PDA

View Full Version : You would think Brent would learn about not bringing pressure.

FaninAma
9/17/2011, 09:55 PM
No the defense hasn't lost this game regardless but why do you give a freshman qb time on 3rd and 28?

goingoneight
9/17/2011, 10:07 PM
Why do you give ANY QB time on ANY play? I don't think that's on Brent. Our guys are getting gassed out there every couple of plays.

FaninAma
9/17/2011, 10:32 PM
Brent called agreat game and finished with great calls on bringing pressure. The defense won this game but Jones and Still and Whaley were huge.

landrun
9/17/2011, 10:33 PM
On the 3rd and 28, our defense just stopped on the blitz. if you're gonna blitz, don't quit to you get to the qb. Either that or drop back.

Either way, we overcame it. Best D in a long time!

DrZaius
9/17/2011, 10:36 PM
After not rushing on that down I was livid. I mean 3 and 28. The kid from the show Life goes On could have made a better call. Then we won and I was like ok.

Sooner_Tuf
9/18/2011, 01:25 AM
That's some real psychotic stuff right there.

nighttrain12
9/18/2011, 02:13 AM
After not rushing on that down I was livid. I mean 3 and 28. The kid from the show Life goes On could have made a better call. Then we won and I was like ok.

Corky could have made the catch himself and ran it in for the score.

EatLeadCommie
9/18/2011, 02:15 AM
it was an incredible pass amidst some awful coverage. Brent was not to blame.

prrriiide
9/18/2011, 02:20 AM
Give credit where its due: FSU's OL played WAY above their heads tonight. Those kids sucked it up, and it damm near cost us the game. It had nothing to do with Brent: he called a great game. The FSU OL just rose to the occasion most of the time.

sooneredaco
9/18/2011, 03:25 AM
Is this really the first "Fire Venables" thread of the year? Congrats Faninama! You win!!!

Curly Bill
9/18/2011, 07:00 AM
Everyone knows I'm not the biggest BV fan in the world, but he did a good job. I was upset at times when we were only sending 3 on the pass rush, but I know he was trying to mix things up. The secondary needs to play better, but that isn't on him.

DrZaius
9/18/2011, 07:29 AM
Everyone knows I'm not the biggest BV fan in the world, but he did a good job. I was upset at times when we were only sending 3 on the pass rush, but I know he was trying to mix things up. The secondary needs to play better, but that isn't on him.

Fair assessment

pphilfran
9/18/2011, 07:45 AM
BV brought 5 and got little penetration...FSU was in max protect since we had gotten great penetration in the earlier downs, they kept both backs in and then flared one of them out into the flat...the end had to play the pass to the flat so he hesitated...the back took care of the other end...an earlier play on that drive was a screen to the left that went for 15 or so but the holding call wiped it out...that was probably still in their mind...the FSU line did a great job stopping the inside rush on this play...the qb tossed into multiple coverage and the receiver made a great catch on a perfect pass... there were three d backs within a yard of the receiver...

They executed and the Sooners didn't...the play call was fine...

Sooner_Tuf
9/18/2011, 07:58 AM
I suppose that is why we didn't get any sacks and they ran for what 327? Or was it a bunch of sacks and 27 yards rushing?

btb916
9/18/2011, 09:42 AM
Our secondary was in perfect position to break that pass up and/or easily tackle Greene. All 3 DBs just flat out whiffed. Execution, not play calling, was the problem.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/18/2011, 09:44 AM
the WR was in double if not triple coverage...

tanjou
9/18/2011, 09:44 AM
Are you ****ting me

Soonerjeepman
9/18/2011, 09:58 AM
I suppose that is why we didn't get any sacks and they ran for what 327? Or was it a bunch of sacks and 27 yards rushing?

nice....

oh and we damn near got the kid back on the 3 or 4 yrd line rushing 2, yes 2 guys...

