PDA

View Full Version : Worst college town you've visited?

cleller
9/15/2011, 08:25 PM
Thinking about the whole ESPN Road Trip weekend; so for some of you good Road Warriors out there, what is the worst place you've visited in your travels? As in, "how in the world can they recruit a kid to play here?"

Now this has lots of variables, but we've all wondered the same thing from time to time. Generally, I think folks would say Boulder is a pretty nice place, but cold. Lubbock? Hot. Windy. Flat. You get the idea. Not that Norman is the end of the yellow brick road, but its a nice place, with great facilities.

Dio
9/15/2011, 08:29 PM
Manhattan Kansas- sit in the lower bowl and get splinters in your ***, or sit in the upper deck where you can see the north pole. And they cheer for first downs like a bunch of tards

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 08:29 PM
Stillwater...I'm not trying to be funny. I've never understood the appeal to that town.

Petro-Sooner
9/15/2011, 08:30 PM
I would agree to Stillwater. Been to a@m once but I swear it felt like a cult. I got an odd feeling being there.

Soonerus
9/15/2011, 08:31 PM
College Station/Lubbock...tie...

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 08:32 PM
Of all the college campuses I've visited (and I've had the fortune, or misfortune, to visit many), I'd have to say that the worst was Lubbock/Texas Tech. I had to live there for a year (a long time ago), and I still don't understand how they get any kid to go there.

Among the top campuses I've visited are Tennessee and North Carolina.

Still biased though, and Norman is the best college campus in the country.

SoonerPride93
9/15/2011, 08:32 PM
Manhattan Kansas- sit in the lower bowl and get splinters in your ***, or sit in the upper deck where you can see the north pole. And they cheer for first downs like a bunch of tards

Manhattan is a great town and a true "college" town. I like the city and the K-State games when I attend. (family are alum)

Blue
9/15/2011, 08:39 PM
Starkville, Miss is nowheresville USA.

Charlottesville-UVA, Oxford-Ole Miss, Tuscaloosa, OU, Auburn, Athens, Ga, Huntington, WV-Marshall, and KU are all great campuses.

Columbus, OH is pretty meh as well.

instigator
9/15/2011, 08:45 PM

Exactly what I was gonna say!

CowboyMRW
9/15/2011, 08:47 PM

Charlottesville-UVA, Oxford-Ole Miss, Tuscaloosa, OU, Auburn, Athens, Ga, Huntington, WV-Marshall, and KU are all great campuses.

Columbus, OH is pretty meh as well.

You liked Marshall's campus?

oudivesherpa
9/15/2011, 08:51 PM
South Bend, Ind. Dad and brother went there, great football atomsphere, but asides from gameday,it really sucks. Stay in Chicago and drive down to the game. Worst town for hook-ups in the US.

Blue
9/15/2011, 08:51 PM
You liked Marshall's campus?

I thought it was pretty cool. I mainly liked the women in WV. I was pleasantly surprised.

Boomer.....
9/15/2011, 09:03 PM

Exactly what I was gonna say!

Same. Horrible hole in the ground stadium with high school bleachers on top.

cleller
9/15/2011, 09:07 PM
Haven't been to Starkville, but Oxford MS is a pretty place. Campus is great with The Grove, and the nearby old town square is pure Old South.

Soonerfan88
9/15/2011, 09:09 PM
I haven't seen a lot of campuses outside the Big 8/12 region, but from my experience Lubbock wins by a wide margin.

sooneredaco
9/15/2011, 09:10 PM
It's a tie for me between Taco Tech and Kansas State. Stillwater still sucks, but dropping as much cash as they have on the facilities it makes it a little more tolerable than the other two armpits

Always_Sooner
9/15/2011, 09:12 PM
The worst college town by far would be Huntsville=Sam Houston State.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/15/2011, 09:25 PM
Manhattan is a great town and a true "college" town. I like the city and the K-State games when I attend. (family are alum)

You're cracked. Unless you are talking about SUNY-Manhatten...

Manhatten is a dump, and so is the K-State campus. Worst I've been to by a long stretch.

