PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting FSU stats from last year

The Maestro
9/14/2011, 03:39 PM
Yes, it was last year...but...

I think I already posted this one and it is the key to the game to me. Sacks. FSU's strength seems to be their defensive line. They had 48 sacks last year...only one in Norman. My point? As quickly as Landry gets rid of the ball it should be hard for FSU to get in his face. As well, if we establish the run we can utilize play action as well, meaning the line has to wait...and then we beat 'em more.

Last year...FSU ended the season on a high note, with an impressive win over South Carolina. Did you know the Cocks lost their best player, Marcus Lattimore, on the opening drive of the game? That meant the game rested on QB Steven Garcia, who anyone who knows college football knows he has issues.

FSU barely beat Clemson 16-13. They scored 16 on Clemson.

North Carolina won at FSU late in the year, 37-35. Repeating. FSU lost at home to North Carolina, 37-35. The Tar Heels QB had 439 yards passing and 3 TD passes. In Tallahassee.

We scored 44 straight on them last year.

Va Tech scored 44 on FSU as well in the ACC Championship.

Not sure why last season led to FSU being ranked preseason ahead of the likes of OSU, Texas A&M and Wisconsin...based on their seasons and returners...

Hurry up, Saturday...

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2011, 04:00 PM
Yes, it was last year...but...

I think I already posted this one and it is the key to the game to me. Sacks. FSU's strength seems to be their defensive line. They had 48 sacks last year...only one in Norman. My point? As quickly as Landry gets rid of the ball it should be hard for FSU to get in his face. As well, if we establish the run we can utilize play action as well, meaning the line has to wait...and then we beat 'em more.

Last year...FSU ended the season on a high note, with an impressive win over South Carolina. Did you know the Cocks lost their best player, Marcus Lattimore, on the opening drive of the game? That meant the game rested on QB Steven Garcia, who anyone who knows college football knows he has issues.

FSU barely beat Clemson 16-13. They scored 16 on Clemson.

North Carolina won at FSU late in the year, 37-35. Repeating. FSU lost at home to North Carolina, 37-35. The Tar Heels QB had 439 yards passing and 3 TD passes. In Tallahassee.

We scored 44 straight on them last year.

Va Tech scored 44 on FSU as well in the ACC Championship.

Not sure why last season led to FSU being ranked preseason ahead of the likes of OSU, Texas A&M and Wisconsin...based on their seasons and returners...

Hurry up, Saturday...

All good points. A few things that may balance them:

The lack of sacks against us was impressive on our part. I do think our tempo was a factor and they have been working on it all spring/summer, so we'll see if they improved. Hard to get pressure when the D is not even ready for the snap.

SC did lose Lattimore, but they still had that big receiver (Jefferey?) and a pretty good defense. On the flip side, SC may have lacked motivation after getting pounded in the SEC CCG, so more evidence it wasn't such an impressive win.

FSU barely beat Clemson, but Auburn barely beat Clemson at home (took OT). Hard to judge Clemson last year.

Va Tech won 10 straight after the poor start. And they had to play Stanford in the bowl and I think Stanford was playing as well as any team late last year. I think Auburn was lucky to get UO instead of Stanford.

Totally agree that FSU should not be ahead of Wisky, aTm and maybe a few others. I suspect the game with us has something to do with that - TV ratings do impact rankings early in the year. But I won't complain :D

sooneredaco
9/14/2011, 04:10 PM
It is almost time!!! Boomer Sooner!!!
I called it on an earlier thread, but I say 38 to 24 OU. I don't see it beeing much closer than that.

prrriiide
9/14/2011, 04:10 PM
FSU barely beat Clemson, but Auburn barely beat Clemson at home (took OT). Hard to judge Clemson last year.

Yeah, using Clemson as a yardstick at any time is about as productive as pushing a rope. Consistency is not in their make up.

The Maestro
9/14/2011, 04:26 PM
As far as FSU versus South Carolina, Manuel came in game in 2nd quarter...only threw for 84 yards so didn't tear it up by any means. Key to Jeffries being a star for South Carolina was Lattimore's rushing...without him, it was all on Garcia and that dude is a semi-talented train wreck.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2011, 04:36 PM
As far as FSU versus South Carolina, Manuel came in game in 2nd quarter...only threw for 84 yards so didn't tear it up by any means. Key to Jeffries being a star for South Carolina was Lattimore's rushing...without him, it was all on Garcia and that dude is a semi-talented train wreck.

I disagree - Garcia is extremely talented at being a train wreck.

CBUS_SOONER
9/14/2011, 06:29 PM
I disagree - Garcia is extremely talented at being a train wreck.
And playing beer pong

CBUS_SOONER
9/14/2011, 06:30 PM
BTW I never lost at beer pong or caps in college.... Bring it