PDA

View Full Version : Morning After Observations in Tallahassee

OU69BeaufortCounty
9/18/2011, 06:36 AM
No comments on game itself other than I am so glad we won the big one on the road. Home TV viewers certainly saw more than we did in the stadium.

As noted previously, the FSU folks were very welcoming and polite with few exceptions. I saw nothing that I would categorize as LSU-ugly. We visited the Titanic Exhibit (excellent) and their Historic (Old) State Capitol Saturday AM. The Old Capitol is restored to the 1902 version, complete with red and white striped window awnings (wonder if Whataburger would sponsor them if they used orange and white?) and is a magnificent building. Large group of Vietnam Vet/Legacy Vet bikers outside for a POW monument commemoration.

Here are a few things that made the stadium experience less fun:

1. We were unlucky enough to have 5 drunk late 20/early 30-something FSU fans directly in front of us. Luckily the worse of them wandered off at half time and passed out somewhere else. One of the women did nothing but take pictures of herself all evening with her cell phone and the other one kept telling us she was really from Arkansas and so embarrassed to be dressed in FSU colors. Both spent the entire game sitting on their date's laps even though they had seat space.

2. Half a dozen hat-wearing male/female idiots who wouldn't wait for the National Anthem to finish playing barged through the standing fans to get to their seats. FSU fans near me rightly declared them to be a**hol*s.

3. Worst of all....on seeming every OU offensive play... the black and white "Make Noise" flashing hypno-toad sign was blinking blindingly in a seizure-causing style on their jumbotron and all the various smaller video boards around the stadium. This continued PAST the snap of the ball. I would say this verges on game interference as well as making it impossible to see the play itself on the jumbotron if your view was blocked by a sea of arm-waving FSU fans. I give them an A+ for noise making ability, but question the electronic augmentation. In general the volume level of the PA system music is too high. Recommend earplugs for the next trip.

4. Maybe it was just us, but it seemed like the FSU fans booed loudly every time OU came on the field. We don't do that in Norman and certainly not for the entire game.

5 The operator on the main jumbotron was inept. He had down and distance wrong much of the time and awarded OU a touchdown that the refs never called.

Good things...their fans admitted when OU made a good play. Most acknowledged that Broyles and Stills were like nothing on the FSU team. Several said neither Manuel or the backup QB were not the road to a championship...they have their hopes pinned on their 5 star 2012 recruit. No sour grapes on the way out of the stadium. They were very quiet.

OU fans in attendance and the road version of the Pride represented well. Coach Stoops made a point of lingering near the tunnel after the game and saluting the fans.

Leaving their stadium seems much slower than in Norman. We finally got back to our hotel room after 1 AM. Tired but happy. That long drive today on I-10 will be much better after a win.

One really good thing I saw was (only one) FSU fan wearing a Columbia PFG style fishing shirt in garnet and gold with Seminole logo on the back. I wonder if Columbia makes one for OU?

SoCal
9/18/2011, 07:20 AM
http://global.ebay.com/COLUMBIA_PFG_BONEHEAD_OU_SOONERS_SS_FISHING_SHIRT_ L_/370492941829/item

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 08:53 AM
3 and 5 my biggest complaints. You have two awesome video boards but everyone on our end had to turn and watch the other because one was strictly the seizure machine....And their video guy sucked the biggest nuts. In the biggest game in years they can't get the starring line up and intro **** right? Had to restart like three times....and yardage was constantly wrong it seemed like. Worse than a high school game.

colleyvillesooner
9/18/2011, 09:08 AM
See if this video works. If not I'll upload when I get back home. Total bull**** that they do this, started 3rd quarter and went through the play and after the snap. Would come back on as we approached the line.

http://twitvid.com/5PROO

OrlandoSooner
9/18/2011, 09:14 AM
The seizure board was my only complaint. I was in the FSU booster section. They were very gracious after the game.

jk the sooner fan
9/18/2011, 09:17 AM
you can see #1 in Norman on gameday...easily

Soonerjeepman
9/18/2011, 09:47 AM
about #1...were they hot? LOL

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 11:38 AM
women did nothing but take pictures of herself all evening with her cell phone

I had this all around me at the Tulsa game. The incessant Facebook pose every female knows how to do from age 10 to 50. I also had texting marathons occuring, with the ding-ding going off every 25 seconds.

Since I sit in the donor section, I'm thinking these are grandkids on a 100 degree night...I kind of missed the oldsters and their bitching about playcalling.

BudSooner
9/18/2011, 12:06 PM
The incessant Facebook pose every female knows how to do from age 10 to 50.I would like to find who started this stupid *** idea and throw them into running wood chipper, nothing sadder than a 38yr old heavy set chick shooting pics in a bathroom or car looking like a fat lipped slut.

