PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon snack choices...

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 05:10 PM
Here is my final four:

M&Ms peanut - A stall-wort in the snacking world, always a good choice...even better if your secretary is allergic to peanuts.

Twix - Haven't had one in a loooooong time. Not sure I'm up for the caramel/cookie combo, but it made the final four.

Reese's Cups - My favorite, but I really feel like I've segregated the other snacks by always going with the tried and true Reese's.

An Apple - Not high on my list, but no question the healthy option.

WWJD? If only he were here, he could make the decision for me!

Lott's Bandana
9/12/2011, 05:14 PM
A cold, crisp Clausen's Kosher Dill, either halved or whole.

C&CDean
9/12/2011, 05:15 PM
None of the above. You wanna be like Sicem?

My afternoon snack? Some mixed nuts. Yesterday was jerky. Sometimes it's peanut butter and celery or Laughing Cow cheese on celery. I can honestly say I haven't had a candy bar in....years? I did eat a couple peanut M&Ms though about a year or so ago.

olevetonahill
9/12/2011, 05:22 PM
Whats this SNACK carp? Its freaking Supper time .

olevetonahill
9/12/2011, 05:23 PM
Oh and Im having some Cold Natty :fat:

soonerboomer93
9/12/2011, 05:27 PM
I tried a new different protien bar today (Clif brand). Seemed already.

Not dinner time for me though, going to gym, will eat around 8.

OutlandTrophy
9/12/2011, 06:32 PM
I have a protein bar for you!

*points at crotch*

Breadburner
9/12/2011, 07:37 PM
None of the above. You wanna be like Sicem?

My afternoon snack? Some mixed nuts. Yesterday was jerky. Sometimes it's peanut butter and celery or Laughing Cow cheese on celery. I can honestly say I haven't had a candy bar in....years? I did eat a couple peanut M&Ms though about a year or so ago.

Thats about as extreme as your Toby Keith rant......

Soonerfan88
9/12/2011, 07:40 PM
I would go with the peanut M&Ms. Reese's cups are to be savored at home, not while working.

And Dean, he did list an apple as a choice so why 'none of the above'?

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 08:51 PM
I have a protein bar for you!

*points at crotch*

I didn't know they made protien bars in a mini-size?!

I actually found a place close that sells beef jerky (good jerky), so I went with Dean-o's snack recommendation.

It was perfect.

And Olevete, I'm in mountain time...so I don't think about dinner until 7 or later. Unlike 1TC, who eats and is in bed sleeping by 5.

salth2o
9/12/2011, 08:58 PM
Whats this SNACK carp? Its freaking Supper time .

this.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/13/2011, 12:24 AM
http://www.vitacost.com/Images/Products/1000/Kind/Kind-Fruit-And-Nut-Bars-Fruit-And-Nut-Delight-602652171246.jpg

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 07:53 AM
I would go with the peanut M&Ms. Reese's cups are to be savored at home, not while working.

And Dean, he did list an apple as a choice so why 'none of the above'?

Too many carbs - although they're OK carbs.

My beef with candy bars and crap is the HFCS they're sweetened with. They don't taste anything like they did back in the day, and it is widely proven and accepted that HFCS is a leading cause of diabetes/obesity/poor health. Why risk it when there's other stuff that is better for you that actually provides some nutritional value/protein/fiber/etc that tastes good?

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 07:53 AM
Thats about as extreme as your Toby Keith rant......

I had an extreme Toby Keith rant? Really? How extreme was it?

8timechamps
9/13/2011, 09:57 PM

My beef with candy bars and crap is the HFCS they're sweetened with. They don't taste anything like they did back in the day, and it is widely proven and accepted that HFCS is a leading cause of diabetes/obesity/poor health. Why risk it when there's other stuff that is better for you that actually provides some nutritional value/protein/fiber/etc that tastes good?

Dean, that was the issue...I was stuck with only those choice (well, there were a lot more candy bars to select from). Against my urges, I went with the Apple.

mgsooner
9/13/2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.dollarchimp.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/1/114980l/example.com--3X007288-30.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
9/13/2011, 11:21 PM
http://www.dollarchimp.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/1/114980l/example.com--3X007288-30.jpg

Ive been looking for those sausages in barbeque sauce for ages!

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2011, 01:23 AM
I don't eat much at meal time; I usually only eat dinner. However, I'm a big-time snacker. I eat almost every junk food throughout the day.

Today, I ate a large back of crunchy Cheetos and 1/3 of a box of Chips-Ahoy cookies.

Yesterday it was chips and salsa and a bunch of Rice Krispe Treats.

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 07:09 AM
I'll bet your beetus is going "yeah baby, feed me." Dude, do you wanna die young?

Howzit
9/14/2011, 08:31 AM
Carrotts around 2:00, apple and peanut butter around 4:00. If I'm lifting at the gym, a small protein drink before, if I'm running, nothing.

And by running I mean snail-paced waddling.

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 08:34 AM
Your snail paced waddling would be a sprint for me. In fact, the last time I ran in the OKC Marathon I was part of a 2-person team (back then they didn't offer a half-marathon) our team name was "The Mighty Waddlers." You could probably walk and keep up with my waddle.

