PDA

View Full Version : OU WANTS OUT - BIG 12 IS DONE

TexSooner000
9/13/2011, 12:59 PM
According to CBS.

http://eye-on-college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31952360

3rdgensooner
9/13/2011, 01:04 PM
Texas to ACC? That laugh just made my day.

sooneredaco
9/13/2011, 01:05 PM
Let's take the 'ole dog out back and put it out of it's misery!

OULenexaman
9/13/2011, 01:07 PM
just another blog.....wake me when it happens...

CrimsonCommando
9/13/2011, 01:10 PM
Why can't Texas go to the SEC and continue to shat on TAMU? That would be priceless.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2011, 01:18 PM
Why can't Texas go to the SEC and continue to shat on TAMU? That would be priceless.

Because the SEC would require them to share revenue with the likes of Vandy (and everyone else). Seems the horns have hitched their wagon to the LHN and will not look back.

Sooner5030
9/13/2011, 01:25 PM
meh.....not near a deal per espn.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=6965871&localId=dal&wjb

blogs/BBS and tweets have provided us speed at the expense of accuracy. None of these a'hats really know....probably....or maybe not.

we also have an echo problem with some of these stories.

silverwheels
9/13/2011, 01:30 PM

Sooner5030
9/13/2011, 01:34 PM

you know what I mean. 1 writer injects some speculation in a story around 0800, someone tweets it around 0900, another blogger states the same and refers to "multiple" reports. The speculation is later refuted by another writer around 1300. Someone else doesn't read the rebuttal and corroborates the earlier speculation. Fans start to believe that things are going back and forth when in reality nothing has changed.....it was all made up anyway.

silverwheels
9/13/2011, 01:36 PM
I know what you mean. You said the word "echo" so I felt the need to repeat the phrase that contained it. Sorry for being a smartass.

winout
9/13/2011, 01:55 PM
More commentary from SI:

"So Oklahoma -- already the focus of the college football world as its top-ranked team prepares to face Florida State in Tallahassee on Saturday -- is for the moment the most powerful entity in college athletics. The Sooners will stay, or the Sooners will go. The other dominoes will fall where they will.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/09/12/staples.conference.realignment/index.html#ixzz1XrE9odn5

Wishboned
9/13/2011, 02:11 PM
Well we're packin' up our game and gonna head out west...

SoonerMom2
9/13/2011, 02:25 PM

That seems to be the theme of all the articles. Love the leak out of UT President's office that Boren is not interesting in saving the PAC 12 -- what is there to save with A&M headed east? The Big 12 is not big enough for the LHN and OU.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 02:40 PM
This is simply a misdirection ploy by whorn to shift blame for the destruction of the conference.

True or not, the move places all the focus on OU regarding the future of NCAAFB.

Actually, who better?

KantoSooner
9/13/2011, 02:54 PM
"So Oklahoma -- already the focus of the college football world as its top-ranked team prepares to face Florida State in Tallahassee on Saturday -- is for the moment the most powerful entity in college athletics. The Sooners will stay, or the Sooners will go. The other dominoes will fall where they will.

I for one find nothing at all out of place in this situation. We promise to be benevolent dictators.

En_Fuego
9/13/2011, 03:32 PM

iPOQE_LUESs

ashley
9/13/2011, 03:44 PM
I think this stuff may be a real possibility. UT to the ACC makes more sense the more you look at it. Good BB, good academics for most, and ESPN has the rights to the ACC and they could maybe keep the LHN.
I think they would like to also first save the Big 12 but our people will have none of it.

NormanPride
9/13/2011, 03:47 PM
Have fun with Miami fans, Texas.

DarrellZero
9/13/2011, 03:55 PM

I'll believe this 'Texas to the ACC' stuff when I see it.

Why would they do that? If they want to belong to a crummy conference, just stay in what's left of the Big XII.

CBUS_SOONER
9/13/2011, 03:59 PM
What is going on? Whats wrong with the big 12? Can someone catch me up real quick...thnks

OUNASH
9/13/2011, 04:06 PM
This is simply a misdirection ploy by whorn to shift blame for the destruction of the conference.

True or not, the move places all the focus on OU regarding the future of NCAAFB.

Actually, who better?
If you think back to about 1982 when Oklahoma and Georgia sued this NCAA over Television rights they chnaged the landscape of College Football.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 04:08 PM
What is going on? Whats wrong with the big 12? Can someone catch me up real quick...thnks

Do you want the long or the short version? Keep in mind that the long version is in aramaic. :)

Sooner Among The Pack
9/13/2011, 04:10 PM
I don't see OU making the first move. A&M will have to get through the legal snafu with the SEC first, and I think that's going to take awhile.

sooneredaco
9/13/2011, 04:18 PM

Well the commissioner for the Big 12-2-1 soon to be -1 more is getting t-bagged by Deloss. That's about it, you know...

prrriiide
9/13/2011, 04:47 PM
Here's the BIG suck...as-is, you can watch OU aty least 6-8 times a year here in Knoxville (and elsewhere east of the Mississippi). Moving to the PAC will kill that. I rarely see PAC12 games here. This is extremely fertile recruiting territory. Pooh-pooh that all you want saying so is Cali, but also keep in mind that there are a huge number of donors out this-a-way that are going to lose their ability to watch games. Home games are difficult to get to, and away games - no way.

Seriously...I didn't think I could hate the whorns more than I did, but I do. When I see someone in burnt orange, I have to resist the urge to stick my middle finger right up in their face.

KantoSooner
9/13/2011, 04:58 PM
Seriously...I didn't think I could hate the whorns more than I did, but I do. When I see someone in burnt orange, I have to resist the urge to stick my middle finger right up in their face.

Psychiatrists have long known beyond any reasonable doubt that conflicts, once internalized, are the root cause of virtually all psychiatric maladies and many physical ones as well.
For the sake of your emotional well-being, I suggest you get up, every time you see someone dressed in orange, roll your shoulder and loosen your neck and go over and flip him the bird about six inches from his face.
You'll feel better.

pac10SUX
9/13/2011, 05:01 PM

Perfect Match

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 05:08 PM
Psychiatrists have long known beyond any reasonable doubt that conflicts, once internalized, are the root cause of virtually all psychiatric maladies and many physical ones as well.
For the sake of your emotional well-being, I suggest you get up, every time you see someone dressed in orange, roll your shoulder and loosen your neck and go over and flip him the bird about six inches from his face.
You'll feel better.

And be sure to get video of it. I'd watch that all day long. :)

SoonerinSouthlake
9/13/2011, 05:16 PM
Texas to ACC? That laugh just made my day.

Have you considered Texas getting to play and recruit in Florida?

AlboSooner
9/13/2011, 05:37 PM
Thank God we have Boren, JC and Stoops in charge in these times.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 05:40 PM
Have you considered Texas getting to play and recruit in Florida?

Big cultural clash. On paper, sounds good. But there's a reason these athletes from the Deep South never leave the SEC, for both black and white players. Cowboys and cactus might as well be a foreign country to them.

