PDA

View Full Version : Handgun recommendation?

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 07:38 AM
Background:

Little to no experience with revolvers.

About 450 rounds thru the M1911A.

30 rounds thru M9 - 293/300 expert marksman medal

That's about it.

Want it for home and some travel. You know, the usual reasons, I suppose.

I've researched the M9 and SIG P226 (.40s&w) but am open to suggestions.

TIA

BigJerm7
9/16/2011, 07:41 AM
Love my .40 Glock. Model 27.

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 07:53 AM
Love my .40 Glock. Model 27.

Why do you love it?

I know some Norman PD and that is what they have, Glocks. I'm not sure of their model. That seems to be a good recommendation, however, I'm looking for quality and accuracy, not necessarily cost-efficiency, which I suspect might be why municipalities by their weapons.

salth2o
9/16/2011, 07:56 AM
I have several handguns, but my favorite revolver is my Colt .357 Python. Great shooting and very reliable firearm.

For years I wanted a Kimber .45 Custom CDP, but w/ a new baby the $1300 price tag was not approved by The Redhead. Thus, I opted for a Ruger SR40 for just under $400. I have always liked Ruger, some folks do not. I use this gun for my concealed carry weapon and it pretty much goes anywhere I do. It's got enough punch to do the job, but not a beast to shoot.

I like this gun b/c it is a full frame (as opposed to a compact), but it's also a combo polymer (grips) and steel (barrel, etc) frame. Which makes it light enough to not be cumbersome, but heavy enough to absorb the recoil which makes it fun to shoot. It fits nicely into my Crossbreed inside-the-waistband holster and carries well.

The .40 was a bit of a compromise for me, because I had always wanted the .45. The old quote "why do you carry a .45?" and response, "because they don't make a .46" was driving me to really want the Kimber. However, when I compared specs between the Kimber and Ruger SR40 I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. The Kimber is a single stack .45 that carries 7+1 and the frame is 1.28" wide. The Ruger SR40 is a double stack that carries 15+1 and the frame is 1.27". This sold me because I get double the capacity of ammo w/ a slimmer frame.

Whatever you do....buy American! :)

GottaHavePride
9/16/2011, 07:59 AM
Glocks are designed to be affordable and to work even under less-than-ideal circumstances. They also usually have a pretty large clip capacity compared to similar-sized handguns. The one drawback is there's not a "safety" in the usual sense. There are a lot of built in safeties, but there's not a thumb-operated safety like on, say, a 1911.

I'd go with some sort of Glock or maybe a Springfield Armory XD (or XDm). Not as flashy as a shiny 1911, but they work.

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 08:06 AM
I used to score around a 280 with the M1911A and then improved significantly with the 9mm.

I attributed it to the large caliber .45 v. the 9mm, but always remembered an old gunny that said you can throw the .45 as far as it will shoot. However, he also said if you hit something with it, they are down.

Would the .40 be a good compromise caliber, power v. accuracy, given the above statements?

I very much appreciate the information.

Curly Bill
9/16/2011, 08:16 AM
I have a Glock 23 and like it a lot. However if you're interested in Sigs you can't go wrong at all with them. If I were to do it over I'd get a Sig instead of the Glock. I'd recommend the Sig 228 which is a slightly more compact version if the full-sized 226, or if you'd rather have a .40 instead of 9mm look at the Sig229

C&CDean
9/16/2011, 08:20 AM
I have a Glock Model 30 in .45 and I love it. It's the Small Frame version so it's quite a bit smaller than the 1911. I like it for that reason. It's great for personal protection - but isn't a whole lot of fun for plinking. The grip is a little short to be really comfy to shoot a lot, but the payoff is concealability.

My brother has a S&W .40 which is pretty much interchangeable with the Glock .40. He likes it a lot too.

All that being said, my "go to" gun/s for home protection - which are placed in this order from my bed:

1) Mossberg 12-gauge pistol-gripped riot gun loaded with bird shot. Cut you in half at close range, but won't go through walls and crap. It's within arm's reach from the bed.

2) S&W .357 Magnum with 5 bullets and an open cylinder under the hammer. It's also within arm's reach from the bed.

3) Marlin .22 Mag rifle loaded with 8 rounds. I have to get up and take a step to reach it.

4) Ruger 22.250 loaded with 4 rounds. It's another step away from the .22 mag.

5) Ruger .480 Mag loaded with 5 rounds and an open cylinder under the hammer.

After that, you're in the hallway and kitchen which have a couple of assorted handguns stashed away. There's really not anywhere in my house/garage/barns where I'm further than maybe 15' from something.

What's funny is that I pretty much don't need any of it since where we're located is so safe and quiet, but one never knows...

All that being said, my #1 recommended self-protection weapon would be the .357 revolver with the open cylinder under the hammer. This way if you drop it or throw it across the room it ain't gonna go bang. However, since it's a double action, you just have to point it and pull the trigger (or **** it) either way, your choice and it will go bang. Plus, the .357 will tear some **** up. Also remember that the .357 Sig is not a .357 Mag., and they don't make a .357 Mag in auto.

salth2o
9/16/2011, 08:24 AM
When ammunition, regardless of caliber, is applied to the right anatomy it will be effective. Handgun projectiles do not typically have enough energy to do significant damage to tissue other than what they touch. Thus, a good hollow point combined w/ proficient shooting is your best choice. I also like the fact that my .40 has nearly double the capacity that a .45 would have.

I have never been a Glock fan b/c there is no typical safety. When carrying a firearm inside my waistband, I want to make sure there is a safety and that it is engaged!

