PDA

View Full Version : FSU Gameplan

NOVSooner
9/15/2011, 09:03 AM
FSU as someone mentioned in another thread hangs a lot of pride on the D-line and getting pressure/sacks. as quickly as we throw and move, any chance they limit their blitzes/pass rush and focus more on dropping back to limit our short passes and RAC yardage? would provide a good way to keep us more balanced or does our versatility on offense make them pick and choose whether to rush more or drop back more (which would hopefully allow the offense to capitalize more)?

IslandSooner
9/15/2011, 09:20 AM
I listened to the Jimbo Fisher show on XM last night, and he mentioned that exactly....... A caller actually called in and asked a similar question, and Jimbo responded by saying that you will see us doing a little more dropping back in coverage....FWIW

rekamrettuB
9/15/2011, 09:33 AM
I listened to the Jimbo Fisher show on XM last night, and he mentioned that exactly....... A caller actually called in and asked a similar question, and Jimbo responded by saying that you will see us doing a little more dropping back in coverage....FWIW

Probably means they are going to blitz like crazy. Draw and screen them to death if they do follow his above plan.

LVSOONER15
9/15/2011, 10:47 AM
I think we need to have a solid run game Saturday. But like the above poster stated, they are going to blitz alot. I also think Stills will have a long TD reception.

JLMSOONER
9/15/2011, 10:52 AM
As I mentioned/asked on another thread, what is so different on their D line from last year? Landry was sacked one time and we have basically the same O line and they have basically the same D line. Can someone explain the thought as to why the will have such an improved defensive attack?

srweinbe
9/15/2011, 11:03 AM
I hope we see some short screens to broyles or stills, then finally pumpfake on one and go deep...then on that it would spread the field and get us some more yardage on those plays

dwarthog
9/15/2011, 11:08 AM
As I mentioned/asked on another thread, what is so different on their D line from last year? Landry was sacked one time and we have basically the same O line and they have basically the same D line. Can someone explain the thought as to why the will have such an improved defensive attack?

Motivated to step it up a bit after last years beatdown?

OUster
9/15/2011, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE]As I mentioned/asked on another thread, what is so different on their D line from last year? Landry was sacked one time and we have basically the same O line and they have basically the same D line. Can someone explain the thought as to why the will have such an improved defensive attack?/QUOTE]

From what I read, Reid said he doesn't want to get embarrassed, again. Last year he obviously felt like a kid pissing himself in front of his kindergarten class. this time, his daddy will be watching the game. Reid's will to show his daddy he is big-boy, now, gives him that big-boy edge! Our boys need to watch out, cause like my four-year-old says, Reid is going to "tackle someone's face off"!

Also, the Florida State players obviously haven't been fed because every article I have read quoting their players states how "hungry" these boys are! There are laws against starving children! And, I for one, will not idly sit by and let the athletes of Florida State starve! We feed third-world countries, we can spare a little rice for the orphans of the Florida State football team. How is this not a bigger story?! There are three-hundred-pound athletes being starved just to win a football game! Jimbo Fisher is a prick!

Lastly, someone on this site said they are lifting weights!

JiminyChristmas
9/15/2011, 11:17 AM
Maybe the shovel pass shows back up...both to the backs or to Hannah. Florida had a ton of success with Hernandez doing that. I think Hannah could be effective in the same way.

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2011, 11:17 AM

As I responded in another thread, at least part of their lack of pressure last year was their dismal failure to deal with our tempo. A pass rush from a D-line depends on getting the jump on th e O-line and they were not even ready to play at the snap of the ball. They have worked all the off-season on being ready for our tempo, so that could result in improvement. I'm not saying it will work, I'm just answering why they might be better. They certainly have a better chance than had they not worked on it. Another reason of course is crowd noise slowing down our tempo a bit trying to communicate the call, but I think we are used to that.

rekamrettuB
9/15/2011, 11:24 AM
As I responded in another thread, at least part of their lack of pressure last year was their dismal failure to deal with our tempo. A pass rush from a D-line depends on getting the jump on th e O-line and they were not even ready to play at the snap of the ball. They have worked all the off-season on being ready for our tempo, so that could result in improvement. I'm not saying it will work, I'm just answering why they might be better. They certainly have a better chance than had they not worked on it. Another reason of course is crowd noise slowing down our tempo a bit trying to communicate the call, but I think we are used to that.

