PDA

View Full Version : entire new offense

lasooner123
9/17/2011, 10:55 PM
are we a running power team that never sends receivers out wide and doesnt play from the shotgun? im slightly confused

flysooner9
9/17/2011, 10:58 PM
i think were an offense that can do a lot of different things very well.

SoonerofAlabama
9/17/2011, 11:00 PM
I was dissappointed with the stubborness on the goal line, but I see what they were trying to do.

MsProudSooner
9/17/2011, 11:00 PM
are we a running power team that never sends receivers out wide and doesnt play from the shotgun? im slightly confused

I think the crowd noise dictated some changes in play calls etc. It seemed to be even louder than at College Station, to me.

kevpks
9/17/2011, 11:01 PM
I think we are an offense who was in an incredibly hostile environment and leaned on a dominant defense but stepped up at the end with a few big time drives. Reminds me of 2000.

TXBOOMER
9/17/2011, 11:03 PM
Defense has to win hostile road games. Other than the one bad pick, the O didn't do anything stupid. Great Win IMO.

En_Fuego
9/17/2011, 11:05 PM
"In Josh We Trust"

picasso
9/17/2011, 11:12 PM
Defense has to win hostile road games. Other than the one bad pick, the O didn't do anything stupid. Great Win IMO.
Agreed!

madillsoonerfan5353
9/17/2011, 11:18 PM
Agreed!

THIS^^^^

soonergirlNeugene
9/17/2011, 11:39 PM
The other 2 times I remember us getting away from the hurry-up that badly were vs A&M last year and vs Florida in 2009.

VA Sooner
9/17/2011, 11:42 PM
The hurry-up was working in the beginning and then just abandoned and I don't know why. Is it the crowd noise?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/17/2011, 11:51 PM
The hurry-up was working in the beginning and then just abandoned and I don't know why. Is it the crowd noise? Yes. It was causing confusion before every play. This is certainly a very serious downfall of the hurry up no huddle. What's the point if you can't run it in big games on the road?

Sooner_Tuf
9/18/2011, 01:18 AM
Yes. It was causing confusion before every play. This is certainly a very serious downfall of the hurry up no huddle. What's the point if you can't run it in big games on the road?

Whats the point of making tires round if they can still leak air?

Maybe for the times they work well?

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 01:22 AM
Whats the point of making tires round if they can still leak air?

Maybe for the times they work well?

And why are manhole covers round?

Maybe because manholes are round.?

jumperstop
9/18/2011, 01:28 AM
Landry was quoted on Sooner sports that he would call a play 6 or7 times and he wasn't sure the team could even hear him. That probably had a lot to do with it. Loudest crowd I've witnessed live, been to a lot of games.

Sooner_Tuf
9/18/2011, 01:30 AM
And why are manhole covers round?

Maybe because manholes are round.?
Reasons for the shape include:

A round manhole cover cannot fall through its circular opening, whereas a square manhole cover may fall in if it were inserted diagonally in the hole. (A Reuleaux triangle or other curve of constant width would also serve this purpose, but round covers are much easier to manufacture. The existence of a "lip" holding up the lid means that the underlying hole is smaller than the cover, so that other shapes might suffice.)
Round tubes are the strongest and most material-efficient shape against the compression of the earth around them, and so it is natural that the cover of a round tube assume a circular shape.
Similarly, it is easier to dig a circular hole and thus the cover is also circular.
The bearing surfaces of manhole frames and covers are machined to assure flatness and prevent them from becoming dislodged by traffic. Round castings are much easier to machine using a lathe.
Circular covers do not need to be rotated to align them when covering a circular manhole.
Human beings have a roughly circular cross-section.
A round manhole cover can be more easily moved by being rolled.
A round manhole cover is cheapest to manufacture related to other shapes because requires the least amount of metal to cover an opening wide enough for a person to get through.
Most manhole covers are made by a few large companies. A different shape would have to be custom made.
:D

sperry
9/18/2011, 01:32 AM
Playcalling was a little surprising. We had two great drives, one on the opening possession of the game and one in the 4th quarter when we really needed it. In between, though we really didn't do much. We have a 4th year Jr. at QB with a very experienced receiving corps. Obviously our defense played really well and we didn't need to do much offensively, but that's not always going to hold. OSU is going to be a loud, hostile environment, and 23 points isn't going to win it. We're going to need to be able to throw the ball against good teams if we're going to win a championship.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 01:41 AM
I was dissappointed with the stubborness on the goal line, but I see what they were trying to do.

