PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips on crossbows?

BudSooner
9/16/2011, 07:07 PM
I probably won't be using it this year but I just don't have the strength in my shoulder to use a traditional bow-compound/recurve and could use some tips on purchasing a good brand and what to look for when pickin up accessories like bolts etc.

One important thing, should I use a rope or mechanical device to set the string?

OUHOMER
9/16/2011, 07:45 PM
A friend of mine was over just yesterday with his. Once we figured out to sight it in it was dead on. His was 175 lb crossbow. I would get the rope helper. It was all I could do to load the string. But it had a scope, but we keep adjusting and could not get the thing from shooting high. Until we found the adjustment on the stock that was a quick distance that raises the scope.

BudSooner
9/16/2011, 08:00 PM
A friend of mine was over just yesterday with his. Once we figured out to sight it in it was dead on. His was 175 lb crossbow. I would get the rope helper. It was all I could do to load the string. But it had a scope, but we keep adjusting and could not get the thing from shooting high. Until we found the adjustment on the stock that was a quick distance that raises the scope.Ok, so the adjustment is sort of like the iron sights on a regular rifle right? What is the expected maximum distance I would expect to drop an animal? I would assume the max would be about 60yards? The Barnett crossbow i'm looking at shoots a max fps of 315, and i'm just guessing about the distance.

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 09:13 PM
Aren't the tips on the bolts?

Sorry.

x2

BudSooner
9/16/2011, 09:30 PM
Guess I should have said advice.

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 09:38 PM

Naaaah. I'm just an azzhole when I've been snorting marijuana.

soonercruiser
9/16/2011, 10:35 PM

Point it away from yourself!
(Kidding, but got to admire someone who hunts with this thing!)

OUHOMER
9/16/2011, 10:44 PM
Ok, so the adjustment is sort of like the iron sights on a regular rifle right? What is the expected maximum distance I would expect to drop an animal? I would assume the max would be about 60yards? The Barnett crossbow i'm looking at shoots a max fps of 315, and i'm just guessing about the distance.

No, after you get the scope set, ( we set it at about 25 yards) there is a dial under the scope on the stock. It rasies and lowers the scope.
so once your dialed in at 25 and a target moves in at 35 you adjust the dial 1 notch and it puts you back on target.

olevetonahill
9/16/2011, 11:33 PM
I made a Shot Of a 1000 yards with one once :fat:

Unless the Laws have changed you have to have a disability to hunt with one.

SoonerLaw09
9/17/2011, 08:05 AM
Two words:

Depleted.

Uranium.

Breadburner
9/17/2011, 08:25 AM

This....

BudSooner
9/17/2011, 08:46 AM

I emailed the wildlife department last week but have not gotten anything back yet on it, asked them if this was still the case or not.

C&CDean
9/17/2011, 10:07 AM
The laws have changed on crossbows. They're legal for everyone now. From the OK Dept. of Wildlife hunting regs:

Legal Means of Taking

•Bow: Minimum of 40 pounds draw weight. Hand-held releases are legal. Devices that permit a bow to be held mechanically at full or partial draw are allowed.
•Broadheads: Arrows / bolts must be fitted with hunting type points not less than 7/8 inches wide, including mechanical broadheads meeting this width requirement when fully open.
•Crossbows: Minimum of 100 pounds draw weight and equipped with safety devices. Bolts must be a minimum of 14 inches in length. Leverage gaining devices are legal.
•Firearms Restriction: No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season while hunting deer, except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

Curly Bill
9/17/2011, 12:00 PM
The laws have changed on crossbows. They're legal for everyone now. From the OK Dept. of Wildlife hunting regs:

Legal Means of Taking

•Bow: Minimum of 40 pounds draw weight. Hand-held releases are legal. Devices that permit a bow to be held mechanically at full or partial draw are allowed.
•Broadheads: Arrows / bolts must be fitted with hunting type points not less than 7/8 inches wide, including mechanical broadheads meeting this width requirement when fully open.
•Crossbows: Minimum of 100 pounds draw weight and equipped with safety devices. Bolts must be a minimum of 14 inches in length. Leverage gaining devices are legal.
•Firearms Restriction: No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season while hunting deer, except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

Just curious, but does this mean one can carry if they have a CCP?

GottaHavePride
9/17/2011, 12:04 PM
It probably means that if you're out during bow-hunting season you're not supposed to shoot anything with a rifle. Unless, for instance, you're attacked by a mountain lion. Then shooting that sumbitch is ok.

C&CDean
9/17/2011, 01:31 PM
It probably means that if you're out during bow-hunting season you're not supposed to shoot anything with a rifle. Unless, for instance, you're attacked by a mountain lion. Then shooting that sumbitch is ok.

That/this. Like in Colorado, we all carry a sidearm during muzzleloader season just in case Mr. Bear or Mr. Big Cat decides you're sexy.