Guess then I really don't care to visit some of these other craptacular places people are mentioning.

bluedogok
9/15/2011, 09:28 PM
Of all the college campuses I've visited (and I've had the fortune, or misfortune, to visit many), I'd have to say that the worst was Lubbock/Texas Tech. I had to live there for a year (a long time ago), and I still don't understand how they get any kid to go there.
A friend of mine played there in the early 80's. he was from East Texas (Tyler) and used to the Piney Woods out there. He said on his recruiting visit they flew him in/out of Lubbock when it was dark. Made it hard to see what the surroundings were like. He said that it wasn't until he drove there for move-in that he saw what it was like. He said that even if he had seen it from the air it was his best offer so he probably would nave gone there anyway.

My wife went to Tech but she grew up in Monahans (Midland-Odessa area) so it was an improvement but she never had the desire to stay there or West Texas. She went to grad school at SWT in San Marcos and has been in this area ever since.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/15/2011, 09:34 PM
SUC...south central L.A. is by far the worst college town evar...EVAR.

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 09:39 PM
A friend of mine played there in the early 80's. he was from East Texas (Tyler) and used to the Piney Woods out there. He said on his recruiting visit they flew him in/out of Lubbock when it was dark. Made it hard to see what the surroundings were like. He said that it wasn't until he drove there for move-in that he saw what it was like. He said that even if he had seen it from the air it was his best offer so he probably would nave gone there anyway.

My wife went to Tech but she grew up in Monahans (Midland-Odessa area) so it was an improvement but she never had the desire to stay there or West Texas. She went to grad school at SWT in San Marcos and has been in this area ever since.

I can understand if it's the best offer a recruit gets. When I moved there, I kept thinking "I just haven't seen the whole town", when in fact, I had seen the whole town.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/15/2011, 09:50 PM
I've heard the best thing about Tech is the co-eds are UT/aTm castoffs who have nothing better to do than throw a lot of leg. I hope that's true... you know, for the future well being of the TT student body.

sooner518
9/15/2011, 09:58 PM
Taco tech. Visit Lubbock for the first time ever a few months ago. I was prepared for it to be bad. It far exceeded my expectations in terms of crappiness. Can't believe anyone would want to live there.
Stillwater is a pretty dumpy town but the campus is somewhat decent. Surely it's not the worst.

West Lafayette, Indiana was pretty ugly when I visited purdue a long time ago. Town is kinda run down and the buildings on campus were built in the 70s. fugly

As for the best, I really thought Madison, WI was awesome. cool town, and the campus is right between two lakes. The bars there are nuts as well. Probably the coolest college town Ive ever been to.

marfacowboy
9/15/2011, 10:00 PM
Starkville is awful. It's not the end of the earth, but you can see it from there.
Baton Rouge has turned into an awful place. It's ugly, polluted and has gawd awful traffic.
Lubbock and Stillwater are about one step ahead of Starkville.
Fayetteville is nice, at least around campus. Knoxville is ugly, and the strip on Cumberland is a dump. I was pleasantly surprised by Columbia, SC.
Austin used to be nice, but it's just too big these days.
Palo Alto is ritzy but nice, and as others have said, Oxford has a quiet, Southern charm.

delhalew
9/15/2011, 10:32 PM
Lubbock. Leach is a god for getting kids to sign up for that crap.

agoo758
9/15/2011, 10:32 PM
Ruston, Louisiana. Louisiana Tech

SoonerInLubbock
9/15/2011, 10:55 PM
Visited? I wish that were the case. I live in a real world "ground hog day". I'm originally from Edmond OK. I'm a radio dj by trade. I cut my teeth at Citadel Broadcasting in OKC. Worked with Ron Black on WKY. Worked weekends for 96.9 Bob FM. It wasn't enough I had to further my career. So I took the first decent afternoon gig I could find. That afternoon gig was right here in the arm pit of texas. Lubbock. When I first arrived four years ago, I thought "this will be temporary". As it turns out....not so much. I now have a beautiful little 3 year old boy. His momma is from LBK and we are no longer together. But I refuse to be absentee father. So here I am permanently married to the city of Lubbock. With fans who literally have no clue about the game of football. The only player they seem to know is Crabtree. Your better off banging your head against a brick than having an in depth conversation about my favorite game. In Lubbock football is a fad. It's only a real topic when tech has a household name. That's fans don't know what they are cheering about. They just know their friends are cheering, so they follow.