..and Deano makes an excellent point about home defense. A shotgun has no equal because you do not have to worry as much about the round flying through your kids bedroom walls and most encounters are during a home invasion are going to be at close range.

dwarthog
9/16/2011, 09:23 AM
The Beretta PX4 Storm is worth a look. Good price and it has always gone bang for me no matter what ammo I fed it. I have it in .40.

Sig 226 is nice but I had issues with stove pipes until I got it broken in. I have this in 9mm.

CZ 75 SP-01 is very nice, great ergo's and at a much friendlier price than the Sig. Haven't had any issues with this one going bang. I have this in 9mm. Kinda of hard to find around here. Academy carries some models from time to time. Outdoor America is a dealer although they don't have any in stock. I ordered mine through them. (I like this one so much I am thinking it needs a companion in .40 cal)

STI is my 1911. It's had some trigger work etc. and is very accurate, and never failed to feed and fire. You can drop some coin here. I recommend chatting with the folks at Brazos Custom's if you are interested in something like this.

Lots of options to choose from!

cleller
9/16/2011, 11:50 AM
The Glock 40's are great, reliable, and easy to clean guns. You really cannot go wrong with them. The only drawback is that semi-autos are a little mysterious to some folks that have not done a lot of shooting. If you do not use them on a regular basis, I can imagine a person being less than confident about loading, cleaning, etc.
In that regard, a good old S&W 38/.357 revolver is still a good standby. Heavier, more prone to jumping around if you jerk the trigger when stressed, etc. It is, however, pretty basic for loading, unloading, cleaning.

The main thing is being familiar and responsible with the thing.

captain_surly
9/16/2011, 01:52 PM
The M1911A is single action only while the M9 is sa/da. There is a big difference in trigger pull weight between single action (around 4 pounds) and double action (up to 12 pounds). Both have a thumb safety and the 1911 also has a grip safety. The 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked and the M9 decocked. The first shot from the M9 is double action and the rest are single action.

I personally love the 1911 design and that single action trigger pull. For concealed carry I alternate between a Dan Wesson Guardian in 45ACP and a Springfield EMP in 9MM depending on attire. I can hit a 5 inch target at 25 yards all day with either. I'm not nearly as accurate with any of my double action only pistols. With quality self defense ammunition a 9MM is plenty of gun and that little EMP is easy to hide. There's a tradeoff in capacity at 7+1 but spare mags are easy to carry.

They are not cheap at $1,350 for the 45 and $1,100 for the 9 but they are well built and reliable. Not to mention beautiful. And life's too short to carry an ugly gun.

saucysoonergal
9/16/2011, 01:56 PM
I don't like Autos. I am a wheel woman. I like the Colts. A diamondback or python is my suggestion. I know you can't buy 'em new anymore, but you will not find a better, more accurate gun.

KantoSooner
9/16/2011, 04:55 PM
I'd suggest going to a gun show where you can pick up and handle a huge number of guns in a short time. My reasoning? If it's not comfortable, you're not going to be as accurate; and damn near anything at any calibre will cause serious rethinking by the shotee.

My most comfortable ever? Luger. But it's over 60 years old and we only shoot it about once a year. So that's not a real suggestion.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/16/2011, 08:57 PM
My wife has a Sig P229 or 226 (i don't remember) we call it "Ham" short for Hamilton because it hits the 10 spot on the target every time. I like the Sigs a lot.

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 09:08 PM
Killed some paper, some cans and an ugly varmit this evening at the local Cleveland County weapon's cache.

Got a real sense of what I like and what scares the **** outta me (big scoped howitzer thingy).

Plus, saw lots of wildlife on a beautiful evening, including two biggo bucks with some serious antennae.

Thanks brother, and all of you who gave me great answers, all of them were right ones!

soonercruiser
9/16/2011, 10:40 PM
Depends on the user(s).
Try going to a place like H&H Gun Range , get aedvice, try some out!

jk the sooner fan
9/17/2011, 07:37 AM
I have the following:

Springfield XDM .40 (in both the full size and 3.8)....i would highly recommend the 3.8- its easily the most accurate gun i own - easy maintenance - never a FTF or FTE

Sprinfield XD .40 sub compact - this is my carry gun - grip is smaller than i'd like but it shoots great

Sig P239 - sub compact .40....currently for sale - but its a great gun

Glock 23 .40 - just picked this up - still familiarizing myself with it

Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded and 1911-A1 MilSpec......love the Loaded version - not so sold on the milspec yet

Kimber Custom Carry - fun to shoot but overpriced imo

the XDM is easily my favorite and "go to gun" - find a gun range that has rentals and try as many as you can - see what fits your hand - what feels good when you shoot it

C&CDean
9/17/2011, 10:00 AM
Killed some paper, some cans and an ugly varmit this evening at the local Cleveland County weapon's cache.

Got a real sense of what I like and what scares the **** outta me (big scoped howitzer thingy).

Plus, saw lots of wildlife on a beautiful evening, including two biggo bucks with some serious antennae.

Thanks brother, and all of you who gave me great answers, all of them were right ones!

He got to handle more firearms last night than he bargained for. Heh.

It was a beautiful evening, and what was funny is Lott was shooting the "howitzer with the scope" (a Ruger .480 Mag) that is pretty dang uncomfy to shoot, and there were about 6 deer just looking at him, then they'd put their head back down and eat some more corn. Right over his head (we were shooting from the porch) were several hummingbirds - who just kept hovering/eating from the feeders the whole time. And yes, I've got a couple of buckzillas, and a whole bunch of other nice bucks out here right now. I think he made his mind up on what type of pistola he wants (??) and he also made a very good shot with a little Ruger .22 pistol on a possum on the halfshell. Right now there's a couple buzzards working on the carcass.

