PDA

View Full Version : What have you done for your health today?

FirstandGoal
9/15/2011, 08:38 AM
So the snack thread gave me this idea.

In these times of HFCS laden foods, frankenfoods, and more and more time spent in front of a tv/computer leading to sedentary lifestyles, what changes have you made in your life to improve your health?

I find it sad that our generation is the first that actually has a lower life expectancy than the generation before. As a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed in July '09) it also has become very personal for me.

So far today, I've had a healthy pre-workout snack of an apple and some almond butter. Getting ready to hit my circuits and then prepare a healthy lunch/afternoon snack before heading off to work.

lexsooner
9/15/2011, 08:54 AM
Great thread, thanks. I'm sorry to hear about the breast cancer. I hope it was caught early. I do the Komen 5K each year and I keep adding names to those whom I sponsor. I know about ten survivors. Amazing.

Well, I ate oatmeal for breakfast and will go for a run after work.

GDC
9/15/2011, 08:56 AM
My doctor told me to take digestive enzymes, cod liver oil, probiotics, and non-synthetic multivitamins.

thecynic
9/15/2011, 09:55 AM
I only had 4 donuts today, and only smoke 1 cigarette. (down from about 5)

oudanny
9/15/2011, 10:00 AM
I had a triple bypass in May 2007. This morning I ate some wheat cereal with fat-free milk and a banana. At noon, I will run 3 miles and then have a low-fat lunch. I'm doing well.

OhU1
9/15/2011, 10:36 AM
Not enough over this dreary furnace of a summer. About to go for an hour run. Need to get back to being more consistent with a minimum of 3 weekly sessions and more importantly get back to disciplined diet and resume progress toward my weight goal. (I guess the later will have to wait as I'm am going to the Addison Texas Oktoberfest later!).

NormanPride
9/15/2011, 10:47 AM
I'm doing pushups and pullups today, maybe a jog with the dogs afterward to cool down.

Other than that... I had a multivitamin and fiber this morning? No sugar or cream in my coffee?

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 10:52 AM
I'm doing pushups and pullups today, maybe a jog with the dogs afterward to cool down.

Other than that... I had a multivitamin and fiber this morning? No sugar or cream in my coffee?

AND, you can always steal salads from the work fridge.

GDC
9/15/2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.davepye.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/belushi-donuts.jpg

Howzit
9/15/2011, 10:55 AM
V8 this morning, a banana around 10:00, a sammich for lunch (no chips), carrots and an apple/pb this afternoon, and a run after work. It's finally cool enough I can actually run outside instead of on a treadmill, Dallas has been brutal.

olevetonahill
9/15/2011, 10:55 AM
Im on my second cup of coffee. 3rd cigarette. Ill prolly have me some Bacon eggs and grits here in a few then take a nap :smug:

badger
9/15/2011, 10:58 AM
I do it more for my own sanity and hopes that the dogs will not destroy anything during the day, but I took them for about a half-mile walk this morning and then did my own half-mile walk from where I park downtown.

I have lately been playing more puzzle games also to keep my mind sharp. I tend to turn my brain off during the weekends and that's probably not healthy :D

Nothing motivates me to get out and exercise more than some of the people around Tulsa that are in such poor health by what appears to be their own doing (not that I'm trying to cast judgmental eyes, but it's hard not to)

C&CDean
9/15/2011, 02:28 PM
I had a monster biscuit from Carl's Jr. (I threw away the top biscuit though) and water. Sat at a V.A. deal to get disability benefits started all morning, then ate lunch at Chelino's with momma.

In short? Nothing. I'm on one of my down cycles right now. I retired on May 31, and spent the next 3+ months sitting in a tractor. Pretty much 7 days a week, about 10-12 hours a day. Since I've gotten out of the tractor, I've managed to hit the gym a few times - and was sorer than a mofo afterwards. It was so easy when I was working in town. I'd hit the gym at work at about 10am and go eat lunch at about 12:30 or so. Nice salad bar right there too.

I can still use the same gym for free, but I've got to drive ~40 minutes each way to the gym now, so it's kinda cramped my style. I need to just bite the bullet and start doing it without finding an excuse for not going all the way to town. I ain't worth a **** at working out at home. I mean I work hard cutting wood, clearing brush, maintaining equipment, etc. but it ain't the same as a solid hour+ of cardio and another hour of weights/stretching.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/15/2011, 02:56 PM
I watch Dean work out.

My eyes are buff.

SoonerLaw09
9/15/2011, 03:02 PM
AND, you can always steal salads from the work fridge.

So that was *you*....

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/117/009/original/soon.jpg?1303752617

silverwheels
9/15/2011, 03:45 PM
I didn't eat that thing that fell on the floor. You're welcome, body.

FirstandGoal
9/15/2011, 10:06 PM
Right now I'm menu planning for this weekend so I don't fall completely off the wagon Saturday during the game. Its never a good idea to have me around a ton of food during big football games because I will eat more when I get nervous and before I know it, I've blown the whole day.
Gonna have some chicken tortilla soup, some taco salad fixings and some home-made salsa. Gonna go out and get a nice bottle of Sparks Deep Fork Red for a bit of post-win celebration.

Tomorrow is my cardio day and I can't wait to get outside to run in this cool weather we have.

OhU1
9/18/2011, 07:28 PM
I mean I work hard cutting wood, clearing brush, maintaining equipment, etc. but it ain't the same as a solid hour+ of cardio and another hour of weights/stretching.

My farm raised old man always told me working out at the gym was a waste of energy that would be better used working on the lawn. And of course I would get just as good results.

Verdict: Dean 1, Old Man 0. Lawn and house work is great but it aint the gym and does not compare to road work.

FirstandGoal
9/22/2011, 09:17 AM
Yesterday was rough. Lots of food at work and many temptations along the way.

Got home late, didn't want to fix dinner, but made myself get up and make a salad anyway.

Felt good to wake up this morning knowing I did the right things yesterday. :)