PDA

View Full Version : Have we solved our road woes?

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 04:31 PM
I've heard folks say that we're over the hump when it comes to playing poorly on the road, however, outside of the bedlam game last season, we haven't played well at all away from Norman. Is the win at Rustoleum stadium a good barometer to gauge our play on the road? It was a huge game, a must win game, and we seemed to play much better than our visits to College Station and Columbia. But, how will we handle our trip to Tallahassee?

This is the biggest game FSU has played at home in a decade. The Seminoles have laid eggs when playing ranked opponents over the past ten years, and that includes playing at home.

FSU was a better team at the end of the year (from when we saw them), but so were the Sooners. On paper, OU is the better team, and I happen to believe FSU is overrated to start the season. But, being a night game, at home, in an environment that is sure to have the Seminoles pumped up to start the game, will we be able to take their first blow and keep the tempo going in our favor?

This being a road game is the only thing that worries me.

I don't think this is the last of the tough games until Okie State, but it certainly will be the toughest environment until then.

cccasooner2
9/12/2011, 04:40 PM
I will predict that yes, they have been solved. A source that requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on this topic said "We will treat it like a home game".

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2011, 04:41 PM
No, we are still scheduling road games. I just don't understand it.

The Maestro
9/12/2011, 04:44 PM
Let's not forget the crazy things that happened to start the game at aTm and Missouri last year. We dug early holes and by the time we found ourselves out of the hole, we were out of gas.

Just start normal. We don't have to kill them immediately, but don't blink and be down 14-0 or 10-0 5 minutes into the game.

Oh, and lots of play action pass for their corners that want to make a statement.

rekamrettuB
9/12/2011, 04:47 PM
I've heard folks say that we're over the hump when it comes to playing poorly on the road, however, outside of the bedlam game last season, we haven't played well at all away from Norman. Is the win at Rustoleum stadium a good barometer to gauge our play on the road? It was a huge game, a must win game, and we seemed to play much better than our visits to College Station and Columbia. But, how will we handle our trip to Tallahassee?

OU finished the year with 4 really solid games away from Norman (Baylor, Ok State, Nebraska, and UConn). A lot of teams are going to struggle on the road. It's why betting lines favor home teams...no surprise. The Ok State and Nebraska games (the comeback from 17-0) should give this team the motivation to put those thoughts behind them.

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 04:53 PM

I see that you haven't gotten any funnier over the weekend. :O

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 04:56 PM
OU finished the year with 4 really solid games away from Norman (Baylor, Ok State, Nebraska, and UConn). A lot of teams are going to struggle on the road. It's why betting lines favor home teams...no surprise. The Ok State and Nebraska games (the comeback from 17-0) should give this team the motivation to put those thoughts behind them.

We did finish strong away from Norman, but I don't really see the Big XII championship game or the Fiesta Bowl as a true road game (by that, I mean a game at the opponents home field). Baylor would count, and they did have a decent team last year (I had kinda overlooked that).

I hope that winning the last four away from Norman has instilled confidence, we're going to need it Saturday.

MojoRisen
9/12/2011, 04:56 PM
We got the experience now, we just need to make sure we don't dig a hole early on. Like a Kickoff for 105 yards to start off the game.

FSU is going to come out head hunting - our guys need to be mentally ready to take on the initial barrage and weather the storm - no interceptions early and stout D.

BigTip
9/12/2011, 04:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post

It made me laugh!

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 05:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post

It made me laugh!

Don't admit that. It only encourages BoulderSooner79 to post more.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2011, 05:20 PM

How could I get funnier when my gage is already pegged at 11 ?

soonerboomer93
9/12/2011, 05:24 PM

realize that the scale is out of 100?

BigTip
9/12/2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.studiovictorny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/spinal_tap-gal-431.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5xHhfW50Z_s/SV2r-ql-TvI/AAAAAAAABMQ/JxXHtJIo_uU/s400/these+go+to+11.jpg

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 08:47 PM
"See, this one goes to eleven...so, it's one louder, innit?"