SoonerMom2
9/13/2011, 05:43 PM
Palm Beach Post is reporting that FSU has formed an exploratory committee for its options. I put the link on the realignment thread but I will repost it here as well:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/seminoles/fsu-preparing-for-realignment-possibilities-such-as-moving-1855047.html

In the middle of the article they talk about the ACC has contacted TX.

marfacowboy
9/13/2011, 05:45 PM
I'd rather see OU in the SEC, but the PAC-10 has some advantages. I'd just get to see more games if they were playing in the SEC....I guess I won't be getting anything done this week, either.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/13/2011, 05:47 PM
Big cultural clash. On paper, sounds good. But there's a reason these athletes from the Deep South never leave the SEC, for both black and white players. Cowboys and cactus might as well be a foreign country to them.

makes sense (except for the fact that Florida State is in the ACC, not SEC)

until Texas plays down there every other year. Wont take long for them to get familiar enough to start winning som of those recruiting battles..much like we are hoping to do in California

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 06:01 PM

until Texas plays down there every other year. Wont take long for them to get familiar enough to start winning som of those recruiting battles..much like we are hoping to do in California

Conference is irrelevant, my point remains the same. (I used to teach at FSU, I'm familiar with the conference) I was highlighting why the SEC gets most of those blue-chippers.

Whorn will struggle to pull a big-time recruit out of the south.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 06:04 PM
Didn't Mack coach out at UNC back in the 1990s? It's his old stomping grounds, unfortunately.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 06:07 PM
Didn't Mack coach out at UNC back in the 1990s? It's his old stomping grounds, unfortunately.

Yes, but he also coached here as well.

You raise a good point however...if whorn goes ACC, it would be almost logical for MB to take the UNC AD job then and have support in the conference from their new member. And I mean member in a physiological way.

bluedogok
9/13/2011, 06:14 PM
Here's the BIG suck...as-is, you can watch OU aty least 6-8 times a year here in Knoxville (and elsewhere east of the Mississippi). Moving to the PAC will kill that. I rarely see PAC12 games here. This is extremely fertile recruiting territory. Pooh-pooh that all you want saying so is Cali, but also keep in mind that there are a huge number of donors out this-a-way that are going to lose their ability to watch games. Home games are difficult to get to, and away games - no way.

You can pretty much watch every OU game that is on TV anywhere in the US if you really want to. Yes, it may require spending some more money and maybe changing cable/sat providers or picking up a Sports Pack or ESPN Gameplan subscription, but the options are out there for a displaced fan. Those were not options twenty years ago when I lived in Dallas and an OU game was a "regional Big 8 telecast" opposite a SWC game.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 06:16 PM
You can pretty much watch every OU game that is on TV anywhere in the US if you really want to. Yes, it may require spending some more money and maybe changing cable/sat providers or picking up a Sports Pack or ESPN Gameplan subscription, but the options are out there for a displaced fan.

My brother watches every game but PPV from his home in Taipei. It gets easier every year.

Frozen Sooner
9/13/2011, 06:24 PM

Odd. I don't know that I've missed a single OU game here in Tuscaloosa, and I'd think Knoxville has better cable options than Tuscaloosa.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 06:34 PM
You raise a good point however...if whorn goes ACC, it would be almost logical for MB to take the UNC AD job then and have support in the conference from their new member. And I mean member in a physiological way.

Thanks.

But, I was thinking he might still have some recruiting connections out there that ut could take advantage of.

VA Sooner
9/13/2011, 06:42 PM
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop... it will happen. Just a matter of time. I fear that it will be even harder to get OU games on TV here on the east coast.

AlboSooner
9/13/2011, 08:37 PM
I do not foresee anything drastic in TV scheduling. The state itself is not moving west. Conference alignment is in the abstract. Geography is in the concrete. An OU vs. ASU game may have the same interest as an Ou vs Tech game, in the east coast, but an OU vs USC would have great interest across the country.

I know we don't like change, but we will be fine folks.

Herr Scholz
9/13/2011, 09:32 PM
So you people really want to get away from Texas that bad?

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 09:36 PM

First one in teh sinking conference lifeboat is a better reason.

prrriiide
9/13/2011, 09:54 PM

texass' arrogance has been a festering boil on the arse of the BigXII for years. Now, with the advent of the LHN and Aggie's imminent departure, and all of the realignment publicity, the rest of the nation sees texass as we do - pompous, arrogant, greedy bastards that have no interest other than money, and who you can screw to get it.

Did you honestly think the rest of the conference was going to spread their butt cheeks for you while you launched a recruiting machine disguised as a TV network? HA! That only highlights the delusion and blind arrogance that defines Longwhorns and Longwhorn football.

My friends and co-workers - SEC fans, all - have started saying things like "I didn't understand why you hated texass so much. Now I do." and "Why would anyone want to be in a conference with a bunch of overbearing a$$holes like that?"

texass has been waving their privates in the conference's face long enough, now it's time to take your di¢k-punch.

delhalew
9/13/2011, 10:30 PM

Someday you will have to learn to stop ****ting were you eat.

sooner518
9/13/2011, 10:30 PM
The writing is on the wall. When aggie leaves ,there will be no quality replacement. SMU, Houston, BYU, etc.... Do not count. Having a 9 team conference will kill or bargainging power with tv networks and worst of all, might lead to the big 12 losing their AQ status. Not that that means a whole lot to UT since they rarely make it to a BCS game, but it's kind of a big deal. The big 12 can never regain the strength it once had and adding anyone, other than notre dame (not happening in a million years) is just a pathetic attempt by beebe to save his job and UT to save their retarded tv network that has no programming and that no one can see.

sooneron
9/13/2011, 10:31 PM
texass' arrogance has been a festering boil on the arse of the BigXII for years. Now, with the advent of the LHN and Aggie's imminent departure, and all of the realignment publicity, the rest of the nation sees texass as we do - pompous, arrogant, greedy bastards that have no interest other than money, and who you can screw to get it.

Did you honestly think the rest of the conference was going to spread their butt cheeks for you while you launched a recruiting machine disguised as a TV network? HA! That only highlights the delusion and blind arrogance that defines Longwhorns and Longwhorn football.

My friends and co-workers - SEC fans, all - have started saying things like "I didn't understand why you hated texass so much. Now I do." and "Why would anyone want to be in a conference with a bunch of overbearing a$$holes like that?"

texass has been waving their privates in the conference's face long enough, now it's time to take your di¢k-punch.

This seems to be a pretty good reply. Yep. I like it.

kevpks
9/13/2011, 10:33 PM

This conference is not stable. OU can obviously handle Texas. The Horns have always been able to print money but the Sooners still own this conference. Bob Stoops can eat his Wheaties out of a different conference championship trophy every day of the week.

delhalew
9/13/2011, 10:36 PM
This conference is not stable. OU can obviously handle Texas. The Horns have always been able to print money but the Sooners still own this conference. Bob Stoops can eat his Wheaties out of a different conference championship trophy every day of the week.

lol. I would do that. The Wheaties thing.

zandozan
9/14/2011, 12:56 AM

Doesn't everybody? I mean, Texas has managed to alienate just about everyone who they could have called 'friends'. The fact that they had to come to Norman to talk to OU shows you where that relationship has gone. I think both sides want to keep the RRR but I don't think the OU admin has any desire to be associated with Texas in a conference.

One thing you Texas fans should start asking. Is having ESPN as an overlord really worth the money and loss of all your traditional rivalries? Was it worth destroying relationships with other universities that are decades old? Is it worth destroying a conference and the other rivalries between schools such as Kansas and Missouri? Apparently the Texas admin is saying YES. Which is why OU is saying NO to Texas.