That pouty lip **** has to stop, it appears to be false advertising...some dude is gonna think he might get a hummer judging from her photos.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2011, 12:44 PM
I would like to find who started this stupid *** idea and throw them into running wood chipper, nothing sadder than a 38yr old heavy set chick shooting pics in a bathroom or car looking like a fat lipped slut.

That pouty lip **** has to stop, it appears to be false advertising...some dude is gonna think he might get a hummer judging from her photos.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You go Bud!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/18/2011, 12:48 PM
you stop wearing white socks past your ankles & we will stop taking pictures

madillsoonerfan5353
9/18/2011, 01:12 PM
I thought the same thing about the video boards watching from tv. You could see it blinking on the helmets and coaches faces.

iknowyoudidnt
9/18/2011, 01:29 PM
I would like to find who started this stupid *** idea and throw them into running wood chipper, nothing sadder than a 38yr old heavy set chick shooting pics in a bathroom or car looking like a fat lipped slut.

You're not alone.

http://antiduckface.com

C&CDean
9/18/2011, 01:35 PM
WTF are you talking about? Chicks take pics of themselves and do what with them?

BlownGP
9/18/2011, 01:53 PM
See if this video works. If not I'll upload when I get back home. Total bull**** that they do this, started 3rd quarter and went through the play and after the snap. Would come back on as we approached the line.

http://twitvid.com/5PROO

wow,, thats pretty crappy..

stoopified
9/18/2011, 02:41 PM
Hell I took my wife to a game (ONCE) and she fell asleep during the game.

OU69BeaufortCounty
9/18/2011, 07:12 PM
After driving west all day on I-10, I came up with a few more observations about the scene in Doak Campbell Stadium:

1. They do the "And it's another (insert name of any aggie school here) First Down" thing. Thank God we don't do that in Norman.

2. The Tomahawk Chop thing gets old fast. It seems to amuse them no end. Had to defend my wife from errant back swings from the row in front. Their prize pony crapped on the field while waiting for the TV director to finally give the go ahead for the authentic Native American flaming spear at midfield ceremony.

3. Even more irritating is the cheer where they spell out F L O R I D A S T A TE and then repeat it three times and then give their best Rick Flair imitation by going "Woo." Endless repetitions of Boomer Sooner can't come close to this one for wearing very thin very quickly.

Saw a few Sooner cars headed west today. Sweetest sight was a Texas licensed truck hauling a big 5th wheel trailer which huge FSU graphics on the back. I resisted the urge to hold up #1 as I passed.

Again, other than a few drunks, the crowd was personally respectful and extremely subdued after the game. I think they were just totally deflated and realized their expectations had been too high this season.

Blue
9/18/2011, 07:20 PM
Again, other than a few drunks, the crowd was personally respectful and extremely subdued after the game. I think they were just totally deflated and realized their expectations had been too high this season.

Yeah it would have been a different story had they pulled out the win. I'd say this is the most tense gameday Ive been to. Both teams fans wanted it bad.

Sooner in Tampa
9/18/2011, 07:25 PM
Our experience was pretty sweet. Now, I will say this, the people all around us, REALLY we on the edge...they were ready to fall on their swords if OU would have gotten a 2 td lead. The 4 dudes behind us were very gracious (when they were trailing)...as soon as they tied the scored...the dudes had their shirts off, they we hopping around, and they got VERY mouthy.

Some 60ish woman in front of us got pissed and asked us how much we paid the refs...and then she called Travis Lewis a "dirty" player...a lot of the fans around us cried about EVERY freakin flag.

But, I have never been to a game where more people would want to shake your hand and tell you nice game! Several of the FSU folks offered to take our pictures for us.

Overall A +

Blue
9/18/2011, 07:31 PM
Our experience was pretty sweet. Now, I will say this, the people all around us, REALLY we on the edge...they were ready to fall on their swords if OU would have gotten a 2 td lead. The 4 dudes behind us were very gracious (when they were trailing)...as soon as they tied the scored...the dudes had their shirts off, they we hopping around, and they got VERY mouthy.

Some 60ish woman in front of us got pissed and asked us how much we paid the refs...and then she called Travis Lewis a "dirty" player...a lot of the fans around us cried about EVERY freakin flag.

But, I have never been to a game where more people would want to shake your hand and tell you nice game! Several of the FSU folks offered to take our pictures for us.

Overall A +

Yes. Very similar to ours. Nailed it.

soonerboomer93
9/18/2011, 07:33 PM
you stop wearing white socks past your ankles & we will stop taking pictures

I only wear socks past my ankles if I am in boots, you however may continue to send me pictures ;)

Blue
9/18/2011, 07:36 PM
Lotta eye candy. Not your Hot SEC dresses and skirts. Down and dirty short shorts and tight T's.:beguiled:

47straight
9/18/2011, 08:14 PM
WTF are you talking about? Chicks take pics of themselves and do what with them?

Make a duck face and look stupid.

http://antiduckface.com/