PDA

View Full Version : Name one thing you dislike about politics in general

badger
9/14/2011, 12:25 PM
I dislike that these people get on their high horses, bully pulpits, run off on a tangent when the camera's are on, pander to whoever their crowd is at any given time, only address issues when they're hot topics and not when they're actually important, etc. etc. etc. are those that we've chosen to represent us.

:( I dislike that we often deserve the representation that we have chosen for ourselves.

OhU1
9/14/2011, 12:37 PM
Political rhetoric for both parties is centered too much around overly simplified "talking points". For example, "over regulation and "Obama Care" has caused high unemployment" is the mantra of the repubs right now.

Worse than talking point politics is all the people who parrot the same after hearing a radio talk show host rant about it.

lexsooner
9/14/2011, 12:38 PM
I dislike the inherent dishonesty in politics when politicians try and represent themselves as being for their people/middle class first. The sad fact is politicians' top priority and that of their parties is to stay in power and possibly increase it. This means their top concern is really meeting the wishes and concerns of those who can most help them with this goal: the rich and powerful, whether it be corporations, unions, influential individuals.

lexsooner
9/14/2011, 12:42 PM
Political rhetoric for both parties is centered too much around overly simplified "talking points". For example, "over regulation and "Obama Care" has caused high unemployment" is the mantra of the repubs right now.

Worse than talking point politics is all the people who parrot the same after hearing a radio talk show host rant about it.

This too ^^^^^^^. I dislike how easily people are manipulated or duped by simplistic messages from politicians or political organizations or worse yet, lightweight pundits. We are our own worst enemies.

TUSooner
9/14/2011, 12:52 PM
Y'all didn't keep it to one, so neither will I: I agree with everything above this post!

marfacowboy
9/14/2011, 12:56 PM
Y'all didn't keep it to one, so neither will I: I agree with everything above this post!
I'll second that. + reps for all.

KantoSooner
9/14/2011, 12:57 PM
All of these are good reasons to dislike 'politics' but none are avoidable. The perfect example of a 'body politic' is a PTA meeting. And very few things are more venomous or display human nature in its more unseemly forms.

We get precisely the government we want and deserve and, if it is slanted to any direction, it is slanted toward favoring the interests of those who care enough to stay focused on an issue or issues.

Don't let the annoying parts get under your skin.

badger
9/14/2011, 01:00 PM
You are allowed to vote twice in this thread :D

:mad: I dislike people who cheat the voting system :mad:

TUSooner
9/14/2011, 01:28 PM
We get precisely the government we want and deserve and, if it is slanted to any direction, it is slanted toward favoring the interests of those who care enough to stay focused on an issue or issues....

Very true. Especially if their focus is backed with lots of money.

badger
9/14/2011, 01:32 PM
Another disliked thing is that often young representatives come into office with a vision and great ideas for the betterment of society, but the system chews em up and spits em out and suddenly the government gridlock means there is no passage of great ideas, just lobbying to keep the status quo.

Ever see the Krusty the Clown being senator episode? Pretty much illustrates the situation. Go to Washington with ideas for the future, end up drunk in a bar after day one :(

JohnnyMack
9/14/2011, 01:54 PM
The No. 1 problem with politics in my opinion is all the money tied to it. The amount of money spent on campaigns and lobbyists is appalling. Second only to the spending done by the politicians themselves.

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2011, 02:03 PM
I hate "Bumper Sticker Rhetoric." It's a result of the short attention span of the American public and the 30-second soundbite, but I absolutely detest the depths to which political rhetoric has fallen. People actually believe that quick "one-liners" have any sort of real meaning.

There's no such thing as nuance in politics anymore. Issues and problems are complex and the solution to those problems cannot be explained in 30-seconds or with a "witty" one-liner. When our political leaders do give an issue its due diligence, they're accused of being long winded and nobody listens to them. When a politician tries to explain the nuance of his position or explain the wide gray areas that typically exist, they're accused of flip-flopping or trying to be "slick."

MR2-Sooner86
9/14/2011, 02:06 PM
The kissing of babies during photo ops.

Pricetag
9/14/2011, 02:37 PM
This too ^^^^^^^. I dislike how easily people are manipulated or duped by simplistic messages from politicians or political organizations or worse yet, lightweight pundits. We are our own worst enemies.
Even worse are the people who are plenty smart enough to see these messages for what they are. We call bull**** on them, and talk mad game about how both sides are hopeless, but when the chips are down, and we stand with our ballot before us, we end up voting for one side or the other after all.

JohnnyMack
9/14/2011, 02:58 PM
I hate "Bumper Sticker Rhetoric." It's a result of the short attention span of the American public and the 30-second soundbite, but I absolutely detest the depths to which political rhetoric has fallen. People actually believe that quick "one-liners" have any sort of real meaning.

