PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Resigns Over Global Warming

soonercruiser
9/15/2011, 09:53 PM
Planet Earth - SCITECH
Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Resigns Over Global Warming

The global warming theory left him out in the cold.

Dr. Ivar Giaever, a former professor with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the 1973 winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday, Sept. 13, from the premier physics society in disgust over its officially stated policy that "global warming is occurring."

The official position of the American Physical Society (APS) supports the theory that man's actions have inexorably led to the warming of the planet, through increased emissions of carbon dioxide.

Giaever does not agree -- and put it bluntly and succinctly in the subject line of his email, reprinted at Climate Depot, a website devoted to debunking the theory of man-made climate change.

"I resign from APS," Giaever wrote.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/14/nobel-prize-winning-physicist-resigns-from-top-physics-group-over-global/#ixzz1Y51qmqEi

TheHumanAlphabet
9/16/2011, 03:25 AM
Smart man!

TUSooner
9/16/2011, 07:57 AM
It IS pretty shocking for a group of scientists to use the word "INCONTROVERTIBLE" with regard to something that is so obviously controverted ... by scientists, not just the political babblers.

But I think cruiser should get carded for posting political stuff in the SO. :tongue:

lexsooner
9/16/2011, 12:02 PM
It's more newsworthy that something like 99% of scientists who belong to the National Academy of Sciences agree with the global warming theory.

C&CDean
9/16/2011, 12:06 PM
I know a Nobel winner who I wish to hell would resign. And with that, off to the political forum...

TUSooner
9/16/2011, 12:11 PM
Hmmm, funny how the Nobel Prize is meaningless --- unless you won one and agree with me!!

By the way, that was not a snide reply to Dean. When I want to bash Dean, I do it openly.... under someone else's name. :wink:

badger
9/16/2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think people that "believe" in global warming are crazy. It just makes sense to them, so whatever.

I personally do not think global warming exists to the extent and effect that "experts" are warning us about. I have no doubt that big, polluted cities are warmer than rural, clean air areas. We've all lived this, we all know this. That's not what global warming warners are arguing. They're saying that there's longterm repercussions from global warming that unless action is taken, our temperatures on average everywhere will continue to rise.

From pouring over meteorological stats on a regular basis, I can see that this isn't the case from my humble, non-scientific perspective. We are just now tying and breaking records for low temperatures set in the 50s, snowfall records set back who-knows-when, high temps set during the Dust Bowl... all in the same year.

We aren't warmer now than we were 10 years ago. We are just following weather patterns that we've experienced many times before in state, U.S. and global history.

The drought that's hitting Oklahoma and Texas? It's La Nina. It happens. We'll get over it. Less rain = higher temps = misery. It's not global warming. It's a weather phenomenon that has happened before iPods, massive air conditioning units and SUVs.

Now, I don't mind some of their suggestions about reducing emissions. I personally don't have asthma to my knowledge, but if I did, I'm sure I would breathe a lot easier on ozone alert days if there was a little bit less smog in the big city areas.

The suggestion that global warming is a baaaaad thing that needs to be addressed immediately? Zzzzz. The warners have even admitted that if we halt all new emissions and keep it at the same level now for the next 50 years, our conditions will still worsen. And even if we in the U.S. don't ignore this inconvenience of truths, I guarantee you that developing nations like China are not going to stop smogging up the globe's air in the name of Al Gore.

Soonerjeepman
9/16/2011, 03:48 PM
without quoting...AMEN Badger...AMEN...

badger
9/16/2011, 03:52 PM
I think it's disrespectful to call someone's professional work or beliefs a hoax, so I don't want anyone to get that idea. I just don't agree that global warming is a problem to the extent that some people are saying.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/16/2011, 08:24 PM
without quoting...AMEN Badger...AMEN...

I will also Amen Badg...

As a degreed Meteorologist, yes a real one, not a fake TV one like Mike Morgan, ch. 4 Chief Geographer ;), I wonder why so many people have drunk the Man Caused GW kool-aid? I think it is a more liberal, progressive issue in order to make people act like the GW enthusiasts want people to act, like recycle, stop fossil fuel use, banning plastic t-shirt bags, etc.