Every morning I wake up wishing it was all a dream. But then I remind myself it's not. I really do have a beautiful sweet lil boy. And then I realize dealing with Lubbock is worth it.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 11:00 PM
Hang in there bro. Real respect for your acceptance of responsibility. Beer on me when you're in Norman.

Frozen Sooner
9/15/2011, 11:07 PM

Seconded. That place is a dump. Hell, when you fly recruits in to the nearest real airport, they have to drive THROUGH Tuscaloosa to get there.

SoonerInLubbock
9/15/2011, 11:09 PM
Lubbock is about as bad as it gets for a major college.

I will however point out the fact that major improvements have been made to the area overall. All around the jones you will see new businesses. And in this crap economy it's a welcoming sight. But the fans are about as bad as they come. That hasn't changed

SicEmBaylor
9/15/2011, 11:12 PM
It's a tie between Lubbock and Manhattan. I'd rank one above the other depending on the weather at either place on any given game day.

Waco is also pretty bad for any number of reasons. Waco is somewhat unique in that the locals outright hate the school. I'm not sure of any other city that has as bad a relationship between the university and the city itself.

SoonerInLubbock
9/15/2011, 11:12 PM
Heck we just got a Zio's Italian kitchen. Made me feel all warm an fuzzy inside. Now if we could only get a Johnnies it might feel like home again.....well maybe just a little.

Frozen Sooner
9/15/2011, 11:40 PM
It's a tie between Lubbock and Manhattan. I'd rank one above the other depending on the weather at either place on any given game day.

Waco is also pretty bad for any number of reasons. Waco is somewhat unique in that the locals outright hate the school. I'm not sure of any other city that has as bad a relationship between the university and the city itself.

Be fair. Any city with Baylor in it would hate the school just as much.

prrriiide
9/15/2011, 11:41 PM
Knoxville is ugly, and the strip on Cumberland is a dump.

They've made some really nice improvements on the strip in the last couple of years. The recession and UT's lack of success on the field hit the businesses there really hard, and it's taken a bit to get the properties full again. You also have to remember that some of those dumps have been bars since before the Great Depression.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/15/2011, 11:53 PM
waco, tx
I mean...I guess its close to Austin or Dallas...but does that really help it qualify as a good town?

John Kochtoston
9/16/2011, 03:29 AM
Not a college town, as such, but how Shreveport, La. ever got to host a bowl game is beyond me.

Okie35
9/16/2011, 04:21 AM

This is true. Lubbock or Waco would be my answer.

BigJerm7
9/16/2011, 07:08 AM
Lubbock, UConn, and Troy in 'Bama. Worst small school campus, Miss Valley St. Literally thought it was a prison going by it.

Really liked Cal @ Berkley and Arizona St.

Always wondered about Ames....

achiro
9/16/2011, 07:12 AM
It's obvious most of you haven't gotten out much.

SoCal
9/16/2011, 08:46 AM
University of Arizona...the campus area of Tucson sucks!

the-rover
9/16/2011, 09:01 AM
I can't figure out people who dislike Manhattan...... Aggieville is a very cool college kid place with good resturants and bars. The campus itself is not bad, and the town overall is very nice. The stadium is another story, not great, and you will freeze your arse off in the winter with their open north end.

Granted, I have relatives who live there and have lived there myself, but that was in the 80s when they still knew their place in college football. Now most of their fans are intolerable and I can barely stand to talk to my family, who live there, about college football.

CrimsonCommando
9/16/2011, 09:01 AM
True story, on my 21st birthday, I passed out on Campus Corner. I woke up in Lubbock. I thought I had died and gone to Hell. Lubbock is one of the worst cities in America. A small rain storm can flood the city, I **** you not.