Be hard to recreate the tempo from a scout team. Maybe they have successfully done it but it would be hard when you consider the talent on OUs side with that tempo. The tempo also takes a bit of the crowd noise out of it. Roll off 5-7 yard gain and the crowd relaxes and moans and before they can get back up, boom, the next play is snapped.

Soonerjeepman
9/15/2011, 11:36 AM

maybe the dbacks are more comfortable with Stoop's def scheme...and the line..with blitzes etc...plus like someone said..they've been practicing all yr on the hurry-up offense!

The Maestro
9/15/2011, 11:36 AM
Shovel pass to Roy Finch...a few times. Line comes storming from outside...DB's drop cause it looks to be a pass...our WR's block really well...

I see big plays.

NOVSooner
9/15/2011, 12:01 PM
the shovel pass could be very effective. didn't think about that aspect! as someone said though, i think we have to have a huge run game. if they get blitz heavy we do the screens, etc. if they drop back we have to be able to run. our versatility I believe has to be a factor in this game, if we can establish the run and the pass.

badger
9/15/2011, 12:26 PM
FSU's plan:

1- Try to force LJ to make bad decisions. They will be better than TU's defense, yes, but this is something TU really didn't do well.

2- Contain Ryan Broyles. Good luck with that! The best thing you can do is double-team him and force LJ to find another open receiver. Your better plan is to succeed in #1.

3- Stop the run. Trying to force LJ won't do any good if he's just handing the ball off to a studly walk-on.

So, in short, the FSU defensive gameplan should be to win at the line of scrimmage -- force LJ, stop the run, and therefore, stop LJ from getting the ball to RB. On offense!

1- Get some wheel routes going. We did sh!t-tier against TU on this. If we let more wheel routes go against FSU, I'm gonna scream.

2- Let the FSU quarterback run. GJ Kinne was single-handedly keeping drives alive with his feet on many plays. I hear FSU's guy is mobile also, so it would be in the Noles interest to try to abuse this whenever possible.

As for what OU should do... well... prevent all of the above, I guess??? :D

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2011, 12:50 PM
Be hard to recreate the tempo from a scout team. Maybe they have successfully done it but it would be hard when you consider the talent on OUs side with that tempo. The tempo also takes a bit of the crowd noise out of it. Roll off 5-7 yard gain and the crowd relaxes and moans and before they can get back up, boom, the next play is snapped.

Like I said, no guarantee it works. They have had the luxury of preparing specifically for us for an entire off season given the first 2 mismatches on their schedule. Last year, they had a new coaching staff with new schemes to install, so just trying to learn their own plays had to be priority #1. Combining the extended preparation with home field and a full year under the new coaches almost has to make them better unless the coaches suck. Again, I'm just trying to answer the question of why this year might be different than last and I do believe it will be a tougher contest. But we should be better too and also had more prep time for FSU than a normal mid-season game. It's time to play!

the-rover
9/15/2011, 01:39 PM
Who was the team a couple of years ago that ran a double scout team against their defense to try to mimic the speed of our no-huddle offense? Anyone remember?

That still wouldn't make up for the talent side of the effect of our offense, but just trying to remember who that was and whether or not it worked.

yukonsooner
9/15/2011, 02:07 PM
Who was the team a couple of years ago that ran a double scout team against their defense to try to mimic the speed of our no-huddle offense? Anyone remember?

That still wouldn't make up for the talent side of the effect of our offense, but just trying to remember who that was and whether or not it worked.

I almost think it was osu

FirstAndGoalOU
9/15/2011, 02:15 PM
http://funnygif.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/1298324694284.gif

OU 32
FSU 17

delhalew
9/15/2011, 07:04 PM

Florida did this. As soon as a play was dead, scout offense #2 lined up and snapped the ball.

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 07:10 PM
FSU Gameplan:

1. Stop the run
2. Pressure Landry
3. Try to keep the score respectable. So the nation doesn't think they are completely overrated.

Boomer Mooner
9/15/2011, 07:14 PM
Florida did this. As soon as a play was dead, scout offense #2 lined up and snapped the ball.

But when it came time to play they just had someone flop every other down to slow things down...

MR2-Sooner86
9/15/2011, 07:20 PM

It was Florida.

