PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa tied with Baylor for #75 college in US

Okla-homey
9/13/2011, 03:57 PM
But if were college bound, I'd go with Tulsa over Baylor. Better looking students, and its not in texass.

TU jumps to 75th in U.S. News and World Report rankings

By SARA PLUMMER World Staff Writer

The University of Tulsa tied for 75th in U.S. News and World Report's annual ranking of colleges and universities released Tuesday.

The ranking was the highest the private school has received from the publication. TU ranked 93rd last year and has made the top 100 for nine consecutive years. It's also the only university in Oklahoma to make the national top-100 ranking.

TU tied with Baylor University, Colorado School of Mines, Indiana University-Bloomington, University of Alabama, University of California-Santa Cruz and the University of Delaware.

Harvard University and Princeton University tied for first in the ranking, with Yale University in third.

TU President Steadman Upham said in a news release that the jump from 93rd to 75th was a result of an increased academic quality in the student body, faculty recruitment, the revitalization and expansion of the campus, and a comprehensive campaign that raised more than $698 million.

"This achievement is the result of more than a decade of strategic planning and focused effort aimed at advancing the university along all fronts," Upham said.

U.S. News and World Report based the rankings on several factors, including percentage of freshmen who were in the top 10 percent of their graduating high school classes, freshmen retention rate, graduation rate, ACT scores, admission selectivity, peer assessment, student-teacher ratios, percentage of full-time faculty and alumni giving.

Elsewhere, John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Ark., was ranked as the top regional college in the south region in the U.S. News' ranking.

Chip Pollard, John Brown's president, said the No. 1 ranking represents a deep commitment by the faculty and staff to have an excellent Christian university.

"There are many great colleges in the south, and we are honored to lead our peers in the rankings this year," Pollard said.

cleller
9/13/2011, 07:40 PM
"Elsewhere, John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Ark., was ranked as the top regional college in the south region in the U.S. News' ranking."

Every time I pass thru Siloam Springs I think of how it reminds me of an Ivy League college town.

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2011, 07:45 PM
Baylor has held steady at about 75 for a long time now. The biggest problem we have with our rankings is the lack of research. Baylor, traditionally, is a teaching university and not a research school. That is steadily changing as Baylor increasingly moves into research. The new science facility was the first major step, and they're building some sort of giant research facility on the other side of the river.

Personally, I care less about ranking and more about tradition. I'd rather Baylor remain a teaching university with small classes that are taught by full-fledged PhD's and not some grad-student lackey.

But...alas...they didn't ask for my opinion. Time moves on, the seasons change, and Baylor is destroying the things that make it Baylor. Typical Baptists.

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2011, 07:47 PM
"Elsewhere, John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Ark., was ranked as the top regional college in the south region in the U.S. News' ranking."

Every time I pass thru Siloam Springs I think of how it reminds me of an Ivy League college town.

Eh...I've been to New Haven and Boston. Siloam Springs is neither. In New Haven's case, that's a very good thing.

AlboSooner
9/13/2011, 08:30 PM
what is an US news and world report?

RacerX
9/13/2011, 09:14 PM
It's a magazine that really old people read.

SoonerStud615
9/13/2011, 09:41 PM

Boo yah! That's my school right there. Siloam may be nothing to brag about, but the school really is excellent!

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2011, 01:43 AM

Boo yah! That's my school right there. Siloam may be nothing to brag about, but the school really is excellent!
fify

AlbqSooner
9/14/2011, 06:46 AM
But if were college bound, I'd go with Tulsa over Baylor. Better looking students, and its not in texass.

Also, Tulsa not affiliated with the Baptist Church.

Tulsa>>Waco