BillyBall
9/16/2011, 09:22 AM
Ames.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/16/2011, 09:40 AM
Ames

C&CDean
9/16/2011, 09:45 AM
University of Arizona...the campus area of Tucson sucks!

You're FOS. It ain't the greatest, but it's a hell of a long ways from the worst.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/16/2011, 09:48 AM
Lubbock is a great college town and the women are hot there too! Manhattan, KS and Stillwater, OK are my two least favorite by far. Columbia, MO was meh, but I did really like Ames, IA.

sooneron
9/16/2011, 09:55 AM
I would say Lubbock or Storrs, CT. THere is NOTHING there. It's like they just decided to plop a campus down in a pasture. The setting is tolerable, but there is NOTHING there. It's about 40 minutes from Hartford, a city where, there is NOTHING there! I've spent about 10 days up there and that is 10 too many.
Seton Hall is around the corner from my BIL. On one side is South Orange- a town with old beautiful homes & on the other side is a ghetto.
Tallahassee - meh!
Stephen F Austin in Nacogdoches - Yikes! E Texas hillbilly hell!
USC - decent campus in the middle of Watts. Please move to your car in an orderly zig zag fashion.
Hamilton College - middle of nowhere and the weather is horrid. Great school, they should move it.
SUNY Albany - yuck
Stillwater sucks as it stinks of pig, but the campus of lOSUr is tolerable.
NYU - horrible campus, but hey, it's in the real Manhattan. Columbia is sorta the opposite- nice campus with a quaint little stadium that is not in such a great area. It is getting better due to gentrification tho.
The really nice - Nompton. Yeah, I'm biased, but its a good town. Princeton, New Haven (Yale)- a lot of NH is a dump, but the pizza is in that town. Boston - esp. Cambridge. Humboldt State- meh campus, but a BEAUTIFUL setting on the N Cali Coast.
Bloomington Ind. - pretty cool place- the people can sorta be tools and they drive slow.
Tuscaloosa - really cool place.
Asstin/ut has gotten too big, but it's still a fun town.
Lexington VA - Washington & Lee. Nice town with a beautiful campus. The old section of town could use some more stuff...

As you can see, I have been to a bunch of schools. Most of it was for work. I'm leaving out about 20 or so others.

There is only ONE good thing about Huntsville, tx- http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/fKc-xle-amtm3HD-ShN21g?select=XwiskCarXunWfPBRE3Kw2g

BillyBall
9/16/2011, 09:58 AM
Lubbock is a great college town and the women are hot there too! Manhattan, KS and Stillwater, OK are my two least favorite by far. Columbia, MO was meh, but I did really like Ames, IA.

You like Ames and Lubbock? Wow.

MikeInNorman
9/16/2011, 10:39 AM
College Station is unimpressive, and the A&M campus is really ugly. Most of the buildings appear to have been built in the 70's and 80s, so it has the feel of a gigantic community college. And, even the bars around campus seem to have bizarre Aggy tradition rituals associated with them. A weird place.

cantwait48
9/16/2011, 11:29 AM
my wife and I drove thru Hattiesburg (southern miss) one time at night, we went really fast. On the nicer side if you like smaller, quiet college towns I lived in corvallis OR for a while and must say it is pretty nice

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 12:01 PM
I have a good friend who teaches. He moved his family from Manhattan KS to Corvallis OR three years ago.

They are in complete bliss living in Oregon. I will say that they don't say bad things about Manhattan, but still laugh about the culture change.

Mississippi Sooner
9/16/2011, 12:23 PM
Miss Valley St. Literally thought it was a prison going by it.

Jerry Rice's alma mater, and one of the funniest campus locations in the country. It's in Itta Bena (a name you might know if you like O Brother Where Art Thou), but what it's really in is one of the country's largest cotton fields. There, smack in the middle of the Mississippi Delta, you are cruising along seeing nothing but cotton in all directions, when all the sudden you see a cluster of buildings. Maybe it's because Parchman State Prison is also in the middle of that same cotton field, albeit farther north, but yes, it does resemble one of those correctional facilities where a guy would be crazy to escape because you'd have to run for miles to find anywhere to hide.

I Am Right
9/16/2011, 01:28 PM
Stoolwater, not even close!

