 more sacks.

I just have a few words for you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KIzbktgJk)

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 08:53 AM
BV has better players to work with. Mark Stoop's upside as a DC is higher than BV's.

And whatever that link is I ain't lookin at it.

btb916
9/18/2011, 08:56 AM
Haha. It's nothing weird, just a short youtube clip.

FSU had the best recruiting class this year, didn't they? I don't think that old line that we have better players is persuasive.

Both defenses looked good, but ours was downright ferocious. The secondary is a cause for concern to me, but the line and the line backers looked awesome.

BigTip
9/18/2011, 08:57 AM
The TV sure loved him. They were showing him as much or more than Fisher.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/18/2011, 09:03 AM
I keep reiterating this: they knew our snap count!! they were blowing guys off the ball because they were reacting to the count and not the snap! In addition, they were lined up in the neutral zone multiple times (never called) and were off sides many times. We need to fix the snap count though.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 09:09 AM
TV coverage sucked as usual from ABC and ESPN. I will take Fox any day over ABC and ESPN with their announcers and camera angles. Almost made you wonder if we had any cheerleaders there until near the end. Their one sided coverage was there for all to see.

Venerables is a perfect fit for our defense. Our backfield gets better as the season goes along every year but our linebacker corp is second to none which is Venerables speciality. When you can hold the rushing under 50 yards in a game, your defense is clicking not to mention the number of sacks.

SoonerMom2
9/18/2011, 09:12 AM
They had players in our offensive backfield before the ball was even snapped by the official had to be blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other. I thought Stoops several times looked like he wanted to clobber that official. I would say send the tape to the Big 12 office for officiating but fat chance they would do anything. Have a feeling we are going to have trouble with Big 12 officials all year.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 09:21 AM
I think Mark Stoops has been able to mold his defense into a much better unit after a full season than he did after a couple of games last year. I would expect that result from any coach that had a grasp of the X & Os and was an effective teacher. So I'd say he proved those things to me, but I fully expected that going into it. As far as absolute coaching level goes, hard to say unless you follow the program and understand the talent he has to work with - which I don't. It looked like some pretty good players to me and I think they are going to be a force in the ACC.

delhalew
9/18/2011, 09:32 AM
I think Mark Stoops has been able to mold his defense into a much better unit after a full season than he did after a couple of games last year. I would expect that result from any coach that had a grasp of the X & Os and was an effective teacher. So I'd say he proved those things to me, but I fully expected that going into it. As far as absolute coaching level goes, hard to say unless you follow the program and understand the talent he has to work with - which I don't. It looked like some pretty good players to me and I think they are going to be a force in the ACC.
Last season when we played Mark only installed the basics so his guys wouldn't get confused. It was pitch and catch.

This year coverage was better, and Landry had more looks to decipher. Those guys have a good D.

Also, they were offsides all night long. Infuriating.

Soonerjeepman
9/18/2011, 09:42 AM
I actually was impressed...he made adjustments after the first drive...held us for 3+ quarters

Keller Sooner
9/18/2011, 10:50 AM
I think Mark is an excellent coach. I think he will get the noles defense just better and better. They are pretty damn good now! I love his secondary coverages. It was hard for Landry to find an open receiver most of the night.

C&CDean
9/18/2011, 10:58 AM
BV has better players to work with. Mark Stoop's upside as a DC is higher than BV's.

And whatever that link is I ain't lookin at it.

So, you just choose to be willfully ignurnt. I'm cool with that.

LiveLaughLove
9/18/2011, 11:06 AM
Brent is one of the best DCs OU has ever had. I don't say that lightly. I would not take Mark overe him, but I think Mark is destined for greatness, as are all Stoops' it seems.

Oh yeah, Brent is a Stoops too, just ask em. :)

soonerfromgeorgia
9/18/2011, 11:10 AM
Mark Stoops could be in the running to replace Mark Richt at UGA, seen his name thrown out there.

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 12:38 PM
So, you just choose to be willfully ignurnt. I'm cool with that.

Anytime you wanna compare real football knowledge and not just espouse your particular rah-rah, our coaches are the best because they're ours spiel, step up to the plate. :beguiled:

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 12:39 PM
Mark Stoops could be in the running to replace Mark Richt at UGA, seen his name thrown out there.

Bet ya haven't seen BV's name thrown out there! :beguiled:

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 12:40 PM
And by the way Deano and company. I gave BV credit for doing a good jorb Saturday night in another thread. But unlike many of ya I ain't lining up to sniff his shorts.

cleller
9/18/2011, 12:46 PM
With the Stoops boys: Bob and Mike: Top dog alpha males that can make players cower from their (eye) glare.

Mark is obviously an excellent coach, up and coming, lots of good things, but does not quite have the above.

Just my impression.