I have to admit on those 2 series, I thought Josh was channeling KW. I don't mind the choice of running - I just don't like the formation. I just hate getting all 22 players in tight and expecting a well controlled outcome. Just my philosophy, but I want Broyles and/or Stills on the field and split wide. That forces the D to cover them and creates a little more space at the line. It also forces them to worry about the possibility of a pass, so they can't just blindly submarine up front and attack every gap from behind.

There. I was the first to criticize Josh.

Sooner95
9/18/2011, 01:42 AM
Heck, i think if we'd run the ball more we could have controlled the game even more. This Whalen kid is good, and our O'line is pretty good when it comes to run blocking.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/18/2011, 01:46 AM
I have to admit on those 2 series, I thought Josh was channeling KW. I don't mind the choice of running - I just don't like the formation. I just hate getting all 22 players in tight and expecting a well controlled outcome. Just my philosophy, but I want Broyles and/or Stills on the field and split wide. That forces the D to cover them and creates a little more space at the line. It also forces them to worry about the possibility of a pass, so they can't just blindly submarine up front and attack every gap from behind.

There. I was the first to criticize Josh.

The reason we were going max protect was we had to double that Werner guy (who was an absolute beast). You spread them out and their corners could keep our guys occupied until he got the QB. The formation was good, I just thought in that position that Clay would have been a better fit than Whaley since he doesn't really need creases to get yards.

We were running the 2004 offense tonight for some reason.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 01:55 AM
The reason we were going max protect was we had to double that Werner guy (who was an absolute beast). You spread them out and their corners could keep our guys occupied until he got the QB. The formation was good, I just thought in that position that Clay would have been a better fit than Whaley since he doesn't really need creases to get yards.

We were running the 2004 offense tonight for some reason.

The formation was good with the exception that we could have run 10 of those plays and still not scored. There are ways to deal with 1 guy you can't block 1 on 1. Taking Broyles off the field is removing your best player even if he is just a decoy. And it effectively takes LJ off the field too as he is just there to hand off. It's fine if you can push them back, but clearly they were too strong for us to do it.

EatLeadCommie
9/18/2011, 01:58 AM
This. Josh is quite clearly trying to establish a power running game with the hope that Landry can step it up in the passing game. It almost killed us tonight, but I understand it. We are trying to find a new offensive identity because the old crap won't work against a team that is stout up front.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/18/2011, 02:16 AM
The formation was good with the exception that we could have run 10 of those plays and still not scored. There are ways to deal with 1 guy you can't block 1 on 1. Taking Broyles off the field is removing your best player even if he is just a decoy. And it effectively takes LJ off the field too as he is just there to hand off. It's fine if you can push them back, but clearly they were too strong for us to do it.

The problem was that it worked the first series so they went back to it. Then they tried something new in the 3rd series and FSU had 4 guys on the receiver (4!!). All I can say is I hope Josh sees that either he is being predictable or Mark Stoops should have spent the evening in Vegas.

Okie35
9/18/2011, 03:30 AM
I'm sure that was just the gameplan for this week.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 03:31 AM
I say, Bob makes 4mil plus per season for a reason. Oh and we won!

EatLeadCommie
9/18/2011, 03:40 AM
The problem was that it worked the first series so they went back to it. Then they tried something new in the 3rd series and FSU had 4 guys on the receiver (4!!). All I can say is I hope Josh sees that either he is being predictable or Mark Stoops should have spent the evening in Vegas.
It isn't Josh's fault that Landry threw into double and triple coverage most of the night.

Okie35
9/18/2011, 04:08 AM
It isn't Josh's fault that Landry threw into double and triple coverage most of the night.

Not most he was 18-27 which was 66.6% which is creepy because of the stat that ESPN posted on Friday. Landry was 10-2 w/ 66.6% passing against blitz heavy teams. He's now 11-2 w/ the same percentage, that's crazy.

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 07:04 AM
I agree we shoulda spread em out more on the goal. I've never been a fan of getting all 22 guys in a scrum and trying to run the ball in. And yeah Werner was killing us, so we run to the side where he ain't, it ain't rocket science. :tongue:

BermudaSooner
9/18/2011, 07:44 AM
I was happy with running down close, but that bunch formation just doesn't get it done that close. Not sure why we can't spread out and run.

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 07:49 AM
I was happy with running down close, but that bunch formation just doesn't get it done that close. Not sure why we can't spread out and run.

With the athleticism we have at the back position that's exactly what we should do.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2011, 08:19 AM
Our problem is that we're not using Texas Tech's WIDE SPLITS on the line. ;)

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 08:20 AM
Our problem is that we're not using Texas Tech's WIDE SPLITS on the line. ;)

Now there's an idea! :victorious:

5noubus
9/18/2011, 08:31 AM
Where was finch? Why could we not try him once then try finch and Whaley in at the Same time to split the pressure ?