Curly Bill
9/17/2011, 11:56 AM
Yummmmmm....possum.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2011, 12:28 PM
Yummmmmm....possum.

Actually, it was a diller. Ugly, stinky thing...Dean's possum on the half/shell.

marfacowboy
9/17/2011, 12:53 PM
I have a Glock 23 and like it a lot. However if you're interested in Sigs you can't go wrong at all with them. If I were to do it over I'd get a Sig instead of the Glock. I'd recommend the Sig 228 which is a slightly more compact version if the full-sized 226, or if you'd rather have a .40 instead of 9mm look at the Sig229

I carry a Glock 23, as well. See no reason to spend the extra money on a SIG, however. Nice gun if you have money to throw around, but the Glock will do what it's supposed to do when you need it done. Of course, the answer to the question is what actually feels best in your hand. Most ranges that sell guns will let you try them.

Curly Bill
9/17/2011, 02:42 PM
I bought the Glock back when they were the hot thing, but yeah the Sig does feel better in my hand, and I just think they're about the best regular production handguns you can purchase. That being said I have no plans to change anything.

En_Fuego
9/19/2011, 12:45 AM
This for going out on the town

Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Z63Nf32HuKC0CI3e/smithwesson642.jpg

This for home

Smith & Wesson M&P 40
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk4/jpatt319/Blackhawks%20Photos/9mmmp.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
9/19/2011, 08:12 AM
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/archive/apr10/images/judge.jpg

Buy a gun with nuts. BOOM.

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2011, 08:14 AM
if you're going to buy a gun that you want to simply stick in a night stand drawer and leave alone until the bad guy breaks into your house, then get a revolver....you can pull it out 5+ years from now and it'll shoot......a semi-auto requires a bit more maintenance than that - but is a much better carry gun (in my opinion)

diverdog
9/25/2011, 07:04 AM
I used to score around a 280 with the M1911A and then improved significantly with the 9mm.

I attributed it to the large caliber .45 v. the 9mm, but always remembered an old gunny that said you can throw the .45 as far as it will shoot. However, he also said if you hit something with it, they are down.

Would the .40 be a good compromise caliber, power v. accuracy, given the above statements?

I very much appreciate the information.

I just picked up a HK USP compact 45 acp. I really like this pistol, it is very accurate and built extremely well.

diverdog
9/25/2011, 07:07 AM
if you're going to buy a gun that you want to simply stick in a night stand drawer and leave alone until the bad guy breaks into your house, then get a revolver....you can pull it out 5+ years from now and it'll shoot......a semi-auto requires a bit more maintenance than that - but is a much better carry gun (in my opinion)

I always tell people...get a dog and then get a revolver in that order. Revolvers work.

Soonerwake
9/26/2011, 11:05 AM
I suggest that if you're breaking into the Deanarosa, bring a tank.. Other than that, you can't go wrong with a .357 wheel-gun..

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 09:48 AM
The best gun is the one you can always have with you. For me and my lifestyle it is a rifle for the most part.

If you can swing the price the single best carrying handgun is Hi-Power from Cylinder and Slide (IMO). I have carried a Hi-Power more days than not for 30 years.

A lightweight compact wheelgun like the one En Fuego posted is about as good as it gets if you aren't willing to make concessions to carry a handgun. If you have a pocket it is easy to carry. In fact it is probably easier to pack and lighter than your billfold.

Whatever you buy make sure it is durable enough to actually put some rounds through it to learn to use it. If you aren't going to do that a hammer is probably the best suggestion.

Oldnslo
9/27/2011, 10:49 AM
I LOVE my Springfield 1911's (technically 1911-A1's), both of which are 9mm, instead of the traditional .45. If you're looking to carry, check out their EMP, it's a carry-sized 1911. You'll sacrifice nothing for accuracy, and there's minimal kick.

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2011, 11:01 AM
a 1911 in 9mm

*smh.....

Oldnslo
9/27/2011, 11:29 AM
shake it like a polaroid picture, for all I care. They're sweet shooting guns. Everything you like about the precision of the 1911, without the kick or the extra $ for ammo.

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2011, 11:49 AM
just givin you a hard time - i've got two springfield 1911-A1's - in the .45 - great piece

Oldnslo
9/27/2011, 02:17 PM
Didn't mean to sound as harsh as that came off. Saul Good!

C&CDean
9/27/2011, 06:33 PM
Saul Good? I know him.

However, 9mm's are for the girls or target shooters. I don't see no target hanging on you...

OhU1
9/27/2011, 07:25 PM
Jerome Ersland's 2nd gun is a good option to look at. Jerome had about 100 guns (not sure how far away they were from his bed) but I know the 2nd gun worked.

I picked up a Glock 23C and 3 "law enforcement" clips and belt for $200 a few years back from a friend's ex-wife who was a Ok. Co. deputy. Not a bad deal, not a bad gun. I'm sure it'll do the job if the boogy man breaks into my home.

Sooner_Tuf
9/28/2011, 01:03 AM
Saul Good? I know him.

However, 9mm's are for the girls or target shooters. I don't see no target hanging on you...

Don't forget almost every modern military including every single member of NATO. So yeah basically the girls that fight for real.

Why did the US Switch to it twenty five+ years ago? Because 9mm NATO ball will punch through protective gear that a .45 can't leave a dent in.