SoonerBD
9/14/2011, 01:10 AM
To me texas is just like Terrel Owens. People may have been excited to add him to their team at first and thought of all the possibilities that he could bring, but after awhile he starts making demands, wanting all the attention, and wanting special treatment. Soon enough no one can even stomach his shenanigans anymore and just wants the bastard to disappear. Look where his shenanigans have landed him, no one wants to take the risk of adding him to their team. I hope this happens to texas.

Sooner in Tampa
9/14/2011, 05:36 AM

Yes...we want to get away from the most pompous overbearing idiots on the face of the planet

SoonerPride
9/14/2011, 06:43 AM

Once again some jerk in orange thinks this is all about them.

OU wants to be in a stable conference.

As the * crew that flew to Norman this weekend and got on their knees with 10 gallon hat in hand to beg Boren found out, it ain't about texass.

Y'all can come with us or stay in a sinking ship. That's your choice.

But OU is making this decision because once again texass has put their oversized cowboy boot through the bottom of the boat but are too stupid to realize the water that's up around their neck ain't rain.

zeptrey
9/14/2011, 09:11 AM
Nothing to do with TEXASS...we just want more money, stable conference, and access to the Grant Money that the Stanford, CAL, UCLA's of the world get year in and year out. Nothing to do with TEXASS...I repeat nothing to do with TEXASS... As a matter of fact, we are encouraging you fools to hitch up the wagon and go west with us...that gives all of us more cash!

badger
9/14/2011, 09:22 AM
Does anyone just have an inkling that President Boren, a master of politics, is just playing everyone from the media to the message boards really, really well?

He's just putting on his "Senator Boren" act when dealing with the conferences and the schools, and his "Governor Boren" act when he's assuring the legislature and OSU cronies that he's talking about the good of the state?

Play that fiddle, President Boren. It makes Texas burn more :D

IndySooner
9/14/2011, 09:26 AM
Does anyone just have an inkling that President Boren, a master of politics, is just playing everyone from the media to the message boards really, really well?

He's just putting on his "Senator Boren" act when dealing with the conferences and the schools, and his "Governor Boren" act when he's assuring the legislature and OSU cronies that he's talking about the good of the state?

I'm about 99.9% sure you're right.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 09:27 AM

Baj speaks truth.

We have no idea what the President will do. I've always believed he leans towards keeping the conference together and may still, however, I haven't a clue. I just know whatever they decide, I'm on board.

ouflak
9/14/2011, 09:30 AM
I do hope though that any PAC deal collapses. I don't mind if UT comes with us or stays because:

1.) They will almost certainly have to agree whatever revenue system that conference has in place (more money for everybody) and

2.) If they stay, we will still have RRS, so I genuinely wish them the best of luck with their network and whatever affiliation they end up with.

Nothing against Texas. It's just all about the Benjamins now. And stability ofcourse.

Breadburner
9/14/2011, 09:35 AM
Texas=Conferance Cancer......

SoonerinSouthlake
9/14/2011, 12:05 PM

I dont. I think we benefit by going somewhere together.
I just want them to pull their head out of their butt and realize what that they cant have everything they want and expect people to want to be business partners with them.

When it was just Nebraska, the could find a way to blame Nebraska
Then Aggie, they can say "little brother is tired of living in our shadow"
When its Nebraska, Aggie and OU perhaps its time the start realizing they are the problem.

trey
9/14/2011, 12:11 PM
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop... it will happen. Just a matter of time. I fear that it will be even harder to get OU games on TV here on the east coast.

Why is that? You get every game on TV now, don't you? What would be the difference if OU is in a different conference. I live on the west coast and I think the only game that wasn't on TV in past 10 years was the 2002 baylor game. (on TV includes ppv and espn gameplan)

silverwheels
9/14/2011, 12:11 PM

No, I want Texas to come with OU to the Pac-12 so they can see how a stable conference looks when one member doesn't try to be bigger than everyone else off the field. And so Texas can watch OU dominate that conference on the field.

OrlandoSooner
9/14/2011, 12:36 PM
No, I want Texas to come with OU to the Pac-12 so they can see how a stable conference looks when one member doesn't try to be bigger than everyone else off the field. And so Texas can watch OU dominate that conference on the field.

Again

DenverSooner751
9/14/2011, 01:27 PM
I'm with a lot of others here in saying that this isn't about Texass and us leaving them. This is about OU wanting to be in a stable conference.....that being said, there would be many mutually fair benefits to OU and UT going at it together.

As long as the LHN is the decidng factor then yes, see ya later. Whenever UT commits itself to being part of a conference and not trying to only look out for the LHN then the time to discuss everything else will be here. Until that time though, eat $h!t Texass.

SoonerNutt
9/14/2011, 01:38 PM

* can already recruit well in any state they want to, but they have that whole *we are texas* mentality, and still recruit 95% of their players from Texas. If they just knew how to choose the right guys to recruit, they'd be unbeatable. Chances are, wherever they recruit from, they will get a good percentage of the guys they want. So I don't really see any harm in them playing in FL or anywhere else. Really just gives them an opportunity to take their eye off the ball (i.e. protecting the in-state borders)

JiminyChristmas
9/14/2011, 01:43 PM
Getting out of a conference with * will not change the recruiting advantage that the LHN provides. Bottom line is that we should be trying to blow up the LHN. To do that, we need to convince * to come to the PAC with us. Remember the Godfather "keep your friends close but your enemies closer".

SoonerNutt
9/14/2011, 01:45 PM
I dont. I think we benefit by going somewhere together.
I just want them to pull their head out of their butt and realize what that they cant have everything they want and expect people to want to be business partners with them.

When it was just Nebraska, the could find a way to blame Nebraska
Then Aggie, they can say "little brother is tired of living in our shadow"
When its Nebraska, Aggie and OU perhaps its time the start realizing they are the problem.

You really think UT would ever come around to that conclusion. Have you ever been to Texas? If the other 49 states came together and kicked texas out of the union, you can bet the the majority of texicans would say "we didn't need 'em anyway".

OrlandoSooner
9/14/2011, 01:49 PM
Getting out of a conference with * will not change the recruiting advantage that the LHN provides. Bottom line is that we should be trying to blow up the LHN. To do that, we need to convince * to come to the PAC with us. Remember "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

Not a bad idea. However, today they are almost always able to pick their recruits. Very few wins on head to head recruits from the state of Texas. Even with the LHN, Texas can still only take 25 recruits. They have proven that they are capable of going 5-7 with the best recruits. I don't think the LHN = more FB wins. I think that the LHN = more $$ and fewer friends and fractured conferences.

I get that the LHN gives them a recruiting advantage, but IMO it is only increases their advantage a little bit.

JiminyChristmas
9/14/2011, 01:53 PM
I agree that the LHN is not a huge recruiting advantage, but you just never know what might make the difference on that one kid that OU is going head to head with * on.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/14/2011, 04:55 PM
You really think UT would ever come around to that conclusion. Have you ever been to Texas? If the other 49 states came together and kicked texas out of the union, you can bet the the majority of texicans would say "we didn't need 'em anyway". live in Texas bro...all my life with exception of 4 years at OU.

State of Texas and University of Whorn are 2 entirely different subjects

Yes I do believe that at some point, when everyone has left their party, they could look in the mirror and realize nobody wants to be partners with them.