bigfatjerk
9/18/2011, 10:36 AM
9 sacks and 3 INTs because of the pressure we put on them. Our pressure wasn't the problem. Sometimes players have to make plays and we just didn't have guys making plays on that 3rd and 28. 2 guys were in position to make a play there and neither one did.

hawaii 5-0
9/18/2011, 11:09 AM
I was bothered by this as well. On 3rd and 28, if you pressure the QB to get rid of the ball quickly the receiver doesn't have time to get downfield.
The pass would have to be underneath, allowing the DBs and LBs to close in.
Giving the QB all the time he wanted was senseless. Turned out it was a great pass/catch and run at a critical time. The were 4 DBs covering that pass. I hope I don't see anything that flukey again all season.

5-0

btb916
9/18/2011, 11:19 AM
We saw something that flukey a couple of times against Tulsa.

Our defense played lights out, but when I say that I'm really thinking of the line and LBs. The secondary left a lot to be desired. Consider that we were *this* close to giving up 3 touchdown passes...the first one called back because of a holding penalty (great pass rush), the second one being stopped because of knocking a guy out who was falling into the end zone, and of course the 3rd and 28...

I have concerns about our secondary moving forward, but I am uber confident in our line and LBs right now.

FaninAma
9/18/2011, 11:23 AM
duplicate post

FaninAma
9/18/2011, 11:25 AM
Is this really the first "Fire Venables" thread of the year? Congrats Faninama! You win!!!
I knew that knee jerk reaction was coming. I made a real-time comment on a play. I thought it was fairly reserved and reasonable comment but I'll be sure and get your approval for any of my in-game comments in the future.

Yes the DBs should have broken up the pass just like they should have stopped the hook and lateral in the Fiesta Bowl against BSU on 4th and long. The only chance to convert either is for the QB to have time to get it down field. It was one play and it seemed like the Sooners got back to bringing more on the blitz after that.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2011, 11:36 AM
I was bothered by this as well. On 3rd and 28, if you pressure the QB to get rid of the ball quickly the receiver doesn't have time to get downfield.
The pass would have to be underneath, allowing the DBs and LBs to close in.
Giving the QB all the time he wanted was senseless. Turned out it was a great pass/catch and run at a critical time. The were 4 DBs covering that pass. I hope I don't see anything that flukey again all season.

5-0

Harris just made a mistake. It looked like he thought the pass was over-thrown and he was going for the pick. But he has to know the receiver is going to jump for all he's worth to get to it and he has to go for the break-up in that situation. Also, he has to know the down and distance and know a pick isn't that important because they are punting anyway he just breaks up the pass. Too bad, because w/o that flukey play, our D keeps them out of the endzone completely.

Sooner_Tuf
9/18/2011, 08:10 PM
I knew that knee jerk reaction was coming. I made a real-time comment on a play. I thought it was fairly reserved and reasonable comment but I'll be sure and get your approval for any of my in-game comments in the future.

Yes the DBs should have broken up the pass just like they should have stopped the hook and lateral in the Fiesta Bowl against BSU on 4th and long. The only chance to convert either is for the QB to have time to get it down field. It was one play and it seemed like the Sooners got back to bringing more on the blitz after that.

You are holding the players on the 2011 team responsible for something that happened in 2007? Really?

Reminds me I need to buy more stock in the company that makes Kotex.

FaninAma
9/18/2011, 08:37 PM
You are holding the players on the 2011 team responsible for something that happened in 2007? Really?

Reminds me I need to buy more stock in the company that makes Kotex.

Ummm, no. Let me lead you through the logic. I know it will be tough for you but stick with me.

The defensive coordinator, not the players, make the defensive call on all plays. The players then are responsible for carrying out the playcall. So, if you understand that premise I will proceed to the real tricky part of the comparison by asking you a question.

What was the issue in common in the hook and lateral in the Fiesta Bowl and the conversion on 3rd and forever last night? Hint: it WASN'T the players. Here's another hint: both plays involved dropping back in a soft prevent zone in our secondary with only a token rush.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more hints.