Penguin
9/16/2011, 01:29 PM
Starkville, MS, definitely.

I've been to Texas State and it's a strange place. The town of San Marcos is beautiful. The campus looks like a prison complex.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2011, 01:32 PM
waco, tx
I mean...I guess its close to Austin or Dallas...but does that really help it qualify as a good town?

Wrong.

The question here is how they rate as a college town; we're not talking about how much they suck in general. I said Waco sucked as a college town.

Waco, Jerusalem-on-the-Brazos, is an awesome city that I adore and love with every single cell in my body.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/16/2011, 01:43 PM
I do because to me, they are true definition of college towns because neither one of them would exist without the colleges.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:49 PM
Columbus, OH. That place is a dump, the chicks are ugly and chunky and their fans are all couch burning meatheads.

yankee
9/16/2011, 01:50 PM
Waco is awful and ugly. College Station sucks, I don't get the appeal and the campus of aggy is a joke. Lubbock is bad, but I would put it above the other two for me. Tech's campus is flat (obviously), but I liked the Spanish/southwest architecture of the buildings. I thought Lawrence was a pretty cool town, and KU's campus is solid.

NCarolinaSooner
9/16/2011, 03:07 PM
Durham, NC (Duke) is pretty crappy. The campus is nice and the cathedral is beautiful, but outside of that.........

SoonerLaw09
9/16/2011, 03:22 PM
Gotta say College Station. It is literally in the middle of nowhere, just south of Deepinaharta Texass. Made me feel all oogy inside just being there.

OTOH, I thought Ames was kinda nice. So's Boulder. Yeah, I know what you're going to say, hippies and all that. But the scenery is spectacular.

(plus I got the best head of my life to date there, from a girl I never saw again...)

oudivesherpa
9/16/2011, 04:09 PM
Provo, Utah. (BYU), I originally said South Bend (Notre Dame), but one of my criteria was the ability to hook-up. Unless you convert and marry a Mormon, you’ll never hook up in Provo.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2011, 04:10 PM
Gotta say College Station. It is literally in the middle of nowhere, just south of Deepinaharta Texass. Made me feel all oogy inside just being there.

OTOH, I thought Ames was kinda nice. So's Boulder. Yeah, I know what you're going to say, hippies and all that. But the scenery is spectacular.

(plus I got the best head of my life to date there, from a girl I never saw again...)

I hate Aggie like the good lord hates sin, but College Station is a great "college town." That's not to say that College Station is a great town in general, but if there were ever a town that could be described as a "College town"...College Station is it.

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 04:10 PM
College Station is unimpressive, and the A&M campus is really ugly. Most of the buildings appear to have been built in the 70's and 80s, so it has the feel of a gigantic community college. And, even the bars around campus seem to have bizarre Aggy tradition rituals associated with them. A weird place.
It is a weird place. Being a military brat, I can understand why some people like it and enjoy the culture there, but it definitely is not my kind of place. The campus is ugly and the environment is akin to a heavily sterilized hospital.

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 04:13 PM
I hate Aggie like the good lord hates sin, but College Station is a great "college town." That's not to say that College Station is a great town in general, but if there were ever a town that could be described as a "College town"...College Station is it.
I can see why you say that if you went to Baylor, but when I think of a "college town" I think of not only a place that revolves around the college (College Station/Bryan would qualify in that regard), but also a town that has a good bar, social, and live music scene. Chapel Hill, NC, and Athens, GA...now those are good college towns. Austin is too, but it has become too touristy and big for its own good. It lacks the quaint feel of a college town.

PalmBeachSooner
9/16/2011, 04:18 PM
I've been to all of the major college towns in Utah. Provo (BYU), Salt Lake City (Utah), Logan (Utah St), Ogden (Weber State). They are all major suckage. It's the weird drinking laws in the state that **** you off.

However, if your game is late enough in the season you can always hit the ski slopes and then it's allsome.

Booner
9/16/2011, 04:49 PM
I guess I've been to quite a few campuses (working in academia).