TrophyCollector
9/12/2011, 08:59 PM
Go back and watch the Cincy game, even mizzou and atm were improvements in some areas. Continued with BU, sheep shaggers, corn and conns. Not sure road woes ever go away, but improvement and maturity growth was obvious.

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 09:03 PM
Go back and watch the Cincy game, even mizzou and atm were improvements in some areas. Continued with BU, sheep shaggers, corn and conns. Not sure road woes ever go away, but improvement and maturity growth was obvious.

Yeah, after thinking about the way we finished (as pointed out by rekamrettuB above), I guess I'm probably worried about too much. It does seem like we have found some rhythm on the road. It's still going to be a hostile environment, and we'll get their best for the first few minutes, but I think if we can withstand the initial blow, we'll be just fine.

rock on sooner
9/12/2011, 09:03 PM
Someone start this thread again about 11:30 Eastern Saturday night. If what I think will happen, ANY question will be answered then.
Boomer Sooner!!!!!

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2011, 09:13 PM
This^

CowboyMRW
9/12/2011, 09:21 PM

This is the biggest game FSU has played at home in a decade. The Seminoles have laid eggs when playing ranked opponents over the past ten years, and that includes playing at home.

FSU was a better team at the end of the year (from when we saw them), but so were the Sooners. On paper, OU is the better team, and I happen to believe FSU is overrated to start the season. But, being a night game, at home, in an environment that is sure to have the Seminoles pumped up to start the game, will we be able to take their first blow and keep the tempo going in our favor?

This being a road game is the only thing that worries me.

I don't think this is the last of the tough games until Okie State, but it certainly will be the toughest environment until then.

You can say small or never sold out or something along those lines, but not rustoleum stadium

thecrimsoncrusader
9/12/2011, 09:26 PM
If a 9-4 NC State team can win there last season in the second half of the season, I imagine this Oklahoma team can win there. Just limit the turnovers to one and don't allow any kickoff returns for a touchdown.

TrophyCollector
9/12/2011, 09:27 PM
You can say small or never sold out or something along those lines, but not rustoleum stadium

If you paint over rust, is it still rusty? Maybe we could go with Eastwest Field.

CowboyMRW
9/12/2011, 09:30 PM
If you paint over rust, is it still rusty? Maybe we could go with Eastwest Field.

I do like Eastwest field. We redid everything so we didn't necessarily paint over the rust.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/12/2011, 09:48 PM
If Oklahoma played better on the road, they would be undefeated almost every season. That's pretty damn near impossible and against the law of averages. You can't always win them all and I rather see the Sooners lose on the road than at home like Texas, USC, Georgia, etc. does frequently. That was one crappy feeling as a fan being in the stands for the 2001 OSU game and the 2005 TCU game.

prrriiide
9/12/2011, 09:50 PM

Gage:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/OKMap-doton-Gage.PNG

Gauge:

http://www.die-space.com/Images/Humor/Funny_Animated_Graphics/images/BS_Meter.gif

That is all.

SoonerMarkVA
9/12/2011, 09:55 PM
Saturday will certainly give us a good opportunity to find out.

prrriiide
9/12/2011, 09:57 PM

You think they actually sanded the rust off before they slapped paint on that place?

btb916
9/12/2011, 10:50 PM
We did finish strong away from Norman, but I don't really see the Big XII championship game or the Fiesta Bowl as a true road game (by that, I mean a game at the opponents home field). Baylor would count, and they did have a decent team last year (I had kinda overlooked that).

I hope that winning the last four away from Norman has instilled confidence, we're going to need it Saturday.

The Big XII title game in Arlington was like a road game because the number of Nebraska fans was significantly larger than the number of OU fans. When Nebraska came onto the field, it was to a roar of approval that hit me like a strong wave. When OU came out...it was pretty timid. There was also significant adversity in that game, and we overcame it in a tough environment. That's really the heart of a road game -- dealing with adversity when everyone wants you to fail. And so to me the Big XII title game is a good forecast for how we will play Saturday.