Howzit
9/14/2011, 08:54 AM
Doubt it. Trust me, I've lost the old triathlon motivation. Use to get pissed off during runs and power through. Now I'm like, eh, a walk sounds nice right about now.

NormanPride
9/14/2011, 09:04 AM
Good. Don't kill yourself and make workouts fun. That's the best solution.

FirstandGoal
9/14/2011, 09:13 AM

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I start paying closer attention to my nutritional needs, I realize that my body needs a lot of protein or else I really feel like crap. Which leads to overeating carbs, which makes me feel crappier and the vicious cycle just spirals out of control.

My favorite afternoon snacks are a piece of string cheese and a hard boiled egg; carrot and celery sticks with hummus; an apple and a handful of almonds;a serving of greek yogurt; or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with some pumpkin seeds.

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 09:45 AM

As I start paying closer attention to my nutritional needs, I realize that my body needs a lot of protein or else I really feel like crap. Which leads to overeating carbs, which makes me feel crappier and the vicious cycle just spirals out of control.

My favorite afternoon snacks are a piece of string cheese and a hard boiled egg; carrot and celery sticks with hummus; an apple and a handful of almonds;a serving of greek yogurt; or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with some pumpkin seeds.

Dang girl, that's one hell of a "snack."

NormanPride
9/14/2011, 09:50 AM
I can't snack. I turn it into a meal. It's easier for me to just wait an hour or two and then eat something real.

FirstandGoal
9/14/2011, 09:51 AM
Dang girl, that's one hell of a "snack."

I try to make each combo about 150-200 calories. Way less calories than a typical candy bar.

FirstandGoal
9/14/2011, 09:56 AM
I can't snack. I turn it into a meal. It's easier for me to just wait an hour or two and then eat something real.

I've tried this, but it doesn't work well because I try not to have over a 400 calories lunch. At my job, I'm always up and moving around. While its not anywhere near being physically exhausting, I burn way more calories than someone who has a butt-in-chair job. By the time 5-6pm comes around, I'm usually starving. I don't get home from work til either 6:30 or 8pm and if I don't have the afternoon snack, I will go crazy at dinner because I've been hungry for so long.
Way healthier to eat 3 regular meals and one snack than to not eat all day and eat a humongous dinner.

NormanPride
9/14/2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I've got a butt in chair job. :( I hates it.

salth2o
9/14/2011, 02:39 PM

little dog dicks.

8timechamps
9/14/2011, 02:51 PM

Can't do it. I've tried, but it just reminds me of baby food. Everything else I'm on-board with...especially the greek yogurt...GOOOOD stuff!

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 03:42 PM
Trader Joe's Hummus Quartet is dayum yummy baby food.

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 03:44 PM
I ain't crazy about hummus either. It doesn't really have a taste, but all those hairy-pitted hippy chicks love it so I try and steer clear of it.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 03:52 PM
I ain't crazy about hummus either. It doesn't really have a taste, but all those hairy-pitted hippy chicks love it so I try and steer clear of it.

Done properly, with olive oil - lemon juice - red chile paste, fresh pita (or nan), you'd realize why those bush queens like it...and zillions of middle-easternererers.

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2011, 03:54 PM
I'll bet your beetus is going "yeah baby, feed me." Dude, do you wanna die young?

I adjust my insulin accordingly. Not the best way of doing things, but the alternative is that I eat a whole lot less and I need all the food I can get.

My BIL brought me a big box of MREs for my week/weekend long paintball events, but I'm considering trying to eat one every afternoon for awhile just for all of the calories they contain.

My normal weight is about 125 lbs, and I still have a long way to go before I'm back up to that.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 03:59 PM
Ive been looking for those sausages in barbeque sauce for ages!

I bought one can...30 cents...at the Commissary today. For nostalgia's sake.

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 04:07 PM
I adjust my insulin accordingly. Not the best way of doing things, but the alternative is that I eat a whole lot less and I need all the food I can get.

My BIL brought me a big box of MREs for my week/weekend long paintball events, but I'm considering trying to eat one every afternoon for awhile just for all of the calories they contain.

My normal weight is about 125 lbs, and I still have a long way to go before I'm back up to that.

Just eating "calories" ain't what you need. Eating meaningful/useful calories is. Junk food is neither.

If you can choke down a complete MRE, you're gonna get a buttload of calories - and carbs, and carbs ain't good for diabetics. You'd be better off eating Big Macs and **** than snack food.

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 04:08 PM
I bought one can...30 cents...at the Commissary today. For nostalgia's sake.

Before field problems I used to go to the BX and buy about a half-dozen cans, then I'd boost a bottle of A-1 or Tabasco from the chow hall and it supplemented those C-Rations quite well. I probably haven't eaten one in 30-something years.

NormanPride
9/14/2011, 04:12 PM
The fridge/freezer at work is occupied by all the big ladies here with their lean cuisines and salad stuff, so I don't have the ability to store my food in the fridge for any length of time. All my snacks and meals from home have to be able to survive room temperature for about 5 hours at least. I keep everything at my desk as well, since there's no fridge space.