OU - one of the most beautiful campuses in the world - Norman is okay (I miss things like the Greek House and New York Pizza) and that sandwhich shop that was attached to the clothing store - forget the name now, also Bob's barbecue (which no longer exists)).

Colorado State is one of the ugliest campuses (think of a run down community college) in a beautiful town. On Friday, the whole place (in Fort Collins) becomes a strip for juvenile delinquents to walk and drive up and down the streets blaring music (sort of uncomfortable if you have a family with young kids).

KU is nice and Lawrence is a fun town.

Waco - yikes. The campus is okay.

Air Force Academy - two thumbs up - campus is beautiful and Colorado Springs is great.

CU is decent although all the buildings look the same (beautiful backdrop against the mountains).

Duke's campus is nice (heavily forested) but the town surrounding it (Raleigh-Durham) seems like a slum area.

North Carolina is nice (campus and town).

Ames - meh. Not bad, not great.

Michigan State - pretty good. Ate at a Greek pizza restaurant there that I liked.

Dartmouth - beautiful campus. Can't remember a thing about Hanover NH though.

Northwestern - in a suburb of Chicago. Saw some of the scariest looking women I'd ever seen on that campus. Campus seems tiny but not unattractive.

Indiana - I liked the campus and town pretty well. Ate at my first Moroccan restaurant there.

Babson College (near Boston) - decent campus. I liked the town.

Gonzaga - located in bad part of Spokane. Campus was pretty nondescript.

Penn State - stopped there briefly on a trip. It was in early Autumn and the leaves were beautiful. Didn't see much of campus except for the stadium.

Wyoming - campus seemed pretty run down. Town wasn't very impressive either (was driving through but stopped to see the campus).

I would love to visit West Point, Michigan, Stanford, Montana, Montana State, and West Viriginia.

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 04:53 PM
I'll put in a shout-out for Wake Forest. Winston-Salem isn't much of a college town, but Wake has a beautiful campus that instantly made me conclude that I would be attending there if they accepted me.

BoomerJ
9/16/2011, 06:23 PM
They've made some really nice improvements on the strip in the last couple of years. The recession and UT's lack of success on the field hit the businesses there really hard, and it's taken a bit to get the properties full again. You also have to remember that some of those dumps have been bars since before the Great Depression.

Whenever I would go to Knoxville for work and drive near campus, I always thought with the beauty of East TN and being right on the river, the school did not take full advantage of creating an overly pretty campus.

It never worked out for me to attend a game there before we moved back to Okla., but I heard nothing but how great the game day experience was there. I did enjoy eating at one of the big restaurants on the river not far from campus, can't think of the name.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 06:55 PM
Wrong.

The question here is how they rate as a college town; we're not talking about how much they suck in general. I said Waco sucked as a college town.

Waco, Jerusalem-on-the-Brazos, is an awesome city that I adore and love with every single cell in my body.

wow...SURPRISING coming from the guy who went to Baylor...Love ya bro...and have many lifelong friends who went to Baylor.

But its not in any way a college town. Its a pretty little college campus, surrounded by nothingness and areas that I wouldnt let my family go without escorts.

so...as you say...its a question of how we rate "college towns". WACO is an awful town with a really nice college planted in the middle of it.

Even my own, really close, Baylor friends make strong reference to the "Baylor Bubble"...because once you leave campus you are in a really bad place

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2011, 08:18 PM
wow...SURPRISING coming from the guy who went to Baylor...Love ya bro...and have many lifelong friends who went to Baylor.

But its not in any way a college town. Its a pretty little college campus, surrounded by nothingness and areas that I wouldnt let my family go without escorts.

so...as you say...its a question of how we rate "college towns". WACO is an awful town with a really nice college planted in the middle of it.

Even my own, really close, Baylor friends make strong reference to the "Baylor Bubble"...because once you leave campus you are in a really bad place

I agree. That's essentially what I said in my earlier post in a much nicer way. The problem is, Waco is a highly impoverished city and Baylor's campus sits right in the middle of one of the worst areas. We're talking a predominantly white private university in a majority-minority area. They're highly highly resentful of Baylor and they typically despise Baylor students. Waco citizens absolutely DO NOT support Baylor by and large. I can't emphasize this fact enough...Waco is NOT a college town in any shape, form, or fashion. The immediate area around campus is sort of okay which is why people refer to campus and the immediate area as "the bubble."