For civilians it's more about aiming than cartridge choice.

jk the sooner fan
9/28/2011, 07:18 AM
the military didnt switch to 9mm because it could penetrate something the .45 couldnt - which is a silly premise anyway

the military switched for the pure sake of logistics.....on a european battlefield, we could swap ammo and all be shooting the same thing as our NATO brothers with 9mm pistols.......you simply can't tell me that POS Beretta 92 is a better handgun than any 1911......as soon as the 1911 patent expired, how many companies have spent years copying it? ALL of them

yes, technically speaking the .45 doesnt have anymore "knockdown power" than a 9mm or a .40 caliber - and it's all about shot placement......but to suggest that the 9mm has a penetrating power that the .45 doesnt .....well, i dont agree at all

if it did - then the 9mm would be the overwhelming law enforcement round - but its not - a majority of LEO's are carrying .40 s&w

Sooner_Tuf
9/30/2011, 04:06 PM
The military switched for a lot of reasons, one of them being the 9mm NATO round punches body armor significantly better than .45 ACP.

Yes the Beretta 92 is a better handgun. The 1911's in use were all pretty much worn out. If they were felt to be superior new ones could have been acquired. When the 92 was selected in 1985 all the possible replacement pistols were run through the same tests. The 92 and the Sig Sauer were the only guns considered at the end. Beretta ended up winning the contract because their gun scored the highest and they were willing to build them in the US.

Patents aren't really relevant John Browning licensed tons of makers from the start. There was never any exclusivity.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not the higher velocity smaller frontal area 9mm bullet penetrates better than the slower larger .45 ACP projectile.

Are you seriously using cops make good decisions as a basis in your argument? I don't know what the majority of cops carry. I know the majority of cops have never carried a 1911 in .45 ACP. Why is that? Cops aren't a good source for information anyway. Most police carry what is available to them. Most departments were carrying 38's and 9mm's when the famous FBI shooting happened in the 80's that prayed on the insecurities of people to buy bigger bore handguns. The FBI originally went to the 10mm which didn't last very long. The problem in wasn't the firearms involved. It was a lack or preparedness on the Agents behalf and the fact they didn't hit their targets when they did shoot. It's true they were outgunned because one of their foes was armed with a rifle. But what really whipped them was they weren't prepared and they didn't react well when the criminals engaged them.

The 1911 is a great handgun. It's been wildly successful as competition handgun. It is a great platform. However there are newer better (safer) platforms for fighting handguns.

All this is basically jacking this thread anyway. No pistol caliber available in a carry gun shines much above any other and certainly marksmanship is going to be the deciding factor.

My selection to carry a Hi-Power isn't because of the cartridge it is chambered for. I just like the whole package and how compact it is and what it offers. It is the right choice for me. I can afford any handgun that I might chose to carry. In fact there is a pretty good chance I already own most of the ones people might suggest anyway. But I am not caught up in the details of a certain bullet is better than another or any other. I don't believe that. I think hardball is better than anything across the board and hitting what you aim at is what matters.

jk the sooner fan
9/30/2011, 04:48 PM
if the Beretta 92 was such a great gun - why was it replaced so quickly?

cops have never carried 1911's? really? show me a link to back that up

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2011, 07:32 PM
1911 was 100 years ago fellas. Can we talk about some newer guns?;-)

C&CDean
9/30/2011, 07:42 PM
And once again, jk and I agree on something. WTF?

A .357 will out "penetrate" any of the mentioned rounds - but cops don't carry them anymore because they ain't sexy.

Sooner_Tuf
10/1/2011, 05:03 AM
if the Beretta 92 was such a great gun - why was it replaced so quickly?

cops have never carried 1911's? really? show me a link to back that up

AFAIK it is still the issue handgun, the M9 that is. I don't keep up much anymore but I believe all the programs to replace the M4 rifle and the M9 pistol were shelved. My step son is carrying an M9 in Afghanistan as I type this.

There are a half dozen other handguns that are used in limited numbers by individual units. But I do know Beretta's contract was extended through 2015 to provide the general issue sidearm.

As to cops carrying 1911's. Sure cops have carried 1911's. Mostly on smaller departments where they are providing their own weapon. I have never seen or heard of a department issuing them. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll be able to find one that has three or four officers that all carry one. I don't think you'll find a large department that does or ever has. I don't think you can even find one that will allow a street cop to carry one.

I'm old enough my first issued sidearm was a 1911. I think it was older than me. It was loose as a goose but was reliable enough. It had about 50 feet of usable accuracy. We carried them loaded with seven rounds in the magazine hammer down on an empty chamber. I own several highly tuned 1911's that are incredibly accurate but they are not representative of the guns being issued.

I think painting the 1911 as the gun cops carry is a really bad argument. I don't know the numbers but I would guess there are more Glocks out there than anything. Maybe more than everything else combined at this point.

But again I wouldn't base my decision on something cops do. I don't think they are particularly well known for making good decisions. Plus just about everything a municipality purchases is heavily based on purchase price.

I am guessing you are or were a cop. If so I would be more interested in your doughnut knowledge than your weapon recommendations and I don't even eat doughnuts ;)

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2011, 07:52 AM
i'm not arguing that cops use 1911's on a regular or often basis - you said they didnt ever, and i simply countered that it wasnt entirely true - i know of a couple of detectives on the Houston Police force that carry 1911's......personal choice - i'd be shocked if there was a police department that actually issued 1911's - it was a gun designed for a combat pistol - as you well know

there's an article in one of the recent American Riflemans - on the history of the FBI's choice of issue guns - and for decades, cops carried wheel guns - most likely in the .357 variety- THAT was the weapon of choice

then the polymer frame semi-auto's came around - and yes, i'll concede that Glock is the predominant gun being carried - for many reasons (the FBI uses Glock)....Army CID uses the Sig Sauer

the FBI actually went - for a very short time - with a 10mm Smith and Wesson semi-auto - horrible choice in my opinion

but today - i feel safe saying that a majority of police departments across the US are using .40 - and there has to be a reason for it - you can dismiss it and say that its because they eat too many donuts or arent capable enough to make a smart choice

i've got 3 1911's - and 4 .40 polymer frames - they've each got their own degree of accuracy

we can agree to disagree....or you can take personal shots - either way is fine

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2011, 09:00 AM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2011, 09:02 AM
And once again, jk and I agree on something. WTF?