Sooner Cal
9/18/2011, 09:12 PM
The header for this thread is a silly statement. Other than the big pass, FSU was held pretty much in check. This is like those who complain about Josh's play calling. When you find fault with everything, you lose credibility. It was a solid win against a team with very talented athletes who've been preparing for us for 12 months. This was supposed to be the game that put them back on the map as did our Red October. Guess what, it didn't happen. They will have to find someone else.

Champions win when they have to make plays. This team does that.

8timechamps
9/18/2011, 09:18 PM
FaninAma has been here a long time, and (to my knowledge) doesn't make moronic posts on a regular basis. I think he posted what was on his mind at the moment it happened. Don't turn it into something it's not.

Anyway, I figured the reason we weren't blitzing as much with Manuel in the game was because of the fear that he would break the pocket and gain big yards. Kudos to our entire defense last night for playing like Oklahoma defenses of the past great teams. Brent called a good game overall, and I think he has something special with this defense.

hawaii 5-0
9/18/2011, 09:32 PM
I don't feel like I need to praise the Sooners much more than I have already. They're currently the best team in the nation according to both the sportswriters and the coaches.

I do see room for improvement and I imagine the coaches see things that need to be addressed. Since the OU coaches always read my posts, I'll list a few......

1) Recruit better kickers. One who can put it deep in the endzone consistently. I hate to see the opponent catch it it on the 10 yard line with a full head of steam. ( great improvement on kick coverage BTW)
1a) Start looking for a placekicker who doesn't kick a flat ball and one who can hit from 40+ yards.
2) On 3rd and long, bring pressure. Don't give the QB time for his receivers to get downfield.
3) Get Roy Finch involved more. I saw him in the slot a little Sat., but Landry didn't throw to him. Roy with the ball in an open field with a LB covering him is a missmatch.
4) Keep the fire under the OL. Landry got sacked easily a coupla times. We struggled (again, ugh) running it up the gut inside the 5 yard line. Given FSU had a good DL. aTm is coming up later.
5) Don't forget the TEs. Make other teams respect them. That little screen to Hanna coulda been good.
6) Brent, fix the problems back there. Make a phone call to Mike if necessary.

5-0

FaninAma
9/18/2011, 09:33 PM
8x, that's exactly what the original post was about. It was a comment on an observation about a single play in a game.

It is amazing how hypersensitive some are to anything they perceive as criticism of anything concerning the program.

I wouldn't trade anybody on this coaching staff for any other member of any other d-1 program's staff.

Sooner_Tuf
9/19/2011, 01:06 AM
Ummm, no. Let me lead you through the logic. I know it will be tough for you but stick with me.

The defensive coordinator, not the players, make the defensive call on all plays. The players then are responsible for carrying out the playcall. So, if you understand that premise I will proceed to the real tricky part of the comparison by asking you a question.

What was the issue in common in the hook and lateral in the Fiesta Bowl and the conversion on 3rd and forever last night? Hint: it WASN'T the players. Here's another hint: both plays involved dropping back in a soft prevent zone in our secondary with only a token rush.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more hints.

That is a major oversimplification of how things work but remember Fan I have met you in person and would expect no less from you.

Venables does send in a call but the players do change things up as they see how the Offense lines up. We rushed four and we had three defenders where the pass went and a safety down the field. It's pretty amazing the pass wasn't broken up or intercepted, that he wasn't tackled immediately and that he was able to beat the safety to the end zone. The call wasn't the problem. I'm not even sure I would blame the players themselves but if you have to blame anyone it is the players that have to make the play.

What would you have done different? and Why do you think it would have more effective?

agoo758
9/19/2011, 01:37 AM
Harris blew his assignment, can't blame Venables for that, although we did bring the pressure in similar situations at the end of the game.