I am not opposed to any of the above, just being told to do this and that by taking my choice to choose away.

Funny, most scientists against GW are meterologists. Most for are the physics and the climatologists. I would hand the favor to meteorologists as they deal with daily measurements and know the variability of those. As Badg mentions, there is a lot of change and that is normal. Plus we have only about 120 years of data in the U.S. I won't mention all the reasons I am opposed to the thought that the world is in a significant GW, but tell that to the people in Europe in the 1600s during the mini-ice age about GW. The world's weather changes, has always, I just don't believe that GW is human caused and I think this is an opportunity for a group of people to bend the world to how they think people should act...

TitoMorelli
9/16/2011, 09:38 PM
I will also Amen Badg...

As a degreed Meteorologist, yes a real one, not a fake TV one like Mike Morgan, ch. 4 Chief Geographer ;), I wonder why so many people have drunk the Man Caused GW kool-aid? I think it is a more liberal, progressive issue in order to make people act like the GW enthusiasts want people to act, like recycle, stop fossil fuel use, banning plastic t-shirt bags, etc.

I am not opposed to any of the above, just being told to do this and that by taking my choice to choose away.

Funny, most scientists against GW are meterologists. Most for are the physics and the climatologists. I would hand the favor to meteorologists as they deal with daily measurements and know the variability of those. As Badg mentions, there is a lot of change and that is normal. Plus we have only about 120 years of data in the U.S. I won't mention all the reasons I am opposed to the thought that the world is in a significant GW, but tell that to the people in Europe in the 1600s during the mini-ice age about GW. The world's weather changes, has always, I just don't believe that GW is human caused and I think this is an opportunity for a group of people to bend the world to how they think people should act...

Does Dr. Heidi Cullen know about your heretical views?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wvvb4QJjxKQ/Ra_NwTQaKOI/AAAAAAAAAAY/p26IIa1F1rg/s400/Skeptic.jpg

soonercruiser
9/16/2011, 09:45 PM
Hmmm, funny how the Nobel Prize is meaningless --- unless you won one and agree with me!!

By the way, that was not a snide reply to Dean. When I want to bash Dean, I do it openly.... under someone else's name. :wink:

Stop hacking my account!
:smug:

TheHumanAlphabet
9/16/2011, 10:40 PM
Does Dr. Heidi Cullen know about your heretical views?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wvvb4QJjxKQ/Ra_NwTQaKOI/AAAAAAAAAAY/p26IIa1F1rg/s400/Skeptic.jpg
Heh... Where is she now? Not on TWC as far as I have seen...

TitoMorelli
9/16/2011, 10:44 PM
Heh... Where is she now? Not on TWC as far as I have seen...

Found her - I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_Central

TheHumanAlphabet
9/16/2011, 10:51 PM
As Mrs. THA would call her "heidi a-cup" is a Leftie Columbia jerk. I think got railroaded outa TWC with her comments about pulling accreditation. Sounds Al Gorish.

sappstuf
9/17/2011, 07:13 AM
The claim (how can you measure the average temperature of the whole earth for a whole year?) is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years, which (if true) means to me is that the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this ‘warming’ period.

Seems like a valid point to me..

bigfatjerk
9/17/2011, 07:54 AM
My views are echoed best by Carlin's rant on the environment which is so funny but so true. The environmental movement is headed by people that don't give a damn about global warming. They are just vain about where they happen to be. They don't give a rats *** if their actions actually save the environment see Al Gore as example number 1.

SoonerLaw09
9/17/2011, 08:16 AM
Love the sig BFJ. Neil had some great lyrics back in the day. Unfortunately lately he's turned a lot more liberal, and there's a lot of religion-bashing in Rush's songs now, which makes me sad, because their music sounds better than it ever has.

And to add to the above opinions on GW, there is also a lot of grant money flowing to universities whose science depts. are "studying" this "phenomenon". Financial incentive to perpetuate a theory, even if there's solid evidence that it's not viable.

Okieflyer
9/17/2011, 09:00 AM
Why are you guys debating this? There is NO debate! It is "INCONTROVERTIBLE"!

:victorious: