PDA

View Full Version : Those of you traveling to Tallahassee, some advice...nay warning.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 04:59 PM
I taught at FSU during OU's lean years (mid-90s) and it is hard to describe how hellish it was living in Tallahassee because of that.

Few things:

Tallahassee is an island. Almost literally. There isn't a decent sized town anywhere around it...nothing. Therefore it is completely self-absorbed and reality plays little part as to what goes on there.
For example: When I was there, the Burt Reynolds Athletic Dormitory (yes, that's its name) was unofficially segregated. Blacks on one side, whites on another. Fights were common between FSU black athletes and Florida A&M (virtually across the street) athletes each weekend. The cops would break things up, confiscate weapons and on Monday, everything was back to normal...like nothing happened. There is no accountability regarding FSU athletics...nothing but the Tallahassee Democrat (puppet paper) to look the other way.

Bobby Bowden is a devious, clever, sly, fox. This man enjoyed almost complete rulership of Tallahassee for those 100 years. His farts were bottled and sold, his sons fellated, his absolute recruiting nonsense would make Barry blush. Hard to remember when an FSU football player was suspended for some offense, isn't it? (post-BB notwithstanding) I remember Deion stealing a necklace and I can tell you, that store no longer exists. The man portrays himself as some funny country hick, but it is an excellent fiction. I have thought of him as Huey Long ever since I first moved to that town. Yesterday an ESPN talking head was EXASPERATED that Bobby Bowden was afraid to reveal his 2007 cancer struggle because he was afraid other school's recruiters would have used that against him...that they would tell a recruit they didn't want to play for an old, dying man. I immediately knew BB had that fear because that is EXACTLY what he would have done. That's precisely why he thought of it.

Traffic in Tallahassee is a NIGHTMARE. There is an outer circle around downtown, an area that has FSU, Florida A&M and the State Capitol, all within a block or two of each other. Think about what morning and evening commutes are like.
The FSU campus is a hodge-podge of ugly buildings that have no commonality, and streets that make no sense whatever. You WILL go the wrong way. You just will. Go to the stadium earlier than you think you need to, get parked and keep your head down. Recommendation: If you can approach the campus from the south, you will miss most of the white people traffic. I'm serious. The south part of town is across the aforementioned tracks and few FSU fans will be there.

There is no Campus Corner in T'hsee. There just isn't. Coupla bars interspersed here and there. Nothing quaint, nothing remarkable. Fact is, I recommend going to the poor side of town and finding a place that serves fried mullet and greens...you won't regret it and you'll find that the black population in T'hsee is wonderfully sweet and could care less about FSU's football team.

Finally,

FSU fans are the epitome of suck. These fans have a sense of self-congratulation that knows no bounds. Always the 3rd wheel in Florida, and isolated geographically, the fan base is delusional and frankly, insufferable. Last year, while queue'ing up to go up to my seat at the game, some FSU fan looked me in the eye and told me that OU wasn't even going to be their hardest road test, not even top 3. I had PTSD flashbacks to my time living in T'hasse and threw up in my mouth...a lot. I'm telling you, they are not pleasant and rival LSU's Geaux Tiggies with their incessant war chant. Don't believe me? I heard about Tony Jefferson's receipt of Tweets today, making fun of Austin Box, etc...this didn't surprise me one bit. They will remind you of aggy. Promise.

Again, I lived in that town, am a OU season ticket holder and didn't even spend on millisecond considering going to this game. No way.

I hope anyone going to the game has a great time and winds up thinking all my caustic ranting was a waste of time. I really do. There is something great about going to OU road games and I wish no one a bad time. However, I think it was my duty to warn you beforehand of how it used to be.

Needless to say, I hope we set records for merciless stomptitude Saturday night.

badger
9/14/2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the warning. NP and I aren't going, but wish all of those that are the safest and happiest of travels.

sooneredaco
9/14/2011, 05:11 PM
So if and when we stomp a mudhole in them... What will be the attitude on the outside as we bask in our glory proudly wearing our Crimson and Cream? Will we have to wear bullet proof OU vests to protect us?

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 05:15 PM
So if and when we stomp a mudhole in them... What will be the attitude on the outside as we bask in our glory proudly wearing our Crimson and Cream? Will we have to wear bullet proof OU vests to protect us?

It will be as bad as when LSU wins.

It will be much better to beat them soundly than to squeak out a victory at the very end. Much better.

Think Boulder, but instead of just students, middle-aged Rebelyellers will verbally abuse you on their way to their Buick Enclaves.

colleyvillesooner
9/14/2011, 05:21 PM
I taught at FSU during OU's lean years (mid-90s) and it is hard to describe how hellish it was living in Tallahassee because of that.

Few things:

Tallahassee is an island. Almost literally. There isn't a decent sized town anywhere around it...nothing. Therefore it is completely self-absorbed and reality plays little part as to what goes on there.
For example: When I was there, the Burt Reynolds Athletic Dormitory (yes, that's its name) was unofficially segregated. Blacks on one side, whites on another. Fights were common between FSU black athletes and Florida A&M (virtually across the street) athletes each weekend. The cops would break things up, confiscate weapons and on Monday, everything was back to normal...like nothing happened. There is no accountability regarding FSU athletics...nothing but the Tallahassee Democrat (puppet paper) to look the other way.

Bobby Bowden is a devious, clever, sly, fox. This man enjoyed almost complete rulership of Tallahassee for those 100 years. His farts were bottled and sold, his sons fellated, his absolute recruiting nonsense would make Barry blush. Hard to remember when an FSU football player was suspended for some offense, isn't it? (post-BB notwithstanding) I remember Deion stealing a necklace and I can tell you, that store no longer exists. The man portrays himself as some funny country hick, but it is an excellent fiction. I have thought of him as Huey Long ever since I first moved to that town. Yesterday an ESPN talking head was EXASPERATED that Bobby Bowden was afraid to reveal his 2007 cancer struggle because he was afraid other school's recruiters would have used that against him...that they would tell a recruit they didn't want to play for an old, dying man. I immediately knew BB had that fear because that is EXACTLY what he would have done. That's precisely why he thought of it.

Traffic in Tallahassee is a NIGHTMARE. There is an outer circle around downtown, an area that has FSU, Florida A&M and the State Capitol, all within a block or two of each other. Think about what morning and evening commutes are like.
The FSU campus is a hodge-podge of ugly buildings that have no commonality, and streets that make no sense whatever. You WILL go the wrong way. You just will. Go to the stadium earlier than you think you need to, get parked and keep your head down. Recommendation: If you can approach the campus from the south, you will miss most of the white people traffic. I'm serious. The south part of town is across the aforementioned tracks and few FSU fans will be there.

There is no Campus Corner in T'hsee. There just isn't. Coupla bars interspersed here and there. Nothing quaint, nothing remarkable. Fact is, I recommend going to the poor side of town and finding a place that serves fried mullet and greens...you won't regret it and you'll find that the black population in T'hsee is wonderfully sweet and could care less about FSU's football team.

Finally,

FSU fans are the epitome of suck. These fans have a sense of self-congratulation that knows no bounds. Always the 3rd wheel in Florida, and isolated geographically, the fan base is delusional and frankly, insufferable. Last year, while queue'ing up to go up to my seat at the game, some FSU fan looked me in the eye and told me that OU wasn't even going to be their hardest road test, not even top 3. I had PTSD flashbacks to my time living in T'hasse and threw up in my mouth...a lot. I'm telling you, they are not pleasant and rival LSU's Geaux Tiggies with their incessant war chant. Don't believe me? I heard about Tony Jefferson's receipt of Tweets today, making fun of Austin Box, etc...this didn't surprise me one bit. They will remind you of aggy. Promise.

Again, I lived in that town, am a OU season ticket holder and didn't even spend on millisecond considering going to this game. No way.

I hope anyone going to the game has a great time and winds up thinking all my caustic ranting was a waste of time. I really do. There is something great about going to OU road games and I wish no one a bad time. However, I think it was my duty to warn you beforehand of how it used to be.

Needless to say, I hope we set records for merciless stomptitude Saturday night.

Thanks for all the information that would have been useful 6 MONTHS AGO! ;)

XingTheRubicon
9/14/2011, 05:22 PM
Could've used this info about 6 months ago. ;)

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the information that would have been useful 6 MONTHS AGO! ;)

heh.
I thought of that.

I decided not to discourage anyone from going because of my own experiences, because it was 15 years ago and things may have changed? I hope so.

colleyvillesooner
9/14/2011, 05:39 PM
So you just decided to ruin it 3 days before? Got it. :D

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 05:44 PM
So you just decided to ruin it 3 days before? Got it. :D

Well, hear me out:

If I had posted several months ago, perhaps someone may not have planned the trip.

Now, everyone who is going already have their plans...and some sage advice.

See what I did there, CVS?

Never understood sage advice. Isn't sage an herb?

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2011, 05:59 PM
Hopefully, having lil' ol' Wake Forest stomp a mudhole in them and hand them their worst home loss in history has humbled them a bit since the mid-90s.

CBUS_SOONER
9/14/2011, 06:27 PM
Anybody wants to get rid of tickets now, I am game:)

SoonerMom2
9/14/2011, 07:35 PM
It hasn't changed much -- I was there on a visit three years ago and not much has changed except they put in some more interstates to get backed up and they have built up out to the W and NW with the usual Walmarts, etc. You wouldn't get me to go into their Walmart at night on your life. Four years ago my youngest daughter and I stopped to get something to eat as we were driving at night to go Palm Coast to my other daughter -- we were in the distinct minority at a Steak and Shake on the west side off a new interstate. Campus was pretty run down compared to OU several years ago especially the Greek system which was scattered. Didn't feel comfortable in Tallashassee and don't plan on being there ever again. Their fans are rude when they are home in Tallahassee.

fadada1
9/14/2011, 08:23 PM
was accepted to grad school at fsu - drove through tallahassee on the way back from my visit to UF in gainesville. campus (alone) was enough to make the decision - the town itself was the final dagger. needless to say, my 2 years at UF were A-OK!!

I Am Right
9/14/2011, 08:39 PM
Geeez

G8trGr8t
9/14/2011, 08:47 PM
St. Bobby was as dirty as they come, and did it all without dropping his bible.. He and hios stalwarts taught and enocouraged their players to play dirty..to the echo of the whistle..

F$U is a playpen for the jocks, no accountability and free reign from staff to be punks. A & M is like their playgorund, the ladies there and the A & M "culture" are a real recruiting tool for Thanks for detailing some of th emany reasons us Gators wouldn't **** on a semenhole if they were on fire.

salth2o
9/14/2011, 08:56 PM
The Redhead and I went to Miami and that really sucked monkey balls. The whole football part of Florida can suck it. Safe travels to those headed to Talahassee. I'll stick to travelling to road games where the fans are not thugs. At A&M a few years ago we were invited into some Aggie's tailgate party and ate bbq. Much better...

MichiganSooner
9/14/2011, 09:04 PM
Last fall, I stopped along Lindsey to take picture of Seed Sower at south end of Oval. An FSU fan walking behind us nearly fell over me when I stopped. He said this is the most beautiful campus he had ever seen.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 09:34 PM
Last fall, I stopped along Lindsey to take picture of Seed Sower at south end of Oval. An FSU fan walking behind us nearly fell over me when I stopped. He said this is the most beautiful campus he had ever seen.

Great story. I've been to most of the SEC campuses, 'cept Auburn which I hear is nice. Norman really is a beautiful campus, even prettier than Stanford, much to my surprise.

I can honestly say, Chapel Hill might be the only one I think I have seen that is more dramatically pretty, although Lawrence is a nice campus as well. I just like the way the Ovals are organized.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 09:36 PM
St. Bobby was as dirty as they come, and did it all without dropping his bible.. He and hios stalwarts taught and enocouraged their players to play dirty..to the echo of the whistle..

Nobody ever points out that BB couldn't win in today's era of compliance. He was a dinosaur simply because he couldn't cheat any longer...at least as much.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/14/2011, 10:04 PM
I interviewed at FSU, got a job offer, but turned it down.

Blue
9/14/2011, 10:51 PM
I look forward to the game in Tallahassee and look forward to having a great time w/ OU and FSU fans alike.

Blue
9/14/2011, 10:53 PM
nm

Mr. Peanut
9/14/2011, 11:23 PM
You have the right attitude Blue. Seminole fans are known for being gracious hosts.

Now there's sure to be a drunkarse 18yr old freshman or two who might not know how to behave, but that's the exception not the norm.

Enjoy the day, but not TOO MUCH!

We reserve our venom for the crocs and caines.....and that being said, really only the crocs.....

DRLSooner
9/14/2011, 11:36 PM
I went to the FSU-UVa "Revenge" game back in '96. I was with a buddy who is an FSU guy, I wore a Noles shirt but also represented with an OU cap.

There was definitely a little *********gery, but it was mostly students who thought their **** didnt stink, and at that point I guess it didnt... they were on top of the football world. UVa had given them their first ACC loss the year before and I guess had rubbed it in a bit, the Nole fans were ready for that game, much as I assume they will be Saturday night.

The only real hell I got was from an old man sitting behind me... just really rubbing it in that we sucked so bad. He was very bitter about Switzer beating them in back-to-back Orange Bowls, making fun of the fact that we had hired Schnelly and Blake, and giving me score updates from our game at KSU, a killing.

I took his crap because he was old but near the end of the game I turned around and said this: First off, you'd better be glad you're 100 years old or I would have knocked your teeth out by now... Second, Oklahoma will be back, and when we are, I hope we get the chance to kick your *** in an Orange Bowl again. He laughed and said dream on.

4 years later..... :beguiled:

I thought of that guy quite a bit on January 3rd, 2001. He truly was one of the bigger ******rs I've ever come across, and was literally 80 years old.

Anyhow, my general rule on roadies is ignore the pricks and dont become one.... they outnumber me.

Boomer Sooner.

Mr. Peanut
9/14/2011, 11:46 PM
There's always a few bad apples....

As to that Orange Bowl, the score hardly indicates an ***-kicking. OU won, outplayed FSU.

I put 100% of that loss on Bowden. Richt had accepted UGA HC job and was clearly more focused on that then coaching the Orange Bowl.

Bowden in his agonizingly (at times) dumbarse graciousness, let Richt coach. He needed to be cut loose and let the rest of staff gameplan.....FSU would have played better.

That said, had Bobby turned the reigns over to Jeff Bowden that day, you actually may have kicked our butts, rather than just beating us..... ;-)

DRLSooner
9/15/2011, 12:09 AM

As to that Orange Bowl, the score hardly indicates an ***-kicking. OU won, outplayed FSU.

I put 100% of that loss on Bowden. Richt had accepted UGA HC job and was clearly more focused on that then coaching the Orange Bowl.

Bowden in his agonizingly (at times) dumbarse graciousness, let Richt coach. He needed to be cut loose and let the rest of staff gameplan.....FSU would have played better.

That said, had Bobby turned the reigns over to Jeff Bowden that day, you actually may have kicked our butts, rather than just beating us..... ;-)
No disrepect meant... I'm an old ball player, any win is an ***-kicking : )

It was a great defensive game. You guys had some things that hampered you, and so did we. Heupel was missing open receivers all night long, and when he did hit them it wasnt in stride as it had been all year... his elbow was about to fall off.

As for Richt, we feel your pain. Similar circumstances when Mike Stoops took the Zona job before the Sugar Bowl against LSU.

And just for ****s and giggles... the game was in Florida, you guys did have that going for you. As did LSU, Florida, Miami, etc. Its fun to play for National Championships in your opponents back yard.

The point of my post was that your fans werent bad as far as I was concerned back in 1996, except for the elderly guy and some drunk students (never seen students who werent).

Good luck Saturday, heres to a well-played, injury-free game. Wish I could be there.

colleyvillesooner
9/15/2011, 06:35 AM
Yep. I've found it easy to stay out if trouble by not slowing down at all when dealing with the drink student yelling. 9 times out if 10 they will not follow.

My favorite: Standing on the corner waiting for a cab outside Harrah's in New Orleans around 1:30 am with my dad. DRUNK LSU student comes up, stands between us from behind and says "Tiger Bait!" I say "Good game, y'all played well. Congrats."

His response: "yeah...but...TIGER BAIT!!!" then just walked off.

Sooner in Tampa
9/15/2011, 07:43 AM
Our plan is to go, have fun, be respectful (it is their house), and enjoy the entire day/evening...I refuse to banter with drunk kids.

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 07:56 AM
Just gotta LMFAO at this post! Almost guess this was a Gator fan.

Sooner fans will be treated well in Tallahassee. It's a novelty. This will be the biggest game there has been in years and people will be PUMPED. You've had our number historically, currently #1 ranking. Won't get any better. IF we can win, man, that sends a major message to the college football world. And trust me, this will be a different game in Tally.

Yes, you may have the drunken student element like you would at any school that could "ruin your day", bu they're in the minority and certain no worse than just about any SEC venue or the likes of Maryland. You'll have seen worse if you see that, and it's rare. Usually the *** only comes out for Florida or Miami in small doses. Most any FSU fan will be very gracious to a visitor the likes of Oklahoma.

I went to Norman last year, and agree there are no bars like Campus Corner nearby. Tennessee Street is the closest. It's not the prettiest of towns in the world, but hey, let's be honest, neither was Norman. And the local hotels jack you up on the price and require 2 day minimums, so watch out. I stay in Marianna usually about an hour away.

You want to get near the stadium early to soak in the atmosphere. It's truly one of the great spectacles in college football. FSU didn't win that contest recently for nothing. Definitely get in for the pre-game early enough to watch the Marching Chiefs and Chief Osceola.

Only warning for visitors: The Warchant will drive you CRAZY after a while. Incessant droning. But hey, it works!

I posted some tips months ago in another thread, so here's to a great game!

Go Noles!

Wishboned
9/15/2011, 08:04 AM
Only warning for visitors: The Warchant will drive you CRAZY after a while. Incessant droning. But hey, it works!

It drove me crazy last year when some of your lower class fans were doing it through the moment of silence for 9/11.

lasooner123
9/15/2011, 08:10 AM
did you enjoy living in tallahassee?

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 08:22 AM
Hell yeah. I was an Assistant when in Grad School. Back then, it was 3-1 girls, so yeah, it was fun. Too bad you guys can't go out the Reservation.

Sooner24
9/15/2011, 08:23 AM
It can't be any worse than the asshats in Miami a couple of years ago.

TrophyCollector
9/15/2011, 08:23 AM

Were you alive when that game happened? FSU was completely dominated. Never scored, never threatened to score, completely dominated and had no chance to win the game. The game was OVER during the coin toss when T Marsh made Wienke **** his football pants. For a MNC game, that was a complete ace kicking.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 08:56 AM

Nope. Remember what I said...I actually was a faculty-member at FSU for 3 1/2 years. Not a Gator fan, but definitely jaded because I'm a life-long Sooners fan and was in T'hsse during our down years. Everything I posted about was from my experience during those times. Again, things may have changed.

I actually loved my job, enjoyed my home and would have gladly stayed if circumstances were different. There is something wonderful about teaching at a University and I appreciated each minute I was there, even though I hated the traffic, politics, FSU skullduggery, etc.

Learned to sail.
Had nice house on 1.5 acres
Bass fishing was excellent
Again, fried mullet is the shiz
Cheap trips to DisneyWorld for my young girls
Learned a great deal about racial interaction and tolerance (and intolerance)
Enjoyed 3 hurricanes
Panama City is a sneeze away

However, until this Oklahoma summer, Tallahassee was BY FAR the most miserable, humid, hottest place I have ever lived.

colleyvillesooner
9/15/2011, 10:16 AM
Just gotta LMFAO at this post!

Go Noles!

There's no way it's worse than "DUH DUH-DUH-DUH-DUH...GO TIGERS!" or the USC Fight On at the National Championship Games. Jesus.

Sooner24
9/15/2011, 12:12 PM
Nope. Remember what I said...I actually was a faculty-member at FSU for 3 1/2 years. Not a Gator fan, but definitely jaded because I'm a life-long Sooners fan and was in T'hsse during our down years. Everything I posted about was from my experience during those times. Again, things may have changed.

I actually loved my job, enjoyed my home and would have gladly stayed if circumstances were different. There is something wonderful about teaching at a University and I appreciated each minute I was there, even though I hated the traffic, politics, FSU skullduggery, etc.

Learned to sail.
Had nice house on 1.5 acres
Bass fishing was excellent
Again, fried mullet is the shiz
Cheap trips to DisneyWorld for my young girls
Learned a great deal about racial interaction and tolerance (and intolerance)
Enjoyed 3 hurricanes
Panama City is a sneeze away

However, until this Oklahoma summer, Tallahassee was BY FAR the most miserable, humid, hottest place I have ever lived.

At least it was a dry heat this summer.

SoonerLaw09
9/15/2011, 12:56 PM
Dissing Norman, bad form. It's a nice looking clean old-school college town, maybe a bit larger than it should be, but...

I've been to a lot of college campuses, including just about all the Big 12 (think I'm missing Mizzery and K-State). OU is by far the second most visually appealing (don't smack me)...I must give it up to KU as being the most beautiful and aesthetic set of buildings and grounds I've ever seen.

HolaKyle
9/15/2011, 01:25 PM
The Redhead and I went to Miami and that really sucked monkey balls. The whole football part of Florida can suck it. Safe travels to those headed to Talahassee. I'll stick to travelling to road games where the fans are not thugs. At A&M a few years ago we were invited into some Aggie's tailgate party and ate bbq. Much better...

Unfortunately my GF and I had the same experience in Miami. The things they were saying to us made her on the verge of tears.

However, I miss living in Norman so much I am going to brave it this weekend. I am traveling with a FSU season ticket holder. I hope he will know where to go and where not to. If things get really bad, I'll bring a general hoodie to pull over my OU shirt. Hopefully it won't get that bad though.

DYNOMITE
9/15/2011, 02:10 PM
was accepted to grad school at fsu - drove through tallahassee on the way back from my visit to UF in gainesville. campus (alone) was enough to make the decision - the town itself was the final dagger. needless to say, my 2 years at UF were A-OK!!

Gainesville might be just as bad. Both cities are ****holes.

ryrog345
9/15/2011, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't listen to this guy if I were OU fans off the simple fact that he recommended you go hang out in Frenchtown (our "ghetto"). Traffic isn't much of a problem in Tallahassee, but maybe that's because I've lived in relevant cities before where traffic was a problem like Houston and Atlanta. Norman was no better on gameday than Tallahassee will be. Don't listen to this guy and make your own observations. I'm sure there will be some bad experiences because all fanbases have their bad apples, but I seriously doubt a lot of you come back agreeing with what this guy says. I didn't live in Tallahassee in 1995, but I can tell you that his stories from back then don't sound anything like what Tallahassee and Florida State's campus are now.

He's also wrong about the bar scene. Just start a crawl on Tennessee St. by Bullwinkles, Yianni's, the Irish Pub, the In Between, and Floyd's. A couple blocks away is Potbelly's too. I'm sorry we're not quaint enough, but that's not the college vibe we're going for. If you want a quaint little ACC town then schedule Clemson.

And as for the "FSU fans are the epitome of suck" I'm sure we were a little more arrogant and annoying in the 90s....but that was quite awhile ago. I can definitely see why a non-FSU fan would hate living in Tallahassee during our streak of 14 straight finishes in the top 5. Most fanbases would be aggravating with that much confidence and feelings of self-entitlement.

Don't go into your trip with a closed mind because of this guy.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't listen to this guy if I were OU fans off the simple fact that he recommended you go hang out in Frenchtown (our "ghetto"). Traffic isn't much of a problem in Tallahassee, but maybe that's because I've lived in relevant cities before where traffic was a problem like Houston and Atlanta. Norman was no better on gameday than Tallahassee will be. Don't listen to this guy and make your own observations. I'm sure there will be some bad experiences because all fanbases have their bad apples, but I seriously doubt a lot of you come back agreeing with what this guy says. I didn't live in Tallahassee in 1995, but I can tell you that his stories from back then don't sound anything like what Tallahassee and Florida State's campus are now.

He's also wrong about the bar scene. Just start a crawl on Tennessee St. by Bullwinkles, Yianni's, the Irish Pub, the In Between, and Floyd's. A couple blocks away is Potbelly's too. I'm sorry we're not quaint enough, but that's not the college vibe we're going for. If you want a quaint little ACC town then schedule Clemson.

And as for the "FSU fans are the epitome of suck" I'm sure we were a little more arrogant and annoying in the 90s....but that was quite awhile ago. I can definitely see why a non-FSU fan would hate living in Tallahassee during our streak of 14 straight finishes in the top 5. Most fanbases would be aggravating with that much confidence and feelings of self-entitlement.

Don't go into your trip with a closed mind because of this guy.

We did that. They canceled.

You are correct, Tallahassee is not Atlanta or Houston, no. But the traffic was horrible as it often took me :45 mins to get to work from 8 miles away.

As far as bar scene, I'll stand by what I said. Those places were there for the most part, when I was. For OU fans edification, Tennessee St is like Norman's Main Street, except it runs along the north of campus where Main St is 5 blocks away.

Frenchtown was a cool place when I was there. Lots of FAMU vibe. It is the poor part of town, but that doesn't mean bad. This also could have changed.

Thanks for posting. We are pretty welcoming to other school's fans so please, stick around. I did mention, as you pointed out, that this was the mid-90s when I gained my impressions. I also stated that I hope our fans find my jaded-ness to be wrong and antique.

C&CDean
9/15/2011, 03:44 PM
Find these three guys and give em' a hug and a kiss from Dean:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3011/dsc0276hj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/dsc0276hj.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

ryrog345
9/15/2011, 03:50 PM
We did that. They canceled.

You are correct, Tallahassee is not Atlanta or Houston, no. But the traffic was horrible as it often took me :45 mins to get to work from 8 miles away.

As far as bar scene, I'll stand by what I said. Those places were there for the most part, when I was. For OU fans edification, Tennessee St is like Norman's Main Street, except it runs along the north of campus where Main St is 5 blocks away.

Frenchtown was a cool place when I was there. Lots of FAMU vibe. It is the poor part of town, but that doesn't mean bad. This also could have changed.

Thanks for posting. We are pretty welcoming to other school's fans so please, stick around. I did mention, as you pointed out, that this was the mid-90s when I gained my impressions. I also stated that I hope our fans find my jaded-ness to be wrong and antique.I mean I went to Norman last year and thought it was a very nice campus. The people were also really friendly, especially after the beatdown....but I mean what more could you say that the scoreboard didn't tell FSU fans that day? I think you would be surprised with how much Tallahassee has changed since you've been there. And Frenchtown isn't a place most people would enjoy. If you are cool with some people there and are down to play some chess and smoke a blunt, then it can be pretty chill. But to the average resident and tourist, it isn't exactly the friendliest and most welcoming part of Tallahassee.

EatLeadCommie
9/15/2011, 04:14 PM
I was in Tallahassee once. Spring break 1993 or 1994, as I recall. Don't recall much though because I was quite drunk. Went to some dance club, then hit up a Shoney's or Denny's late night and ate about 50 lbs. of scrambled eggs from their buffet that I promptly barfed up when I woke up the next day.

Good times.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/15/2011, 04:35 PM
I think there's a thread like this for every road game we play.

CobNole
9/15/2011, 04:52 PM
The original poster sounds like a very bitter bitter person who didn't fit in here and I would even go as far as saying is a racist. Most people I know went to school here, moved away, and moved back to raise their families here. Very much a Christian community and people are willing to help others.

Burt Reynolds Hall was the original football team off-campus dorm when the NCAA allowed those. It was donated by Burt hence the name. It is far from segregated. If that were the case, how is it several black players room with white players? FAMU's campus is about a mile from FSU. There have been some isolated issues over the last 20 years but nothing on a regular basis by any means.

So you are saying Deion came back to Tallahassee when you were here and stole a necklace? You lived here in the mid-90's. You do realize he was playing in the NFL at that time right?

You must really be scared of traffic. It isn't a problem unless you are used to driving in a town of 800 people. Oh and that "circle" you speak of is called Capital Circle. It's at least 5 miles from FSU and the Capital. It is 6 lanes and traffic flows nicely.

Fans. Wow. What can I say. Way to really isolate your self on this one.

Finally let me say I for one am very thankful you are no longer affiliated with this town or this university. I'm embarrassed to know you were once affiliated here. Your anger really shows and I hope you can seek treatment because you really need it.

For the rest of the OU fans that are heading this way, please be rest assured you will enjoy yourself. All I've heard in the past year is how nice the OU fans were in Norman last year. Even though we lost big, our fans do remember that and you will be treated with the same respect. Granted all schools have their bad eggs so let's hope those are kept to a minimum.

Safe travels and enjoy your weekend in Tallahassee!

silverwheels
9/15/2011, 05:08 PM
I think there's a thread like this for every road game we play.

That's because everywhere but Norman sucks.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 05:12 PM
The original poster sounds like a very bitter bitter person who didn't fit in here and I would even go as far as saying is a racist. Most people I know went to school here, moved away, and moved back to raise their families here. Very much a Christian community and people are willing to help others.

Burt Reynolds Hall was the original football team off-campus dorm when the NCAA allowed those. It was donated by Burt hence the name. It is far from segregated. If that were the case, how is it several black players room with white players? FAMU's campus is about a mile from FSU. There have been some isolated issues over the last 20 years but nothing on a regular basis by any means.

So you are saying Deion came back to Tallahassee when you were here and stole a necklace? You lived here in the mid-90's. You do realize he was playing in the NFL at that time right?

You must really be scared of traffic. It isn't a problem unless you are used to driving in a town of 800 people. Oh and that "circle" you speak of is called Capital Circle. It's at least 5 miles from FSU and the Capital. It is 6 lanes and traffic flows nicely.

Finally let me say I for one am very thankful you are no longer affiliated with this town or this university. I'm embarrassed to know you were once affiliated here. Your anger really shows and I hope you can seek treatment because you really need it.

For the rest of the OU fans that are heading this way, please be rest assured you will enjoy yourself. All I've heard in the past year is how nice the OU fans were in Norman last year. Even though we lost big, our fans do remember that and you will be treated with the same respect. Granted all schools have their bad eggs so let's hope those are kept to a minimum.

LOL...why, because I like fried mullet? Dude, you simply haven't a clue what you speak of. Pay tention, I was RECOMMENDING the poor side of town. (I also taught at FAMU...and LOVED it.)

I said WAS segregated. Thanks for the update. Curious: Do they not live at Burt Reynolds any longer? You said "was".

Deion stole the necklace long before I got there. I didn't say he stole it when I was there. Reading comprehension 101.

I lived off Buck Lake Road. I know what Capital Circle is, and when I was there, it was two lane for the most part. It is kind of irrelevant what the name is, right? Again, thanks for the update.

Fans? I lived there...I know what I saw.

Treatment? Why, because I don't like your town very much? If that is the case, Dallas would have had me in the looney bin, long ago.

If you read the entire thread, Senor Cob, you'd see how I have said often I hope I am wrong.

winout
9/15/2011, 06:09 PM

Ok, you guys are making me homesick. I recently received some free postcards with campus pix from an OU club mailing... showed them to my six year old and told him "I gotta take you guys (my family) to a game there soon."

Blue
9/15/2011, 06:22 PM
I went to school at OU, Auburn, and Alabama and went to Oxford often and I'd rank those Ala, Ole Miss, OU, and then Auburn. All 4 were greatlooking campuses though.

olevetonahill
9/15/2011, 06:26 PM
LOL...why, because I like fried mullet? Dude, you simply haven't a clue what you speak of. Pay tention, I was RECOMMENDING the poor side of town. (I also taught at FAMU...and LOVED it.)

I said WAS segregated. Thanks for the update. Curious: Do they not live at Burt Reynolds any longer? You said "was".

Deion stole the necklace long before I got there. I didn't say he stole it when I was there. Reading comprehension 101.

I lived off Buck Lake Road. I know what Capital Circle is, and when I was there, it was two lane for the most part. It is kind of irrelevant what the name is, right? Again, thanks for the update.

Fans? I lived there...I know what I saw.

Treatment? Why, because I don't like your town very much? If that is the case, Dallas would have had me in the looney bin, long ago.

If you read the entire thread, Senor Cob, you'd see how I have said often I hope I am wrong.

Bro, Some visiting posters seem to get their panties in a wad in a hurry. Just like THEY shouldnt try to judge you from ONE post, I wont judge them from ONE post
I to hope every one has a great time there

SoonerNomad
9/15/2011, 06:39 PM
I lived in Tallahassee from 1999 to 2001 and went to three games while I was there and tailgated at a couple of others. Always wore my OU stuff, was treated well and had a great time.

I do agree with the original poster on the traffic. The capital and the campus are right in the middle of big spoke of roads that all come together downtown and it was horrible to and from work every day. I had to work downtown across from the capital and it was a 30 minute drive to go 8 miles every morning. It was especially bad during the election of 2000 controversy. Racism certainly is rampant, but I have lived in nine states and numerous communities within those states and racism has been bad everywhere.

As for police ignoring FSU players transgressions, I can't speak to that, but I worked in the State's Attorney's office and they actually made it a policy not to cut the usual slack to an FSU player because it looked like they were getting a break that they didn't deserve because of who they were (they didn't see the irony that treating them worse than a similarly situated defendant was also bad policy).

Having said all that, I enjoyed my time in Tallahassee and will be ecstatic when I get off the plane tomorrow night and go hang out with some friends and get ready to enjoy a great game on Saturday night.

BOOMER!!

C&CDean
9/15/2011, 06:45 PM

Settle down Chief Osceola. Jeez.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 06:56 PM
Bro, Some visiting posters seem to get their panties in a wad in a hurry. Just like THEY shouldnt try to judge you from ONE post, I wont judge them from ONE post
I to hope every one has a great time there

Hey, there was a time when being called a racist would have set me off like Dean at a Grateful Dead concert.

My time in Tallahassee taught me more about the subject than most people get to know, and IDGAS how others perceive my viewpoint on this subject.

I will take the time to point out when someone is completely missing my point, however Bro.

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 06:59 PM
Find these three guys and give em' a hug and a kiss from Dean:

Hey! I resemble that remark. Keep it on the Fark Board will ya. :smug:

Sorry you guys can't make it. That tailgate was first class and we'd surely reciprocate the hospitality! And I think you'd like the scenery! ;-)

soonerfromgeorgia
9/15/2011, 07:05 PM
As most of you know from my previous post I live 45 to 50 minutes north of Tallahassee and I dislike FSU alot. Some of their fans are the most obnoxious jerks of all the teams in this area. I've tried to like them some since the ball boy on my high school football team when I played ended up going there and winning the Heisman back in '93 and that the same HS currently has 2 players there, but I just can't do it due to how their fans act.

The last 4 or 5 years Bobby was there the NCAA overlooked a lot of things as they were trying to let him retire without the disgrace of being caught cheating, FSU finally forced his hand cause of the heat.

Tallahassee isn't a bad town, it is just congested in that area with 3 colleges (smallest has over 13,000 students), the capital and the civic center all being so close together. Doak Cambell stadium is nice on the outside, ok on the inside.

Tallahassee does have some pretty nice golf courses if you plan to bring your clubs.

Blue
9/15/2011, 07:38 PM
I was in valdosta, Ga for a funeral a few weeks back and walked into Fedex wearing an OU cap. tha salesman said, "Do you know whats on the back of FSU jerseys?" I said "no". He said, "Well get used to it. You'll see them alot as they are scoring TDs all night Sept 17th." I laughed and said, "You talk alot of smack for someone who got beat down by 30 a year ago." He started saying things like, "That was last year, we're better, night game, blah blah..." I was nice and agreed and said yes It'll be a great game and I look forward to it. He settled down and we talked football for 20 minutes or so while I waited for a fax.

That conversation could have gone two ways. You just got to keep your cool.

SunnySooner
9/15/2011, 07:44 PM
Well hell, I've lived in Flahwda for 4 years, this will be my second OU game, it's way more I've been to than any other state I've lived in, and it's GOT to be better than THUG U, so, thanks LB, I hear ya, but we're bringing a token 'Nole, the neighbor's kid, so maybe they'll be nice to us. :D ;)

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 07:45 PM
Man, I've watched some phenomenal HS football in Valdosta.

Good times.

Blue
9/15/2011, 07:49 PM
Man, I've watched some phenomenal HS football in Valdosta.

Good times.

Lowndes County and the Valdosta Wildcats. Great programs. Add to that my hometown daphne, Al and my current location Hoover, Al. and I have as well. Gotta love Friday Night football.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2011, 08:01 PM
Camden County was getting real good when I was there, beating Valdosta finally. They still winning?

Blue
9/15/2011, 08:11 PM
Camden County was getting real good when I was there, beating Valdosta finally. They still winning?

Not sure. My grandma lived there.

PLaw
9/15/2011, 08:39 PM

From what I saw last year in Norman, most of them (including my buddy that caravaned from Dallas with me) were gone by middle of the 3rd qtr. I would be more concerned about a tight fit where they stick around until the end of the game.

BOOMER

NoleMan
9/16/2011, 08:13 AM
This falls into the "FWIW Column":

We take pride in our school and always want visiting fans to have a great time. Issues that you do see, to me, are usually generational (younger set) and geographical (certain parts of the country are just plain nicer).

But, you can be assured FSU wants to make this a great experience for the Sooners. In fact, I'll share an email I got from our AD on the matter:

We are working hard to promote civility in and around the stadium this weekend. We need fans like yourself to welcome the Sooners and to remind those Seminole fans who are out of character to be respectful.

Thanks for your support.

Go Noles!

Randy

You can count on a ton of us at least trying to make this a great game for OU! That doesn't include our team of course. :smug:

SanJoaquinSooner
9/16/2011, 08:42 AM
I'm surprised at the negative comments about the city of Tallahassee. When I interviewed there, more than one person commented on the high percentage of grads who choose to stay in Tallahassee.

Noles5806
9/16/2011, 09:31 AM
I was not in Tallahassee in the 90's much, so I can't speak to the truth of this poster's thoughts about Tallahassee then, but my brother started attended FSU in 1999, I attended FSU from 2006-2011, and I have been going to football games all through that span. Through all that time, I've never seen fsu fans give opposing team fans a problem, other than a few obnoxious drunks which every team has and they give every team a problem. There might be some friendly jibes, but just roll with it, and most fans will have a good laugh with you. Basically, I'd say that either the town has completely changed, or the poster was exaggerating/wrong. I'm sad that I'm no longer a student and can't make this game, because I really love the atmosphere at night at Doak, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. Also, if you're looking for some food, I'd recommend Wells Brothers bar & grill, aka Monk's for the best burgers in town. It's a local place, fairly near to fsu but a little bit secluded. Another good choice if you're looking for somewhere a bit classier, is 101 restaurant downtown. And don't go to Frenchtown. If any of you are given trouble, I'm truly sorry, but please don't judge our fanbase off of a few bad apples.

Now, to the part of this post that really made me mad: trashing Bobby Bowden. Where does that come from? If that were true, then Bobby Bowden is apparently the best actor in the world because he has fooled everyone in the media, on opposing teams, and fans into thinking he's really nice and a class act. There are countless stories of people who have met Bobby (and not just nole fans) who say he is one of the nicest people they've ever met. I have personally met Bowden at a seminole booster event in 2004, and while that interaction was very short, he was seemed like someone who genuinely cared, not just someone who was patronizing fans for their money. I cannot speak to some of the other things you said about, but what you said about Bobby contradicts just about everything ever said about him.

Anyway, with that rant over, I really hope you Sooners enjoy the game. It's a fun game atmosphere, and looks to be a great matchup. You all know who I hope wins, but I'm excited to have such a big program coming to Tallahassee for the first time, and wish you guys the best of luck in all of your other games!

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 10:00 AM
I have noted several responses from posters that have given different impressions of what Tallahassee is like now. Again, my point of view is from the '90s and I'm glad to see changes have been made and also fans coming here and defending their town, as I certainly would Norman. Keep in mind it is game week and I probably would have written my post differently if it wasn't. All that grief I took for being an OU fan when we couldn't even beat ourselves makes each beatdown of the Florida Women's College that much sweeter.

There is no doubt I am spoiled. Spoiled having grown up in Norman, season tickets since 1966, living in Norman now. When I was in Tallahassee, it was very easy to compare that environment with what I was used to here, and frankly, it didn't compare.

As far as Bobby Bowden is concerned, we all love The King here, who is just as amicable and warm and funny as BB but who also admits his failings and some of his...well, creativity. BB never owns up to his own doings and probably never will and that makes him Jim Bakerish in my mind. I'm not the only one that thinks so.

soonertravis
9/16/2011, 12:42 PM

Sooner fans will be treated well in Tallahassee. It's a novelty. This will be the biggest game there has been in years and people will be PUMPED. You've had our number historically, currently #1 ranking. Won't get any better. IF we can win, man, that sends a major message to the college football world. And trust me, this will be a different game in Tally.

Yes, you may have the drunken student element like you would at any school that could "ruin your day", bu they're in the minority and certain no worse than just about any SEC venue or the likes of Maryland. You'll have seen worse if you see that, and it's rare. Usually the *** only comes out for Florida or Miami in small doses. Most any FSU fan will be very gracious to a visitor the likes of Oklahoma.

I went to Norman last year, and agree there are no bars like Campus Corner nearby. Tennessee Street is the closest. It's not the prettiest of towns in the world, but hey, let's be honest, neither was Norman. And the local hotels jack you up on the price and require 2 day minimums, so watch out. I stay in Marianna usually about an hour away.

You want to get near the stadium early to soak in the atmosphere. It's truly one of the great spectacles in college football. FSU didn't win that contest recently for nothing. Definitely get in for the pre-game early enough to watch the Marching Chiefs and Chief Osceola.

I posted some tips months ago in another thread, so here's to a great game!

Go Noles!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-kla-homa! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-kla-homa!

Mr. Peanut
9/16/2011, 04:56 PM
Guy on the right is me Dean!

Damn I need a shave.....

soonerfromgeorgia
9/16/2011, 10:56 PM

Camden this season

Date Day Time Opponent Location/Score
Aug 25 Thu Savannah (3-AAAAA)* Won 66-0
Sep 05 Mon 7:30 PM Glenville, OH Won 23-14
Sep 16 Fri 7:30 PM Windsor Forest (3-AAAAA)* Won 55-13

They won state championships in the highest classification in 2003, 2008 and 2009

hornswaggled
9/16/2011, 11:18 PM
Back in 1968 I walked alone up North Lincoln Street alone at night..., but I ran back to the motel when I saw someone coming toward me.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2011, 08:15 AM
Camden this season

Date Day Time Opponent Location/Score
Aug 25 Thu Savannah (3-AAAAA)* Won 66-0
Sep 05 Mon 7:30 PM Glenville, OH Won 23-14
Sep 16 Fri 7:30 PM Windsor Forest (3-AAAAA)* Won 55-13

They won state championships in the highest classification in 2003, 2008 and 2009

I would say they became a power! Good 'ole Navy kids.

C&CDean
9/17/2011, 09:47 AM
Guy on the right is me Dean!

Damn I need a shave.....

I enjoyed the day - probably much more than y'all did. Sorry we can't make it out.

Blue
9/17/2011, 11:17 AM
All the FSU fans we've come across so far have been great. We'll see though today and tonight. We're sittin in the heart of the FSU fans next to the student section. Should be interesting.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2011, 11:34 AM
All the FSU fans we've come across so far have been great. We'll see though today and tonight. We're sittin in the heart of the FSU fans next to the student section. Should be interesting.

I'm beginning to see the power of playing a home and home in Norman first.

Didn't work with Miami though, although I don't recall near as many Miami fans in Norman on that brutal hot day as FSU fans last year.