Right now they are holding on to the LHN out of complete stubbornness...but when they dont have any major teams who want to be in a conference with them, they have to realize the alternative if negative

SoonerinSouthlake
9/14/2011, 05:04 PM
I get that the LHN gives them a recruiting advantage, but IMO it is only increases their advantage a little bit.

long haul I think there are more advantages that arent as obvious. For instance, as someone on another thread pointed out...why would the premier college football show in America do a preseason show at a 5-7 school....reason..their network has committed big $

why would the premier college football show do a 5 minute feature on a 5-7 on opening weekend....reason..their network has committed big $

would espn talk radio affiliates AROUND THE COUNTRY ask that question....nope...why?? reason..their network has committed big $

these may not be GREAT examples, so dont focus on just these...but rather the point...you have a major network that has committed major dollars to partnership with a university. Like it or not, its iin tha ESPN's best interest to show whorn in a way that would get the best players to go there. It will be subtle...ESPN WILL HELP WHORN RECRUIT.

SoonerMarkVA
9/14/2011, 06:38 PM

Hear, hear! Exactly right. ut has a chance at redemption, and still they can't see the opportunity. The best scenario for both OU and ut is for us and our li'l bros (although I'd still rather take KU and MU) to make the P-16, turn that LHN abomination into a regional show (be it just ut/TT, or include OU and OSU, too), and everyone benefits from the strength of that arrangement. Other than Utah, the Eastern region would be plenty strong, and throw in USC, UO, and slightly lessor Cal and Stanford in the Western, and that's a really nice league.

ut has no vision past its greed and quest for unilateral power.

soonervegas
9/14/2011, 06:59 PM
I do not want to go Pac 12 with just OSU.... that could be a disaster. Texas and Tech first option, Mizzou and KU 2nd option.

And this whole talk about possibly not playing UT is nonsense.

hornswaggled
9/14/2011, 08:02 PM
Getting out of a conference with * will not change the recruiting advantage that the LHN provides. Bottom line is that we should be trying to blow up the LHN. To do that, we need to convince * to come to the PAC with us. Remember the Godfather "keep your friends close but your enemies closer".

What other major college has its own tv network? Since the Domers started their contract with NBC in 1991 they have recruited nationwide and have won four 10 game or more seasons. Two were under Holtz, one under Willingham, and one with Weiss. Since Bob Stoops came to Oklahoma our Sooners have won nine 10 game or better seasons.

Obviously, coaching > recruiting.

--
hornswaggled
I'm trying to pad my post count while I look for a cool avatar and sig.

ouflak
9/15/2011, 02:12 AM
I can't honestly say I'm all too concerned about the LHN. Heck, I kinda hope the thing is a success in a way that allows other schools with marketable brands (say for example... OU) to do the same thing and be in a conference. I like the idea that some of these other sports can get on TV regionally atleast. I just don't think you can really pull something like it off on a national level, and ESPN has invested national level money. It just requires too much of a built-in fanbase spread all over the place. The idea of building that fanbase using a TV network is somewhat naive. Just because someone's cable/satellite bill has gone up, doesn't mean that same someone is going to flip through their guide to find out why, and then tune into the LHN to watch a Texas vs Rice baseball/volleyball/soccer game. The internet can pull off such growth while laying its foundation at a later stage, but TV networks seem to still work on their classical dynamic. We'll see. But I'm not too worried about the LHN. You win games, bowls, and championships, you get the recruits, you get the money.

I think ESPN may be banking on pulling this off like they pulled off ESPNU. But ESPNU is generic in its appeal to anybody who has an interest in college sports (a lot of sports for a lot of people). There are far too large a percentage of that group who will be completely apathetic to a UT specifically branded network, and a small significant percentage will block the channel and/or complain to their provider just because it's Texas. These are big problems to overcome and I don't see how they can do it.

Maranatha
9/15/2011, 06:54 PM
LHN just got its first subscriber......Darrell Royal.

Texas Golfer
9/16/2011, 03:19 AM
I would just like it to be all over, one way or another.

TJKDone
9/16/2011, 06:19 AM
If being with OU in a conference means no LHN, there is no chance UT will be with OU in the same conference. Bob doesn't think OU needs to play Texas. Pretty good chance you guys will get to start fresh and have new rivals.

Hook'em

zandozan
9/16/2011, 06:37 AM
If being with OU in a conference means no LHN, there is no chance UT will be with OU in the same conference. Bob doesn't think OU needs to play Texas. Pretty good chance you guys will get to start fresh and have new rivals.

Hook'em

Who said we have to be in the same conference to play Texas? Seemed to work pretty good before the Big 12.

I find it very hard to believe that Texas fans are willing to leave behind every relationship they have for the sake of that damn network. You have a choice, keep the LHN and go to the ACC with no regional rivalries and a conference that most big recruits will be 'meh' about...or fold the LHN into the Pac 12's network and keep your regional rivalries and create a conference that most big recruits would be excited about. Putting your ego's aside, it seems like a no brainer to me. We know the Texas admin seems hell bent on keeping the LHN, what do the majority of Texas fans want?

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 07:50 AM
If anybody is uncertain as to how the LHN would dramatically affect recruiting, all they had to do was watch the LSU/MSU game last night. The SEC on ESPN was pretty much unwatchable with their constant hyperbole about how amazing the SEC is...

"...an SEC environment."
"...a typical SEC Thursday night!" wtf?
"...an SEC tackle."
"...in the SEC, you play 4 quarters."
"...in the SEC you play NFL defenses."
"...LSU looks like they are struggling, but this is the SEC West, the best in football."

Now replace those SECs above with whorn.

Exactly.

TJKDone
9/16/2011, 08:56 AM
Who said we have to be in the same conference to play Texas? Seemed to work pretty good before the Big 12.

I find it very hard to believe that Texas fans are willing to leave behind every relationship they have for the sake of that damn network. You have a choice, keep the LHN and go to the ACC with no regional rivalries and a conference that most big recruits will be 'meh' about...

That is where there is a significant disagreement. As I understand it, the LHN won't come off the table under any circumstance.

I definitely hope the rivalry can continue, but it does look tenuous at best right now.

Hook 'em

the-rover
9/16/2011, 09:13 AM
If anybody is uncertain as to how the LHN would dramatically affect recruiting, all they had to do was watch the LSU/MSU game last night. The SEC on ESPN was pretty much unwatchable with their constant hyperbole about how amazing the SEC is...

"...an SEC environment."
"...a typical SEC Thursday night!" wtf?
"...an SEC tackle."
"...in the SEC, you play 4 quarters."
"...in the SEC you play NFL defenses."
"...LSU looks like they are struggling, but this is the SEC West, the best in football."

Now replace those SECs above with whorn.

Exactly.

yep, pretty much disgusting

OUDoc
9/16/2011, 09:32 AM
That is where there is a significant disagreement. As I understand it, the LHN won't come off the table under any circumstance.

I definitely hope the rivalry can continue, but it does look tenuous at best right now.

Hook 'em
Enjoy independent status.

diegosooner
9/16/2011, 09:32 AM

Actually, it was an even better rivalry before we were in the same conference. Yes, let's continue playing them as an annual non-conference game.

TJKDone
9/16/2011, 10:09 AM
Enjoy independent status.

I also understand that is not an option.

Would love to continue the rivalry non conference...

Hookem

General Applewhite
9/16/2011, 10:13 AM
I find it very hard to believe that Texas fans are willing to leave behind every relationship they have for the sake of that damn network.

The fans don't make the call. This is all about $ for the decision makers at Texas and that means LHN.

I doubt Texas will play OU or A&M again in the regular season in my lifetime. Change is coming and we just have to accept it.

OUDoc
9/16/2011, 10:20 AM
I also understand that is not an option.

Would love to continue the rivalry non conference...

Hookem
IF no conference will allow LHN and texas isn't willing to negotiate on it, that's your only option. Or you can stay with the Big 7, I guess.

TJKDone
9/16/2011, 10:33 AM
IF no conference will allow LHN and texas isn't willing to negotiate on it, that's your only option. Or you can stay with the Big 7, I guess.

As I understand it there is more than one option outside the Big 12 fragment and Indy...

We'll see, but I would put my money on US having both a BCS conference affiliation and the LHN.

Hookem

saucysoonergal
9/16/2011, 10:38 AM
As I understand it there is more than one option outside the Big 12 fragment and Indy...

We'll see, but I would put my money on US having both a BCS conference affiliation and the LHN.

Hookem

Well, good luck with that. Enjoy the ACC -FSU ;)!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
9/16/2011, 10:39 AM

Hook 'em

I don't know why any Sooner or Horn would want the RRS to go away. We've already lost our rivalry with Nebraska and you guys are about to lose your rivalry with aTm. The RRS is one of those games that makes CFB great.

As far as being in the same conference with *, I personally wouldn't mind getting away from the arrogance and greed of orange bovine and all the drama that engenders.

TJKDone
9/16/2011, 10:56 AM
Well, good luck with that. Enjoy the ACC -FSU ;)!!!

Hey the rich usually figure out a way to get richer even when sacred things get trampled in the process...

Hey at least we'll be able to say our conference trumps you in BB...LOL

Hookem

ouflak
9/16/2011, 01:12 PM
Money is the root of all evil type stuff.

I'm getting the impression from your posts that you're not a big fan of the LHN or the coming changes in college football in general.

Seamus
9/16/2011, 01:27 PM

Hookem

I get that you're a fan, and I respect and appreciate that.

But you used the phrase "hookem" here, and that I cannot abide.

Go **** yourself, and tap your mother while you're at it.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:31 PM
Texas arrogance? TLN? C'mon. Both A&M and OU voted for all of this:

voted against a Big XII network (OU is pursuing their own channel)
voted for unequal revenue sharing
voted for schools to keep their 3rd tier rights

You guys would've taken $300M for 3rd tier rights in a heartbeat had ESPN offered it to you. To say otherwise is just being disingenuous. But OK, Texas always has to be the bad guy. We get it.

silverwheels
9/16/2011, 01:34 PM
That's because Texas IS the bad guy.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/16/2011, 01:41 PM

You guys would've taken $300M for 3rd tier rights in a heartbeat had ESPN offered it to you. To say otherwise is just being disingenuous. But OK, Texas always has to be the bad guy. We get it.

Texas voted for the 3 way tie rules preceding the 2008 season.

Suqadiq

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:43 PM
I blame Bill Byrne at A&M who's trying to save face now after being too short sighted to form a joint network with us when offered. I still hope they go to the SEC to become even more irrelevant and we can add some teams to the Big XII to keep it viable. I hope OU stays. TLN won't hurt you guys in the least.

SoonerPride
9/16/2011, 01:44 PM

boom goes the dynamite

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:45 PM

Suqadiq
Granted and then those rules were changed. Not sure what this has to do with revenue and 3rd tier rights which is the crux of this conversation.

prrriiide
9/16/2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah and if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt.

You know damm good and well that LHN didn't say a word about high school games until after they had ink on the conference agreement. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that either OU or Aggie makes that agreement with full disclosure. What texass did was at best sandbagging, and you could make the case that they flat-out negotiated the new conference agreement in bad faith.

SoonerPride
9/16/2011, 01:46 PM
I blame Bill Byrne at A&M who's trying to save face now after being too short sighted to form a joint network with us when offered. I still hope they go to the SEC to become even more irrelevant and we can add some teams to the Big XII to keep it viable. I hope OU stays. TLN won't hurt you guys in the least.

ADD some teams?? Who??

To replace Nebraska and Colorado and A&M?

WHO?

No one wants in and everyone wants out.

It's over.

Y'all can come with us to the PAC or stay put and sink or join the ACC and be very sad.

Take your pick.

spanielboy
9/16/2011, 01:47 PM

I agree with you about the three points you bring up, but disagree with your final analysis. The problem was not LHN but rather the disgenious way Texas tried to make it from 3rd tier to 1st tier, as well as the high school games. Texas was granted ONE non-conference game and you went to sign a contract with ESPN to have at least two (one of them was a conference game to which was a no-no with respect to the Big12 rules), as well as "in good faith" to gain more games for LHN. Texas is changing the rules of the game as it pleases them.

saucysoonergal
9/16/2011, 01:50 PM
Scholz, the lhn is a joke and I called my provider and told them if they added that channel, I would cancel my subscription. I suggest everyone do the same.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:52 PM
And barely anyone has the network. Not sure why it's such a game changer.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 01:52 PM

You guys would've taken $300M for 3rd tier rights in a heartbeat had ESPN offered it to you. To say otherwise is just being disingenuous. But OK, Texas always has to be the bad guy. We get it.\

You are probably right. Credit is due whorn for negotiating a good deal.
I honestly think the deal is just so much bigger and made more visible (by ESPN) than expected.

I expected something comparable to the Big 10 network..which I have on my system but have never turned it on. ....Instead it turns out to be a 300MM payday for whorn and basically ESPN4. And its being pushed on us from every angle on sports radio, and commercials on ESPN. (and even our own SoonerFans.com board)

The country's biggest sports network is now completely in bed with an institution.

Add in the notion of broadcasting more live game and highlights of highschool players and it just got too big to swallow.

In the end though...its really just the straw that broke the camels back of the conference. Its been years of Texas enjoying the majority of the $ and power. People are just sick of doing business with Montgomery Burns

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:54 PM
ADD some teams?? Who??

BYU for starters. They're ready to come on board. That would add a huge market in Utah. A 10-team league with them would be plenty viable.

badger
9/16/2011, 01:54 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Boone Pickens says that OSU is smart!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110916_231_0_BROKEN707907)

He said that regardless of what happens, OSU will not be left outside of a BCS conference.

He must think his donations to UT will mean that UT won't abandon OSU?

UT already abandoned the rest of us by their arrogant Bevo TV move. And they'll look out for themselves first, always.

If Pickens should donate to any other university to ensure a BCS conference spot, he should have given it to OU :stunned:

silverwheels
9/16/2011, 01:56 PM
I thought the Big 12 and BYU already had talks and BYU said no.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:56 PM
\
Its been years of Texas enjoying the majority of the $ and power. People are just sick of doing business with Montgomery Burns
You might want to check your figures there. OU has been making the most $ in conference due to the unequal revenue setup we have.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 01:57 PM
I thought the Big 12 and BYU already had talks and BYU said no.
No. They're ready to join today.

silverwheels
9/16/2011, 01:58 PM

Not what I heard. And they won't save the conference if the SEC goes past 12.

spanielboy
9/16/2011, 01:59 PM

This is laughable. The joint network spoken about was a 70/30 share, and take a guess who was to get the lion's share of the profit? In addition, as $BILL had responded to Power's remarks, the talk about the joint network was discussed years ago --- who in their right mind would have turned down $150,000,000 if that was truly the payout (notice the $BILL moniker that Aggies give towards their AD).