The Ghost of Mex
9/12/2011, 10:55 PM
If we can not "shoot ourselves in the foot", then no road woes this trip...

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 12:26 AM
I'm going to say it.

Ever since I sat in disbelief and watched Buff come back at Folsom Field while our high-powered offense just sat and idled, I have believed that KW had a complex of conservatism and worry in big games on the road. I've suspected his arrogance tied him up in knots, making him terrified of making a mistake. We have had that persona ever since, with the exception of our drubbing of aggy last year.

I could be wrong, but if our new OC/playcaller stays fresh and aggressive, our aura of road woes goes away and we take care of biz in Talahassee Saturday. We'll simply outscore them.

Curly Bill
9/13/2011, 12:55 AM
Still an open case. Saturday will go a good ways to giving us some indication of having solved our road woes or not.

...and yeah, I'll go along with that KW stuff above.

EatLeadCommie
9/13/2011, 01:06 AM
We haven't shown anything in a hostile environment, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Baylor counts, and obviously the bowl and CCG games don't. The Pokes are a crazy rivalry game, and one that we didn't put away until the end.

We have looked improved at times, but people forget just how godawful we can be on the road as a team, and with Landry in particular. We left 27 points on the field at aTm last year, and just blew chunks at Mizzou.

I'm not gonna hold my breath on this Saturday, but I am hopeful that we can get things done. The good thing I saw from Landry against Tulsa is that for the first time in a long time, and maybe ever, he did not have any boneheaded plays. Eliminating those mistakes will be key for our success this year. That and finding a kicker that doesn't suck, which doesn't look like it's going to happen.

CowboyMRW
9/13/2011, 01:09 AM
You think they actually sanded the rust off before they slapped paint on that place?

I know they did, as I did it all by hand

yankee
9/13/2011, 01:59 AM
This team has swag. They're confident and definitely not intimidated by a road environment, especially now that all those freshmen that played last season are growed up.

Curly Bill
9/13/2011, 02:06 AM
This team has swag. They're confident and definitely not intimidated by a road environment, especially now that all those freshmen that played last season are growed up.

Hopefully so, but what evidence do we actually have of this?

FirstandGoal
9/13/2011, 08:37 AM
If Oklahoma played better on the road, we would be undefeated since 2005. That's pretty damn near impossible and against the law of averages. You can't always win them all and I rather see the Sooners lose on the road than at home like Texas, USC, Georgia, etc. does frequently. That was one crappy feeling as a fan being in the stands for the 2001 OSU game and the 2005 TCU game.

FIFY

This point has a lot of merit. Think about being undefeated for 6 years.... completely unrealistic.
Our ability to win at home is insane. In fact, is really not even fair to compare our home vs. road stats because our home record is what it is.

That being said, there was quite a bit of drop-off in our road performances in the last couple of years, but I agree with LB. I do think a lot of that was KW being KW. Can't wait to see how we do Saturday.

rekamrettuB
9/13/2011, 09:12 AM
We haven't shown anything in a hostile environment, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Baylor counts, and obviously the bowl and CCG games don't. The Pokes are a crazy rivalry game, and one that we didn't put away until the end.

You're right tha Baylor isn't a hostile environment but it used to not matter. OU let road teams, any road team, hang with them. Cincy 2010, Iowa St 2007 to name a few that OU held on to win.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/13/2011, 10:51 AM
Hopefully so, but what evidence do we actually have of this?

Those last two passes Landry threw against Oklahoma St. Even though OSU's defense sucks, that was a much tougher game for Oklahoma than the FSU game will be this season for Oklahoma. OSU plays way above their heads against Oklahoma.