A .357 will out "penetrate" any of the mentioned rounds - but cops don't carry them anymore because they ain't sexy.

i think if you could find a .357 in a semi-auto - they'd carry them

the .38special in 130grain is actually better

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts

That chart, taken at face value, is rather informative and useful, taking into account there are still other variations in type of round and loads.

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2011, 09:17 AM
if i were still carrying a badge - the .40 s&w round would be what i'd carry - hands down

i take my 1911's to the range simply to work on being a more accurate shooter - its a tougher gun to shoot in my opinion

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2011, 09:31 AM
I consistently shot 275/300 with the old Navy 1911's.

With an M9 I shot 293/300 first time.

Yes it was newer, but as a neophyte, I simply enjoyed hitting the middle of the target almost every time. Put my medal on my uniform and never fired it again.

This thread is about the compromise between the results I just wrote about above.

I found I like the .357 wheel gun after shooting it at the Deanarossa, but I still wonder if the .40 is a consideration.

Sooner_Tuf
10/2/2011, 12:03 PM
jk, my point is no handgun is a great choice and of the common options there isn't much difference between them.

I think people get caught up on a particular number (be it fps or muzzle energy), a particular bullet design, or maybe the platform it is launched from (1911, Glock, etc). I think you are a little guilty of getting caught up in it also. The 10mm is a horrible choice in your opinion but the .40 (a shorter cased slower 10mm) is perfect.

The reality of it all is all common handgun rounds are capable of inflicting mortal wounds if the shooter does his part. None are particularly great if the shooter fails.

Sooner_Tuf
10/2/2011, 12:04 PM
jk, my point is no handgun is a great choice and of the common options there isn't much difference between them.

I think people get caught up on a particular number (be it fps or muzzle energy), a particular bullet design, or maybe the platform it is launched from (1911, Glock, etc). I think you are a little guilty of getting caught up in it also. The 10mm is a horrible choice in your opinion but the .40 (a shorter cased slower 10mm) is perfect.

The reality of it all is all common handgun rounds are capable of inflicting mortal wounds if the shooter does his part. None are particularly great if the shooter fails.

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 08:50 AM
After careful consideration of my needs and budget, I picked this up at Dean's favorite gun shop yesterday afternoon. I handled several pieces, but this one just felt right in my hand. Went to the Deanarossa afterwards and successfully killed a can.

Thanks to everyone that gave their opinions. Now I want about a 1/2 dozen more...guns, not opinions!

Stainless Ruger Security Six in .357mag.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3080/rugersecuritysix04.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/rugersecuritysix04.jpg/)

For some reason, I feel like I'm channeling my inner '80s Cop.

salth2o
10/13/2011, 08:54 AM
Nice choice. The .357 is a versatile and effective weapon. You prolly know this, but you can shoot .38 Special for practizing instead of teh more spenive .357 ammo.

Congrats on the purchase. Now spend lots of time on the range and become a skilled marksman. Shoot for center mass. Aim small, miss small.

Zin
10/13/2011, 09:21 AM
In honor of your new purchase!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/Liberator13/collateral.gif

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2011, 09:42 AM
good stuff!!!

btk108
10/13/2011, 06:34 PM
Just picked this one up to carry on the bike. Recommended by by brother-in-law "gun nut", LEO buddy and the OHP Trooper that sold it to me after trying to talk me into the nice new S&W he had. Small enough the wife can use it also and I like the wheel deal because of the jostling.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/prod_pgs/13811.gif

AlbqSooner
10/13/2011, 07:56 PM
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/archive/apr10/images/judge.jpg

Buy a gun with nuts. BOOM.

The Judge is one that I would like to add to my arsenal. I just like the idea of having a wheel gun 5 inch barrel (or you can go with 3 1/2 inch up to 10 inch) .410 shotgun that is legal.

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2011, 10:32 PM
Just picked this one up to carry on the bike. Recommended by by brother-in-law "gun nut", LEO buddy and the OHP Trooper that sold it to me after trying to talk me into the nice new S&W he had. Small enough the wife can use it also and I like the wheel deal because of the jostling.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/prod_pgs/13811.gif

i'm not sure i could ever get used to a hammerless wheel gun

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 10:41 PM
The Judge is one that I would like to add to my arsenal. I just like the idea of having a wheel gun 5 inch barrel (or you can go with 3 1/2 inch up to 10 inch) .410 shotgun that is legal.

S&W now has the Governor. Fires .410, .45 Colt and .45ACP, pick your chamber. I considered getting one, but heard they can't make 'em fast enough and the wait is very long.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9152/governorct162411rcmyk.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/governorct162411rcmyk.jpg/)

Soonerus
10/13/2011, 10:57 PM
So what do you recommend to the novice ??

AlbqSooner
10/14/2011, 06:37 AM
The Judge or Governor, Rus.

Lott's Bandana
10/25/2011, 02:50 PM
I just finished my CC class, and then found out I actually didn't need to take it, being prior military.

