cccasooner2
9/12/2011, 07:35 PM
I wish him well.

oumartin
9/12/2011, 08:14 PM
too many rb's

JLMSOONER
9/12/2011, 08:18 PM
Making scholly room for Whaley. Don't think for a minute that the coaches don't suggest things. Part of the biness!!

PLaw
9/12/2011, 08:19 PM
We're starting to get thin back there. Looks like we will definitely see Williams sooner than later.

Interesting how Johnson and Calhoun are both gone and each had a Rivals can't miss status.

Best wishes Mr. Calhoun, you made us proud while you were here.

BOOMER

JLMSOONER
9/12/2011, 09:17 PM
Who is Johnson?

Okie35
9/12/2011, 09:33 PM
Probably meant Miller.

SoonerMarkVA
9/12/2011, 09:44 PM
I assumed he meant Justin Johnson, who came in the same class as Calhoun.

gaylordfan1
9/12/2011, 09:56 PM
I kinda saw this coming. I though he would announce first. Now, Miller surprised me.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2011, 10:00 PM
I'm surprised 2 RBs are leaving given that Whaley had 1 good game and it was against a lesser opponent. But they see who gets all the snaps in practice and hear the coaches feedback.

SoonerofAlabama
9/12/2011, 10:13 PM
Well, we still have six listed on the roster.

hotshot13422
9/12/2011, 10:28 PM
Whaley (Jr)
Clay (So)
Finch (So)
Williams, Brandon (Redshirt)
Winters (Redshirt-Fr)
Williams, Danzel (Fr)

We still have 4 running backs that would start at most NCAA schools, we'll be fine. Especially when you remember that our oldest running back on the roster is only a Jr and that our arguably best running back is currently redshirting as a freshman. Our RB will be stocked for the next three years easily.

JLEW1818
9/12/2011, 10:30 PM
hope we keep Williams as a RS plan.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/12/2011, 10:46 PM
I'm surprised 2 RBs are leaving given that Whaley had 1 good game and it was against a lesser opponent. But they see who gets all the snaps in practice and hear the coaches feedback.

Whaley apparently had a really awesome offseason....followed by the great game.

but your point is still no bad

SoonerOX
9/12/2011, 11:09 PM
I saw this one, and apparently Mr. Calhoun saw the writing on the wall. I wish him much success wherever he goes.

LVSOONER15
9/12/2011, 11:38 PM
I wish him all the luck, but we gotta keep our best players on the field.

VA Sooner
9/13/2011, 06:19 AM
Jermie had problems making the big plays though... coaches saw something in the others that Rivals cannot translate to the college level.

Soonermagik
9/13/2011, 07:10 AM
I called him a bust in another thread... looks like I was right. He never lived up to the hype and I'm thankful he's leaving. With him and Miller leaving that opens up 2 scholarships for kids that could really help the program.

OU Sooners
9/13/2011, 08:44 AM
Sometimes the Rivals and Scout.com rankings are just a gauge. Personally I like seeing more 3 and 4 star players getting recruited because those are the ones that turn out to have more hunger and drive coming in. I remember being super excited about Justin Johnson and Jermie Calhoun being 5 star backs and both coming to us in the same year but obviously they weren't destined for greatness at OU!

SoonerAtKU
9/13/2011, 08:49 AM
He's going to do very well somewhere, I'm sure. Best of luck to the guy.

Lawton4Life
9/13/2011, 08:51 AM
Keep in mind, Jermie was from a very small town and played 3a ball. I wish him the best, but I'm always a little leary of the big fish from the small pond kids. Odds are we was just really better than everyone else. Would he have had those stats in 5a? Who knows.

In HS, if you're just stronger and faster you can be a great small school RB.

pphilfran
9/13/2011, 08:55 AM
Billy came from Hooks, Tx...

Lawton4Life
9/13/2011, 09:03 AM
Never said it was impossible to be great being from a small school, but in this day and age I think I'll take my chances with the 4a and 5a kids (texas doesnt have 6a like OK) than the small kids schools. At the 4 and 5a level down here these days its practically like a minor league. The stadiums are nicer than what Tulsa had before the remodel!

Who was Van playing week in and week out vs what Euless Trinity or Longview or Skyline or Cibolo Steele etc.

pphilfran
9/13/2011, 09:06 AM
There is no doubt that playing at a big school has its advantages...

But it is physical ability and the size of the heart in the kid that ultimately determines how far he goes...

Lawton4Life
9/13/2011, 09:11 AM
Thats very true and heart is the ULTIMATE intangible.

I think what my point is with a small school kid his physical ability might be overrated because it looks so much better against the weaker competition. That talent might look more 3 star vs better kids. As Mitch Hedberg said, I'd love to play little league again. I'd be so much better than those kids now.

Malcolm Kelly's senior yeat at Longview, 11 players got D1 scholarships. There might not be 11 players in the history of Van Tx that got D1 offers. (I have no idea, just making a point)

jkjsooner
9/13/2011, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind, Jermie was from a very small town and played 3a ball. I wish him the best, but I'm always a little leary of the big fish from the small pond kids. Odds are we was just really better than everyone else. Would he have had those stats in 5a? Who knows.

In HS, if you're just stronger and faster you can be a great small school RB.

I think it's obvious that it's a little harder to judge small school players but that is pretty much a given. I will point out that Billy Sims was pretty much a known quantity coming out of high school, lesser competitition or not.

I think ignoring the small school kids is a big mistake though. Because there is so much hesitance to recruit small school guys, when you get one usually they're a lock because they've overcome so much bias just to get noticed and taken seriously.

If you close your eyes to small school kids you would lose players like Wes Welker. Just from OU's experience when we've actually recruited a small school kid (whether it be basketball or football) they've usually turned out pretty well.

badger
9/13/2011, 11:09 AM
If you close your eyes to small school kids you would lose players like Wes Welker.

Speaking of the Oklahoma native, guess whose NFL fantasy football team had both Wes AND Tom Brady when they torched the Fins last nite? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LakeRat
9/13/2011, 12:21 PM
Speaking of the Oklahoma native, guess whose NFL fantasy football team had both Wes AND Tom Brady when they torched the Fins last nite? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Were you playing me? Cause the guy I was playing had both of them and about through a rock through my tv. I was going to win before that play.

hotshot13422
9/13/2011, 12:25 PM
Bob Stoops: "We're preparing Brandon Williams to play."

Oh great

badger
9/13/2011, 12:42 PM
Were you playing me? Cause the guy I was playing had both of them and about through a rock through my tv. I was going to win before that play.

I'm not a guy... and neither was the person I was playing this week :)

King Crimson
9/13/2011, 12:51 PM
when Finch jumped him last year, word was that Jermie didn't work that hard in practice.

good luck to the kid.

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 12:51 PM
I'm kinda mixed on these transfer deals. One side of me goes "you big effing wuss. Try harder. Be so good the coaches can't ignore you." The other side of me goes "maybe he's just not good enough to wear the crimson and cream so good luck somewhere else." There is also one little side of me that goes "is the coach playing the right guy?"

Oh well, in Bob we trust.

OULenexaman
9/13/2011, 12:53 PM
oooh......lesbo fantansy football action......sounds hawt!!

badger
9/13/2011, 12:54 PM
These kids have been the best player in their elementary, middle and high school and come to OU and suddenly aren't the best anymore (unless your nickname is All Day). It happens, and it's disappointing. It's just a matter of whether or fight harder for what you think you deserve and have earned, or perhaps the coaches encourage you that its in your best interests to move on.

Some transfers in the past seemed ready to fight, like Keith Nichol, and perhaps Troy Aikman. However, the coaches said "hey, you're awesome, but you're not moving up the depth chart unless there's injuries." Can't really fault them for seeking a new home there.

badger
9/13/2011, 12:54 PM
oooh......lesbo fantansy football action......sounds hawt!!

NP is going to kill you, fyi.

King Crimson
9/13/2011, 01:04 PM
Aikman got his leg broken in a game against a serious team and a serious player in Jerome Brown. as i recall most people didn't have anyone who could block JB. he blocks a FG against us in 85, too, i recall. smothers it.

so, we win the national championship with a FR option QB. Troy's options were pretty limited at that point.

Soonerjeepman
9/13/2011, 01:09 PM
hope we keep Williams as a RS plan.

thought Stoops said the other day that B Williams WILL NOT rshirt....has that changed?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2011, 01:12 PM
I'm kinda mixed on these transfer deals. One side of me goes "you big effing wuss. Try harder. Be so good the coaches can't ignore you." The other side of me goes "maybe he's just not good enough to wear the crimson and cream so good luck somewhere else." There is also one little side of me that goes "is the coach playing the right guy?"

You have a lot of sides

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 01:13 PM
I save my front side for you sweet cheeks.

WTH you been anyhow? Knee?

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2011, 01:16 PM

Some part of me agrees with some part of you.

King Crimson
9/13/2011, 01:17 PM
Dean, this ain't no packers site you are modding....

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 01:18 PM
Dean, this ain't no packers site you are modding....

You got a point?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/13/2011, 01:42 PM

I was surprised by Miller transferring. If anything happened to Whaley he'd be the next back on the field (not to mention filling that role his SR year). Calhoun, not so much.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2011, 01:59 PM
I was surprised by Miller transferring. If anything happened to Whaley he'd be the next back on the field (not to mention filling that role his SR year). Calhoun, not so much.

+1 Assuming jmillerfan really is his dad, it sounded like he was very down after the Tulsa game when he was only called on for mop-up duty. I hope he didn't over-react and things work out for him elsewhere.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/13/2011, 02:11 PM
+1 Assuming jmillerfan really is his dad, it sounded like he was very down after the Tulsa game when he was only called on for mop-up duty. I hope he didn't over-react and things work out for him elsewhere.

Yep, especially given our injury history with our "power" backs. Not sure we've had one finish the season since 2004.

8timechamps
9/13/2011, 02:21 PM
Bob made it really clear in his pre (Tulsa) game press conference that Whaley had done more than enough in practice to earn his spot. My guess is that Calhoun just never showed the coaching staff why he should be playing more.

This is yet another example of why the recruiting services are one dimensional. Sure, they can tell who the physical specimens are, but how much a kid wants "it", or how big his heart is, is something they cannot report.

I'm far to lazy to look up Whaley's recruiting numbers, but given that he went to Langston to start his college career, tells me that he wasn't highly thought of...now the kid is the leading rusher for the #1 team in the country. Recruiting services are like the Mel Kiper of high school football....without the hair.

Good luck to Calhoun, I hope he pulls a Tashard Choice and finds the right fit for him.

hotshot13422
9/13/2011, 02:28 PM
thought Stoops said the other day that B Williams WILL NOT rshirt....has that changed?

Stoops said today that they are preparing Williams to play. My guess is that he'll play eventually but should be held for a redshirt. We really don't need our 4th string running back to play.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/13/2011, 02:45 PM
Bob made it really clear in his pre (Tulsa) game press conference that Whaley had done more than enough in practice to earn his spot. My guess is that Calhoun just never showed the coaching staff why he should be playing more.

This is yet another example of why the recruiting services are one dimensional. Sure, they can tell who the physical specimens are, but how much a kid wants "it", or how big his heart is, is something they cannot report.

I'm far to lazy to look up Whaley's recruiting numbers, but given that he went to Langston to start his college career, tells me that he wasn't highly thought of...now the kid is the leading rusher for the #1 team in the country. Recruiting services are like the Mel Kiper of high school football....without the hair.

Good luck to Calhoun, I hope he pulls a Tashard Choice and finds the right fit for him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Dominque-Whaley-70946

He was 5'9/182 in high school and is 5'10/197 now which I think is the big key (calhoun was 210 in high school btw). You just can't take a flyer at lean guys like whaley in case they don't add weight. The bigger guys tend to eat themselves into being a linebacker.

swardboy
9/13/2011, 04:30 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Dominque-Whaley-70946

He was 5'9/182 in high school and is 5'10/197 now which I think is the big key (calhoun was 210 in high school btw). You just can't take a flyer at lean guys like whaley in case they don't add weight. The bigger guys tend to eat themselves into being a linebacker.

LOL, because, it's so true. "Hi. I was a running back 50 lbs. ago."

Eielson
9/13/2011, 05:17 PM
Does this mean our preseason All-Big XII running back is finally up to 3rd string?

Eielson
9/13/2011, 05:20 PM

Nobody noticed him because Javon Harris was the starting running back at his high school.

jmillerfan
9/14/2011, 06:05 AM

believe me it shocked me too and at one point he was the co-starter can't figure out why he couldn't see that happening again. I figured on a week to week challenge and if you can make it happen consistently in a particular week you are a third of the starting rotation.