Curly Bill
9/13/2011, 01:33 PM
Those last two passes Landry threw against Oklahoma St. Even though OSU's defense sucks, that was a much tougher game for Oklahoma than the FSU game will be this season for Oklahoma. OSU plays way above their heads against Oklahoma.

But the poster I responded to said this team is not intimidated by the road environment. You are obviously referencing last years team. So...this years team has not proven anything on the road.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/13/2011, 01:45 PM
Offensively? Yes
Defensively? No

Once our defense figures out how to get an opponent off the field in the 3rd and 4th quarter then we'll have figured them out

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2011, 01:56 PM
But the poster I responded to said this team is not intimidated by the road environment. You are obviously referencing last years team. So...this years team has not proven anything on the road.

Exactly. We don't have a huge amount of data on either team. Bottom line is that home field is an advantage and even if FSU wins, it won't prove we have "road woes". It could just be the teams are very close and the home field tipped the scales. I'll judge by what I see on the field. If they stay poised and fight for 4 qtrs regardless of any adversity, I won't blame a loss on road woes.

8timechamps
9/13/2011, 02:12 PM
It seems that the hardest thing a team has to face on the road (against a quality opponent) is weathering the initial surge of emotion. I think this team can do that. I also watched Landry make some good decisions against Tulsa two weeks ago, so I hope that carries over to FSU. One play in particular, he threw the ball 15 feet above the closest player, and out of bounds (maybe the incident in Stillwater last year is burnt into his memory).

Curly Bill makes the point that is most valid in my mind, we know that last year's team was able to play better on the road in the second half of the season...the question is; will this year's team (while better as a whole), be able to keep that momentum.

I can't help but think that the loss of Austin Box has this team so motivated, so focused, that they will step up to any emotional challenge they face. Physically, we are better than any team we will play this year, so emotions/mentality is the missing piece...and I think they've found it.

Curly Bill
9/13/2011, 07:01 PM
It seems that the hardest thing a team has to face on the road (against a quality opponent) is weathering the initial surge of emotion. I think this team can do that. I also watched Landry make some good decisions against Tulsa two weeks ago, so I hope that carries over to FSU. One play in particular, he threw the ball 15 feet above the closest player, and out of bounds (maybe the incident in Stillwater last year is burnt into his memory).

Curly Bill makes the point that is most valid in my mind, we know that last year's team was able to play better on the road in the second half of the season...the question is; will this year's team (while better as a whole), be able to keep that momentum.

I can't help but think that the loss of Austin Box has this team so motivated, so focused, that they will step up to any emotional challenge they face. Physically, we are better than any team we will play this year, so emotions/mentality is the missing piece...and I think they've found it.

Need to put this in my signature. :victorious:

thecrimsoncrusader
9/13/2011, 07:20 PM

This year's team is last year's team with the exception of improved DT play and more physically developed young players that started as true freshmen last season and just more overall experience. Oh yea, and a better offensive play caller that doesn't have his offensive linemen in a 3 point stance near the goal line for 5 minutes before snapping the ball and one that can run the ball better since Kevin Wilson is gone. The same Kevin Wilson that was responsible for USC reading Oklahoma's run-game like a book in the 2004 season. He wasn't the offensive coordinator then, but he was a big part of the problem in that game on the offensive side of the ball after the 5 turnovers of course.

This team doesn't have to prove it, they already did last year. This isn't a new team. This is a team that went through the trials and tribulations of the 2009 season that included inexperience, injuries, heartbreak of single digit point losses and showed signs of growth last season and got a taste of being ranked #1 for a week. They now know what to do and what not to do when ranked as the #1 team in the nation. They have seen it all. They're ready.

LVSOONER15
9/13/2011, 07:25 PM
I really think our road woes ended last year at am. We are a whole different team and slot better team.

cccasooner2
9/13/2011, 07:35 PM
If Oklahoma played better on the road, they would be undefeated almost every season. That's pretty damn near impossible and against the law of averages. You can't always win them all and I rather see the Sooners lose on the road than at home like Texas, USC, Georgia, etc. does frequently. That was one crappy feeling as a fan being in the stands for the 2001 OSU game and the 2005 TCU game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_averages

The law of averages is a fiction.

Okie35
9/13/2011, 08:30 PM
I really think our road woes ended last year at am. We are a whole different team and a lot better team.

I think they ended last year too. Its actually been a process since 09 like crimson crusader said.

8timechamps
9/13/2011, 10:06 PM
This team doesn't have to prove it, they already did last year. This isn't a new team. This is a team that went through the trials and tribulations of the 2009 season that included inexperience, injuries, heartbreak of single digit point losses and showed signs of growth last season and got a taste of being ranked #1 for a week.

I've heard this same argument several times, but I just don't get it. How many guys that played (I mean really played) on the 09 team are starters on this team? I don't fully discount what you're saying, as there are some key guys leftover from that team, but this is a completely different team. Better, to be sure, but different.

Now, if the argument is that this years team grew from last years road issues, that I can agree with. But I just don't think that the 2009 team is the same team we see in 2011.

All things considered, I really hope you're right (and I tend to think the same).

SoonerShay
9/13/2011, 10:54 PM
I've heard this same argument several times, but I just don't get it. How many guys that played (I mean really played) on the 09 team are starters on this team? I don't fully discount what you're saying, as there are some key guys leftover from that team, but this is a completely different team. Better, to be sure, but different.

Now, if the argument is that this years team grew from last years road issues, that I can agree with. But I just don't think that the 2009 team is the same team we see in 2011.

All things considered, I really hope you're right (and I tend to think the same).

Landry, Habern, Jarvis J., Good, Frank Alexander, Lewis and Lewis, Hurst, Ratteree, Hanna, Broyles, Miller, Evans, King, McFarland, off the top of my head. So a significant amount of players saw time in 09. Almost every single one of these players had to play against Stanford in the bowl game.

BlownGP
9/13/2011, 11:29 PM
This team doesn't have to prove it, they already did last year. This isn't a new team. This is a team that went through the trials and tribulations of the 2009 season that included inexperience, injuries, heartbreak of single digit point losses and showed signs of growth last season and got a taste of being ranked #1 for a week. They now know what to do and what not to do when ranked as the #1 team in the nation. They have seen it all. They're ready.

^^^^ This..

Am I still scared about us losing to a good team on the road? YEAH!! But not nearly as much as last year.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/14/2011, 07:30 AM

So is Wikipedia.

Mobman
9/14/2011, 07:57 AM
I dont think you ever solve road woes and by winning one game that wont change. What I do hope though is that we play well, dont make stupid mistakes or stupid turnovers. If we play great and lose that is one thing but too look like a MNC contender at home and get blown out on the road is an entirely different thing.

JLMSOONER
9/14/2011, 10:05 AM
I wish we had already played a road game against a lesser foe this year, but it is what it is. Both teams are fairly intact from last year. I would think that losing your 1st round draft pick QB would be the biggest difference. Not taking anything away from EJ, just sayin'. I do worry about those passes to the flat though. Tulsa was close to a pick 6 a couple of times.

gernblansten
9/14/2011, 11:27 AM
This year's team is last year's team with the exception of improved DT play and more physically developed young players that started as true freshmen last season and just more overall experience. Oh yea, and a better offensive play caller that doesn't have his offensive linemen in a 3 point stance near the goal line for 5 minutes before snapping the ball and one that can run the ball better since Kevin Wilson is gone. The same Kevin Wilson that was responsible for USC reading Oklahoma's run-game like a book in the 2004 season. He wasn't the offensive coordinator then, but he was a big part of the problem in that game on the offensive side of the ball after the 5 turnovers of course.

The offensive problems against SC stemmed from them being better than the interior of our OL. Which was the same problem in 2003 against LSU.

Lawton4Life
9/14/2011, 11:45 AM
The offensive problems against SC stemmed from them being better than the interior of our OL. Which was the same problem in 2003 against LSU.

Yep. Oregeon who was their DL coach at the time, told his guys if they get blocked by an OU lineman not named Joseph or Brown to not even come back to the huddle...basically saying the other 3 players on our line were crap.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/14/2011, 11:47 AM

A lot of the key players on this team were key players on the 2009 team, especially at the leadership positions. I hate to cite just one example, but limited on time right now, but I think it's safe to say that Landry isn't the same QB now that threw 5 picks against Nebraska in the 2009 season. :fat:

thecrimsoncrusader
9/14/2011, 11:51 AM

Yes, it certainly looks that way when the opposing defense is reading the opposing offense like a book. USC's backers were going to the point of attack just as Oklahoma was snapping the ball and before A.D. ever got the ball. The problem in the 2003 season game against LSU was Jason White having a broken hand on his throwing arm. LSU only allowed 3 rushing touchdowns all season long in the 2003 season. Oklahoma had 2 in that game alone.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2011, 11:54 AM
A lot of the key players on this team were key players on the 2009 team, especially at the leadership positions. I hate to cite just one example, but limited on time right now, but I think it's safe to say that Landry isn't the same QB now that threw 5 picks against Nebraska in the 2009 season. :fat:

And it's safe to say this years Oline isn't the same as the one in '09 which may have been Stoops' weakest. And that '09 NU defense may have been the best in the country from midyear on. I don't think the FSU D is on that level. Bottom line: we win, road issues will be declared solved. Lose, and they'll be plenty of threads discussing it.

PrideMom
9/14/2011, 01:05 PM
Keep our Number 1 quarterback from getting hurt, the records would be different and people would shut up. Also, as I recall the Big XII championship games were all road games, and we won 7 out of 8. The one OU lost was when Kansas State had a late hit on White, and he does not remember the game after that......

soonerboomer93
9/14/2011, 01:09 PM

You didn't even notice the BIG *** disclaimer at the top of that page?

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (February 2009)

Wikipedia isn't a valid source for reseach, etc. For some quick information it might be okay, but considering that it is user edited and subject to change at any time, by anyone.

gernblansten
9/14/2011, 01:10 PM
Yes, it certainly looks that way when the opposing defense is reading the opposing offense like a book. USC's backers were going to the point of attack just as Oklahoma was snapping the ball and before A.D. ever got the ball. The problem in the 2003 season game against LSU was Jason White having a broken hand on his throwing arm. LSU only allowed 3 rushing touchdowns all season long in the 2003 season. Oklahoma had 2 in that game alone.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion that somehow Kevin Wilson is to blame for the SC loss.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion regarding White's injuries against LSU being the problem. You're even entitled to cite our 2 rushing TDs as some sort of evidence that we ran the ball well that game. You want, you can even ignore the fact our RBs ripped off 2.9 yards per carry with a long of 9 yards.

You don't even need to look at those impressive TD drives either. If you did, though:

1/goal from LSU 2: run for 1
2/goal from LSU 1: incomplete
3/goal from LSU 1: run for 1
Impressive 2 yard TD drive

1/10 from LSU 30: run for -2
2/12 from LSU 32: incomplete
3/12 from LSU 32: incomplete
4/12 from LSU 32: complete for 20
1/10 from LSU 12: run for 6
2/4 from LSU 6: complete for 5
1/goal from LSU 1: sack for -4
2/goal from LSU 5: run for 4
Impressive 31 yard TD drive

You can look at it any way you want. But, our offense got its tail kicked all over the field.

The Maestro
9/14/2011, 01:22 PM
Offensively? Yes
Defensively? No

Once our defense figures out how to get an opponent off the field in the 3rd and 4th quarter then we'll have figured them out

Well stated. Again, I say if FSU cannot put pressure on Landry and if we have a decent run game, scoring less than 30 seems highly unlikely. If our D makes the key plays during the key moments of the game, fans will be exiting the stands mid-4th quarter and the OU folks in white will get to celebrate the last moments of the night.