Today I purchased this for my CC, to go with my "new" Security Six for my home:

RUGER SR40c

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6733/rugerh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/rugerh.jpg/)

salth2o
10/25/2011, 02:54 PM
I just finished my CC class, and then found out I actually didn't need to take it, being prior military.

Today I purchased this for my CC, to go with my "new" Security Six for my home:

RUGER SR40c

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6733/rugerh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/rugerh.jpg/)

That's a beauty! How do you like it? I love the way my SR40 fits my hand.

Lott's Bandana
10/25/2011, 03:06 PM
It's in the mail.

But I dryfired one at Gunworld last week. I'm guessing, given the information you Peem'd me, it prolly fits in my hand the same way your SR40 fits in yours! Really comfortable and an extension of my hand.

I went with the black because for some reason I thought the flash of stainless would be counter-productive at night. Not sure that's a good reason, but it worked for me.

Killerbees
10/29/2011, 02:35 PM
Late to the thread I know, but if you are gonna consider a carry gun sometime in the future then I recommend the Walther PPS .40 cal. I use one, and I like it alot. Its got 3 different clips that can extend the grip. With the short clip in my pinkie finger winds up under the grip, the med one is perfect and the long one would be needed for someone with large hands. The compact and thin design makes it perfect for a carry gun. Don Hume also has a nice carry inside belt carry holster that works well. Its priced a bit more than most but worth it imo.

http://c1198852.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/1671893.jpg

Compared to a glock for reference, walther on the right, the glock in the bottom pic is a 26 not sure about top pic

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/70969.jpg
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6519/ppsg26pt5.jpg

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 01:31 PM
I received my CC license last week. My initial enthusiasm has tempered some so that I didn't feel the need to go walk around WalMart "packing", just 'cause I can. I have noticed I am driving slower on teh highway, especially in Arkansas.

My SR40C shoots well, but like Dean had told me before, Ruger firearms are incredibly tight and sometimes I have to monkey-fist things to get them in the right place. I am hoping this changes as the gun breaks in.

Having said that, my .357 Ruger wheel gun is pretty darn remarkable. I put the target out at 50 yards and placed 6 rounds within 3" just a schosh at 10 o'clock to the center. That was with .38 special FMJ shells, Weaver stance.
I almost giggled.

Killerbees, that Walther is a beautiful weapon. Is that a hinged trigger-guard?? My father has an ancient PPK that he will likely be buried with.

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 01:35 PM
Tell me more about "Not" needing the CC course?

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 01:39 PM
Oh an I bot this a few years ago Had a Broken firing pin ( which is common Prob with em)
Replaced it with a New one thats not as breakable
Have about 80 er 85 bucks in the weapon Counting the 1st box of shells
I like it a lot its 7.,65x 25

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 01:50 PM
Tell me more about "Not" needing the CC course?

Sorry bro.

§21-1290.15

PERSONS EXEMPT FROM TRAINING COURSE

6. A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National
Guard duty or military reserves within twenty (20) years preceding the
date of the application for a concealed handgun license pursuant to
the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, who is a legal
resident of this state, and who has been trained and qualified in the
use of handguns;

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry bro.

§21-1290.15

use of handguns;

Well hell Guess I waited to long
But hell I was way past that time limit when the Law was passed .

delhalew
12/19/2011, 02:07 PM
After taking the class, I put the kibash on my CC permit. Due to a federal law concerning carrying a firearm whilst involved in interstate commerce, 80% of the time it would be illegal for me to carry. Bummer.

jk the sooner fan
12/19/2011, 02:52 PM
I received my CC license last week. My initial enthusiasm has tempered some so that I didn't feel the need to go walk around WalMart "packing", just 'cause I can. I have noticed I am driving slower on teh highway, especially in Arkansas.

My SR40C shoots well, but like Dean had told me before, Ruger firearms are incredibly tight and sometimes I have to monkey-fist things to get them in the right place. I am hoping this changes as the gun breaks in.

Having said that, my .357 Ruger wheel gun is pretty darn remarkable. I put the target out at 50 yards and placed 6 rounds within 3" just a schosh at 10 o'clock to the center. That was with .38 special FMJ shells, Weaver stance.
I almost giggled.

Killerbees, that Walther is a beautiful weapon. Is that a hinged trigger-guard?? My father has an ancient PPK that he will likely be buried with.

i actually know of a group of CHL holders that suggest you DO walk around a busy wal-mart with your weapon concealed - just to get used to being able to move about without showing it.....

congrats on finding a gun that you are comfy with - thats most important

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 03:56 PM
i actually know of a group of CHL holders that suggest you DO walk around a busy wal-mart with your weapon concealed - just to get used to being able to move about without showing it.....

congrats on finding a gun that you are comfy with - thats most important

That makes sense.

I have been working on getting used to my itp holster by going on hikes in the woods or in parks, places where I probably would want to have it anyway, so it is serving two purposes. I really don't go to WalMart much anyway...

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 04:10 PM
That makes sense.

I have been working on getting used to my itp holster by going on hikes in the woods or in parks, places where I probably would want to have it anyway, so it is serving two purposes. I really don't go to WalMart much anyway...
If I went to Wally world I'd be carryin 3 guns

SoonerTerry
12/19/2011, 04:13 PM
Oh an I bot this a few years ago Had a Broken firing pin ( which is common Prob with em)
Replaced it with a New one thats not as breakable
Have about 80 er 85 bucks in the weapon Counting the 1st box of shells
I like it a lot its 7.,65x 25

Is that the russian oficer side arm?

SoonerTerry
12/19/2011, 04:14 PM
Sorry bro.

§21-1290.15

use of handguns;

Sheet, I better hurry

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 05:24 PM
Is that the russian oficer side arm?

