PDA

View Full Version : Hullabaloo over nothing? Aren't one-school networks a bad idea?

King Barry's Back
9/14/2011, 07:33 PM
I just want to throw something out here for debate.

I know that ESPN has bet hard on the LHN, and I know that ESPN knows lots more about sports TV than I do, but I think the whole concept is a mistake.

When I lived in DC, I used to occasionally watch the Big 10 Network. You might catch, say, Mich St v Wisky in volleyball (cute, tall, college girls in shorts!), or Indy-Purdue hoops, or a classic Michigan-OhSU match up.

That's a lot of varied programming, that catches the direct interest of fans from all the member schools.

The LHN, or any one-school network, just doesn't seem very interesting to me. You could catch Texas baseball, or Texas swimming, or Texas softball, or a classic Texas football game, or Texas hoops. You get my point.

Honestly, I am not sure how much I'd even want to watch an OU network, once the novelty wore off.

A Big XII Network, or any conference network, I think would in the long-term be of far more value to ESPN than this lumbering beast they have created.

I know TX doesn't give a hoot about the content of the network, they are counting only dollars, but they are destroying (or at least massively altering) college football as we have known it since at least 1950, for something that is going to be (I believe) marginally successful and marginally interesting.

ESPN clearly sees something that I don't, but I think even Austin is wondering if this deal will ever be worth the trouble. I think in five years time, the LHN may be seen as one of the biggest blunders ever made in TV.

But again, ESPN has been right pretty often.

One other thought: Does anybody think it was stupid for ESPN to announce that they wanted to show high school football games featuring UT recruits? Would have been much smarter to have announced that they wanted to highlight "the great high school football played in the great state of Texas," which would have been a legitimate programming decision, and just let viewers figure it out when every game featured players that UT was chasing. But that's just me...

OhU1
9/14/2011, 08:07 PM
The LHN, or any one-school network, just doesn't seem very interesting to me. You could catch Texas baseball, or Texas swimming, or Texas softball, or a classic Texas football game, or Texas hoops. You get my point.

Honestly, I am not sure how much I'd even want to watch an OU network, once the novelty wore off.

they are destroying (or at least massively altering) college football as we have known it since at least 1950, for something that is going to be (I believe) marginally successful and marginally interesting.

I think the novelty will wear off pretty quick. Seems more about ego than anything else. I would not want to watch an OU only network, how many times can you re-watch the same games/content? A conference network has so many more possibilities. I'm a huge OU fan but I'm interested in college sports and other schools too.

ESPN is throwing 15M a year at this project which has me scratching my head. Where will they generate that kind of revenue in today's "500 channel" universe? UT with as much money as they have is well know to be a fickle band wagon school with empty seats at home games when the teams are not on top.

I used to like ESPN and thought the network was fresh and a great thing for sports fans. Now I think ESPN is quickly corrupting the integrity of college sports and ultimately may ruin a lot of the appeal of what makes college football special and distinct from pro sports.

In addition, I can't stand ESPN's smug east coast culture and editorial bias. Every ESPN radio guy sounds exactly the same - metro-sexual smart *** nerds who love to drop in crowd references and use words like "segue-way" when they pull one off like they are trying to pat themselves on the back for doing something they learned in broadcasting class. F-ESPN.

8timechamps
9/14/2011, 09:03 PM
I've thought from the beginning that this is indeed an experiment. ESPN is going out on a limb to see if this concept works. Who better than Texas to try it on? As much as I hate Texas, they do have the fan base to make it work in theory.

That's the reason it's so important for Texas to get as many games televised on the LHN as possible. That's why it was so important for them to try and get high school games. Nobody, and I mean even the biggest whorn fan out there is going to tune into the LHN 24/7. Outside of the families of the Olympic sports athletes, nobody is going to plan their schedule around a Texas volleyball match, or a whorn bowling tournament. Heck, I wouldn't do it if OU had it's own network.

I seriously doubt the longevity of the LHN (or any single school network). Now an online network (like Soonervision) is a completely different entity, with far less overhead or demand for viewers. I think ESPN will see out this experiment, and then it'll be over. Texas assumed they could get more football games on the LHN, and that they could bring in viewership with the HS games. They (so far) have assumed wrong. Now, they (UT) wants to pay other schools to play on the LHN, and that's not going to fly either. Fox will have something to say about any conference opponents playing, and I doubt ESPN/ABC would surrender national ratings for a big non-conference opponent just to make the LHN work.

I agree, it just seems like there is no win for either ESPN or UT. The Big 10 proved that a conference network works, and that's what ESPN should have worked with. ESPN is right more often than not, but this time, I think they're wrong.

MichiganSooner
9/14/2011, 09:06 PM
Big 10 Network was showing an hour long program on the Iowa Caucus last summer.

finster
9/14/2011, 09:34 PM
It would be tempting for the money UT is getting,but I would hate to keep repeating “We have no control of anything ESPN does” If OU sold its a$$ like a whorn.

King Barry's Back
9/15/2011, 03:39 AM
I've thought from the beginning that this is indeed an experiment. ESPN is going out on a limb to see if this concept works. Who better than Texas to try it on? As much as I hate Texas, they do have the fan base to make it work in theory.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It looks like a hi-risk roll of the dice for ESPN, and for $1 or $2 million per year, I'd think it looked like a good experiment. But for $15 million? I just don't see it.