NOVSooner
9/19/2011, 07:45 AM
how the crap is this on BV? as one poster said, we had that WR double covered basically with Harris not taking the angle he should have to AT LEAST knock the ball down. that's on Harris and I would be willing to bet in the film room that BV points that out to Harris rather than Harris pointing out the play call to BV. yes our D has some work to do but it was only the second game. The passes across the middle, slants, etc were worrisome taking away from this game. Our DLine has speed and power. I underestimated that!

SanJoaquinSooner
9/19/2011, 08:01 AM
With the score tied, it forced the offense to rise to the occasion and win the game in a hostile environment in the last 10 minutes of the game. This experience will serve us well, much more than an easy win.

FaninAma
9/19/2011, 08:29 AM
That is a major oversimplification of how things work but remember Fan I have met you in person and would expect no less from you.

Venables does send in a call but the players do change things up as they see how the Offense lines up. We rushed four and we had three defenders where the pass went and a safety down the field. It's pretty amazing the pass wasn't broken up or intercepted, that he wasn't tackled immediately and that he was able to beat the safety to the end zone. The call wasn't the problem. I'm not even sure I would blame the players themselves but if you have to blame anyone it is the players that have to make the play.

What would you have done different? and Why do you think it would have more effective?

As soon as you came out with the snyde kotex comment any civil discussion with you was ended.

You will notice I don't make too many of the tailgates anymore for this very reason.

ouflak
9/19/2011, 09:12 AM
Guys chill. Teams of varying quality occasionally get a long pass on our defense. This isn't the first time and it probably won't be the last. It's a known defect, but one that we consistently overcome. Perspective.

badger
9/19/2011, 10:52 AM
IMHO, it was an amazing play by both the wide receiver and quarterback that 99 times out of 100 the OU defense either bats away or intercepts. Somehow, a football fit through the eye of a needle. Somehow, some way, it happened.

Brent coached a great game. Did you see him still coaching up Tom Wort after the defense held FSU on their final chance, not just congratulating him on winning (like Bob did while Brent was coaching him, lol)? That was great to see. Wort wasn't off high fiving, but listening to Brent's instruction, to Tom's credit too.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2011, 10:57 AM
IMO, that play breaks down because Harris was slow to get over...But no need to get on faninama for his post...geez

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 11:02 AM
KILL WHITEY

badger
9/19/2011, 11:03 AM
Also, our defensive line seemed to be pressure enough in many cases. So good that they were SCARY to the FSU offensive lineman, forcing them to resort to holding and double teaming, you name it, they tried it (and got served a lot of flags for it).

They just came alive during the FSU game, it seemed. I wonder if the "Austin Box zombie" visited their twitter accounts, also? :mad:

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 11:31 AM
Players were there, didnt make play. It happens. College football for ya.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 11:32 AM
You should post that on Twitter just in case someone misses it.

King Fuzzy
9/19/2011, 11:44 AM
That's some real profound insight, yo.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 12:02 PM
Fo realz.

stoopified
9/19/2011, 12:08 PM
Give credit where its due: FSU's OL played WAY above their heads tonight. Sorry,I don't know what you were looking at BUT this was NOT the case.We got 6 sacks,tons of pressure,held FSU to 26 yds rushing on 27 carries,and atotal of 246 yds. That is defensive domination against a good o-line not good O-line playing over their heads.

sooneron
9/19/2011, 12:20 PM
All of that stat stuff is silly...

FIRE VULNERABLES!!!!

mightysooner
9/19/2011, 04:16 PM
Our secondary was in perfect position to break that pass up and/or easily tackle Greene. All 3 DBs just flat out whiffed. Execution, not play calling, was the problem.

^^^ This. That play was like watching three outfielders closing on a pop fly at the same time and when the ball arrives they all pull back so they don't collide at the same time and the ball doesn't get caught by any of them. That wasn't Venable's fault. All three of them were well in position to make the play but they all pulled up and conceded to each other. Keystone coppery.....

oudavid1
9/19/2011, 08:48 PM
All of that stat stuff is silly...

FIRE VULNERABLES!!!!

this!