OUmillenium
9/14/2011, 02:26 PM
Been wondering about "road woes" for months with this team (actually years w this staff). i think we have excellent weapons on offense and will get our points.

How will the defense perform? We cant give up 30+ and always expext our O to light it up.

I am going to have some OU-texass like anxiety for this.

8timechamps
9/14/2011, 02:42 PM
Landry, Habern, Jarvis J., Good, Frank Alexander, Lewis and Lewis, Hurst, Ratteree, Hanna, Broyles, Miller, Evans, King, McFarland, off the top of my head. So a significant amount of players saw time in 09. Almost every single one of these players had to play against Stanford in the bowl game.

Okay, maybe my memory is crap (well, not maybe, it is). I still worry about the road. Until THIS year's team goes on the road, for a big game, and wins, I'll remain worried. Let's hope that is all history come Sunday morning.

Curly Bill
9/14/2011, 10:44 PM

Have you ever been a player or a coach? Every year is a new year.

Curly Bill
9/14/2011, 10:47 PM
Okay, maybe my memory is crap (well, not maybe, it is). I still worry about the road. Until THIS year's team goes on the road, for a big game, and wins, I'll remain worried. Let's hope that is all history come Sunday morning.

This^^^

sooner KB
9/15/2011, 02:42 AM
So we are having to play a tough road game, and now we may have glow sticks to contend with?

I think we might be doomed.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=116228665147342

For those without facebook:

Alright, we all wanna make this the best game Doak has ever seen right? Well here's an idea that has never been seen before in Tallahassee that could make our Home Field Advantage almost unfair.

As Seminole fans, we are known around the world for one thing: The Warchant. Well imagine this: 85,000 crazy loud obnoxious fans doing the warchant, yellling, etc..... with glowsticks (or some form of light) in their hands.

Could you imagine how insane that would be?! And this is a plausible idea, it is circulating on multiple social networking sites as we speak!

BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Everyone in the group needs to invite all of their friends, and let everyone know who is attending the game: WE'RE GONNA LIGHT UP DOAK.

So invite your friends, post this event EVERYWHERE, and lets get Doak rockin for what could be one of the biggest games in Seminole History.

FEAR THE SPEAR!!!

There are currently 1,684 people "attending."

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/15/2011, 03:21 PM
You're certainly entitled to your opinion that somehow Kevin Wilson is to blame for the SC loss.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion regarding White's injuries against LSU being the problem. You're even entitled to cite our 2 rushing TDs as some sort of evidence that we ran the ball well that game. You want, you can even ignore the fact our RBs ripped off 2.9 yards per carry with a long of 9 yards.

You don't even need to look at those impressive TD drives either. If you did, though:

1/goal from LSU 2: run for 1
2/goal from LSU 1: incomplete
Impressive 2 yard TD drive

1/10 from LSU 30: run for -2
2/12 from LSU 32: incomplete
3/12 from LSU 32: incomplete
4/12 from LSU 32: complete for 20
1/10 from LSU 12: run for 6
2/4 from LSU 6: complete for 5
1/goal from LSU 1: sack for -4
2/goal from LSU 5: run for 4
Impressive 31 yard TD drive

You can look at it any way you want. But, our offense got its tail kicked all over the field.

I don't know what you are trying to prove here. Our O was totally outclassed on the edges, not the middle. Their DBs pretty much owned our WRs. LSU had one DT that played out of his mind against us for 3 quarters (levalier?) even though we owned the rest of the line of scrimmage. However, chuck being chuck, he took what he wanted, not what the defense gave him and kept running at the guy. In the 4th quarter when lev faded, we started ripping off chunks of yards at a time.

Looking back, it was just horrible offensive gameplanning on our part. LSU gave us so many things that we just refused to take advantage of, yet we were still in the game at the end.