When you say, "TLN won't hurt you guys in the least", for whatever reason I think of the children's fable of the monkey being sweet-talked by the crocodile.

SoonerPride
9/16/2011, 02:00 PM

Link?

I got this which says they ain't interested.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/52494371-77/byu-announced-conference-issue.html.csp

You got real news or just blowing smoke?

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:01 PM
The SEC is dragging their feet on the aggy deal. I'm not so sure they really want to go past 12 (not sure any conference really wants to be the one to start all of these dominoes including the PAC). They could've already accepted A&M without the special requirements that they're asking for.

picasso
9/16/2011, 02:03 PM
And barely anyone has the network. Not sure why it's such a game changer.
It's an obvious game changer. You guys have already won nearly half as many games as you did last season.

zandozan
9/16/2011, 02:04 PM
I still haven't seen a Texas fan answer my question. Would you be willing to fold the LHN into the Pac network and be part of a relevant conference with 3 of your former conference mates or sever ties with your traditional rivalries, join a conference that doesn't even border your state just to keep a network that you say isn't that big of a deal anyway. I want YOUR opinion and not the party line you've been defending.

And yes, fans do have a say. If they joined together the fans could force the hand of any institution to their will. Fans are the most powerful force in any decision if they choose to be by simply voting with their wallet.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:06 PM
Link?

I got this which says they ain't interested.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/52494371-77/byu-announced-conference-issue.html.csp
You got real news or just blowing smoke?
Your link is typical vague school speak on the topic of realignment. They're not going to come out and say they're itching to join. I got my news from insider reports. Take that for what it's worth. I'm not just making this up.

SoonerMom2
9/16/2011, 02:07 PM
Now ESPN is saying they don't want some basketball games like TX/OSU so that game is dropping to the LHN. UT was dishonest when they did the negotiations and for them to think that doing high school games of THEIR recruits was not going to set off a firestorm, think again. Same with the additional football game which is now a conference game. They tried to get Tech but they turned them down. Now it is on to basketball. What other college has ESPN made such an agreement with? None and to add insult to injury the advertise the LHN on games they broadcast. ESPN paid the big bucks for the LHN to keep TX from going to the PAC 12 last summer which killed the deal.

UT has poisoned the Big-12 conference with arrogance including with the LHN. Didn't help how they handled to tie refusing to acknowledge that TT was part of the tie and beat them all because they had beat OU in October. What a whiney bunch of people even flying planes and putting * everywhere. Then Mack Brown wants the rules changed that UT had previously voted for and a UT person wonders why other schools have had it.

Word on TexasAgs is that OU wants to do the RRR with A&M instead of TX. UT needs to wake up that the whole country now understands what an arrogant bunch of people run UT and you can add the fans as I used to live around some of them along with Aggies -- take the Sooner fans any day!

silverwheels
It's an obvious game changer. You guys have already won nearly half as many games as you did last season.

Heh!

silverwheels
Your link is typical vague school speak on the topic of realignment. They're not going to come out and say they're itching to join. I got my news from insider reports. Take that for what it's worth. I'm not just making this up.

Those same insiders said that BYU wasn't interested a couple of weeks ago. What changed?

spanielboy
9/16/2011, 02:08 PM

Really?!?

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:09 PM
I still haven't seen a Texas fan answer my question. Would you be willing to fold the LHN into the Pac network and be part of a relevant conference with 3 of your former conference mates or sever ties with your traditional rivalries, join a conference that doesn't even border your state just to keep a network that you say isn't that big of a deal anyway. I want YOUR opinion and not the party line you've been defending.

Sure I would. My wishes are in this order:

Stay in the Big XII to keep traditional rivalries and geographical sense
Go to the PAC with OU and OSU and Tech
Go independent
Quit football alltogether
Join the ACC/Big 10
Erase all records of ever having played football
Join the SEC

SoonerMom2
9/16/2011, 02:11 PM
Silva is just blowing smoke with his comments this week that they are working their schedules for 2012 to include A&M. (sarcasm) All of Silva's comments this week have pointed to A&M shortly joining the SEC.

We should listen to a HORN over Silva? Yeah right. They would already be in the SEC if someone hadn't put Baylor up to pulling their stunt? Wonder who that could be?

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:11 PM
UT has poisoned the Big-12 conference with arrogance including with the LHN.
I know you hate UT with every bone in your body but please acknowledge the truth. OU has voted in lockstep with UT on every meaningful vote over the history of the conference.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:13 PM
Those same insiders said that BYU wasn't interested a couple of weeks ago. What changed?
Just telling you what I read. Your sources are obviously different than mine.

silverwheels
9/16/2011, 02:14 PM
Just telling you what I read. Your sources are obviously different than mine.

Well, just a couple of weeks ago when A&M announced they were leaving, Big 12 people met with BYU people, and nothing came of it. This is according to BYU sources in Utah.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:16 PM
They would already be in the SEC if someone hadn't put Baylor up to pulling their stunt? Wonder who that could be?
A) UT waived their rights to sue A&M/SEC
B) Baylor is doing this on their own because they don't want to lose $100M and go to Conf USA
C) Baylor is not alone in their efforts (KU, KSU, ISU)

If the SEC really wanted A&M, they'd already be in the conference, potential litigation be damned.

Herr Scholz
9/16/2011, 02:18 PM
Well, just a couple of weeks ago when A&M announced they were leaving, Big 12 people met with BYU people, and nothing came of it. This is according to BYU sources in Utah.
There have been more talks since that meeting. Heck, UT brass even travelled up to Norman.

You don't think BYU might be keeping things quiet?

badger
9/16/2011, 02:30 PM
Herr --- why can't you guys control your little Aggy brother a little more and make him stay in the Big 12? If it takes giving them a small stake in the LHN, just call it the Texas Network and be done with it!

Don't know how to control a little Aggy brother? Watch us and OSU to see how it's done:

OU: HEY, OSU! We're going to the Pac 12!
OSU: OK.
OU: We changed our mind! We're staying in the Big 12!
OU: Well, maybe not. Pac 12!

See how easy that is? CONTROL YOUR LITTLE AGGY BROTHER, WHORN!

silverwheels
9/16/2011, 02:35 PM
There have been more talks since that meeting. Heck, UT brass even travelled up to Norman.

You don't think BYU might be keeping things quiet?

Maybe. If the Big 12 could get BYU, another team, and get A&M to stay (or, more likely, the SEC goes back and decides it doesn't want them), the Big 12 would be okay, I guess. Although it would still be a tenuous relationship at best and probably wouldn't last. No one likes Texas, and they think way too highly of themselves.

FtwTxSooner
9/16/2011, 03:13 PM
UT Board of Regents is meeting Monday as well to discuss conference affiliation...

http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/AgendaBook/Sep11/9-2011AB.pdf

1. U. T. Austin: Discussion and appropriate action regarding delegation to act on matters related to athletic conference membership and contracting

soonerboomer93
9/16/2011, 03:15 PM
Now ESPN is saying they don't want some basketball games like TX/OSU so that game is dropping to the LHN. UT was dishonest when they did the negotiations and for them to think that doing high school games of THEIR recruits was not going to set off a firestorm, think again. Same with the additional football game which is now a conference game. They tried to get Tech but they turned them down. Now it is on to basketball. What other college has ESPN made such an agreement with? None and to add insult to injury the advertise the LHN on games they broadcast. ESPN paid the big bucks for the LHN to keep TX from going to the PAC 12 last summer which killed the deal.

UT has poisoned the Big-12 conference with arrogance including with the LHN. Didn't help how they handled to tie refusing to acknowledge that TT was part of the tie and beat them all because they had beat OU in October. What a whiney bunch of people even flying planes and putting * everywhere. Then Mack Brown wants the rules changed that UT had previously voted for and a UT person wonders why other schools have had it.

Word on TexasAgs is that OU wants to do the RRR with A&M instead of TX. UT needs to wake up that the whole country now understands what an arrogant bunch of people run UT and you can add the fans as I used to live around some of them along with Aggies -- take the Sooner fans any day!

I don't think OU has a problem with the selling of theird tier rights or with the lhn in and of itself.

The biggest problem is see is the obvious shifting of games. Yes, the conference can block conference game movements, but will they? Who will vote against moving a game, what school besides OU and A$M is in a position to say no. There is probably a drive with in ESPN to put games on lhn to force movement by the tv providers. They have to create a demand for the channel besides the fact it's lhn.

Personally, I think ssg has a good idea. I don't want the lhn, I don't want them adding money to my bill for that channel.

badger
9/16/2011, 03:16 PM
How much you wanna bet that

a) the OU and UT regents meeting coincide and

b) when they each go into executive session, they are talking to each other out of media and the public's hearing range?

soonerboomer93
9/16/2011, 03:17 PM
I know you hate UT with every bone in your body but please acknowledge the truth. OU has voted in lockstep with UT on every meaningful vote over the history of the conference.

no, we voted against you allowing hs football games on lhn

TJKDone
9/16/2011, 03:26 PM
Listen we have ten times the alumni base in 50 times the market that OU does. This means we will have much moe negotiating power than the sooners ever will. Bob knows this and understands that over the long term LHN will cause us to kick your you know what even if we have the Permian Panther coach vs Knute Rockne. I get the strategy of trying to force us to divorce the LHN, which ultimately will be carried in every major market, but we aren't daft enough to cave. There are literally 30 T Boon Pickens Alumni from UT...do you think were going to not be who we are because of Bobby's posturing?

We'll be in a BCS conference with our own network regardless of what is said...It is going to happen...Barry, the King as you guys call him, has said the dumbest thing OU can do is go to another league from UT...the board of regents for OU apparently disagrees...we will see who is right soon enough.

Hookem

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/16/2011, 03:35 PM
until Texas plays down there(SEC country) every other year. Wont take long for them to get familiar enough to start winning some of those recruiting battles...Yeah, boy, what a thrill to come out west(compared to the SEC)to play for MACK BROWN. haha

Sco
9/16/2011, 03:37 PM
Listen we have ten times the alumni base in 50 times the market that OU does. This means we will have much moe negotiating power than the sooners ever will. Bob knows this and understands that over the long term LHN will cause us to kick your you know what even if we have the Permian Panther coach vs Knute Rockne. I get the strategy of trying to force us to divorce the LHN, which ultimately will be carried in every major market, but we aren't daft enough to cave. There are literally 30 T Boon Pickens Alumni from UT...do you think were going to not be who we are because of Bobby's posturing?

We'll be in a BCS conference with our own network regardless of what is said...It is going to happen...Barry, the King as you guys call him, has said the dumbest thing OU can do is go to another league from UT...the board of regents for OU apparently disagrees...we will see who is right soon enough.

Hookem

Do you think this is about the contract you have with ESPN? I know that UT has money and will always have a ton of it. Who cares about that?

It's about the power that UT is trying to keep over everyone in the conference and the arrogance to think that their voice is the only one that is heard in the Big 12. I can't blame Nebraska and A&M for leaving (wanting to leave). In fact, if OU ends up in another league than Texas, I have no issue with it whatsoever.

I would miss the RRS and frankly I think UT and OU are good business partners for each other. I just hope that if UT follows us to the Pac that Larry Scott digs in his heels and doesn't let Texas walk around the conference like their **** doesn't stink. We should all be equals in the conference, and that includes revenue sharing.

9/16/2011, 03:41 PM
So you people really want to get away from Texas that bad?the LHN is a POS to everyone except guys like you.

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 03:42 PM

Hookem
And this post, ladies and gentlemen, is pretty much the embodiment of all things d0ucheb@ggy about Texas.

MeMyself&Me
9/16/2011, 03:43 PM

Hookem

Texas already gets dang near every recruit they target. I don't see LHN changing football as much as you think. Texas just needs evaluate recruits better.

BigTip
9/16/2011, 03:46 PM
Texas already gets dang near every recruit they target. Texas just needs evaluate recruits better.

...and coach them better.

Canyonero
9/16/2011, 03:47 PM
If Texas decides against going to the Pac12 who goes with us besides the pokes? I would prefer KU/MU over a TT/KU or MU. Truthfully I prefer Texas not go with us make the RRR an OOC game like in the past.

badger
9/16/2011, 03:49 PM
How Texas can circumvent the rules:

1- Have every player beyond the 25 they can sign in a recruiting class be a "walk on" or a "grayshirt." With all the money free flowing through the athletic department, some might just slip to the walk-on grayshirts to pay for expensive UT college.

2- Establish a College of Athletics. All athletes have majors in this newly founded college. A degree in this program entitles you to future work in the UT athletic department. High paying jobs abound. Goodbye, recession!

3- Break away from the NCAA. Establish own "Texas" set of rules, allowing for broadcast of high school games of UT recruits, high school games of recruits of closest rivals with Texas line of bias in reporting, and high school highlights of top recruits from around the country that can potentially be Longhorn recruits someday.

9/16/2011, 03:51 PM
We have no idea what the President(Boren) will do. I've always believed he leans towards keeping the conference together and may still, however, I haven't a clue. I just know whatever they decide, I'm on board.me too, as long as they don't invite TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston into the Big 9. any of them. (re: recruiting)

badger
9/16/2011, 03:55 PM
Gut feeling: I think Boren is hard-balling A&M and the SEC into making the easier decision: To stick with the status quo until a longterm solution presents itself.

In a nutshell, Boren is fiddling away while Texas burns and I love it.
http://i53.tinypic.com/fnadqq.png

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 03:57 PM
Texas already gets dang near every recruit they target. I don't see LHN changing football as much as you think. Texas just needs evaluate recruits better.
Texas has a discipline problem, not an evaluation problem. Austin is not a town that lends itself to discipline and Mack isn't the right coach to get them on that track.