Sooner24
9/17/2011, 12:05 PM
All the FSU fans have been great to us. We are in Po' Boys waiting for our lunch right now. Several FSU fans came to our table at Shula's last night telling us what a great time they had in Norman last year and thanking us for coming and hoped we are having a great time. Nothing but love so far.

colleyvillesooner
9/17/2011, 12:20 PM
Heh, waiting in PoBoys right now.

OU69BeaufortCounty
9/17/2011, 01:26 PM
Original poster's 15 year old opinions have no relationship to 2011. Am in Tallahassee right now, having a great time and resting up for the game tonight. Everyone is very welcoming to OU fans and many say they appreciated the treatment they got in Norman last year. Plan on coming back in the future to see more of the local attractions.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2011, 01:43 PM
Original poster's 15 year old opinions have no relationship to 2011. Am in Tallahassee right now, having a great time and resting up for the game tonight. Everyone is very welcoming to OU fans and many say they appreciated the treatment they got in Norman last year. Plan on coming back in the future to see more of the local attractions.

Impressions, not opinions.

Keep in mind, I was there 3 years, not 2 days.

C&CDean
9/17/2011, 02:02 PM

If OP is 15, I'm 18. Glad you're having fun, but you probably oughta think a little before posting.

colleyvillesooner
9/17/2011, 02:06 PM
I think he meant he lived there 15 years ago.

C&CDean
9/17/2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah, maybe.

Blue
9/17/2011, 02:30 PM
We were at Andrews Sports bar around the corner. Good Sooner Contingent represented. Lots of tvs. Heading to the stadium around 5.

EatLeadCommie
9/17/2011, 02:55 PM
I'm beginning to see the power of playing a home and home in Norman first.

Didn't work with Miami though, although I don't recall near as many Miami fans in Norman on that brutal hot day as FSU fans last year.
Miami is a different animal entirely, though. They are a small school and the people that attended the game in Norman were most likely alumni. The people who attend the games in Miami are mostly townies, a large contingent of whom happen to be scum.

I am glad to hear that so many Sooner fans are being treated well in Tally.

brigadeer
9/18/2011, 08:35 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with the OP. Tallahassee was great, as were the fans. My wife and I got to the stadium area around 3pm, a full 5 hours prior to kickoff. Not one negative word was said to us while we were there. As a matter of fact, I had at least 3-4 random FSU fans pat me on the back and say something to the effect of welcome to Tallahassee. I had another 3-4 people tell me they went to Norman last year and were treated great.

I went into the game thinking we would be heckled and yelled at by a bunch of drunks (night game after all). I could not have been more impressed with the fans.

I didn't think the campus was all that nice, although I'm sure I sampled only a small portion of it. The exterior facade od Doak Walker Stadium was huge and impressive. I say facade because that's exactly what it was IMHO. Once you got inside you saw the guts of a very old Stadium. When in my seats looking over the entire stadium, I could not believe it held 80K+ people. Did not look nearly as large as Owen Field. That said, one could look at my statement as a compliment as the seats felt like they were all on top of the field so to speak, and there were 80k of them.

As far as the war chant tradition goes, I thought it was really cool and unique myself. I loved the Chief Oceola portion before the game as well, very cool IMHO all the way around and I feel lucky to have been there at least once to witness it.

This by far has been my favorite travel game experience. Boomer Sooner!

brigadeer
9/18/2011, 08:46 AM
heh.
I thought of that.

I decided not to discourage anyone from going because of my own experiences, because it was 15 years ago and things may have changed? I hope so.

I wanted to respond to this as well. 15 years ago, they were at the tail end of a spectacular run in college football, winning two National Championships and finishing in the top five for the better part of a decade or more.

I would say that any fan base, OU included, would develop a sense of entitlement, feeling you were better than everyone else, and attracting every bandwagon fan (which are typically the loudest and most obnoxious of all fans in my experience).

I don't think OU fans have ever been bad, but I personally feel we are much better as a fan base having recently (relative to some) gone through a dry spell of our own. I had five football seasons while attending OU, almost all of them bad. I had two years of Gibbs, on years of Schnellenburger, and two years of Blake. To say that I never developed a sense of entitlement as a fan is an understatement,

My point is, Florida State is just coming out of their own dry spell, although not nearly dry as ours IMHO. I have to think that time had to humble their fan base a lot, which is why I think my experience with them this weekend was probably 180 degrees different than how you knew them 10 years ago.

Noles5806
9/18/2011, 10:09 PM
First off, nice game ya'll, was a very exciting one, that I think would've been even closer if not for the unfortunate injury to Manuel. But, it happens, that's football, and Trickett didn't play bad. You guys have an incredible defense, and a great offense, which our d could only contain, not stop completely. I'll be cheering for you guys the rest of the season, and I hope we just lost to the eventual national champion. Hopefully we'll make you guys look good by winning out.

Second, thanks to all the fans who posted positive reviews of Tallahassee. I'm glad you all have seen that Tallahassee is not near so scary as the original poster made it out to be. I'm not getting into how it was 15 years ago, I was not there, so I can't say for certain. What I do know is that these days FSU has probably the least obnoxious fan base in the state of florida. It probably is related to the bandwagon fans, because the bandwagon fans were by far the worst UF fans over the past few years. I'm glad many of you seem to have enjoyed your trip, and I hope FSU schedules OU, or perhaps meets them in a bowl game again soon, was definitely one of the best fsu games in a long time, even though we lost.

Ga.SoonerGirl
9/18/2011, 10:34 PM
My husband & I arrived at College Gameday around 9 Saturday morning and pretty much spent the entire afternoon surrounded by FSU fans. I really expected a fair amount of smack talk but we had so many Noles welcome us to town and wish us good luck along with a good natured " but I hope you lose". We headed to The Palace Saloon to watch some of the early afternoon games and spent our time sharing a table with a group of recent FSU grads. During the game, We were near the Sooner group but surrounded by Noles. They were friendly even in defeat. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about the walk back to the car after the game,we had parked at the Civic center which meant almost a mile walk from the stadium. No problem other than a drunk guy up on a balcony yelling but his FSU neighbors were telling him to shut up,lol. We even had several fans stop us shake our hands and tell us congrats. This weekend was an early b-day gift from my husband and we had a great time at FSU.

Partial Qualifier
9/18/2011, 10:44 PM
If you are cool with some people there and are down to play some chess and smoke a blunt, then it can be pretty chill. But to the average resident and tourist, it isn't exactly the friendliest and most welcoming part of Tallahassee.

Heh, sounds like hard times down there. I'm picturing some bonfires going in trash cans, grilling rats on shopping carts, etc, lol