The funny thing is when it came game time we slowed the tempo down so much there were pages of threads bitching about it afterwards on here.

If you watch that game again, there were a couple of series we really did speed it up and you could tell Florida got knocked back on their heels. Why we didn't do that more I have no idea.

If Florida can practice for our up tempo and still get taken aback I don't think FSU will be 100% ready to counter it every which way we can do it.

PLaw
9/15/2011, 08:44 PM
Probably means they are going to blitz like crazy. Draw and screen them to death if they do follow his above plan.

In J^2 I trust.

BOOMER

instigator
9/15/2011, 08:57 PM
But when it came time to play they just had someone flop every other down to slow things down...

Pretty much the same thing aTm did last year.

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 09:04 PM

Depth and experience. We added a top JUCO DE (Carradine) and we're healthy along the front. Watch DE Warner in particular. You won't stop him.

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 09:06 PM
Depth and experience. We added a top JUCO DE (Carradine) and we're healthy along the front. Watch DE Warner in particular. You won't stop him.

What side does he play? If he's right side, I'm sorry, but he's going to have a long day. If he's left side, he may have some success.

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 09:23 PM
What side does he play? If he's right side, I'm sorry, but he's going to have a long day. If he's left side, he may have some success.

He normally lines up at LE. And I understand it will be against an unproven JUCO OL? Doesn't matter. This guy has a motor and you're not going to stop him. NS...He reminds me of Jared Allen.

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 09:30 PM
He normally lines up at LE. And I understand it will be against an unproven JUCO OL? Doesn't matter. This guy has a motor and you're not going to stop him. NS...He reminds me of Jared Allen.

Nowadays, there are strong side DEs and weak side DEs, so sometimes guys play on both sides....that's why I asked. If there were a part of this years team that is unproven (to me), it's the left side of the O-line (left side to the defense...really, the right side of the line). Not sure who you're talking about (JUCO OL), our starting guard (Tyler Evans) played most of last year, but our starting right tackle (Daryl Williams) is a redshirt freshman. He's a load though at 6'6" 315.

I'm sure Warner has been noticed by the coaching staff, and adjustment being made. One thing we do have proven, is a stable of solid TEs. I would guess they are going to be used to slow Waren down.

I'll keep an eye out for that match up.

NOVSooner
9/16/2011, 07:51 AM
keep in mind though we have a 6-7 guy on the O-line (Lane Johnson) who the coaches have been raving about his potential and the opportunity to play and the guy has speed. Period. This has KILLED us in the past when we face quick ends coming around the edge b/c we couldn't match their speed with our speed and fundamentals. I like the fact of him lining up against a quick end b/c 1) He has speed and 2) the coaches like him and speak often about him, too.

fossil
9/16/2011, 08:08 AM
They've been lifting weights??????????

East Coast Bias
9/16/2011, 08:14 AM
I believe the game will turn on what happens up front. If we can run the ball, Broyles will run wild over the middle. If they put up a pass rush from one side or the other, Broyles should line up on that side and we should throw to that side.I believe OU will try to establish the run early and if they are successful FSU will be in panic mode from that point on..... Ronnell is getting all the love from the media, but I believe Jefferson might be hard for them to handle....

SOFSooner
9/16/2011, 09:31 AM
I don't see them trying to practice our up-tempo offense during spring and fall drills as helping to much. Other teams (namely in the Big XII) do the same thing trying to mimic the speed but the scout teams probably do not have the talent to copy what our offense does daily. I think that the Seminole defense might focus to much on Broyles and Stills, and not so much on other receivers because of what happened last year. I would not be suprised if our TEs have a big game on Saturday (or Sunday 3am here in Djibouti). I am looking forward to watching the game. BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

rekamrettuB
9/16/2011, 09:42 AM
It was Florida.

The funny thing is when it came game time we slowed the tempo down so much there were pages of threads bitching about it afterwards on here.

If you watch that game again, there were a couple of series we really did speed it up and you could tell Florida got knocked back on their heels. Why we didn't do that more I have no idea.

If Florida can practice for our up tempo and still get taken aback I don't think FSU will be 100% ready to counter it every which way we can do it.

OU did slow the pace down a little too much but the refs really did it early on and they couldn't keep out. The refs should have practiced that pace.