SoonerMom2
9/16/2011, 05:03 PM
Might as well throw my two cents in as I keep hearing the delay has been to make sure all the schools have a landing place and probably why the President of Baylor is not talking so much and neither is that loudmouth Pickens. OU has already contacted A&M about doing the RRR so it is starting to show that TX is not high on OU's list right now. Anyone who thinks the Big 12 is going to survive, think again -- if it does it will be without OU, OSU, and two others schools most likely and then Texas can be king for two years until the BCS contract runs out. Pres Boren has already said that BYU is not a replacement for A&M and Silva has said they are doing the 2012 schedule with A&M. Add 2+2 and you can bet that Boren is not going to flirt with the PAC 12 and turn around and stay in this crappy conference. Not going to happen. Word is that Silva is ready to pull the plug on the waivers that some of the schools won't sign and go with the original letter from Beebe that spoke for all schools. Why would anyone trust the current Big 12 headed by Beebe and UT? Their word is not worth anything.

9/16/2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah and if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt.

You know damm good and well that LHN didn't say a word about high school games until after they had ink on the conference agreement. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that either OU or Aggie makes that agreement with full disclosure. What texass did was at best sandbagging, and you could make the case that they flat-out negotiated the new conference agreement in bad faith.No shiite! Mr Scholz, you oughta have the above as a signature!

soonerboomer93
9/16/2011, 05:50 PM

Hookem

No, you've always had that. That change from the last 15 years in the same conference as you. Yet we still have more NC's more Conference championships, more Heisman winners, more weeks as #1 in the AP...

This isn't about the LHN, it really is about conference stability. The only thing that bothered the administration about the LHN is the hs games, which is why OU voted against it. What the average texas fan fails to remember, OU turned down NBC. They chose to not let a network control their schedule in favor of traditional rivalries and maintaining their own control. You may choose to act all uppity about how big you are, but we're not little brother. Your little brother is in college station. Don't forget your place.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 05:59 PM
You might want to check your figures there. OU has been making the most $ in conference due to the unequal revenue setup we have.

you may have figures that I dont...so I will just go by logic and say...w

why would OU want to leave the conference when they are making the majority of the money?

Why would Nebraska leave citing whorn control of the money and the power
Why would ATM leave citing tired of being in confercence whorns control

Im sure you can find some figures that show we've been doing pretty well. Winning the majority of B12 titles and having president like Senator/
Governor Boren will tend to yield good results financially.

But please, please, please dont try to argue OU has enjoyed the same clout in the B12 that whorn has.

My argument is that LHN is the cherry on top of a decade of moves made by whorn to say "we have the huge fan base, we have the marketshare, we bring in more TV revenue than anyone else...we want to be the New York Yankees of the B12"...(of course with only 2 conference championships and 1 one MNC). This attitude is completely acceptable in a completely free market. Whorns just cant seem to understand why the other kid in the sandbox have moved on to play with other kids.

Again.....Nobody wants to be a business partner with Monty Burns...the super rich seem to die alone

9/16/2011, 07:14 PM

HookemMy oh my! No wonder you guys are so well liked. haha

King Barry's Back
9/16/2011, 07:19 PM
How much you wanna bet that

a) the OU and UT regents meeting coincide and

b) when they each go into executive session, they are talking to each other out of media and the public's hearing range?

Yeah, while that's probably not literally true (the coordination will take place just before and after the meetings), that's a scenario I am seeing as well.

UNLESS President Boren truly feels so personally betrayed over the LHN that he really is doing all this in order to poke TX in the eye.

I don't think that's the case, but I certainly don't know anymore than anybody else.

3rdgensooner
9/16/2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for clearing all that up for us. Really. We had no idea.

SoonerMom2
9/16/2011, 07:30 PM
According to what they have been saying at UT, Boren told them OU is gone from the Conference when they made the trip up here. No way Boren takes a chance with this conference after what happened this last year. How could anyone trust TX and no way would he diss the PAC 12 -- bet he regrets not leaving this conference last summer. With A&M gone, this conference sucks. Just like it was reported he made the comments when he did to stop BYU who TX was pushing. No way he trusts anything TX. I am not a better, but I would bet we are off to the PAC 12 and UT will not be going since the word is out that OU has been talking to A&M about the two of us going to Dallas and not UT. TX arrogance with the LHN now going to show basketball games is not making any of the schools happy. Just like Baylor's actions make it so you cannot trust Baylor. I do analysis work for campaigns and this smacks of OU headed west without a doubt. If we were staying no reason to discuss legal ramifications of leaving.

OrlandoSooner
9/16/2011, 08:20 PM
No, you've always had that. That change from the last 15 years in the same conference as you. Yet we still have more NC's more Conference championships, more Heisman winners, more weeks as #1 in the AP...

This isn't about the LHN, it really is about conference stability. The only thing that bothered the administration about the LHN is the hs games, which is why OU voted against it. What the average texas fan fails to remember, OU turned down NBC. They chose to not let a network control their schedule in favor of traditional rivalries and maintaining their own control. You may choose to act all uppity about how big you are, but we're not little brother. Your little brother is in college station. Don't forget your place.

IMO, you are spot on. OU has explored their own network. Why would the LHN bother them (as long as no HS games)? It is all about the stability of the conference.

birddog
9/16/2011, 08:29 PM
texas is the new arkansas. enjoy.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 08:39 PM
texas is the new arkansas. enjoy.

no...Texas Ran off the old Arkansas
ATM, Neb and now OU are the new Arkansas.

I have a friend who has been divorced several times now. Each time he tells me stories of how crazy his ex wife is. After the 3rd divorce I had to tell him...Bro...maybe its you. Whorns need to learn the same lesson

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 08:42 PM
IMO, you are spot on. OU has explored their own network. Why would the LHN bother them (as long as no HS games)? It is all about the stability of the conference.

....and the conference instability is caused mostly by one university.....which put a cherry on top of their arrogant sundae with the LHN

I agree this isnt all about LHN.... Its just that LHN embodies what everyone already hated

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2011, 08:46 PM
The LHN was merely the straw that broke the camels back. Well, maybe it was more like the extra bale of hay that broke the camel's back.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2011, 09:12 PM

Hookem

Dear Pythagoras

You already get all the recruits in Texas that you want by the time they are Juniors in HS...Yet you were 5-7 last year. LHN wont change that

T boone didnt go to OU he went to OSU

Every School has lots of Rich Alumus

If you have so much negotiating power, why did Whorn officials fly to Norman to try to persuade David Boren to stay in the B12
If you have so much negotiating power, why is the B12 crumbling when its clearly in Whorn interest to keep it going.

Whorns may very well keep LHN. Have fun travelling to chapel hill for your new rivalry. Im sure the recruiting base is awesome there.
OH yeah...now you can mix in a few more conference championships

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dipzhit>> There are literally 30 T Boon Pickens Alumni from UT.

T Boone has donated quadrillions of dollars and has buildings named after him...

...in Austin.

Guess that means there are 31 buildings on the 40 acres?

SanJoaquinSooner
9/16/2011, 09:47 PM
There are literally 30 T Boon Pickens Alumni from UT...

Hookem

I think you mean figuratively, not literally.

OUinFLA
9/16/2011, 09:54 PM
rich alumni smack
that's a new one

3rdgensooner
9/16/2011, 09:55 PM
rich alumni smack
that's a new oneYou're all envious. I can tell.

hornswaggled
9/16/2011, 10:58 PM
It took me a while to finally understand what he is saying; that there are rich people in Austin. I thought T Boone was cloning himself and there are now 30 of them who own windmills in the texass panhandle.