There's no such thing as nuance in politics anymore. Issues and problems are complex and the solution to those problems cannot be explained in 30-seconds or with a "witty" one-liner. When our political leaders do give an issue its due diligence, they're accused of being long winded and nobody listens to them. When a politician tries to explain the nuance of his position or explain the wide gray areas that typically exist, they're accused of flip-flopping or trying to be "slick."

Agree. I watched the first CNN debate this year and watching the moderator constantly cut off the participants just as they were getting warmed up was appalling.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 03:41 PM
Actual, true LEADERSHIP no longer exists, at least at the presidential candidate level.

Our presidential process has been reduced to nothing more than American Idol.

NormanPride
9/14/2011, 03:51 PM
I dislike that the system incentivises things like 24/7 campaigning and cronyism, while de-incentivising things like turnover, fresh ideas, and a connection with the constituency.

The fact of the matter is that any system we set up will be abused by those in power to get more power and more money. We just have to keep changing the target every few hundred years or so to keep from being oppressed too horribly.

KantoSooner
9/14/2011, 03:52 PM
Very true. Especially if their focus is backed with lots of money.

Money can substitute for some degree of commitment, but even relatively poor groups, if dogged, can influence the system. Like being rich or poor, rich is 'better', but it really is the staying power that counts in the end.

OhU1
9/14/2011, 04:10 PM

Great response Sic Em. This sums up my personal frustration with the topic of politics and why I increasingly direct my mental energies to other areas of life as I get older.

JohnnyMack
9/14/2011, 04:22 PM
Great response Sic Em. This sums up my personal frustration with the topic of politics and why I increasingly direct my mental energies to other areas of life as I get older.

Are you talking about whacking it?

lexsooner
9/14/2011, 04:25 PM
Are you talking about whacking it?

That doesn't even work as well as you get older.

badger
9/14/2011, 04:59 PM
In expanding on Sic Em's response: BUMPER STICKERS. They really grind my gears [/peter]

Basically, what you have is a nearly-impossible-to-remove token of an election that might be over in a matter of months, weeks, days, etc. that most people don't bother to remove years later. I see tons of W. stickers around, along with Obama 08 or Kerry 04 or other random stuff.

There was a particularly notorious liberal dem back in my rural Wisconsin area that simply DID NOT REMOVE BUMPER STICKERS EVER. There was the one with the faux Green Bay Packer helmet that talked about saving the Wolf River, the unsuccessful challengers to Gov. Tommy Thompson, Feingold, a local (REPUBLICAN!) named Bill Lorge whom was allegedly a family friend (bored the hell outta us high school students when he came to speak for an hour, argh), a LaFollette grandkid, that Doyle guy, etc. etc. etc.

That car was also constantly loaded with random sh!t so the outside matched the inside. It was truly a spectacle to behold.

So people: NO bumper stickers. You will regret it.

soonercoop1
9/14/2011, 05:04 PM
dishonesty of liberal/progressives in office and the media...without it their ideology is dead...

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 05:13 PM
In expanding on Sic Em's response: BUMPER STICKERS. They really grind my gears [/peter]

Basically, what you have is a nearly-impossible-to-remove token of an election that might be over in a matter of months, weeks, days, etc. that most people don't bother to remove years later. I see tons of W. stickers around, along with Obama 08 or Kerry 04 or other random stuff.

There was a particularly notorious liberal dem back in my rural Wisconsin area that simply DID NOT REMOVE BUMPER STICKERS EVER. There was the one with the faux Green Bay Packer helmet that talked about saving the Wolf River, the unsuccessful challengers to Gov. Tommy Thompson, Feingold, a local (REPUBLICAN!) named Bill Lorge whom was allegedly a family friend (bored the hell outta us high school students when he came to speak for an hour, argh), a LaFollette grandkid, that Doyle guy, etc. etc. etc.

That car was also constantly loaded with random sh!t so the outside matched the inside. It was truly a spectacle to behold.

So people: NO bumper stickers. You will regret it.

Let me guess...Subaru?

badger
9/15/2011, 07:50 AM
I think it actually was a Subaru, yes. How did you know?!

One more political complaint: Telephone push polls and state fair petitions.

Them: Are you a registered voter in the state of Oklahoma?

Me: Are YOU?

Them: Um.... no.

Me: Bye.

^^^ works every time.

bigfatjerk
9/15/2011, 08:06 AM
The republican and democrat parties saying they are opposites when they are pretty much the same. There's not a huge difference between dems and repubs anymore. Both basically the same party, want the same things in the end.