Having said all that, I still believe Waco is a great city. If I were a billionaire, I'd still make Waco my place to live.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 08:35 PM
I agree. That's essentially what I said in my earlier post in a much nicer way. The problem is, Waco is a highly impoverished city and Baylor's campus sits right in the middle of one of the worst areas. We're talking a predominantly white private university in a majority-minority area. They're highly highly resentful of Baylor and they typically despise Baylor students. Waco citizens absolutely DO NOT support Baylor by and large. I can't emphasize this fact enough...Waco is NOT a college town in any shape, form, or fashion. The immediate area around campus is sort of okay which is why people refer to campus and the immediate area as "the bubble."

Having said all that, I still believe Waco is a great city. If I were a billionaire, I'd still make Waco my place to live.

allright...you've established a few things

waco impoverished
waco the city despises Baylor Students
Waco is NOT a college town

How your personal belief that its a great city refute my Claim that its the worst of all the college towns Ive visited?

you dont have to answer...at this point its sorta rhetorical.

I do have some love for the Bears because of upbringing and many friends...so Im not trying to go to the ring with you regardless of how it may seem

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2011, 08:37 PM
How your personal belief that its a great city refute my Claim that its the worst of all the college towns Ive visited?

It doesn't. I've been trying to agree with everything you've said.

I'm just saying that despite all of that, I still like the city myself. I know most don't.

sperry
9/16/2011, 08:52 PM
The Big XII-3 has some absolutely atrocious destinations. Waco, Stillwater, Lubbock, Manhattan, and Ames are all terrible.

Obviously I'm biased, but I like Norman and OU's campus a lot. The only problem is our bar scene sucks compared to other college towns, even some of the crapholes listed above, like Manhattan and Stillly.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 08:52 PM
It doesn't. I've been trying to agree with everything you've said.

I'm just saying that despite all of that, I still like the city myself. I know most don't.

One good thing is that suspension bridge. I jumped off it into the river at 2 am with my buddies once. Good times

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 08:54 PM
True story, on my 21st birthday, I passed out on Campus Corner. I woke up in Lubbock. I thought I had died and gone to Hell. Lubbock is one of the worst cities in America. A small rain storm can flood the city, I **** you not.

dude...what were you drinking that kept you passed from CC all the way to Lubbock?!?!?!..perhaps you should be thanking God that you are alive period

CBUS_SOONER
9/16/2011, 08:57 PM
Actually Toledo is a hole. Its the arm pit of Ohio

PLaw
9/16/2011, 09:01 PM
I've heard the best thing about Tech is the co-eds are UT/aTm castoffs who have nothing better to do than throw a lot of leg. I hope that's true... you know, for the future well being of the TT student body.

As a displaced Okie that grew up all over West Texas, I spent five long years in Lubbock during in the early 80's. At that time, 18 was the legal drinking age and it was a great, little party school. Back then, Tech routinely hit Playboy's top 10 campuses for coed quality. Good days, my friends, good days.

That said, all Stillwater has is Eskimo Joe's and College Station only has The Chicken. I think it's a three-way tie. It looks like we need a Texas tie-breaker.

BOOMER

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 09:04 PM
Actually Toledo is a hole. Its the arm pit of Ohio
Athens, Ohio (home of Ohio U) is a fun town though! Pretty nice setting too out in eastern Ohio in the Appalachian foothills.

CBUS_SOONER
9/16/2011, 09:06 PM
Athens, Ohio (home of Ohio U) is a fun town though! Pretty nice setting too out in eastern Ohio in the Appalachian foothills.

I kinda like athens

hornswaggled
9/17/2011, 02:10 AM
Still Lebanon. http://www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/BurneyAcademy.htm

No chicks, no drinks. this place sucks as a place of higher lerning.

agoo758
9/17/2011, 02:39 AM
Shreveport is the most overly generic city in the country. The several underwhelming casinos are what keep it from dying out.