Think so

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 06:20 PM
Sheet, I better hurry

It'll save ya some $$$!!

diverdog
12/21/2011, 11:29 PM
After careful consideration of my needs and budget, I picked this up at Dean's favorite gun shop yesterday afternoon. I handled several pieces, but this one just felt right in my hand. Went to the Deanarossa afterwards and successfully killed a can.

Thanks to everyone that gave their opinions. Now I want about a 1/2 dozen more...guns, not opinions!

Stainless Ruger Security Six in .357mag.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3080/rugersecuritysix04.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/rugersecuritysix04.jpg/)

For some reason, I feel like I'm channeling my inner '80s Cop.

You will never go wrong with a revolver.

olevetonahill
12/21/2011, 11:46 PM

I love my revolvers
Have had peeps say " But I've got 10 rounds er 17 rounds" I jes look at em an ax em " Ya that bad a dayum shot?"

hawaii 5-0
12/21/2011, 11:51 PM
I love my revolvers
Have had peeps say " But I've got 10 rounds er 17 rounds" I jes look at em an ax em " Ya that bad a dayum shot?"

What if ya have to defend you and yours against a whole gang?

Nice display of handguns fellas.

5-0

olevetonahill
12/22/2011, 12:12 AM
What if ya have to defend you and yours against a whole gang?

Nice display of handguns fellas.

5-0

Thats what I got a Mini14 an an SKS with 30 rd Mags fer .

Lott's Bandana
5/13/2012, 12:38 PM
Just picked up one of these:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/645/bodyguard.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/bodyguard.jpg/)

S&W Bodyguard .380

I like this weapon for several reasons. You may disagree with some of them.

1. Slide lock, and locks back at magazine empty
2. Thumb safety
3. Fires without magazine in
4. Hammer not striker giving it double trigger pull capability
5. Built in laser with on/off switch - not necessary but who knows?
6. Good iron sights
7. Smaller than my SR40C and can fit in back pocket of summer shorts

olevetonahill
5/13/2012, 01:01 PM

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/645/bodyguard.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/bodyguard.jpg/)

S&W Bodyguard .380

2. Thumb safety
6. Good iron sights

Heh, Before Long ya gonna have ya an arsenal

Good Lookin weapons my friend

Lott's Bandana
5/13/2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah, funny how that works Vet.

Picked up a Ruger 10-.22 in the Fall as well.

Someday I'll get a Colt Navy 1911A...kind of the only thing I really want now. Gotta save up some ducats for that one.

olevetonahill
5/13/2012, 02:32 PM
I like the 10-22 , did ya get ya a nanner clip fer it?

Jacie
5/13/2012, 03:49 PM
Nice thread, lotsa cool guns. Wish my state wasn't so anal about handguns. Had to leave em in Oklahoma when i moved here. Still have my long guns though . . .

olevetonahill
5/13/2012, 03:55 PM
Nice thread, lotsa cool guns. Wish my state wasn't so anal about handguns. Had to leave em in Oklahoma when i moved here. Still have my long guns though . . .

Ya caint have a HG? WTF ?

Jacie
5/13/2012, 04:00 PM
You can but it is not like OK or TX. Its a felony if you have one and no permit.

olevetonahill
5/13/2012, 04:05 PM
You can but it is not like OK or TX. Its a felony if you have one and no permit.

Thats just ****ed up

**** them Dayum Yankees

Hell I got 3 with in reach of me right now

jk the sooner fan
5/13/2012, 04:23 PM

S&W Bodyguard .380

2. Thumb safety
6. Good iron sights

i looked long and hard at one of the S&W bodyguard's....i think the laser is an unnecessary add on but it doesnt hurt to have it....i came "this" (pinching finger and thumb together) close to buying it - but opted for this instead

Sig P238
http://www.themarksman.net/item_photos/large/sig_sauer_p238_with_rosewood_grips____380_acp_1669 .jpg

Lott's Bandana
5/13/2012, 05:16 PM
i looked long and hard at one of the S&W bodyguard's....i think the laser is an unnecessary add on but it doesnt hurt to have it....i came "this" (pinching finger and thumb together) close to buying it - but opted for this instead

Sig P238
http://www.themarksman.net/item_photos/large/sig_sauer_p238_with_rosewood_grips____380_acp_1669 .jpg

I did the exact opposite. If I hadn't "accidentally" stopped at a gun show today and "accidentally" found the SWBG, I'd likely still be researching the SIG.

Lott's Bandana
5/13/2012, 05:20 PM
I like the 10-22 , did ya get ya a nanner clip fer it?

No, but I got the one with the shorter length wood reach under the barrel, giving it a longer barrel look, and scoped it, making it look like a mean azz sniper rifle, even if it is only a plinker.

olevetonahill
5/13/2012, 05:24 PM
No, but I got the one with the shorter length wood reach under the barrel, giving it a longer barrel look, and scoped it, making it look like a mean azz sniper rifle, even if it is only a plinker.

Thats what I like about em, They fun and relatively cheap to play with

jk the sooner fan
5/13/2012, 06:49 PM
I did the exact opposite. If I hadn't "accidentally" stopped at a gun show today and "accidentally" found the SWBG, I'd likely still be researching the SIG.

i think you'll be happy with what you got - i've heard a lot of good things about it....every pistol i own is either a Sig or a Springfield....but the latest S&W product - the Shield has my attention - as does the Springfield XDs

C&CDean
5/13/2012, 07:07 PM
It's all good...except the whole .380 thing. I can't get over the fact that's a chick round. I know, I know...