JiminyChristmas
9/15/2011, 03:40 PM
All the "road woes" talk is junk. Just like every year is a new year, every game is a new game. Each one has unique events that make it go one way or another.

You really think last year's Mizzou game and aTm game are somehow connected? Heck no. The whole road issue is way overblown by the media.

Yes, playing on the road is different than at home, but the losses we have had on the road are due to the plays made or not made in each individual game. Not some fundamental problem in our approach or preparation.

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 03:52 PM
All the "road woes" talk is junk. Just like every year is a new year, every game is a new game. Each one has unique events that make it go one way or another.

You really think last year's Mizzou game and aTm game are somehow connected? Heck no. The whole road issue is way overblown by the media.

Yes, playing on the road is different than at home, but the losses we have had on the road are due to the plays made or not made in each individual game. Not some fundamental problem in our approach or preparation.

Huh? Even coach Stoops has addressed road problems in the past. This hasn't been some crazy anomaly. If you think so, great...I wish I could believe the way you do.

JiminyChristmas
9/15/2011, 04:23 PM
Coach Stoops responded to the road "problems" at this weeks presser. In a nutshell, he said 1) our road record is better than most and 2) that maybe if we didn't win so much at home, people wouldn't focus on the road.

To me that sounds like he is saying hogwash to it. I have heard him address bowl game preparation changes, but not in season road games. Maybe I missed it.

8timechamps
9/15/2011, 04:24 PM
Good, I hope he (and the team) do feel that way. Unfortunately, the recent record speaks for itself (barring the end of last season).

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2011, 06:33 PM
Good, I hope he (and the team) do feel that way. Unfortunately, the recent record speaks for itself (barring the end of last season).

There is a home field advantage. Period. It works that way for all good teams - meaning their record will be better at home. The statistics support it over a very long sample period and it is factored into betting lines where people *really* track such things. There have been teams with sparkling road records over given intervals, but they are the exception. OU's road record under Stoops is pretty good, but not up there with the USC Caroll years. But few teams were and USC is now losing road games. Times change. The 2 teams we lost to last year outplayed us and our team wasn't good enough to overcome the home field advantage - I saw no road woes outside the realities of away games. In '09, we had a slightly above average team at best and all our tough games happened to be on the road, so the numbers were skewed. I'm more amazed that squad kept the home win streak going than about the road record.

btb916
9/15/2011, 10:37 PM
There is a home field advantage. Period. It works that way for all good teams - meaning their record will be better at home. The statistics support it over a very long sample period and it is factored into betting lines where people *really* track such things. There have been teams with sparkling road records over given intervals, but they are the exception. OU's road record under Stoops is pretty good, but not up there with the USC Caroll years. But few teams were and USC is now losing road games. Times change. The 2 teams we lost to last year outplayed us and our team wasn't good enough to overcome the home field advantage - I saw no road woes outside the realities of away games. In '09, we had a slightly above average team at best and all our tough games happened to be on the road, so the numbers were skewed. I'm more amazed that squad kept the home win streak going than about the road record.

Stop being reasonable and optimistic. It's no fun.

gernblansten
9/16/2011, 09:00 AM
I don't know what you are trying to prove here. Our O was totally outclassed on the edges, not the middle. Their DBs pretty much owned our WRs. LSU had one DT that played out of his mind against us for 3 quarters (levalier?) even though we owned the rest of the line of scrimmage. However, chuck being chuck, he took what he wanted, not what the defense gave him and kept running at the guy. In the 4th quarter when lev faded, we started ripping off chunks of yards at a time.

Looking back, it was just horrible offensive gameplanning on our part. LSU gave us so many things that we just refused to take advantage of, yet we were still in the game at the end.

RBs don't go for 2.9 ypc if the you own the line of scrimmage. Further, you don't have 150 yards of total offense and claim ownership of anything outside of a tail kicking.

Sooners78
9/16/2011, 09:13 AM
I don't include Baylor. It's more like a neutral field because we fill half their stadium.