Flagstaffsooner
9/17/2011, 03:18 AM
Flagstaff, NAU (Not A University) is a dump. How can you destroy such a pretty area with such a ****hole campus?

cleller
9/17/2011, 08:31 AM
Which college was it where Kurt Russell was always causing trouble, and driving Dean Higgins crazy? That was a nice place.

Rocker
9/17/2011, 08:35 AM
Lubbock is the worst

soonersponge
9/17/2011, 08:38 AM
Lubbock is the worst

Why

Rocker
9/17/2011, 09:11 AM
Why

because you faked like you were hurt when you played there against tech

Rogue
9/17/2011, 09:38 AM
Huntington, WV and Lubbock, TX are both pretty depressing places.
I'm not a big fan of Knoxville as a "college town" but there are loads of amazingly hot women there so it is surely a step above.

I agree with the cultish feel of College Station...it's just weird there like a bad western movie where the record scratches and everyone in the saloon looks up with crossed-eyes when you come through the swinging doors.

As a native Idahoan I might be excommunicated for this, but Boise isn't all that, despite what the locals there might tell you. Ask any Fly-Boy that got stationed @ Mtn Home AFB...there's nothing for hours and hours in any direction so you'd better REALLY love Boise if you move there b/c that's all there is. Granted the skiing, snowmobiling, steelhead fishing, and whitewater rafting type opportunities there are awesome, but they are in Bozeman, Salt Lake City, Portland OR, etc etc too. Even Laramie, WYO is a pretty cool town with the same challenges.

I would be remiss not to mention Memphis, TN. The new Detroit/DC/Murder-Capital. It's dirty, nasty, unsafe, and has every bad thing that you would NOT want in a place to live unless you happen to have lots of family around there. Otherwise, I don't even want to stop for gas within an hour of Memphis. It's just awful.

All that to say the worst D1 type place I've seen has to be Lubbock, TX. Buddy Holly, a native son, said it best, "Happiness is Lubbock, TX in the rearview mirror." The West Texas desert is a hard land, and similar to Boise there's nothing around for several hours in any direction so it's isolated and sucky. Without any of the redeeming qualities of Boise. It looks like a place where the bomb went off last month. Lubbock is a third class sheyithole.

rockhead
9/17/2011, 11:31 AM

Just like countless others in cfb and the NFL who got the idea from KSU.

FaninAma
9/17/2011, 12:03 PM
I clicked on this thread and thought I had wondered onto hornfans or shaggy bevo. Double checked. Nope, just a lot of Sooner fans acting like horn fans.

The thread sort of reminds me of the scene in Tombstone where sherriff Behan is bragging about how metropolitan Tombstone was and then after Turkey Creek Jack Johnsonand Texas Jack Vermillion shoot the guy in the street Doc Holiday unloads one of his classic lines referring to the 2 as a couple of fellow sophisticates.

BTW, anybody who matriculated in Waco should not be throwing stones at any other town or campus.

IronHorseSooner
9/17/2011, 01:58 PM
Gainesville, and it's not even close.

Rogue
9/17/2011, 03:40 PM
The thread sort of reminds me of the scene in Tombstone where sherriff Behan is bragging about how metropolitan Tombstone was and then after Turkey Creek Jack Johnsonand Texas Jack Vermillion shoot the guy in the street Doc Holiday unloads one of his classic lines referring to the 2 as a couple of fellow sophisticates.

"Very cosmopolitan."

So, do you have an opinion about the topic of just about the demeanor of the posters?

LiveLaughLove
9/17/2011, 03:56 PM
Worst by far is Austin because it houses the worst university.

Stillwater stinks. Literally.

Waco is boring.

Lubbock has some real jerk people (which I was surprised at) in a real boring place.

Lincoln, NE is ordinary at best.

Ames, wow in a not good way.

At USC you feel lucky if you live getting to your car.

Any school in Ohio near the lake. Any place in upstate New York for same reason. It is freaking unbelievably cold in the winter near that lake. Snow falls from clear skies because of the cold air over whatever God forsaken lake that is up there. So all of those schools collectively are horrible.