My sister-in-law laid her hand wide open firing a POS .380 my brother bought her for home protection. She now has a Ruger .44 wheel gun and doesn't worry about cutting her hand. Now, it's just her forehead she has to worry about. Heh.

C&CDean
5/13/2012, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, anybody need a puppy? ****ing POS dumped 3 on us last night while I was in Houston. Cuter than ****, and I've already broken my own rule/s. Two are black labby with a touch of weinerdog, and the other is brownish with a touch of coon dog. They're litter mates (by their teeth), but damn, that momma was a whore. There's lab, shepherd, dachsund, and maybe even a little pit bull. Sweet puppies. Any takers? If you're interested, I'll post pics. I'm gonna leave it at that.

olevetonahill
5/13/2012, 07:12 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, anybody need a puppy? ****ing POS dumped 3 on us last night while I was in Houston. Cuter than ****, and I've already broken my own rule/s. Two are black labby with a touch of weinerdog, and the other is brownish with a touch of coon dog. They're litter mates (by their teeth), but damn, that momma was a whore. There's lab, shepherd, dachsund, and maybe even a little pit bull. Sweet puppies. Any takers? If you're interested, I'll post pics. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Blue said He'd take all these strays before we shoot em

I say Box em up and send em to him

How old are they ya think ?

jk the sooner fan
5/13/2012, 08:14 PM
.380 is not my round of choice by any means - but its a pocket gun - and it fits neatly into my shorts pocket - or jeans - or whatever

its handy for what its made for

having said that - i wouldnt want to get into a real gun fight with it

Curly Bill
5/13/2012, 10:53 PM
I got a Beretta Tomcat in .32ACP I carry when I just absolutely don't wanna carry anything else. Defintely wouldn't go looking for a gunfight with it, but I figure in a pinch it's better than a rock.

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2012, 06:41 AM
sometimes a noise maker is all you need! :)

Lott's Bandana
5/14/2012, 06:46 AM
I got a Beretta Tomcat in .32ACP I carry when I just absolutely don't wanna carry anything else. Defintely wouldn't go looking for a gunfight with it, but I figure in a pinch it's better than a rock.

Or 6 rocks!

My SR40C will stay in the car, the .380 in my pocket when I'm making sales calls in SWOKC, Lawton and along Admiral.

I just bought an Uncle Mike's #2 holster so my back pocket prints like a wallet instead of a chick gun. (grin)

C&CDean
5/14/2012, 09:37 AM
Blue said He'd take all these strays before we shoot em

I say Box em up and send em to him

How old are they ya think ?

I'm guessing maybe 10-12 weeks. Well fed. Momma gave them a bath and put Frontline on them last night (they were covered with fleas). My kid is putting them on his facebook deal trying to find someone who'll take them. ****, sometimes I hate living in the country.

KantoSooner
5/14/2012, 10:05 AM
On the plus side, I've been feeding and watering a volunteer that looks like a cross between an English Setter and an Aussie Cattle Dog. Kind of grey and black and white spottedy kind of thing with a setter face and build. Loose joints and loose skin. Absolutely worthless beast. Perfect companion.
I've talked to vets, SPCA, cops, etc., so I'm not trying to steal somebody's dog. But I won't be upset if he ends up staying.

jk the sooner fan
8/25/2012, 09:44 AM
for those of you that get the American Rifleman magazine - courtesy of an NRA membership - there is an EXCELLENT article in the newest issue on "knock down" power of handguns

very thorough research and pretty interesting piece

not available on their website at the moment - but i think they add the articles once the magazine has been on the streets for awhile

AlboSooner
8/25/2012, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to add that if you want to conceal carry, Ruger LP9 is a fantastic choice.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2012, 10:01 AM
My wife is looking at th S&W M&P Shield.

jk the sooner fan
8/25/2012, 10:03 AM
Sig for the win! :)

C&CDean
8/25/2012, 11:15 AM
Sig for the win! :)

A guy I work with came up to me the other day and goes "you wanna buy a pistol?" I go "what is it?" He goes "a Sig .45." I go "how much?" He goes "$400." I go "let me see it and take it to my gun guy." I look at it, and it's pretty raggedy. I take it to KD and he looks it over and goes "this thing has fired literally thousands and thousands of rounds. Well used for sure." I go "what's it worth?" He goes "to me, maybe $450 or so."

I was shocked. I would have gave the guy $250 maybe. So I go "you wanna buy it for $400?" He opens his wallet and hands me 4 Benjamins. This is a very seasoned gunsmith and gun shop owner. He knows what they're worth. I just might have to pick up a Sig one of these days. It's just hard to quit the Glocks.

jk the sooner fan
8/25/2012, 12:09 PM
i know Glock is really popular - they're just not for me - maybe its the way they fit in my hand - i dunno - i want to like them because they're so reliable

i'm a Sig or Springfield guy - i bought that new Springfield XDs - the little sub .45...my lordy what a sweet little pistol

i've got two 1911's - one sig and one springfield...all my polymer handguns are springfield - it's just a "feel thing" i guess

400 for a Sig 45 - he'll list that at 500 i bet!

8/25/2012, 01:13 PM
Where do you work where a co-worker asks you, "you wanna buy a pistol?"

jk the sooner fan
8/25/2012, 05:04 PM

texas?

C&CDean
8/25/2012, 05:48 PM

The Post Office...not anymore. When people asked me what I taught at the Postal Training Center I'd look them in the eye and say "marksmanship." Heh.

Car dealership. We have people trade in guns and crap all the time. It's nothing to see a couple shotguns and a rifle or pistol up in the sales tower. Mechanics throw corn out and then shoot the birds with pellet rifles all the time. Gotta love small-town Oklahoma.