Plus, every time I've put something in there someone else has eaten it before I can get to it.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2011, 04:16 PM
Before field problems I used to go to the BX and buy about a half-dozen cans, then I'd boost a bottle of A-1 or Tabasco from the chow hall and it supplemented those C-Rations quite well. I probably haven't eaten one in 30-something years.

Been at least that long...

...hmmm. Snack time?

mgsooner
9/14/2011, 04:20 PM
Good lord can we all pitch in and pay for this sicem kid to have a personal nutritionist? Sh*t is crazy

SoonerLaw09
9/14/2011, 04:20 PM
Pistachio nuts. You're welcome.

GDC
9/14/2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/meat-cheese.jpg

mgsooner
9/14/2011, 04:32 PM
WTF is that, the calzone burger?

C&CDean
9/14/2011, 04:53 PM
Been at least that long...

...hmmm. Snack time?

No carbs, get after it.

FirstandGoal
9/14/2011, 07:39 PM

Like Dean says, there are quality calories and then there are crap ones.
I know you need to put on weight SicEm, but if you put on 20 pounds of flab then you're gonna have worse problems with your sugars in the long run. Believe it or not, being "skinny-fat" is as bad for your health as being plain ole regular fat. In some cases, its worse because the percentage of lean muscle mass is really skewed when someone is skinny-fat because of their lower body weights.
It is possible to eat healthy and not have it be low-calorie. As long as you're eating more calories than your BMR + your physical activity, you should gain.
Look for fiber in with your carbs so it slows the absorption of sugar and doesn't screw with your sugars as much.

Instead of a candy bar, eat a banana. Instead of a bag of cheetos -- which I'm sure the bag they are in has more nutritional value than what's inside of it-- eat some cheese and nuts. Those calories add up real fast.
While you're at it, have some damned bacon and eggs for breakfast along with some whole-grain toast and preserves and a glass of milk.
Find a good quality protein powder and supplement meals with that.

In short, eat some real damned food, not frankenfood for christ sakes!

Oh, and lean cuisines are total crap. Big ladies who eat those are just gonna stay big cause they might actually have less nutrients than their cardboard containers.

mgsooner
9/14/2011, 08:06 PM
I eat basically the same thing Monday through Thursday, every single week.

Breakfast - Whole wheat english muffin with reduced fat cream cheese and a glass of skim milk. OR a bowl of wheaties.
Morning snack - Yogurt
Lunch - Turkey sandwich with mustard on 100% whole grain bread. 1 banana.
Afternoon snack - sometimes an apple, sometimes a PowerBar "Protein Plus" bar.
Dinner - grilled chicken breast, salad, and a green vegetable.
Evening snack - I've got to be honest, this is when I do the worst. Every single night, without fail, I get cravings. I've basically accepted this and just try to make sure what I eat isn't TOO bad. Sometimes I have a bowl of honey nut cheerios with skim milk. Sometimes I'll have some almonds. Sometimes I'll have some triscuits or wheat thins.

I don't do as well on the weekends, but I just try not to get TOO crazy.

8timechamps
9/14/2011, 09:15 PM

Breakfast - Whole wheat english muffin with reduced fat cream cheese and a glass of skim milk. OR a bowl of wheaties.
Morning snack - Yogurt
Evening snack - I've got to be honest, this is when I do the worst. Every single night, without fail, I get cravings. I've basically accepted this and just try to make sure what I eat isn't TOO bad. Sometimes I have a bowl of honey nut cheerios with skim milk. Sometimes I'll have some almonds. Sometimes I'll have some triscuits or wheat thins.

I used to be the same way, and that's the absolute worst time to eat crap. I decided about 10 years ago to set a cut-off time...it's 8:00pm...after that time, if I can't see through it, I don't eat it. Seems like it took about two or three weeks, but eventually the cravings stopped. On the weekends, I try to stick to it, but sometimes we're out and have dinner later. If I'm going to eat crap (and I still do, just not nearly as much), I eat it during the day or later in the afternoon before I hit the gym.

So far, so good. My cholesterol levels are great, and I've even kept myself off blood pressure meds (which isn't easy as high bp is a family "gift"). Every once in a great while, I get a craving for a DQ Blizzard (don't know why, because I'm not a huge ice cream fan)...but, that's usually it.

8timechamps
9/14/2011, 09:16 PM

Morning snack - Yogurt

I used to be the same way, and that's the absolute worst time to eat crap. I decided about 10 years ago to set a cut-off time...it's 8:00pm...after that time, if I can't see through it, I don't eat it. Seems like it took about two or three weeks, but eventually the cravings stopped. On the weekends, I try to stick to it, but sometimes we're out and have dinner later. If I'm going to eat crap (and I still do, just not nearly as much), I eat it during the day or later in the afternoon before I hit the gym.

So far, so good. My cholesterol levels are great, and I've even kept myself off blood pressure meds (which isn't easy as high bp is a family "gift"). Every once in a great while, I get a craving for a DQ Blizzard (don't know why, because I'm not a huge ice cream fan)...but, that's usually it.