PDA

View Full Version : I miss Nebraska

Sooner_Havok
9/12/2011, 11:47 PM
They were a good member of the Big 12. If we could have kept them, this fly-over land conference could have survived. Sure, they kinda sucked at football there for a while, and Bill Callahan was a tool (to put it nicely) but the fans were generally chill, and they helped us counter texas and a&m politically. I hope that 30 years from now, when ESPN does a 30-30 type thing on the Big 12, Dan Beebe is eviscerated. He took what was once a proud conference that could boast of 5 former football national champions (3 repeat offenders), and steered it into the rocks. Sure, texas' hand was there too, but you can't help but think if the Big 12 had a commissioner with more backbone, texas wouldn't have been as able to exert the influence they did. Do you blame the 4 year old or the parent when the kid eats so many damed cookies he get the diabetes? Texas is the 4 year old, whining that it wants more cookies. Beebe should have been a responsible parent and slapped texas and said "NO!" But he didn't.

Now Nebraska moved in with the classy neighbors up the street, colorado picked up a surf board and bolted west to add surfing to it's winter X games sports list and score some cheap pot, and a&m is going to the bad part of town to smoke crystal meth with its new friends.

I short, I miss corn :(

JiminyChristmas
9/12/2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, BYU could replace CU, but NU and aTm can't be replaced with anything comparable. Not even remotely close to NU. Sad indeed.

Sooner_Havok
9/13/2011, 12:00 AM
IMO a&m could be replaced. It was Nebraska leaving that stings the most. Maybe I am just being nostalgic over the old Big 8 days, when it was OU-NU to decide who went to the Orange Bowl (I can only barely remember that now though) but Nebraska was different, they were special. OU and Corn were very much alike. Any self inflated texas school could take a&m's spot, but what other fan base outside of Norman could replace Corn? Alabama fans were cool, but they were, and let's be honest here, pretty country. OU fans and Nebraska fans just seemed to get along. I hope we play a home an home with them some day, I never got to make it up to Lincoln for a game. Been to Dallas 5 times, but would trade every one of them to have gone to Lincoln and seen the OU-NU game in its prime just once.

the-rover
9/13/2011, 12:12 AM
The Corn of the Big8 > The Corn of the Big12

Sooner_Havok
9/13/2011, 12:17 AM
The Corn of the Big8 > The Corn of the Big12

Yeah, but Corn of the Big 12 > Any other Big 12-2-1 Not named OU or UT.

What OU and Texas have is great, but what OU and Nebraska had was special.

cccasooner2
9/13/2011, 09:39 AM
I short, I miss corn :(

Then you're in luck. ESPN Classic is replaying the great rematch, the 2010 Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl - Nebraska Cornhuskers vs Washington Huskies today 5 pm EST.

soonervegas
9/13/2011, 10:17 AM
But the 1st OU-Nebraska Rose Bowl will be epic!

badger
9/13/2011, 10:23 AM
Everyone is to blame for this league falling apart.

Mizzou for having a big mouthed governor.

Nebraska for Ozzy asking the Big Ten to make a snap decision.

Colorado for wanting to join their fellow weed smokers quickly, or preemp a Texas political move to include Baylor.

Texas for the Longhorn Network.

Texas A&M for hating the Longhorn Network.

OU for needing to find a home that could also house OSU.

OSU for clinging to OU.

Iowa State and Baylor for not bringing anything to the table across the board.

Kansas and Kansas State for bringing only basketball.

Tech for the political lobbying every step of the way.

KantoSooner
9/13/2011, 10:35 AM
Then you're in luck. ESPN Classic is replaying the great rematch, the 2010 Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl - Nebraska Cornhuskers vs Washington Huskies today 5 pm EST.

You're a cruel, cruel man.

funny, but cruel.

tfoolry
9/13/2011, 10:35 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R_n9NpRlAhI/AAAAAAAAFdU/BnTcYPxHzCc/s400/gopelini.jpg

picasso
9/13/2011, 01:42 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R_n9NpRlAhI/AAAAAAAAFdU/BnTcYPxHzCc/s400/gopelini.jpg
"AEIOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

King Crimson
9/13/2011, 01:43 PM
screw Nebraska. those guys have been calling us backstabbers for years.

FtwTxSooner
9/13/2011, 01:50 PM
screw Nebraska. those guys have been calling us backstabbers for years.

Probably because we were. We willingly sided with Texas in every single instance during the formation of the Big 12.

Sooner24
9/13/2011, 02:06 PM
"AEIOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Must have been taken at a Super Hero get together or a "Big Bang Theory" watch party because I see the Green Lantern behind him.

Sooner5030
9/13/2011, 02:07 PM
FUNL for leaving, TTU for firing Pirate and KU for firing Fat Bastard! This conference ate its own.

tfoolry
9/13/2011, 02:35 PM

Must have been taken at a Super Hero get together or a "Big Bang Theory" watch party because I see the Green Lantern behind him.

I believe this is where he was earlier:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/best-photos-of-the-week-51.jpg

SoonerPride
9/13/2011, 03:23 PM
I don't.