PDA

View Full Version : Fighting a Speeding Ticket

Sooner Tri
9/14/2011, 11:21 AM
Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Issued by OKC PD in a speed trap. Thanks!

achiro
9/14/2011, 11:22 AM
"Speed trap" LOL!

olevetonahill
9/14/2011, 11:28 AM
Speed trap = anywhere there are PoPo with a radar gun and a speed limit sign. + U speeding .

sooner_born_1960
9/14/2011, 11:31 AM
If you were in fact speeding, I don't really see the point in fighting it.

rekamrettuB
9/14/2011, 11:38 AM
Assuming you were in fact speeding, plead no contest, request a deferral of x months (6 probably), pay the fine and go on living. It stays off your driving record as long as another doesn't come along and it's like you never got one.

GottaHavePride
9/14/2011, 12:56 PM
Yep, whether you were or weren't speeding, it'll probably cost more to try to find a technicality to get out of it than just paying the damn ticket.

TUSooner
9/14/2011, 01:26 PM
Yep, whether you were or weren't speeding, it'll probably cost more to try to find a technicality to get out of it than just paying the damn ticket.

And there aren't a whole ton of "technicalities involved" with a speeding ticket....

badger
9/14/2011, 01:30 PM
When I got my speeding ticket back in Norman, a colleague said that the biggest way to contest it is if the PD dude was trailing you or if he caught your speed on radar.

If he was simply following you and tracked your speed that way, you have a case.

If he caught you on radar, YOU. ARE. SCREWED.

As someone else suggested, as for deferred, pay your fine and get it off your record in a few months.

Sooner Tri
9/14/2011, 01:37 PM
Assuming you were in fact speeding, plead no contest, request a deferral of x months (6 probably), pay the fine and go on living. It stays off your driving record as long as another doesn't come along and it's like you never got one.

Thanks for the constructive advice. It was actually my son who got the ticket. And let me elaborate on defining this as a 'speed trap'. The speed limit on N. MacArthur is 40 mph both North & South of NW Expressway, EXCEPT for a 1/4 mile stretch just North of NW Expressway, where it inexplicably drops to 30 before going back to 40 (most people who never noticed the signs have no idea).

When an officer is parked behind a bush, with a radar gun pointing AT the 30 mph sign, ticketing people whose speed hadn't dropped from 40 all the way down to 30 before they passed the sign, to me that falls under the classic definition of a 'speed trap'!

Without debating his guilt or innocence under the circumstances (ticket was going 35 in a 30), he wants to keep it off his record, and for the general principle. And he knows this won't be reported to insurance.

OUDoc
9/14/2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the constructive advice. It was actually my son who got the ticket. And let me elaborate on defining this as a 'speed trap'. The speed limit on N. MacArthur is 40 mph both North & South of NW Expressway, EXCEPT for a 1/4 mile stretch just North of NW Expressway, where it inexplicably drops to 30 before going back to 40 (most people who never noticed the signs have no idea).

When an officer is parked behind a bush, with a radar gun pointing AT the 30 mph sign, ticketing people whose speed hadn't dropped from 40 all the way down to 30 before they passed the sign, to me that falls under the classic definition of a 'speed trap'!

Without debating his guilt or innocence under the circumstances (ticket was going 35 in a 30), he wants to keep it off his record, and for the general principle. And he knows this won't be reported to insurance.
Although that area in front of the apartments is BS, I doubt there's anything you can do. My daughter got pulled over there once. I'm surprised they haven't caught me there. No one goes 30mph through there.

yermom
9/14/2011, 01:46 PM
i'm no lawyer, but a ticket for going 5 over on your record is probably about the same as jaywalking

might as well call it a tax and forget about it

Sooner Tri
9/14/2011, 01:48 PM
Will it be dismissed without cost if the ticketing officer doesn't show up?

Pricetag
9/14/2011, 01:51 PM
I did some community service to keep a ticket off my record in my teen years.

olevetonahill
9/14/2011, 01:51 PM
Unless its 10 or more over it wont go on your record.

badger
9/14/2011, 02:40 PM
Advice: Exercise your freedom of speech and make the biggest, most middle-finger flipping sign you can in front of that shrubbery.

http://dawgfarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/greed-cameras.jpg

^^^ that might be your most clever option. :)

There was a small town south of Tulsa here in Oklahoma that apparently had recently installed its own police force with jurisdiction to do one thing: Issue speeding tickets to create revenue for the town. Well, it was 100 percent illegal, but most people just paid the tickets rather than find out they were getting screwed.

But seriously now, if that's public property and you're not gonna get charged with vandalism, have your speeding ticket money's worth of fun out of it and get some warning signs or 50 up.

OutlandTrophy
9/15/2011, 08:27 AM
or throw a couple handfulls of roofing nails behind the bush where they park.